Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
She probably IS a reference to Pinkie Pie. I'd give it about a 95% chance, she's got some serious similarities going. Everything else though? That's just people making poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

Apparently those have been removed, only to be replaced by more brony poo poo.

The first one is fine because she pretty objectively IS based on the character. Just the way people have been saying it ranges from inane to absolutely hilarious. The second is both stupid and outright makes up a false number for the sake of forcing a reference, which is where we get into the "absolutely hilarious" territory.

I just tried to solo the twins to make a bit of extra cash. Killed Retinazer, then Spazmatism killed me with 27 health left. 27. I don't think there's anything I could have used on him in my entire inventory that would have done less than 27 damage in one hit. This game is stupid.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I like the note on the wiki about the sword frostbrand. "It may be a reference to the sword of Arthas from world of Warcraft universe.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Goodpancakes posted:

I like the note on the wiki about the sword frostbrand. "It may be a reference to the sword of Arthas from world of Warcraft universe.

Eagerly awaiting for two shitlords to start fighting whether it's a reference to Drizzt's or Arthas' weapon.

Drizzt of course, he had claims to that poo poo way before your stupid toycraft character

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

J.A.B.C. posted:

You cannot, however, use hive walls. They will move right the heck out of those.

This is incorrect. My tinkerer lives in a hivehaus with hive blocks and hive walls and a honey fountain on the roof.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Angry Diplomat posted:

This is incorrect. My tinkerer lives in a hivehaus with hive blocks and hive walls and a honey fountain on the roof.

I think the problem there might've been differentiating naturally-generated hive walls vs. player-placed hive walls. It's the same issue with Dungeon walls and dirt walls: If they were placed there on world-gen, then they aren't suitable for NPC inhabitance. The only naturally-generated walls that allow housing are the disc walls in floating island buildings and maybe the planked walls in abandoned underground houses.

Also, I see that they nerfed the Spectre armor to assumedly half-effectiveness - let's see if that's enough to render the set utterly useless! :downs: I don't expect to facetank bosses with it, but I'd still like to do better than an Excalibur in piecemeal armor.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 9, 2013

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Goodpancakes posted:

The wiki is full of these "it may be based on X" trivia things. It's funny how uncertain people are on whether an obvious pop culture reference is or is not a reference.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Well, now that my spectre armour is nerfed I dunno how I'm ever gonna solo any bosses.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Well, now that my spectre armour is nerfed I dunno how I'm ever gonna solo any bosses.

The same way anyone soloed hardmode bosses before 1.2? Oh, wait, typically they didn't and it required bullshit levels of arena-building and preparation, especially for the Twins. :downs:

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Keiya posted:

She probably IS a reference to Pinkie Pie. I'd give it about a 95% chance, she's got some serious similarities going. Everything else though? That's just people making poo poo up.

It was in an IRC chat, so I can't find it right now, but Redigit pretty much explicitly stated that it is a reference, and he put it in because his children love the show.

It's not often a reference to MLP is because of the intended audience.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
All I needed for the twins was a megashark, gravity potions, and at least 2000 crystal bullets for each. Regardless, it's a bit unnecessary in my opinion.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So, the entrance to the Crimson was below sea level in my solo world. Key word is "was". I'd always thought the oceans were connected to an infinite off-world source of water, but apparently not.

Edit: And it's not like there wasn't an explicit name drop of "Friendship is Magic" before. (A rather funny one at that, it's one of the Wizard's lines)

Keiya fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 9, 2013

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

It was in an IRC chat, so I can't find it right now, but Redigit pretty much explicitly stated that it is a reference, and he put it in because his children love the show.

It's not often a reference to MLP is because of the intended audience.

It's nice, because it keeps people from being obnoxious twats going "RED'S A BRONY ONE OF US ONE OF US!"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is anyone else having problems connecting to MP games since the last mini-update? Was working just fine for me and my girlfriend, now it hangs on "connecting to..." forever. Quite a few people on the Terraria forums seem to be having the same issue.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The next step after Eater of Worlds and Eye of C'thulu is the dungeon right?

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Zedd posted:

The next step after Eater of Worlds and Eye of C'thulu is the dungeon right?
Or the jungle if you want an ivy whip and magic armor.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, pretty much. With spectre armor, magnetic sphere, and golden shower I can handle Destroyer (cakewalk) and Twins (barely) and everything else just rolled me hard. :downs: Many bosses have difficult/impossible to dodge attacks anyway and the lifedrain was usually just enough to barely keep pace with incoming damage, and hardmode poo poo does enough hurt that even the heaviest armor only goes so far in protection.

Guess they really want to mandate you group up online to kill bosses I guess.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Not sure if this is serious but you can pretty much solo everything without it.

KataraniSword posted:

The same way anyone soloed hardmode bosses before 1.2? Oh, wait, typically they didn't and it required bullshit levels of arena-building and preparation, especially for the Twins. :downs:

For the twins I would pretty much run laps around my house, going through it one way and then over the top the other. Probably the best thing you can do to prepare for a bossfight is to make a few potions, throw on an Ironskin, a regen potion, and one for whichever type of damage you're dealing and you should be good to go. The most effective equipment setup you can go for seems to be just making sure you have some mobility options like a grappling hook, a cloud in a balloon, and any derivative of the hermes boots and just try not to get hit. Hell for Plantera I pretty much just kited it along the surface until I got to my house.

Keiya posted:

So, the entrance to the Crimson was below sea level in my solo world. Key word is "was". I'd always thought the oceans were connected to an infinite off-world source of water, but apparently not.

