Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tequila Bob posted:

Is the Injustice comic worth reading? That page makes me want to give it a shot.

The art is really wonky in spots and the first few issues are tough to get through, but I've heard nothing but good things about the story.

Well, aside from the fridging, but that falls under "the first few issues are tough".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Tequila Bob posted:

Is the Injustice comic worth reading? That page makes me want to give it a shot.
As a whole, yeah. There's some bumps in the road, but it's totally balanced out by issues like Superman revenge-tweeting against Batman, or the Flash playing a game of chess against Superman. It's actually a fascinating read, doubly so since it was just a tie-in comic to promote a video game (that, supposedly, sold so well they told Tom Taylor to just keep writing past the point that the comic was supposed to end on).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's my favorite DC comic besides Dial H. I freaking love it. It has tons of amazing character moments.

As for the art issues, the print edition features art fixes, so it might be worth waiting on those.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 8, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Hey guys, I thought you might appreciate this meta-commentary from this week's issue of Injustice.

I want to take a picture of myself with these pages in a thought bubble as I do the "Spider-Man No More" pose with a stack of New 52 comics in the trash can, then mail it to Dan DiDio.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's probably one of the best thing DC is putting out right now, it way above the majority of DC's output.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
According to the solicits, DC is dropping the combo pack on Action Comics with issue 25. A real shame for me, since the fact it came polybagged was a great safeguard against Diamond frequently shipping my store damaged books.

As for the issue itself, I couldn't care less about how it ties into Zero Year, but Pak getting to write more t-shirt Superman sounds great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

According to the solicits, DC is dropping the combo pack on Action Comics with issue 25. A real shame for me, since the fact it came polybagged was a great safeguard against Diamond frequently shipping my store damaged books.

As for the issue itself, I couldn't care less about how it ties into Zero Year, but Pak getting to write more t-shirt Superman sounds great.

They're dropping it because almost no retailers were ordering it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Also the cover to that Zero Year issue is the best.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'm disappointed Greg Pak's starting his Action Comics run with a Zero Year tie in but hopefully it'll have some relevance to the stories he writes afterwards, rather than just being some token, incredibly unnecessary, Batman cameo like in Superman Unchained.

Aaron Kuder's art looks great in that cover. I especially love how those thunder clouds look.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 14, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I'm disappointed Greg Pak's starting his Action Comics run with a Zero Year tie in but hopefully it'll have some relevance to the stories he writes afterwards, rather than just being some token, incredibly unnecessary, Batman cameo like in Superman Unchained.

Aaron Kuder's art looks great in that cover. I especially love how those thunder clouds look.

Kuder's going to slay that book. After his Superman vs Orion issue I am super hyped for this run.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
I hope that Action will just be all fights, all the time whenever Kuder draws it.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

They're dropping it because almost no retailers were ordering it.
That's a shame. It's so nice having a digital backup, but honestly DC did it completely wrong by having to print a separate sku and charge more for it. Marvel's more on the nose of where digital copies need to be, even if they end up overpricing a lot of their books to claim "added value".

Slightly related, I wonder how long it'll be before they drop the combo pack from Green Lantern as well, since even regular sales of that have nosedived after Johns left, and I'm not seeing much of a reason to preserve Venditti's run digitally when I'm not liking it in print.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

That's a shame. It's so nice having a digital backup, but honestly DC did it completely wrong by having to print a separate sku and charge more for it. Marvel's more on the nose of where digital copies need to be, even if they end up overpricing a lot of their books to claim "added value".

Slightly related, I wonder how long it'll be before they drop the combo pack from Green Lantern as well, since even regular sales of that have nosedived after Johns left, and I'm not seeing much of a reason to preserve Venditti's run digitally when I'm not liking it in print.

You hit it on the head buddy. Just another case of DC's head being right up their rear end.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That Cyborg Superman reveal :staredog:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That Cyborg Superman reveal :staredog:

I like it, certainly not what I was expecting!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
This whole arc makes it seem like we're going to get a version of the shape-changing Supergirl iteration.

Matrix or something wasn't it called?

