Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Incidentally, I've been wanting to ask: does anyone have a link to that minicomic someone did where Tom Siddell is ranting about TV Tropes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I don't know why you keep saying there's no page on Lolita. If it was ever gone, it's now back with a vengeance:

quote:

Affably Evil: Humbert Humbert in spades. There's at least one moment in the book (which also turns up in some form in the movie adaptations) in which he contemplates killing his wife and how easily he could get away with it, but finds that he really is just too nice to do it. In some ways, this actually makes him even worse, and the mid-story Diabolus ex Machina that puts her out of his way is made that much more bitterly ironic. The unabridged audio book version, read by Jeremy Irons, carries this further - Irons' reading over twelve hours almost makes the character's actions excusable.
I think whoever wrote this already thought Humbert's actions were excusable.

quote:

Break the Cutie: The entire book could be considered one for Lolita, considering her childhood is essentially destroyed. Most of the time she doesn't show this (except when she cries at night), and at the book's very end when she is pregnant and married at 16 she seems oddly accepting and bears no ill will towards H.H.
Jesus Christ

quote:

Daddy's Girl: Though Humbert's love for his "daughter" is not so fatherly...
:barf:

quote:

Pretty in Mink: Early in the 1962 film, Delores wears a white rabbit fur wrap to a party
:barf:

quote:

You Are Grounded: Humbert enforces a curfew on Lolita to keep her from dating boys or calling the police.
:suicide:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
On the plus side, this thread made me finally get round to Lolita, in the form of the aforementioned Jeremy Irons reading, and it really was spectacular. If anything, Irons' reading makes him seem MORE of a monster though, no one can do utter contempt like Jeremy Irons.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Flesnolk posted:

The whole "justified trope" thing is weird, their page on it says it's when the use of a given trope is actually required in the story or is the logical consequence of something else that happened in it, but for a community that's all about listing every single goddamn thing that happens in a work no matter how minor, they're oddly defensive at times about admitting works they like have a trope in them. A bit of self-awareness of the fact trope is really just a nicer way to say cliche, maybe?

Tropes aren't necessarily cliches, but they can be. 'Butler did it' is cliche and trope, 'flashback sequence' is trope but not cliche.

I do think that there's a ranking though as to how 'cool' a usage is. Just using a trope is lame. Justifying it or lampshading it makes it okay because the author was totally in on the :spergin: joke. Averting it means you're too cool for school. Subverting/inverting it makes you a Deadpan Snarker Crouching Loser Hidden Badass. Deconstructing it makes you Jacques Derridawesome. Reconstructing it makes you King This Troper V, ruler of Tropevania.

So you never want to say your favorite work just used a trope.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

It really is a good book. And I didn't have to read it twice to tell Humbert's story was unreliable.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

This is just sad.

George W. Bush provides examples of:

quote:

Deadpan Snarker: Dick Cheney. This carries over into the Oliver Stone movie.

I tried to picture Cheney in a Badass Longcoat and couldn't stop laughing.

quote:

Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni to Cheney's Blue Oni. Among his rivals, he makes a Red Oni to Gore and Kerry's Blue Oni.

A stunning understanding of politics.

But then there's this:

quote:

Kill It With Water: Waterboarding, although it doesn't usually kill the target.

Tropers use KILL IT WITH WATER to describe bosses in videogames you defeat with water.

And also torture victims apparently.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Keromaru5 posted:

Incidentally, I've been wanting to ask: does anyone have a link to that minicomic someone did where Tom Siddell is ranting about TV Tropes?

Would this help a search? It's a forum board in which he says:

quote:

Okay how's this:

What if people talked about stuff without referring to retarded TVTrope-isms and just explained what they meant?

Then, in response to whining, replied:

quote:

What's wrong with it is that I hate it and I don't want to see it on my forum.

If you want to link to an article on a common literary device during a discussion that will help you convey your meaning, then fine.

If you want to link to a list of all the instances in any creative work when a character says "yes" and refer to it as the Subverted Negative Scenario, then don't.

...and then closed the thread when people wouldn't cut it out.

