Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

kastein posted:

One case where it really, really does NOT help is offroad in soft soil, where wheels sliding is sometimes the only way you're going to stop in time. A friend of mine nearly went over a ledge backwards a few years back because he hadn't pulled the fuses for his ABS, and it freaked out when he stomped on the brakes and wouldn't let him lock the tires up. The next time, he had absolutely no problems with it disabled.

If only the carmakers thought to include a special brake just for these sorts of emergencies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Snowdens Secret posted:

If only the carmakers thought to include a special brake just for these sorts of emergencies

You mean the parking brake that only engages half your brakes, and the half that's under less of the vehicle weight, at that?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Citroen had you covered there buddy :v:

And I completely fail to find a picture of the front brakes of my bx, with front handbrake :doh:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
What about stuff like Active Yaw Control that basically makes you able to turn faster?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

jamal posted:

Well I don't think it can actually decouple the steering wheel from the rack. I expect it's more like it gives you a "suggested" steering angle that you could overpower fairly easily.

Having driven on snow with a toyota with stability control it's really a joy killer- it won't even come close to letting you throw the car in the a slide. Just beeps and the car is going straight again.

No. It actually decouples the steering wheel from the rack.

In reality, the wheel is never connected to the rack on any of the hybrid vehicles or any current lexus model or the landcruiser with VGRS. The steering wheel spins a precision magnetic wheel which is picked up by a sensor which in turn is used by the electric steering module to calculate how to steer. Any weight in the steering wheel is put there artificially by feedback system similar to what's used in arcade driving games to weigh up the steering and is completely false.

When an ESC event takes place the ESC module takes priority over the driver steering input, it is in no way shape or form a 'suggestion'. I've come out of a petrol station in the pissing rain in a lexus and stamped the accelerator to deliberately provoke a slide. The car steered into it perfectly and straightened me out despite me giving it inputs to do otherwise. The feeling is significantly different to a car using individual wheel braking/horsepower limiting to achieve the same thing in a more primitive way.

They get around the legislation preventing steer-by-wire by having a spring-loaded splined pin between the two shafts. If the VGRS experiences any kind of problem whatsoever, the solenoid holding the pin back deactivates and the pin shoots forward and physically locks the wheel to the rack. The VGRS then goes into limp mode and behaves like normal MDPS, merely assisting instead of doing all the work. It isn't pleasant when it happens, the steering ratio is hilariously lacking in leverage for normal steering.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

You mean the parking brake that only engages half your brakes, and the half that's under less of the vehicle weight, at that?

My parking brake engages all 4 wheels :smug:

Well, actually none of the wheels, but it locks the drive shaft.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Well at least there is a mechanical failsafe but even so that system kind of creeps me out a bit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Motronic posted:

My parking brake engages all 4 wheels :smug:

Well, actually none of the wheels, but it locks the drive shaft.

My FJ40's parking brake would do that if it hadn't been ruined by leaking transmission oil sometime around the Carter administration

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

rscott posted:

Well at least there is a mechanical failsafe but even so that system kind of creeps me out a bit.

The brakes are also by wire. The brake pedal is attached to a sensor inside the 'master cylinder' (an assembly the size of my head). This signal is interpreted by the esc module which uses an electric pump to generate the appropriate hydraulic pressure and sends it to the appropriate wheel. A similar feedback system to the steering is used to simulate brake pedal resistance. This is the only way a hybrid vehicle can juggle actual brakes and the engine braking offered by the motor-generator system in a way that makes x pedal travel equate to x braking every time, consistently. Again, lexus and landcruiser have this system standard; I haven't been at Toyota for a couple of years so I can't speak for the latest ordinary cars.

Again, there's a fail-safe where if the entire system fails, the rod inside the sensor area is able to ram forward and engage an actual (extremely poor and ineffective) hydraulic piston like a normal car. This is why you can't fit brake pads or bleed brakes on a prius without using a scan tool; you have to bleed the hydraulic pump and you have to re-calibrate the sensor or the brakes feel really funny and poo poo. Taxis have this problem frequently because the driver just gets some random oval office to do the brakes then limps into a dealer getting pissy.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

rscott posted:

Having been a fan of the F-16 since I was a little kid means I'm going "It's about friggin' time!" :v:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

This one's a gift that just keeps on giving.

I took the picture because of the dual goofy-angle stacks in the bed, plus the lopsided light bars, but I just noticed that he also has a big chrome tip on the sidepipe in front of the rear tire. How many exhaust outlets does a truck need? What else can you see, aside from the fact that my dumb camera decided to focus on the mud splatter on my windshield instead of the rest of the picture?

This is like a pickup truck designed by Dr Seuss.