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I haven't been keeping up on this thread since I'm on a break from comics for a bit, but I'm just going to pretend that Superman is starring in this and is merely affecting a British accent because he just feels like doing it today.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
H'el is shaping to be a interesting character and his issue at least has convinced me to pick up the crossover if only to see how the heck they resolved this cliffhanger H'el kills Zod and Jor-El :stare:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

H'el is shaping to be a interesting character and his issue at least has convinced me to pick up the crossover if only to see how the heck they resolved this cliffhanger H'el kills Zod and Jor-El :stare:

That sounds incredibly stupid. Not that I ever had any interest in H'el to begin with.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I feel like that's, if anything, an indicator that everything will be restored exactly as it was before his time-travel fuckery. Usually any status-quo shifting stuff is done in a subtle "oh no, it's so ingrained now we cant change it without breaking time" way. By going all-out right off the bat, and especially involving Zod who is getting a big push in one of the books soon, it ensures things will need to be thoroughly reset before the other writers can run with the character.

Probably not a bad thing, truthfully. I was worried DC was going to let Lobdell do something insanely dumb like have Superman prevent Krypton from having never exploded. Sometimes, rarely, there's a (slight) upside to DC editorial not allowing significant changes to their books.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Luthor appears to have gotten plastic surgery for his scars so he'll never have those lame scars ever again.

Yet another reason to ignore H'el on Earth entirely.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They hadn't even explained where he got them yet had they?
I assume it's patchwork for nobody telling Finch he was supposed to have scars.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 19, 2013

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Jim Lee did the same thing for Superman Unchained.

And also I think Andy Diggle's Hybrid story was supposed to explain them but that never materialised.

In the end I just think nobody at DC liked Lobdell's scars thing...

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Adventures of Superman is really run-of-the-mill stuff, but on the other hand it's kind of a breath of fresh air relative to a lot of poo poo DC is putting out right now. I love the variety in artists and writers, and sometimes it's just good to get a jaunt in the head of one of my favorite characters in the universe.

The fourth issue just came out and it's a joy to have. Love that cover, love goofy stories about how petty Lex Luthor can be, love people talking poo poo about Superman and enjoying the company of Clark Kent. Also the art is a lot of fun throughout, which only makes me more resentful of DC's "house" style. I hope you all are telling DC to keep doing poo poo like this with your dollars.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Oh, absolutely, DC Digital gets a buck from me every time there's a new chapter of Adventures of Superman. It can be a little hit-or-miss - I especially am not fond of the writer telling me how great Superman is rather than showing me - but when the series is on, it's on.

That issue by Michael Oeming is a tearjerker. Just right in the heart.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I really liked Doomsday's issue, the way Pak handled him was fantastic no origin, only tales telling his terryfying power. The way he dealed with Death of Superman was also pretty clever since worked like a cliff notes onf the event without telling when or if already happened on the N52.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Doomsday was great and I liked how Death of Superman was told in a kind of Kryptonian folklore feel that was really interesting.

Parasite had a lot of potential and I've come to really love Aaron Kuder's art, it's fantastic and really detailed. I just wish Parasite wasn't so heavily tied to Diggle/Daniels' Hybrid story as I found that really crap and I also wished it wasn't tied to Forever Evil. It was interesting and actually funny at times but it should have been a lot more standalone as a Parasite origins issue.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Parasite was pretty enjoyable, the art was absolutely killer. I can't wait to see what he'll do on Action.

Metallo was okay. I was a bit surprised they stuck with his look from Morrison's run with the human head, I would've figured they'd transition him over to being a full robot by now, but I guess they can always do that down the road.

Doomsday turned out to be pretty enjoyable, especially for being about a monster who just growls and attacks stuff. It also fit nicely in with Pak's Zod issue in establishing the Kryptonian backstory, and how Zod wound up being imprisoned. Dude really loved faking attacks, I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Cliff Chiang variant to Superman / Wonder Woman #1 is lovely.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Rhyno posted:

The Cliff Chiang variant to Superman / Wonder Woman #1 is lovely.

The new 52 costume looks so much better when the stupid lines are toned down. If we could just get rid of that collar it might actually look good.

I don't particularly like the SM/WW ship but Chiang making them form a heart as they fly is actually a nice touch.

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

Swillkitsch posted:

Adventures of Superman is really run-of-the-mill stuff, but on the other hand it's kind of a breath of fresh air relative to a lot of poo poo DC is putting out right now. I love the variety in artists and writers, and sometimes it's just good to get a jaunt in the head of one of my favorite characters in the universe.

