Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I saw some kid in the full Barca orange gradient kit. I don't think anything is worse than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
What about a full spanish kit with my name on it but its actually a tattoo covering my entire body?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Scott Bakula posted:

I saw some kid in the full Barca orange gradient kit. I don't think anything is worse than that

Kids get a pass imo.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Adulterous Hitler posted:

What about a full spanish kit with my name on it but its actually a tattoo covering my entire body?

Depends, if you got a big gut to go with that it's alright.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
What if the name on the back is a nickname

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Total Meatlove posted:

TOP CHANTER

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Total Meatlove posted:

Only acceptable in conjunction with a squad number of 69

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
better yet if it is a non-Brazilian/Portuguese nickname with "inho" added on at the end.

On other news, world club cup brackets drawn. Atletico Mineiro will face the winner of Monterrey and the Oceania champion, and Bayern will face the winner between the Asia and African champions.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

joepinetree posted:

On other news, world club cup brackets drawn. Atletico Mineiro will face the winner of Monterrey and the Oceania champion, and Bayern will face the winner between the Asia and African champions.

How exciting.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Lamont Cranston posted:

Only acceptable in conjunction with a squad number of 69

Thank god for that....

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

joepinetree posted:

better yet if it is a non-Brazilian/Portuguese nickname with "inho" added on at the end.

God why don't we just have the intercontinental cup anymore it's stupid as poo poo until like the champions of the AFC (the only confederation outside of the big two that seems to be anywhere near the top two in terms of infrastructure etc) come and win the tournament it still is basically just one long build up to seeing if the Copa Libertadores winners can catch the Champions League winners napping.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

joepinetree posted:

I can never read the name "Paulinho" without thinking of some fat English guy playing Sunday League in his personalised replica shirt

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Messyass posted:

I think the scale looks something like this:

- Shirt without a name on the back while actually playing football yourself
- Shirt without a name on the back while watching a match in the stadium (you are now just about entering the twat zone)
- Shirt without a name on the back on any other occasion
- Shirt with a player's name on the back
- Shirt with your own name on the back
- Full kit

I've got a few Liverpool shirts from mates on b'days with my name or nickname on the back. I can't get myself to wear them, even when playing.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Monday Bandele posted:

I can never read the name "Paulinho" without thinking of some fat English guy playing Sunday League in his personalised replica shirt

lol

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

oh em gee bee ess posted:

God why don't we just have the intercontinental cup anymore it's stupid as poo poo until like the champions of the AFC (the only confederation outside of the big two that seems to be anywhere near the top two in terms of infrastructure etc) come and win the tournament it still is basically just one long build up to seeing if the Copa Libertadores winners can catch the Champions League winners napping.
TP Mazembe.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

I saw this, and it was decidedly not glorious.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The hell???

The Guardian posted:

Uefa is considering a radical overhaul of international football that would see national teams playing a new Nations League competition.

The idea, floated at executive committee meetings that preceded aUefa meeting in Dubrovnik last month, would see Uefa using existing dates for friendlies in the international calendar to launch a new league involving all 54 member nations.

Uefa sources have told the Guardian that the idea was one of several floated at the meeting as part of a discussion about how to improve the attractiveness of international football from 2018 onwards. The Uefa executive committee will now examine the idea in more detail before deciding whether to adopt it.

The new concept, first revealed by Norwegian paper Dagbladet, would see all Uefa's members divided into a series of perhaps nine divisions based on their recent results, with promotion and relegation following each round of matches.

The winner of the first division would be Uefa's Nations League champion and win a substantial prize, with the bottom team in each division being relegated in favour of the winner of the tier below.

The Norwegian FA president, Yngve Hallen, who sits on UEFA's national committee for international tournaments, said: "It is true that a series of games is one of the models being discussed."

The discussions are taking place against a backdrop of concern that the qualifying campaigns for the expanded European Championships from 2016 will prove less attractive because there will be less jeopardy.

In conjunction with other Uefa innovations due to be introduced from 2014 onwards, including its "week of football" in which qualifiers will take place across six days to maximise viewers, the drive from its HQ in Nyon is to boost the profile of the international game.

Uefa has recently taken central control of TV rights for the competitive qualifying matches of all its member nations, promising large underwritten guarantees to the biggest countries. That has increased the pressure on Uefa to bring in funding from TV and commercial partners in order to meet them.

If the Uefa Nations League idea is explored further, then the European governing body would be likely to look to centralise the TV and marketing rights in the same way as it has for the Champions League.

"The success of the Champions League has already inspired the Europa League. This is also something they are trying to look at in connection with the Nations League - how this can sharpen the market. That's what this is largely about," said Hallen.

"But there have been very clear political guidelines from all 54 federations that the focus needs to be on the football/competitive aspect. All countries should have equal opportunities," he added.