Slavvy posted:

...This is why you can't fit brake pads or bleed brakes on a prius without using a scan tool; you have to bleed the hydraulic pump and you have to re-calibrate the sensor or the brakes feel really funny and poo poo. Taxis have this problem frequently because the driver just gets some random oval office to do the brakes then limps into a dealer getting pissy.

Sounds like a great way to guarantee that people will bring their car to the dealer for basic service too. Win/win for Toyota.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 8, 2013

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SierraEchoBravo posted:

To add to the ABS/TC discussion, I can say I'd much rather have every car have some sort of modern ABS system because as mentioned before not everyone is an F1 driver in terms of reaction time and driver ability. Not only because I'm not Sebastien Vettel, but I want at least reduced chance of any of the chucklefucks around New England slamming into me.
I just had to buy a new car because of an accident this summer that totaled my E36. An idiot in a newer 5 series rear-ended me doing at least 20 in damp conditions because he wasn't paying attention to the traffic that had stopped to let people cross the street. Not that ABS would have helped this douche (there were no skid marks from his car to indicate hard braking, and he didn't have insurance :cripes:), but if it can help some other hapless motorist in preventing an accident that takes out my car than I'm all for it.

We need more crying flag smilies for some of the US states. New Hampshire in this case.

Don't feel bad. Even F1 drivers benefited from ABS and Traction control, so much so that those systems along with active suspensions were banned in 1994. Look up the Williams FW15C for more details.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

This is like a pickup truck designed by Dr Seuss.

Sounds like a great way to guarantee that people will bring their car to the dealer for basic service too. Win/win for Toyota.

Nah. Right to repair et al means modern scan tools can do stuff like this.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Slavvy posted:

No. It actually decouples the steering wheel from the rack.

In reality, the wheel is never connected to the rack on any of the hybrid vehicles or any current lexus model or the landcruiser with VGRS. The steering wheel spins a precision magnetic wheel which is picked up by a sensor which in turn is used by the electric steering module to calculate how to steer. Any weight in the steering wheel is put there artificially by feedback system similar to what's used in arcade driving games to weigh up the steering and is completely false.

When an ESC event takes place the ESC module takes priority over the driver steering input, it is in no way shape or form a 'suggestion'. I've come out of a petrol station in the pissing rain in a lexus and stamped the accelerator to deliberately provoke a slide. The car steered into it perfectly and straightened me out despite me giving it inputs to do otherwise. The feeling is significantly different to a car using individual wheel braking/horsepower limiting to achieve the same thing in a more primitive way.

They get around the legislation preventing steer-by-wire by having a spring-loaded splined pin between the two shafts. If the VGRS experiences any kind of problem whatsoever, the solenoid holding the pin back deactivates and the pin shoots forward and physically locks the wheel to the rack. The VGRS then goes into limp mode and behaves like normal MDPS, merely assisting instead of doing all the work. It isn't pleasant when it happens, the steering ratio is hilariously lacking in leverage for normal steering.

That scares me enough that I don't think I'll ever get behind the wheel of a modern Toyota again.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Das Volk posted:

That scares me enough that I don't think I'll ever get behind the wheel of a modern Toyota again.
See that thing over there? That's a red circle on the calendar marking the day you decide you won't ever drive on a public road again.
Possibly it's because you don't trust these newfangled contraptions, and whack them with your cane as frequently as possible.
Possibly because you've bought a self-driving Toyota Tundra to tow your car overnight to the racetrack while you sleep in the back and wake up refreshed and ready for a full track day, instead of having to get up at the asscrack of dawn, or take a full day off work stay in a lovely bedbug ridden motel near the track.

I'm firmly on the other side of the technology fence. I'm OK with a steer-by-wire system that keeps the car totally in line in the rain (or snow) for the average driver in 2014 - if it means that it keeps the car in line for the idiot 17 year old who's driving that same car in 2020.

'Course, that means that I'm also firmly in the camp of similar technology that can keep new 911 drivers from backing their cars into trees at 70 mph. Or...can it? :v:

The looming reality (as I see it) is that drivers will actually exert less control over the vehicle in the coming years, and as a result, roads will get progressively safer, insurance costs will decrease, traffic will get better (cars that have microsecond reaction times, and are in communication with the next 20 cars ahead of them can follow FAR more closely at a much higher speed than any human driver), and most of us in AI will have our 'commuter' car (which we may have as a service, like our cellphones) and our 'race' car with collector plates on it, which we use only occasionally.

Terrible for us? Maybe.
Better for society overall? poo poo yes.

