Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

After looking up VOTOMS to make a post in the anime rec thread, I'm kind of curious - are any of the spin-offs and OVAs worth the time investment? I want to give the show a rewatch, and the Wikipedia article for the show helpfully has a timeline for the whole shebang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Kind of. Most of the OVAs, Last Red Shoulder and Big Battle aside, make Chirico into Space Wolverine Jesus, which is irksome. Merrowlink isn't great, but it's fun enough on its own. I haven't seen the newer ones, Phantom Arc and Alone Again. Case Irvine is like an alternate universe setting, I think. In short, give them a shot if you like the sound of it. At the very least, I think Pailsen Files had some nice action.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Endorph posted:

After looking up VOTOMS to make a post in the anime rec thread, I'm kind of curious - are any of the spin-offs and OVAs worth the time investment? I want to give the show a rewatch, and the Wikipedia article for the show helpfully has a timeline for the whole shebang.

You should be relatively safe by watching the prequels and side stories. Outside of a couple of retcons, they work fairly well with the TV show.

What I'd warn you about is that the direct sequels (Shining Heresy, Phantom Arc, Alone Again) are a bit divisive and some would call them outright counter-productive. They're not the worst thing ever, but some of the events in them tend to feel like artificial extensions to a story/character arc that had already reached a solid conclusion. Watch them with very limited expectations if you must.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
For what it's worth I couldn't actually finish watching Shining Heresy because it was either really boring or my eyes rolled out of my head, I don't remember

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

muike posted:

For what it's worth I couldn't actually finish watching Shining Heresy because it was either really boring or my eyes rolled out of my head, I don't remember

That's probably for the best, if you ask me, since watching the whole thing wasn't exactly satisfying.

To put it another way...as awesome as Chirico is, I think the sequels should have tried to focus on other characters.

wielder fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 7, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mellowlink is pretty cool if you're in the mood for a revenge story, plus it's quite rare to see a protagonist that fights mechs on foot. It could have been a few episodes shorter, but it's still a pretty fun watch.

The single episode OVAs make continuity a little muddy but they're still worth watching.

I really like Shining Heresy though it's a weird ride since it feels different from the tv series. It had to be rushed (was originally gonna be 12 episodes instead of 6) though as far as sequels to stories that had definitive endings go, it could have been a lot worse.

Pailsen Files is decent. The CG is a bit rough but thanks to it they manage to do things that they couldn't have easily done in the 80s.

Alone Again is a nice followup to Shining Heresy. Of the three one-shot OVAs from a few years back, it's easily the best one. The other two (Case Irvine and Votoms Finder) are mediocre at best and they get a bit silly; Case Irvine has some ridiculous mechs that feel out of place combined with a plot about a dude who is just so goddamn crazy (but not in a good way), and Votoms Finder is so far detached from the Votoms setting it feels like it should have been its own thing. Alone Again wraps up some lingering plot threads from Shining Heresy and though the villain was forgettable, I really like how it ended.

Phantom Arc is lovely and awful. So bad that I gotta spoil it as a warning to people who might want to watch it

Wiseman survived and Chirico defeats him by unplugging him again.

Its first 3 episodes are alright but the Chirico parts of Phantom Arc are painfully bad. Revisiting the different locales from the show to see how they have changed was a decent idea, but they hosed up in the second half.

Also if anyone is reading this and they haven't watched Votoms but want to: Go with production order.

Srice fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 7, 2013

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

So I'm planning on reading Claymore, but I was wondering is the Beserk anime is as rapey as the manga allegedly is ( I haven't read it).
Also is the Detective Conan anime good? I used to watch it as a kid but now it has 700 episodes :eyepop: .

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RebBrownies posted:

So I'm planning on reading Claymore, but I was wondering is the Beserk anime is as rapey as the manga allegedly is ( I haven't read it).

Berserk is full of violence, sex, and sexual violence. That said, at least in the Golden Age arc (which is 95% of the anime, or 100% if you mean the more recent movies) it's directed equally at everyone.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

RebBrownies posted:

Also is the Detective Conan anime good? I used to watch it as a kid but now it has 700 episodes :eyepop: .

