Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also, beenades are goddamn insane holy poo poo, a dozen of them will shred Skeletron like a frigging buzzsaw

:downsrim:

Don't think I didn't see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Speaking of nothing; I wish you could hire mercenaries that you can order around to guard specific locations à la Gnomoria and games like that. In fact, a mash up between those two would be awesome.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I wish some of the NPCs could defend themselves. Seems like some of them should be able to (Arms dealer, Wizard, Demolitionist and the like).

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Imaginary Friend posted:

Speaking of nothing; I wish you could hire mercenaries that you can order around to guard specific locations à la Gnomoria and games like that. In fact, a mash up between those two would be awesome.

But this would be pretty much pointless. Enemies only spawn when you're nearby, so any place they'd be doing anything is somewhere you would be anyway.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Heavy neutrino posted:

I wish some of the NPCs could defend themselves. Seems like some of them should be able to (Arms dealer, Wizard, Demolitionist and the like).

Yeah, that's one of the things I want to see in a future patch or part 2. Hirable mercenaries that you can assign spots to guard would be the poo poo.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Heavy neutrino posted:

You'd think they could, seeing as one sells guns and another one has an infinite supply of explosives.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Forgetting that it's right click to put armor on and thinking it's shift click is a fun mistake to make. I enjoyed you for the twenty seconds I had you, two thirds of a frost armor set.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

Demolitionist becomes the new old Clown :mad:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never really had much trouble keeping my NPCs alive. They're all in a giant block of flats below Wyvern layers, but because there aren't any stairs they just stay in their rooms and never go out to meet anything stabby. I did a similar thing last world, and if they're off the ground, the only thing that can really get to them are teleporters. Since enemies don't go near the house outside of invasions, really the only things there are to worry about are the reaper and the goblin mage. Neither event is exactly common and apart from maybe the nurse and the ammo vendors, it's not like you're going to miss any of them during it. It's not like they take too long to come back, and the events don't exactly happen every single hour. Just go spelunking or build another giant penis and by the time you're done, they're all respawned.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Terraria 1.2 - Just go spelunking or build another giant penis

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'd like it if their AI was slightly better at least so that they try to move away from enemies, or panic a little. Instead of what they currently do which is, you know, walk calmly right into them repeatedly.

Sojenus posted:

Forgetting that it's right click to put armor on and thinking it's shift click is a fun mistake to make. I enjoyed you for the twenty seconds I had you, two thirds of a frost armor set.

I've done this before, don't worry you're not alone.

With a full adamantium set in 1.1 on a server-side hardmode hardcore character server :negative:

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 8, 2013

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I've really liked the idea of underground bases and I certainly don't mind digging, but the hammering out the dirt with a hammer part of it is the worst. Is this still a thing?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Saxophone posted:

I've really liked the idea of underground bases and I certainly don't mind digging, but the hammering out the dirt with a hammer part of it is the worst. Is this still a thing?

Yeah if your base isn't deep enough there will be dirt walls to be hammered.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I dropped a jungle key on my first foray into the hardmode jungle. I peed all over a wasp for it. Now where is the chest to use it? In the dungeon? Can I use it in a easy mode world?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

My biggest NPC-related issue occurs when my base is bigger than one screen size, because during blood moons/eclipses things will spawn in part of the base that's just offscreen and start killing a bunch of my guys before I can go deal with it. It's especially annoying when the Party Girl dies like this, because it takes forever for her to come back and I just have this empty house sitting there looking conspicuous the whole time.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

I dropped a jungle key on my first foray into the hardmode jungle. I peed all over a wasp for it. Now where is the chest to use it? In the dungeon? Can I use it in a easy mode world?