I haven't heard of this guy before, but I think I like him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not read Gunnerkrigg Court (I've heard it's meant to be quite good) but I think there's a couple of pages about it for TV Tropes. I wonder if that's provoked anything.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The guy that writes it is a goon, he probably read the previous mock threads.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Apple Tree posted:

Would this help a search? It's a forum board in which he says:

Then, in response to whining, replied:

...and then closed the thread when people wouldn't cut it out.

I haven't heard of this guy before, but I think I like him.

Eh, it's close, but I'm talking about this comic someone did after hanging out with him at a convention. I think he says "Under 'Distressed Orphan,' it says, 'Subverted: Annie isn't an orphan.' I'm getting hit with tropes I don't even use!"

Also, yeah, totally read Gunnerkrigg Court.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Djeser posted:

(This page is locked from editing. :iiam:)

Mystery? You're not thinking enough like a juvenile. I'd bet :10bux: that they kept getting posts about how "BROWN EYE?! lol it means ANUS!!! roflbbq"

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The guy that writes it is a goon, he probably read the previous mock threads.

Wait, seriously? I've noticed there are more than a few GC avatars on the forums but I figured it was just a popularity thing. Huh. Maybe my taste in webcomics isn't completely terrible after all. :unsmith:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
For a post in the tumblr thread, I had to look up the original lyric in a Pochahontas song, which brought me to the YMMV page for the film.

quote:

Acceptable Ethnic Targets: The lyrics to Savages had to be changed when concerns about racism toward the Indians came up (see Unfortunate Implications below). However, everyone seemed to be fine with the prejudice of the Indians toward the white settlers.

quote:

The intentioanally-just-as-racist lines from the other side were all apparently fine though.

Let's have a look at that Acceptable Ethnic Targets page, it's sure not to include bad thi-

quote:

Whites, being the vast majority of Americans, are consequently the group that is (historically and concurrently) the least discriminated against. This is more true of white males. Thus, when racial discrimination against white males does occur, it is often overlooked. In some circles, such racism is considered to be acceptable (see other, guilty white people) and even bringing attention to it is often decried as racist.

:stonk:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

I've not read Gunnerkrigg Court (I've heard it's meant to be quite good) but I think there's a couple of pages about it for TV Tropes. I wonder if that's provoked anything.

Interest probably waned when the main characters got to high school age.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Plan Z posted:

Interest probably waned when the main characters got to high school age.

Yeah, mining the Trope pages is thankfully pretty boring. I was almost disappointed that the Chibisoma rant wasn't posted in earnest on one of the Analysis pages.

Although in Headscratchers:

quote:

Does Tom Siddell come off as a bit of a dick to anyone else? I don't know if it's the 'emotionally detached' narration or what, but it seems that he could be a bit more genial towards the comic's readers.

Which is funny because when he wanders into the BSS thread he's always pretty cool. SA booting you the gently caress out for getting creepy on middle school girls probably has a lot to do with it.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Razorwired posted:

They're what the Goons would have been if we didn't start making fun of each other.

You joke, but this is literally the case. Way back when it was just a den for nerds and spergs, it wasn't actually that creepy because people would mock the idiots talking about their sister fetish or how blacks are inferior. Then they changed the homepage from "Tropes are neither good or bad, don't take it personally. In the hands of bad writers their cliches and in the hands of good...blah blah blah...feel free to list both!" into hugbox bullcrap and it spiraled down the drain ever since.

Fatkraken posted:

On the plus side, this thread made me finally get round to Lolita, in the form of the aforementioned Jeremy Irons reading, and it really was spectacular. If anything, Irons' reading makes him seem MORE of a monster though, no one can do utter contempt like Jeremy Irons.

Do yourself and never read an interview by him around when Operation Yewtree happened and you could go on thinking that.

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 8, 2013

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Let's see what's listed under Oddly Named Sequel 2: Electric Boogaloo.

quote:

Michael Bay said Transformers wouldn't have Numbered Sequels. It was followed by Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen and Transformers: Dark of the Moon. It's at least consistent so far, but this does create the obvious problem of not being able to know the correct order without any prior knowledge or research.

Naming your sequels without numbering them qualifies as odd.

quote:

Home Alone got a Setting Update sequel (Home Alone 2: Lost In New York). Then came a sequel with another character, Home Alone 3. Then one that's supposedly with the same character from the original, Home Alone 4.