I pass too goddamn many crosses covered in flowers planted by the side of the road every day.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Must be nice to have 4 wheel discs and ABS brakes eh? I'll tell you, though, you guys complaining about ABS must never have driven 4 wheel drums. Every rainy day is a 50/50 chance I am going to die. Seriously. There's the lackluster stopping power, the heat buildup, the inconsistent brake feel, the VERY consistent brake fade, nearly complete inability to brake when wet and the ever present danger of both brake lockup (which is easy enough to achieve that you can definitely "accidentally" do it) and catastrophic brake failure (one master cylinder). ABS and modern discs are godsend as compare to my 50 year old braking system, and unless you're racing your car I find it hard to believe that there's a good reason not to have them.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I saw the archetypal wursted-out VW again today. It's evolving. I am almost entirely sure it's not self-aware enough to be ironic.

The front license plate is no longer mounted to the left side of the bumper with brass hinges; it has been replaced there by a shittily bolted on tow hook with a front drift charm. He has replaced his sun visor with it. I assume that he no longer has the option of raising his sun visor.

Better view of "visor". He has at least two O'Reilly stickers on the car...

...and at least three FrostWire stickers, including the one stuck on the dashboard next to the Despicable Me thing. Who the gently caress puts stickers for a Bittorrent client on their loving car?

I haven't counted the shocker stickers. The last time I saw this car, there were six.

Two of those "F" trochoid stickers, whatever they are. He's rattlecanned the roof black.

Four Frostwire stickers.

Wheel in the back seat, and "tartan" rear deck cover. I'm not sure if the cloth there matches the pattern and colors on the seats or not.

Edit: also, what appears to be a third bucket seat? I don't know if this car naturally has a fold-down seat-and-a-half on the right there.

Five Frostwire stickers total, now, along with an additional two shocker stickers, the rear drift charm, and some overspray and weird paint damage on the bumper. Either it's black plastidip or he bought a shiny VW emblem to replace the one he painted black.

Smoked marker lights and red wheel, complete with overspray on the tire.

Rear drift charm. And, finally, to top it all off...

a mis-sized, damaged carbon fiber applique over the fuel filler door. Check out the parts where he had to cut smaller pieces to make it fit.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 9, 2013

smax
Nov 9, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

Two of those "F" trochoid stickers, whatever they are. He's rattlecanned the roof black.

Those would be Firestone stickers.

Dear god.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

I saw the archetypal wursted-out VW again today. It's evolving. I am almost entirely sure it's not self-aware enough to be ironic.

a mis-sized, damaged carbon fiber applique over the fuel filler door. Check out the parts where he had to cut smaller pieces to make it fit.

Just nuke it from orbit. God drat it, what a waste of a VW.

Taking bets as to how BADLY maintained that drivetrain is, compared to all the money spent on lovely stickers, rattlecans, and plastidip.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 9, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Those stickers are misleading. Everyone knows a real lowered car can't go full lock because the wheels would bang against the fender :smugwizard:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can you get those stickers as a big pack now? Because I've seen several cars with the rear quarter window filled with random brand stickers stuck all over eachother in a suspiciously manufactured-looking way. Is it just a bundle you buy or something that lets you quickly cover an entire window with garbage? Is it a trend I'm completely unaware of?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SaNChEzZ posted:

Those stickers are misleading. Everyone knows a real lowered car can't go full lock because the wheels would bang against the fender :smugwizard:

The best part is the 'Built Not Bought' Sticker

and my response is:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Kenny Rogers posted:

'Course, that means that I'm also firmly in the camp of similar technology that can keep new 911 drivers from backing their cars into trees at 70 mph. Or...can it? :v:

PSM = Please Save Me. Newer 911s will tolerate a tremendous amount of pathological control input without swapping ends.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

CommieGIR posted:

The best part is the 'Built Not Bought' Sticker

and my response is:

So I want to print this out, and use it as under-wiper flyers for every car I see with the "built not bought" sticker.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

Must be nice to have 4 wheel discs and ABS brakes eh? I'll tell you, though, you guys complaining about ABS must never have driven 4 wheel drums. Every rainy day is a 50/50 chance I am going to die. Seriously. There's the lackluster stopping power, the heat buildup, the inconsistent brake feel, the VERY consistent brake fade, nearly complete inability to brake when wet and the ever present danger of both brake lockup (which is easy enough to achieve that you can definitely "accidentally" do it) and catastrophic brake failure (one master cylinder). ABS and modern discs are godsend as compare to my 50 year old braking system, and unless you're racing your car I find it hard to believe that there's a good reason not to have them.