The fourth issue just came out and it's a joy to have. Love that cover, love goofy stories about how petty Lex Luthor can be, love people talking poo poo about Superman and enjoying the company of Clark Kent. Also the art is a lot of fun throughout, which only makes me more resentful of DC's "house" style. I hope you all are telling DC to keep doing poo poo like this with your dollars.

Sometimes I wish DC would take this anthology approach to all of it's titles and forget having a specific continuity. Just let writers and artists do whatever story they want with whatever version of the character they like. You don't have to tie into events or follow what the previous creative team did, just do self contained stuff. Maybe it's too unwieldy to do all of the titles like that.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I bought the Superman/Wonder Woman comic digitally and am somewhat dismayed it didn't come with the Cliff Chiang cover attached. The art in the issue is good, even if it's a little plain.

Honestly, even as a long-time Superman fan, I don't dislike the idea of Clark and Diana as a couple on principle. I think what most bothers me about it is just the precedent Johns has set in the Justice League books, and which I guess is going to be status quo for their relationship in this new comic. We're supposed to think they complement each other because they've both got that "stranger in a strange land" thing going on, but I don't think I buy it in this format, especially while reading Azzarello's Wonder Woman concurrently: Diana is somewhat alienated from the world of man, but on the other hand, she's still there in an official capacity. On top of that, she comes from a living (if currently petrified) culture and has a family, as well as a growing supporting cast. WW in the Azzarello book is troubled, but mostly a self-actualized person who acts in accordance with a consistent sense of duty and compassion.

And then there's NEW CLARK. I've dropped Action for the time being after Morrison left, but I'm still reading Superman/Batman, and the implication for new Clark is that he's brasher, more impetuous, and that the reason for this is because he's lost both his parents--who would leash his overconfidence in an inadvertent capacity--and has never used Lois as a nexus point for his developing morality. While he's still a good guy who believes in (and then does) the impossible, he's no longer apolitical; he's more of a "typical" action protagonist than he used to be pre-Flashpoint. He's confident, but hotheaded, and he still has a lot to learn.

If you present me with these two characters in a vacuum and asked me what I thought their romantic relationship should look like, I'd suggest that they could empower one another in a dynamic and really more classic "battle couple" way. They're two people who can literally do anything in both the realms of science fiction and myth. They should be friends! On top of banging, if you need banging, but on paper they just have the potential to inspire each other to do better things.

Instead we have Diana unhappy about Clark's really very obviously comprehensible desire for privacy. And then we see her on a roof waiting for her guy, who pops out of nowhere with a flower like somebody from a Julia Roberts movie. Pre-Flashpoint they (along with Bruce) had a great interplay where they have an intrinsic understanding of each other's need to maintain a work-life balance; they talked in costumes, out of costumes, sassed each other. In this book and in JL there's none of that natural camaraderie. Johns, and now Daniel, are intent on creating an "epic" romance between these two EPIC CHARACTERS, but it fails to hit any poignant notes because it's predicated on a stupid premise: two people! alien cultures! isolated! in love! It doesn't work unless you accept that WW's characterization in her strongest book doesn't mean poo poo. Which I guess has been the truth from the outset, but dammit, I don't want to live in that world.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Swillkitsch posted:

I bought the Superman/Wonder Woman comic digitally and am somewhat dismayed it didn't come with the Cliff Chiang cover attached. The art in the issue is good, even if it's a little plain.

Honestly, even as a long-time Superman fan, I don't dislike the idea of Clark and Diana as a couple on principle. I think what most bothers me about it is just the precedent Johns has set in the Justice League books, and which I guess is going to be status quo for their relationship in this new comic. We're supposed to think they complement each other because they've both got that "stranger in a strange land" thing going on, but I don't think I buy it in this format, especially while reading Azzarello's Wonder Woman concurrently: Diana is somewhat alienated from the world of man, but on the other hand, she's still there in an official capacity. On top of that, she comes from a living (if currently petrified) culture and has a family, as well as a growing supporting cast. WW in the Azzarello book is troubled, but mostly a self-actualized person who acts in accordance with a consistent sense of duty and compassion.