I think it used to be the case that the water at the edges of the map was infinite but then it was changed to not be.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

lohli posted:

For the twins I would pretty much run laps around my house, going through it one way and then over the top the other. Probably the best thing you can do to prepare for a bossfight is to make a few potions, throw on an Ironskin, a regen potion, and one for whichever type of damage you're dealing and you should be good to go. The most effective equipment setup you can go for seems to be just making sure you have some mobility options like a grappling hook, a cloud in a balloon, and any derivative of the hermes boots and just try not to get hit. Hell for Plantera I pretty much just kited it along the surface until I got to my house.

I think it used to be the case that the water at the edges of the map was infinite but then it was changed to not be.

Amusingly all this will make me do is move down to hell to fight everything along the ash bridge I made for the wall of flesh. Because yeah all you have to do to not die on the bosses is really just keep moving, and a straight bridge is fine since they will keep up with you and a lot of their ranged shots will also still miss you.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

lohli posted:

Yeah, I did most everything with ranged (except Destroyer, he got the mushroom spear) so I can't say for certain how you mages might adapt if you want to stay mages, but it's certainly possible to solo everything. Difficult, but possible. I'd imagine for some fights you're just gonna have to do what I did and switch builds to fit the situation.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

KataraniSword posted:

I killed all of the bosses in 1.1 with Melee in a little valley to the right of my town, like all I added to it was a few wooden platforms. :shrug:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Best thing ever, 1.2.0.3 Changelog:

The Rod of Discord now properly drops
The Uzi now has the correct drop rate

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Soloing bosses as a mage for me usually means wearing melee armor just for the defense, and using magic power potions and the crystal ball to make up the difference in damage output. Regen/ironskin/soup potions also of course.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'd think reforging all your accessories to have +3-5 defense on them would give you better results as a mage since you'd still have your set bonus.

e: Also: Find heart statues and wire them up to timers around where you're planning to fight bosses! Those free hearts add up.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 9, 2013

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

I'd think reforging all your accessories to have +3-5 defense on them would give you better results as a mage since you'd still have your set bonus.

e: Also: Find heart statues and wire them up to timers around where you're planning to fight bosses! Those free hearts add up.

also Campfires. everywhere.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I don't understand why he nerfed the end game equipment. Just leave it alone, it was fine. It is not bad design that end-game equipment allows characters to defeat end-game bosses.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Finally finished my base, but I'm too lazy to make a map since terrafirma hasn't been updated.

The monolithic white tower of spawn, connected to the base through a teleporter system and a tunnel.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Powercrazy posted:

I don't understand why he nerfed the end game equipment. Just leave it alone, it was fine. It is not bad design that end-game equipment allows characters to defeat end-game bosses.

Eh, I kinda disagree.

I killed all the hardmode bosses with a Paladin Hammer melee character and a Specter Armor mage character and it's completely different styles.

Melee was drink some buff potions and use mobility and the crafted arena to DPS the boss more than he's taking your life off. There were plenty of close fights and lots of emergency potions.

Mage was literally stand still and shoot spells at boss.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I can sort of see why the spectre armour needed nerfing because of how broken it was in relation to the ease with which you can get it, but I feel like the vampire knives are such bullshit grindy endgame stuff that if you've got them there's no real reason not to be able to just do whatever. Chances are, you've pretty much got past all the progression at that point. Bar the spectre armour, getting to a deep chest in the hard mode dungeon is pretty difficult with the number of powerful enemies and difficulty in dodging in the corridors. The knives didn't need nerfing at all, and while the spectre armour itself was a decent candidate for a nerf, I'd much rather see him change the functionality of the ectoplasm armour and give the magic weirdos another harder to get set of armour to do the same thing.

And give the ranged guys bullshit insane lifesteal too. When I put another million slush into the extractinator and still don't get my dinosaur, I'd love to at least find a life stealing dolphin cannon.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I still think the spectre gear is really strong. What should have happened to the set was not nerf what it does, but how to make it. Because Ectoplasm farming is relatively easy.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
What would be the best hard mode boss to fight first, specifically as a magic character? At first I assumed the Twins, but now I've seen people saying that they have more trouble with that fight than the others. My best spell right now is still my diamond staff, which has become amazingly ineffective with the hard mode switch, and a Mythical Demon Scythe, but I have a feeling those probably won't cut it any more.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Demon Scythe should be enough to handle the Destroyer due to its penetration ability.

You will want to put up an arena above ground, however.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Dizz posted:

I still think the spectre gear is really strong. What should have happened to the set was not nerf what it does, but how to make it. Because Ectoplasm farming is relatively easy.

Changelog:
Dungeon Spirit spawn chance has been lowered.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dizz posted:

Yea, add some kind of chlorophyte requirement or something. It's fine.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is white the only color you can paint stone bricks? The other paints are consumed but the bricks don't actually change color.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dizz posted:

Post nerf I don't think it'll be nearly strong enough to facetank through things anymore. On top of the life steal reduction the defense was reduced, and the defense number was already fairly anemic.

Powercrazy posted:

Yea, add some kind of chlorophyte requirement or something. It's fine.

Chlorophyte is easy to get so not sure how this would make it any harder?

Sloober fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 9, 2013

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Where's my SDMG? :argh:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

benzine posted:

Changelog:
Dungeon Spirit spawn chance has been lowered.

It's still a thing of "Kill a lot of things in the hardmode dungeon to get this good loot" instead of something like "Combine 5 of each gem with 1 ectoplasm".

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sloober posted:

Post nerf I don't think it'll be nearly strong enough to facetank through things anymore. On top of the life steal reduction the defense was reduced, and the defense number was already fairly anemic.

Chlorophyte is easy to get so not sure how this would make it any harder?

Fine make it a turtle shell then, I still haven't found one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

Fine make it a turtle shell then, I still haven't found one of those.

I've some extras if you want them.

• Locked thread