Sounds like you need to upgrade to a dual circuit master cylinder, new tires, and to not follow so closely. Old cars are fine if you keep them somewhat safe and drive them appropriately.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
In what is maybe a first for this thread, the blue Civic I posted pictures of a while back has ditched the white 0 offset steelies that stuck past the fender a good 3 inches for some properly backspaced white Enkei RPF1s. Baby steps...:unsmith:.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

atomicthumbs posted:

The front license plate is no longer mounted to the left side of the bumper with brass hinges; it has been replaced there by a shittily bolted on tow hook with a front drift charm. He has replaced his sun visor with it. I assume that he no longer has the option of raising his sun visor. Four Frostwire stickers. Wheel in the back seat, and "tartan" rear deck cover. I'm not sure if the cloth there matches the pattern and colors on the seats or not. Edit: also, what appears to be a third bucket seat? I don't know if this car naturally has a fold-down seat-and-a-half on the right there.
Five Frostwire stickers total, now, along with an additional two shocker stickers, the rear drift charm, and some overspray and weird paint damage on the bumper. Either it's black plastidip or he bought a shiny VW emblem to replace the one he painted black. Smoked marker lights and red wheel, complete with overspray on the tire. Rear drift charm. And, finally, to top it all off...a mis-sized, damaged carbon fiber applique over the fuel filler door. Check out the parts where he had to cut smaller pieces to make it fit.
It's like eBay went on a huge bender, tried to barf (metaphorically) in the sunroof¹, and TOTALLY missed.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I just noticed what appears to be red spraypaint overspray on the calipers. Jesus christ.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I found myself saying "dude, just stop" at each one of those VW pictures.
..and this comes from someone who drove this 5 years ago:

The turning point was when my sister described my car as having "clown wheels and an underwear interior". I've had a steady recovery since then.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

Raluek posted:

Sounds like you need to upgrade to a dual circuit master cylinder, new tires, and to not follow so closely. Old cars are fine if you keep them somewhat safe and drive them appropriately.

Tires will follow, I'm gonna hold off on the dual cylinder for now, not sure how original I want to keep the car. I definitely give all traffic, and especially shitboxes, a VERY wide berth. But drums are weak braking systems in the heavy rain cycle that is Florida, and there's no way around it... but I like the way they feel. I dunno, I just feel like I have a more solid connection to the road. Discs are nice to have though. Just not nice enough for my to bother converting.

I drive like an old lady... until I see a nice, beautiful straight with no traffic. But Florida traffic is scary man, people just weave through lanes like they are in a race or something.

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 9, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

atomicthumbs posted:

The front license plate is no longer mounted to the left side of the bumper with brass hinges; it has been replaced there by a shittily bolted on tow hook with a front drift charm. He has replaced his sun visor with it. I assume that he no longer has the option of raising his sun visor.

This seems like a really great use for a front license plate. Just put it away for red light cameras / toll lanes. Or something. gently caress.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NoWake posted:

The turning point was when my sister described my car as having "clown wheels and an underwear interior". I've had a steady recovery since then.

I'm told that's called an 'intervention'.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
How can this generation of kids not know how to cut springs?

Shameful.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

11BulletCatcher posted:

Tires will follow, I'm gonna hold off on the dual cylinder for now, not sure how original I want to keep the car. I definitely give all traffic, and especially shitboxes, a VERY wide berth. But drums are weak braking systems in the heavy rain cycle that is Florida, and there's no way around it... but I like the way they feel. I dunno, I just feel like I have a more solid connection to the road. Discs are nice to have though. Just not nice enough for my to bother converting.

I drive like an old lady... until I see a nice, beautiful straight with no traffic. But Florida traffic is scary man, people just weave through lanes like they are in a race or something.

Hate to break it to you, but nobody really cares about the originality of a four-door, especially something as easily-reversible as that. Get a drum-drum dual master cylinder and maybe you won't plow into a Yaris and kill yourself the next time a single wheel cylinder pops. I DD'd a four-wheel-drum brake car for a while and it was the single best thing I did to it.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure

Slavvy posted:

Stuff about drive-by-wire steering and brakes

I know there are failsafes but this freaks me the gently caress out. I'm usually an enthusiastic technophile but this just seems, well, wrong.

Erays3r
Nov 3, 2010

This braintrust decided that it was a good idea to plastidip their tail lights , Im sure this will turn out well for them.
:wtc:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

plecostomus posted:

I know there are failsafes but this freaks me the gently caress out. I'm usually an enthusiastic technophile but this just seems, well, wrong.

Then don't drive any car made after 1980.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Erays3r posted:

This braintrust decided that it was a good idea to plastidip their tail lights , Im sure this will turn out well for them.
:wtc:

Wait. What? How the....? But, the light....

Next pic will be of it smashed in after someone rear-ends it at a stop sign at night.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kill-9 posted:

Wait. What? How the....? But, the light....

Next pic will be of it smashed in after someone rear-ends it at a stop sign at night.

One can only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

plecostomus posted:

I'm curious if you've ever stepped foot in an even remotely modern commercial airliner.