Detective Conan is fine for what it is, most of the mysteries are smart, and the characters are likable. If you can get past the fact that the show has been on the air long enough for Shinichi to have grown up and surpassed his original age.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think Miura started the manga perfectly. Big burly one armed dude missing an eye loving a lady. Suddenly she's a succubus and going to kill him. No, gently caress you, demon, you've fallen into my trap. Giant sword.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

RebBrownies posted:

Detective Conan is very good. The high episode count simply means you have more good stuff to watch.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm just mad that they stopped dubbing it. After hearing the English voice acting (which I thought was great) for a hundred something episodes I just could not get into the subs at all. It's just too weird. :(

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I watched the movie Redline at the weekend and was really impressed. It's probably unlikely, but are there any action anime series out there with similar quality or style of animation?

Ive also watched and really enjoyed Black Lagoon and a bizarre show called Yondemasu Azazel San that had me in stitches. Any recommendations along the lines of these?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brasseye posted:

I watched the movie Redline at the weekend and was really impressed. It's probably unlikely, but are there any action anime series out there with similar quality or style of animation?

Ive also watched and really enjoyed Black Lagoon and a bizarre show called Yondemasu Azazel San that had me in stitches. Any recommendations along the lines of these?

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan. Watch the series and enjoy 12-odd hours of action-driven insanity that escalates far beyond what you'd think possible. And then keeps going :allears:. If you want a good comedy series, check out Panty and Stock with Garterbelt (the dub's hilarious) or Nichijou.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The closest you'll come to Redline is an OVA by the same director called Trava: Fist Planet. Takeshi Koike's style is really unique and there's not a lot of it. Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine has the style but the animation never lives up to the promise.

Jormungand is pretty close to Black Lagoon. Lots of fun gun fights and a sense of humor but having a darker more serious underbelly. Though Jormungand never gets as bleak as Black Lagoon. Fun note. The author of Jormungand's manga made a chapter in a Rei Hiroe (Black Lagoon's creator) tribute book where the casts meet and Hiroe made a comment that all the chapters in the book are considered Black Lagoon canon. So Jormungand in fact takes place in Black Lagoon's future.

As for Azazel-san you might want to try another comedy by the same director called Hare+Guu.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 9, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
TTGL is a no-brainer for batshit insane animation and action.

I concur with Nichijou. It has scenes siuch as girls running in a hallway and girls whacking a melon that are more batshit insane and absurdly well animated than 95% of action shows.

I'll also second Jormungand to follow up on Black Lagoon. They are very similar shows, but Jormungand is about Koko the arms dealer and her band of Merry Men. It's also one of the earliest shows by White Fox (Steins;Gate, Hataraku Maou-sama, Katanagatari).

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Dead Leaves is stylistically similar to Redline. The animation isn't as flat out ridiculous, bit its still pretty goddamn good. Its also funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Keep in mind that Gurren Lagann's animation quality falls in a few places - there's one early episode that's hilariously bad.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That episode was an intentional homage.

That said there are two episodes that aren't super great out of 26 and they come early. Everything else is pretty Baller.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Just got CrunchyRoll. What's the opinion on Kuroko's Basketball?

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
What's a good romance\drama anime?
Also I'm watching bleach how long does this crappy Bound arc go on for?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wokrider posted:

What's a good romance\drama anime?

Paradise Kiss. Absolutely.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wokrider posted:

Also I'm watching bleach how long does this crappy Bound arc go on for?

Bleach is terrible from the moment Soul Society stop being the antagonists, if not sooner. Watch something else, possibly One Piece or Busou Renkin (since 95% of Bleach is a sorry attempt to imitate one or both of those.)

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I would second Busou Renkin. Really awesome shounen action that people tend to overlook.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Bleach is terrible from the moment Soul Society stop being the antagonists, if not sooner. Watch something else, possibly One Piece or Busou Renkin (since 95% of Bleach is a sorry attempt to imitate one or both of those.)

tbh if you're going to start a long running shounen, make it Gintama. First dozen or so episodes aren't great, but it gets into the groove in the following dozen. Episode 25 is hilarious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is also good, and unlike a lot of shonen anime it's only 20-some episodes (though that's because it only covers the first two arcs of the manga.)

EDIT: ALso I didn't watch much of Kuroko's Basketball but from what I can tell it seems like a competent sports anime? Nothing about it really stood out to me but I'll freely admit I only gave it a 3 episode test. Seemed perfectly fine, just not really gripping or new.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 9, 2013

rvm
May 6, 2013

WickedHate posted:

It's pretty solid, entertaining sports anime, just don't expect Eyeshield 21, One Outs, Chihayafuru or anything like that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was thinking about Eyeshield 21, but I heard the anime adaption wasn't any good.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Yeah like rvm said, it's a very solid shounen sports story. Lots of dunking which is always great!