The chest is in the dungeon, yes you can open it in a normal mode world.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Saxophone posted:

This is why I excavate my underground bases with explosives. Background walls are the worst thing about this game.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
Randomly had a crimson key drop, and then frantically searched for the crimson chest to claim my Vampire Knives. Vampire Knives, besides being completely insane in their own right, are even more awesome when combined with a Fire Gauntlet -- the knives get a flaming particle effect that provides excellent illumination.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

s1ppycup posted:

Randomly had a crimson key drop, and then frantically searched for the crimson chest to claim my Vampire Knives. Vampire Knives, besides being completely insane in their own right, are even more awesome when combined with a Fire Gauntlet -- the knives get a flaming particle effect that provides excellent illumination.

I've found the Hallow/Corruption keys normally, but I've been farming Crimson w/ pygmies for like 3 days on and off without getting it :(.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
How are you guys getting Chlorophate so easily? I had just enough for a turtle set after running throught 3 hardmode Jungles, and getting the Shroomite and Cholrophate sets is still a long ways off (I might have enough for half of one or the other). I tried impregnating about 500 or more mud with some dozen chloro ore, but it doesn't seem to be spreading, last I checked. Does it need to be in darkness to spread?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Ashsaber posted:

How are you guys getting Chlorophate so easily? I had just enough for a turtle set after running throught 3 hardmode Jungles, and getting the Shroomite and Cholrophate sets is still a long ways off (I might have enough for half of one or the other). I tried impregnating about 500 or more mud with some dozen chloro ore, but it doesn't seem to be spreading, last I checked. Does it need to be in darkness to spread?

It only grows below a certain depth. I'm not sure how you're having trouble finding it, the stuff is everywhere in the jungle.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Use a spelunker potion in the jungle and play on a multiplayer server so it's constantly growing. Those are the two biggest things.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

It doesn't have to be seeded to grow or anything, the stuff is EVERYWHERE in the jungle. If you're not finding any you're not looking very hard, I found enough for a shotbow, two full sets of Chlorophyte armor, and a full set of Shroomite armor in fairly short order.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ashsaber posted:

What someone was saying earlier about "below sea level" is incorrect according to the wiki - it has to be in the cavern layer, though I couldn't tell you where that starts exactly.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pilchenstein posted:

What someone was saying earlier about "below sea level" is incorrect according to the wiki - it has to be in the cavern layer, though I couldn't tell you where that starts exactly.
I built a branch off my hellevator a bit under where the dirt wall appears to make clorphylyte incubators and they're working. Depth meters do not seem to be obtainable anymore though and I don't have any old characters around to raid for one so I don't know how deep I am.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

s1ppycup posted:

I want to equip a Fire Gauntlet, Mechanical Glove, Destroyer Emblem, Avenger Emblem, and Wearrior Emblem that are all damage prefixed, but that's a whole bunch of Walls of Flesh knocked down.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Thanks for the advice, goons. Turns out I just needed to be willing to actually use the potions I have stored away, instead of poking around with Gungnir. I think that like the bottom two lines of my failed farm are in the proper zone, since I actually saw it spread to a tile while making it, but apparently a Crimson chamber is not ideal. In any case, I guess the replies could help anyone who comes through the thread in the future.

Now just to get all the glowing mushrooms I need for the Shroomite armour.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zereth posted:

I built a branch off my hellevator a bit under where the dirt wall appears to make clorphylyte incubators and they're working. Depth meters do not seem to be obtainable anymore though and I don't have any old characters around to raid for one so I don't know how deep I am.

I got a Depth Meter a couple of days ago, but I couldn't tell you what from. :(

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Supposedly they drop from cavebats at like 1/2500. :negative:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Saxophone posted:

You can use TEdit to remove large amounts of background walls easily and quickly. Because gently caress hammering that much poo poo, even with the Chlorophyte Jackhammer.

Devour or Fire posted:

I want to equip a Fire Gauntlet, Mechanical Glove, Destroyer Emblem, Avenger Emblem, and Wearrior Emblem that are all damage prefixed, but that's a whole bunch of Walls of Flesh knocked down.