"No-one should have to qualify for this tournament - everyone plays from the first game. And then there is also a recognition that tournament form should be easy to understand for most people. All this we need to work out."

The Swedish FA representative Karl-Erik Nilsson told Aftonbladet that "it has been established that it is difficult to get interest around friendlies".

"For 2020 it has been looked at whether it would be possible to combine traditional qualifiers with with this league format, instead of friendlies, to increase interest," he said.

"It is worth looking at but we were clear that it can't have an impact on the qualifiers for the Euro tournaments. The qualifiers are No1 and have the highest priority. There won't be more international games because of this."

He said the initial reaction among the 54 members was that "creating more interest is not something negative".

Nilsson added: "All 54 members were in Croatia and the idea was presented from a perspective of: is this worth looking at? And the overall feeling was: 'let's look at it but don't let it have an impact on the qualifiers'."

He said that one idea included in the presentation was to divide the groups so that clubs next to one another in the Fifa rankings were grouped together, while another version envisaged a geographical structure.

The FA and the other big European associations may be among the most difficult to convince of the merits of the plan, because they would have to give up the possibility of lucrative friendlies against big South American sides.

How the groups might look:

First division: Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy, England, Portugal

Second division: Russia, Greece, Croatia, Sweden, France, Bosnia-Herzegovina

Third division: Ukraine, Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, Hungary, Czech Republic

Fourth division: Republic of Ireland, Serbia, Norway, Slovakia, Turkey, Israel

Fifth division: Slovenia, Austria, Romania, Montenegro, Poland, Finland

Sixth division: Scotland, Armenia, Bulgaria, Latvia, Estonia, Belarus

Seventh division: Wales, Northern Ireland, Albania, Iceland, Lithuania, Macedonia

Eighth division: Georgia, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Cyprus, Kazakhstan

Ninth division: Liechtenstein, Faroe Islands, Malta, Andorra, San Marino, Gibraltar

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Awesome, we are in the second division. Go Swedennnnn.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Crazy Ted posted:

The hell???

Well, at least we're not in ninth. I've heard of this two days ago, the Polish media were all over it. It's not a bad idea to be honest. The concept seems to be transplanted from the volleyball World League. Somehow I don't think the major clubs are going to be too fond of this though.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Belgium is in the third division agreed

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008
Playing Ukraine and Hungary is gonna get a bit old around the 6th or 7th time, I reckon.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Modus Trollens posted:

Belgium is in the third division agreed
I'm furious op

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

R. Mute posted:

I'm furious op

It's a fookin disgrace

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
What's England doing in the first division group?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Why are Bosnia in the second divison and Serbia in the fourth? Reunite Yugoslavia ffs, imagine the team they could have.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I can't wait to watch England get stuck in to those Montenegro fuckers.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Vindaloo etc

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Mean Bean Machine posted:

What's England doing in the first division group?

Because they're actually quite good and don't get beaten very often.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
The European league system sounds ok, but rather than have 9 divisions which sounds like arse, they should adopt the swish system they use for chess tournaments.

With 54 teams everyone plays a random team in the first round, then after that teams are paired and drawn by their results. So all the teams who won the first match would be drawn against each other, and so forth over the following rounds. After 5 rounds the top 16 teams get to go play knock out over 16 days as you would at the world cup through a slightly longer international fortnight that suddenly people give a poo poo about. The teams who don't make the top 16 can play meaningless friendlies against Australia where they use 17 subs and no one gives a poo poo, as per usual.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
LOL just heard John Barnes have a proper go at some daft Scouse woman on the radio.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Whaddaya think?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Whaddaya think?

No Howson? Joke team.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Whaddaya think?

Looks like a side that has literally no chance of winning anything ever.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Pissflaps posted:

Looks like a side that has literally no chance of winning anything ever.

Obviously, it says English XI in the title, Pissflaps.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
:drat:

NL - Hungary tonight. I might just go to bed early.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Hart
Walker Jags Cahill Baines
Carrick Gerrard
Townsend Rooney Welbs
Sturridge

is more or less my pick (agreeing with Barney's webchat here) but Milner will be playing defensively down a flank for some reason because why not

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Obviously, it says English XI in the title, Pissflaps.

It might not be that obvious if people thought I was talking about world wars.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Modus Trollens posted:

is more or less my pick (agreeing with Barney's webchat here) but Milner will be playing defensively down a flank for some reason because why not

Better Milner than Welbeck

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Norway will probably lose away to Slovenia tonight. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
I think Alex McCarthy should be in one of those goalkeeper positions, the experience would be a boon. Regardless of with it's with Reading or not, he's 23 and more likely to feature in the England team in future than some of the older players currently warming the bench.

• Locked thread