WickedHate posted:

I was thinking about Eyeshield 21, but I heard the anime adaption wasn't any good.

The Eyeshield anime isn't too bad really, the first two seasons are great. The third introduces Panther, who is a whole bunch of black stereotypes and general idiocy wrapped up in one character, on a team with a racist coach who won't let the kid play. It's solid again for a while, up through the conclusion of the tournament arc, but then there's an international tournament in America and you get more dumb racist stuff. Overall it's very enjoyable, there's just some scenes and episodes that will make you roll your eyes pretty hard.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Delusibeta posted:

tbh if you're going to start a long running shounen, make it Gintama. First dozen or so episodes aren't great, but it gets into the groove in the following dozen. Episode 25 is hilarious.

Listen to this guy. He knows what's up. Dick jokes and idiocy as far as the eye can see. Also, it's where Sugita REALLY started to shine.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Seconding Chihayafuru, it's a sports story distilled into its basic parts and given a huge helping of extreme yet self-aware dorkyness.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Seconding Chihayafuru, it's a sports story distilled into its basic parts and given a huge helping of extreme yet self-aware dorkyness.

I tried marathoning it, but the massive 40 chapter translation gap made me stop. I hate it when poo poo like that happens.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kokoro Wish posted:

I tried marathoning it, but the massive 40 chapter translation gap made me stop. I hate it when poo poo like that happens.

Ha, I was mostly talking about the anime, which is available on Crunchyroll. I watched that before diving into the manga, the only chapters I've read being the ones that haven't been animated yet.

Make sure you sort by oldest and start with that one, I've sent that link to two people and both of them have thought it started with the first episode of season 2.

Cacotopic Stain
Jun 25, 2013
I'm looking for some good cyberpunk to read. I heard of Battle Angel Alita from you guys, but some of the volumes are really expensive and make it hard for me to buy the entire series. Are there any cyberpunk manga that are good and are affordable? I've already heard of Ghost in the Shell but I prefer to watch the anime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cacotopic Stain posted:

I'm looking for some good cyberpunk to read. I heard of Battle Angel Alita from you guys, but some of the volumes are really expensive and make it hard for me to buy the entire series. Are there any cyberpunk manga that are good and are affordable? I've already heard of Ghost in the Shell but I prefer to watch the anime.

Blame! and its spritual successor Biomega are both pretty good dystopian cyberpunk manga.

Cacotopic Stain
Jun 25, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Blame! and its spritual successor Biomega are both pretty good dystopian cyberpunk manga.

Thank you. I checked out Blame! and Biomega on Amazon and drat Blame!'s prices are ridiculously high. Biomega it is then.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cacotopic Stain posted:

Thank you. I checked out Blame! and Biomega on Amazon and drat Blame!'s prices are ridiculously high. Biomega it is then.

The first volume's the only moderately rare one. The others usually go for about $20 a pop, last time I looked. My ebay-purchased copy of Blame! volume 1 (after a fair bit of searching for a copy that wouldn't set me back $50+) came all the way from a second-hand store somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Canada. I live in Australia, so that sucker probably had quite a hell of a trip.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
It's been too long without one, so I made a wiki page for The Devil is a Part-Timer. Feel free to add your opinions, or rewrite my description.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

unpronounceable posted:

It's been too long without one, so I made a wiki page for The Devil is a Part-Timer. Feel free to add your opinions, or rewrite my description.

This is one of my favourite recent series, and I will heartily recommend it to anyone looking for a nice, fun light comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
So what do goons think of Bakemonogatari and all it's ...sequels? spin-offs? I don't really understand the continuity at all but that's par for the course for anime in my experience. It seems pretty popular and lots of people have things to say about it so I've been making an effort to watch it. But the art style is weird as gently caress, not like, Madoka levels of disjointed craziness but pretty drat strange. For me at least it's pretty disconcerting, does it ever get more "normal"? Is it worth watching in spite of the weirdness? Does the weirdness contribute to the story in some meaningful way I can't yet understand? I just dunno, I watched the first few episodes and since it has so much hype I sort of want to soldier on but I just don't like the style much.

Basically I'm trying to ask if people think it's good / enjoyable enough to put up with the slightly strange art or alternately if I'm just wasting my time.

• Locked thread