This sounds stupidly hilarious and is now a new side-project of mine. I already have a bunch of Emblems stored away somewhere, hopefully won't take me too long.

e: have to wear chlorophyte armor with it instead of turtle, for even more melee punch

Kyrosiris posted:

I got a Depth Meter a couple of days ago, but I couldn't tell you what from. :(

I wanted a GPS but discovered that you couldn't craft Depth Meters anymore (you used to make them from some stuff at a table and chair like the watches). I got frustrated trying to find out how to make it from the guide (ie 2 minutes throwing random things at him) and looked it up on the wiki.

It turns out Depth Meters are dropped by Cave Bats now, which loving problematic if you want one and your world is already in hardmode and the drop rate is only 0.5%.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Ahahaha. My brother and I started a multiplayer map for the two of us, it had Corruption, we wanted Crimson, so we decided to do a quick run through of the map to check for worldtrees/pyramids before remaking. I head right, find a pyramid and some robes. He heads left, finds a world tree, goes down, grabs the stuff in it, realizes the tree goes further down, keeps going...

...And falls out of the bottom into the Dungeon. Skeletron's head said hi :gibs:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Zereth posted:

I did that and it refused to grow, I went down another mile or so just to be sure and it spreads fine. It was still within teleporter range of the base too, which was lucky.

In other news, I just farmed up the mats for a crystal rod and was hugely disappointed to find that what I actually wanted was the rainbow gun that you get from the hallowed chest. While looking on the wiki to find that out, I realised that a lot of people on the internet are to popular culture what Sigmund Freud was to cocks - they see references everywhere.

Terraria Wiki posted:

Its name is possibly a reference to "Rainbow Road", the final track in every Mario Kart game, because of how similar the names are.
Or it could be called the Rainbow Rod because it's a rod that shoots (really lovely) rainbows.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So there I am, minding my own business, organizing my treasure chests, and then I see the message "The air is growing colder around you..." right when nighttime hits.

I think, hey, that means a blizzard, I'm gonna run over to the snow area and shoot a bunch of assholes for loot.

I have Crimson Armor and a Phoenix Blaster. Needless to say, it was not a blizzard, and I did not obtain any Souls of Fright.

lesbian at Evergreen
Aug 9, 2006
I basically regret all my life choices:

lesbian at Evergreen fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 9, 2013

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Yeah, when I'd mentioned farming chlorphyte earlier, I'd only tested surface and cavern level, I forgot to test the underground above cavern, sorry.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

I realised that a lot of people on the internet are to popular culture what Sigmund Freud was to cocks - they see references everywhere.
Or it could be called the Rainbow Rod because it's a rod that shoots (really lovely) rainbows.

You don't know the half of it, you should check some of the other wiki pages.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Read posted:

You don't know the half of it, you should check some of the other wiki pages.

People seem to be constantly at war over the Party Girl's page and it gets funnier every time I look at it

Her current "notes" posted:

Party Girl is more than likely a fandub from the Brony Confederation to the character Pinkie Pie from the animated cartoon 'My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic' as she looks almost exactly like Pinkie Pie did in the My Little Pony: Equestria Girls movie, she is obsessed with parties, two of her names (Trixie and Sparkle) are from MLP:FiM (referring to "The Great And Powerful Trixie", and "Twilight Sparkle").

"A fandub from the Brony Confederation"

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 9, 2013

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

Is there a way to get Living Wood Walls, or whatever the walls inside the giant trees/roots are called? I don't mind using an editor/cheat program to make it.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I don't think so, it's probably just like the generic dirt walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well I finally got my first hardmode boss kill through sheer luck on skeleton prime. I had just died attempting to cheese the dungeon for specter gear. So I respawn at my base when skeleton prime awakens. I have no health and he is right on top of me. I wanted to heal at the nurse and run up to my rigged platform but I needed time. So I drop down my hell-evator with him following me. After I get some space I mirror home, hit the nurse and run to my platform. Well skeleton comes back with only one arm, the one with the little pincer. I shoot my piranha gun at him and dodge until it finally eats him. Totally cheesed!

• Locked thread