And then there's NEW CLARK. I've dropped Action for the time being after Morrison left, but I'm still reading Superman/Batman, and the implication for new Clark is that he's brasher, more impetuous, and that the reason for this is because he's lost both his parents--who would leash his overconfidence in an inadvertent capacity--and has never used Lois as a nexus point for his developing morality. While he's still a good guy who believes in (and then does) the impossible, he's no longer apolitical; he's more of a "typical" action protagonist than he used to be pre-Flashpoint. He's confident, but hotheaded, and he still has a lot to learn.

If you present me with these two characters in a vacuum and asked me what I thought their romantic relationship should look like, I'd suggest that they could empower one another in a dynamic and really more classic "battle couple" way. They're two people who can literally do anything in both the realms of science fiction and myth. They should be friends! On top of banging, if you need banging, but on paper they just have the potential to inspire each other to do better things.

Instead we have Diana unhappy about Clark's really very obviously comprehensible desire for privacy. And then we see her on a roof waiting for her guy, who pops out of nowhere with a flower like somebody from a Julia Roberts movie. Pre-Flashpoint they (along with Bruce) had a great interplay where they have an intrinsic understanding of each other's need to maintain a work-life balance; they talked in costumes, out of costumes, sassed each other. In this book and in JL there's none of that natural camaraderie. Johns, and now Daniel, are intent on creating an "epic" romance between these two EPIC CHARACTERS, but it fails to hit any poignant notes because it's predicated on a stupid premise: two people! alien cultures! isolated! in love! It doesn't work unless you accept that WW's characterization in her strongest book doesn't mean poo poo. Which I guess has been the truth from the outset, but dammit, I don't want to live in that world.

I don't think that they're ignoring all that's happened on WW's book, if anything I got the impression that they want to add it to the larger DCU and certainly is a hard task since they're two different beasts.

Minor thing, Charles Soule's the writer, Daniels' just doing the art. And I found kind of weird how Soule was trying to tie the status quo on their solo books in this.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Unlettered preview for Action 25 is up and Kuder hits the ground running. Action is back to being the best Superman book.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Space_Butler posted:

Unlettered preview for Action 25 is up and Kuder hits the ground running. Action is back to being the best Superman book.

That's an awful crazy-long neck on page three.

But yeah I might need to pick this up. Greg Pak, good art, Superman, worth a shot. I'm starving for a good DC comic book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The cover is amazing too.

I liked Superman/Wonder Woman. I want Pak and Soule in charge of either main Soup books. They'd be good compliments if Lobdell could ever float off into space or something.

e: Man, everyone else involved with writing the Super family are fairly talented. Without being tied to Lobdy's ideas crossovers might be neat and exciting.
Though I haven't been hating the Hector Hammond, HIVE, Lois Lane Annual stuff. Post H'el on Earth has been a definite improvement, but I am not looking forward to "“Krypton Returns” featuring our good buddy, H'el. Go away.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 10, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here is a cool animated short film Zack Snyder and Bruce Timm did for Superman's 75th anniversary.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/10/14/superman-75-years-of-heroic-history-in-a-2-minute-animated-short-exclusive/

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser

Endless Mike posted:

Here is a cool animated short film Zack Snyder and Bruce Timm did for Superman's 75th anniversary.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/10/14/superman-75-years-of-heroic-history-in-a-2-minute-animated-short-exclusive/

This is really great.

How is the Smallville comic? I'm kinda tired of the whole "what if there was an EVIL Superman?" that's been popular lately, and I haven't looked at Lobdell's Superman title since I gave up on H'el. Adventures of Superman is fun, but sometimes I want more than one offs.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

horsepeen posted:

How is the Smallville comic? I'm kinda tired of the whole "what if there was an EVIL Superman?" that's been popular lately, and I haven't looked at Lobdell's Superman title since I gave up on H'el. Adventures of Superman is fun, but sometimes I want more than one offs.
It's better than New 52 Superman has been on average. Plus, it's the only Superman comic currently where Superman and Lois are together and have the dynamic we all know and love. As well, since its a comic and not a low-budgeted CW show, they do some pretty fun stuff in it. I'd recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Space_Butler posted:

It's better than New 52 Superman has been on average. Plus, it's the only Superman comic currently where Superman and Lois are together and have the dynamic we all know and love. As well, since its a comic and not a low-budgeted CW show, they do some pretty fun stuff in it. I'd recommend it.

Also you know have Superman in the costume.

• Locked thread