Numbering your sequels without naming them is also odd.

quote:

Apparently, deciding to make a sequel to Cube wasn't silly enough. They had to call the sequel Cube 2: Hypercube.

Numbering and naming your sequels is odd too.

quote:

Mission: Impossible had two numbered sequels. The fourth drops them: Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol.

So is numbering sequels for a while but eventually stopping.

quote:

The Darwin's Soldiers short story Card of Ten is supposed to have a sequel. The sequel is named Ship of State.

If you give the sequel its own name that is neither a number nor a subtitle, that might be even odder.

quote:

They Might Be Giants' self-titled debut album has been nicknamed "The Pink Album" because of its cover art. And as a Beatles reference.

Even if the title is just the band name and (being a debut album) it isn't a sequel, it's still somehow an oddly-named sequel.

My question is: what name can you give a sequel that tropers won't consider odd?

(Note that Numbered Sequels, Stopped Numbering Sequels, Word Salad Title, Recycled Title, New Season, New Title, and about fifty other "tropes" have separate pages.)

clamp down and keep going
Jun 19, 2013
I've been reading the Chinese novel A Dream of Red Mansions. I decided "Hey, I'll look at the TvTropes page to see what's under there." More out of morbid curiosity.

At the very top there is a very anime looking picture of three female, because no other picture could be more appropriate for a Chinese classic than that. The other immediately noticeable thing about this page is how short it is. Surprising considering the length of the novel, the Foreign Language Press edition is 1887 pages across four books, and the prestige of this novel, but it's already been covered in the OP why that is the case.

There are about 27 tropes in total on the page. Many of which are terms I'm not familiar with like "Yandere" and not interested enough to learn about some bad term. Here are two of them.

quote:

Gorgeous Period Dress: The various live-action TV adaptations invariably feature those, as is appropriate for a cast of upper-class Qing Dynasty women.

I love this because its particularly pointless and inane. Yes, people dress nice on TV. Thank you, TvTropes.

quote:

Rule 34: The novel has been adapted, among other things, into a hentai online game.

This is probably the worst trope on this page. This is fluff just as much as the other example but how desperate do you have to be to bring up Rule 34 to tell the internet that someone made an erotic game?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I'll answer that question with another: how desperate do you have to be to post anything at all on TV Tropes?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
So, that Nate Spidgewood guy (apparently he got banned for arguing a lot way back when SA noticed TV Tropes, and kept coming back for more and more? He also does really lovely comics) got desperate enough to go ask a hacking forum to invade TV Tropes for him, and even tried to crowdfund a hacker 200 bucks just to do it. (Since archive.org is acting weird, go put in http://www.gofundme.com/49e1k8 in your Google searchbar and access the cache.)

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Undead Unicorn posted:

You joke, but this is literally the case. Way back when it was just a den for nerds and spergs, it wasn't actually that creepy because people would mock the idiots talking about their sister fetish or how blacks are inferior. Then they changed the homepage from "Tropes are neither good or bad, don't take it personally. In the hands of bad writers their cliches and in the hands of good...blah blah blah...feel free to list both!" into hugbox bullcrap and it spiraled down the drain ever since.

Why the change, do you know?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

JackMackerel posted:

So, that Nate Spidgewood guy (apparently he got banned for arguing a lot way back when SA noticed TV Tropes, and kept coming back for more and more? He also does really lovely comics) got desperate enough to go ask a hacking forum to invade TV Tropes for him, and even tried to crowdfund a hacker 200 bucks just to do it. (Since archive.org is acting weird, go put in http://www.gofundme.com/49e1k8 in your Google searchbar and access the cache.)
I have to wonder why he bothered. Given what I've seen in these threads, I'm pretty sure that I could hack TV Tropes, and I've never done any coding beyond the most basic HTML.

Also, here's a ready-made link to the Google cache for those who want it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Apple Tree posted:

Because Fast Eddie is a sad, insane man who can dish it out but not take it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Apple Tree posted:

In 2008 the site hardware crashed and they lost a ton of articles. Some of the members reached out to anime fandoms which didn't help things any. Of course, they have a piss-poor article on it as well as a pointless contributor list.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheGreatCrash

quote:

January 12, 2008: Catastrophic hardware failure strikes the Wiki, resetting all articles back to mid-October. There was great lamenting and scrambling by editors to save articles from Google's and Yahoo's caches.
This is their story.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GreatCrashContributors

quote:

Follows is a list of those brave souls who freely contributed their work prior to The Great Crash of 2008. This is our attempt to identify those who may not be already properly credited with their hard work contributing to the first two-and-a-half years of the wiki's existence.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

that Nate Spiegelwood guy posted:

I was just innocent. I'm not ordering people around because I'm trying to get help from some hackers to stop those admins from making TV Tropes a horrible place flooded with namespaces while it's supposed to be a good, witty, addictive wiki about story devices.

Namespaces: totally the worst of TVTropes' problems!

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Namespaces: totally the worst of TVTropes' problems!

It's funny, he's registered about 50+ sockpuppets so far, all just to revert namespaces or coding (the admins decide to switch markups randomly). And when he gets caught, he spams exclamation points!!!!!! And apparently took to threatening random tropers about how he'll kick their asses.

At one point, he freely admitted he was 18 while going on his rampages.

^^ The hacking by those Islamist guys also wiped things off the map, but they "didn't want to give any more credit" or some poo poo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

In 2008 the site hardware crashed and they lost a ton of articles. Some of the members reached out to anime fandoms which didn't help things any. Of course, they have a piss-poor article on it as well as a pointless contributor list.

I think it coincided with a crackdown on anime fancruft over on Wikipedia as well, so you had a lot of anime fans who'd run afoul of Wikipedia's policies on notability migrating to TV Tropes instead.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Edit: nvm farther behind than I thought :saddowns:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh, apparently they still have the "Black Comedy Rape" article. Classy as a fedora, TV Tropes.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 27, 2014

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

WickedHate posted:

Oh, apparently they still have the "Black Comedy Rape" article. Classy as a fedora, TV Tropes.

Morbid curiosity compelled me to check it out.

loving Christ, they have subcategories:

quote:

Rape in General

quote:

Rape of/by Animals

quote:

Rape of/by Machines/Inanimate Objects

quote:

Rape by Monsters

quote:

Rape of Men by Women

See also Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male.
:cripes:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

Morbid curiosity compelled me to check it out.

loving Christ, they have subcategories:

:cripes:

What is it like to gaze into the very soul of TVTropes?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well that's just because they have so many examples they have to organize them into categories.

They have so many examples they have to organize them into categories. :psyboom:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 11, 2013

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

WickedHate posted:

They have so many examples they have to organize them into categories. :psyboom:
That isn't even the half of it. I went to the mythical page out of curiosity and used screengrab to take a picture of it. With all the folders expanded, the size of the screenshot was 1,094 px wide and 32,760 pixels tall. loving 32 thousand pixels tall of text about :

That loving page posted:

in the wacky world of fiction, particularly those stories written by old-school, non-PC types, rape (or the threat of it) is a 'hilarious' way to punish a character.
Seriously, this is scaled down to 5% of its original size and chopped up into multiple columns to not take up an ungodly amount of visual space - even at 5%, the picture was still 1,658 pixels tall

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You never realize how accurate :tvtropes: is until times like these.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012
It's always fun to watch tropers trying to fit a very specific concept into things that really don't need it:

Yandere

Glorious Nippon posted:

Queen Dido in The Aeneid, making this trope Older Than Feudalism.

Professor Derrida Kawaii posted:

Agatha Christie seemed to be pretty fond of this trope for many of her female characters, mostly under the "deconstructing the Proper Lady and examining it more or less realistically" category, which was especially appropriate for the time period she wrote her novels in, when women were expected to be devoted to only their loved ones and have no other life of their own. This is deconstructed so very much. Vera would have to be her most prominent example because she not only deconstructs it; she stomps all over it and rips it completely to shreds.

...Everything that is different from the norm is either a deconstruction or an anime.:anime:

Anime Club posted:

God loves us, but He's quite jealous: It's the First Commandment. For one, He denies the godhood of any other gods, insisting on the term "idol" and the like. The Old Testament is filled to brim with examples of what He does to those who leave him for other gods.

B-Baka it's not like you're my chosen people or anything!

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

That isn't even the half of it. I went to the mythical page out of curiosity and used screengrab to take a picture of it. With all the folders expanded, the size of the screenshot was 1,094 px wide and 32,760 pixels tall. loving 32 thousand pixels tall of text about :

Seriously, this is scaled down to 5% of its original size and chopped up into multiple columns to not take up an ungodly amount of visual space - even at 5%, the picture was still 1,658 pixels tall

Jesus Christ. Every time I feel like this thread is getting boring we dredge up some abomination like this and I remember why this site deserves all of the hatred we direct towards it.

These people would probably classify Irreversible as an edgy, non-P.C. black comedy.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Nate Spidgewood continues his weird-rear end campaign.

quote:

NateHatesYouMore1
Medium:
01:07:14 PM 11th Oct 2013
This is a message from Nate Spidgewood...

Listen up, Fighteer and other frickin' Wikipedia admins who ruined TV Tropes - You disgrace me for the last time. Some rear end in a top hat on Encyclopedia Dramatica decided it's a "funny" idea to rip on me over there BECAUSE I was fighting your nonstop namespace crap, your colossal destruction of good tropes AND your "zero context example" bullcrap and you kept whacking me! I'm so fuckin' PISSED!! It's all YOUR fault for labeling me a "troll" (which I'm NOT) and letting Encyclopedia Dramatica hate on ME for arguing with you guys!! And you KNOW that ED is one of the WORST websites on the internet!! I can't BELIEVE it. You just RUINED my editing fun last year by kicking me off for ranting, which is bad enough, and THEN Dramatica put me on their target spot which I don't DESERVE! loving communist idiots, I hope you die!!!

And this guy is 18. I'm reminded of Jim Profit.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

JackMackerel posted:

This guy seems awfully angry over not being allowed to post on a terrible website.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JackMackerel posted:

Encyclopedia Dramatica and Tvtropes: Bastions of internet communism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010

DoctorPresident posted:

It's always fun to watch tropers trying to fit a very specific concept into things that really don't need it:

Yandere

Glorious Nippon posted:

Queen Dido in The Aeneid, making this trope Older Than Feudalism.

I am going to loving scream no get the gently caress away from the Aeneid you don't know what you're talking about oh my god.

Actually, let me take a look at their Aeneid page and see what tropes these people think apply to it.

Aerith and Bob posted:

Amongst the exotic sounding Greek and Latin names, it may come as a surprise for some to also find names still used today like 'Anna' and 'Camilla'.

Aerith and Bob is a trope about "normal" names alongside weirdo made up names. This is not the same thing at all.

Affectionate Nickname posted:

Anaeas is known as "pious Anaeas"; the two words rhyme in the original Latin.

"Pious Aeneas" is an epithet, a characteristic of epic poetry. It's not a nickname at all. Also learn how to spell the name before writing about it, good lord.

Author Existence Failure posted:

Virgil died in Augustus' arms with the poem not yet completed to his satisfaction. He ordered Augustus to burn it. Luckily, Augustus ignored his wishes and published it instead. The poem still contains half-lines that Virgil included as placeholders while he figured out what the full line should say.

Oh my god Virgil did not die in Augustus' arms what the gently caress stop passing off your weird yaoi fanfiction as fact.

Brick Joke posted:

Aeneas is mentioned in The Iliad, and it is stated that he shall be the future leader for all Trojans yet to come. Homer never mentioned this again, and the lost epics of the Trojan Cycle have him either fleeing Troy before the sack or being captured and spared by the Greeks. 800 years later, Virgil resolves the story.

:psyduck: How is that a brick joke???

Department of Redundancy Departmen posted:

The metrical restrictions of Latin epic, as well as a hefty bit of Vergil's personal style, make for awkward (if not downright humorous) translations. Aeneas' entrance into the "cavernous cavern" is just one of dozens of examples. Vergil also seems fond of his characters "pressing footsteps" rather than just walking.

I have no idea if this person actually read this in Latin or just in translation. It all sounds fine in Latin, but yeah you're gonna get some weird lines in translation. How is it not clear to people that when you're reading something in translation you aren't just getting what the original author wrote, you're also getting the translator's biases and interpretation of the text? I've translated the Aeneid myself and it was starkly different from, say, the Fitzgerald and Lombardo translations. Which are in turn different from each other.

Ugh, I can't read this anymore, I hate tropers.

• Locked thread