Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Horizontal Tree posted:

Func.. I lift mine with my thumb and tip of my pinky on the ridge all the time. Its pretty light so that helps it too.

That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear - think I'm going to risk the quality and support issues people are bitching about and just order one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I wouldn't say there are definite quality and support issues. Newegg got some with bad cables, but other than that I haven't heard anything bad. I was just unlucky enough to get two of said bad ones, and then a mistake with customer support (just didn't get the shipping label to warranty mine when I was supposed to) slowed things down a bit. Otherwise, support was very helpful and very quick to answer. I'd say go for it and see if it works out for your giant mitts
Honestly, if mine broke out of warranty, I'd just buy another. And I haven't said that about any other mice.

EDIT: Oh dear, just realized Func has released a mechanical keyboard... :neckbeard:

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 6, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Big handed goons, please help. I’m getting desperate here. I am having a hell of a time finding any sort of ergonomically comfortable mouse that won’t cause my pinky finger to cramp up, and I’m not having luck finding anyone else who has had this problem.

I’ve got fairly big hands, 10” tip to tip span, 8” from heel to middle finger tip, 4.5” from pinky edge to thumb edge with my hand closed. I tend to sort of halfway palm grip, halfway claw grip. None of that is really the problem though.

I’m able to - for lack of a better word - roll my hand into a fairly small tube shape. When I’m gaming, I tend to bring the pinky knuckle at the top of my hand down in close to the mouse body, as though I am trying to keep a death grip on the mouse. Actually I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what I’m doing. Why, I have no idea, as I rarely lift the mouse or anything like that. The thing is if you squeeze a mouse with the knuckles at the top of your hand, there is never any real resistance to your pinky knuckle area simply sliding to the left across the top of the mouse. This creates sort of a feedback where I squeeze harder, both with my hand and with the inside edge of my pinky. I think it helps having a highly textured mouse body that gives great grip to the pinky finger. Or, some sort of a decently sized grove where I could “lift” the mouse with the top of my pinky. This would probably let me feel more in control of the mouse without having to crush the sucker.

For reference, I think I loved some ancient version of a Microsoft Explorer mouse, back when optical mice were just becoming a thing. I remember it being gigantic. A Logitech MX518 / M500 gave me lasting hand pain within a couple days of use. I recently got to use a Logitech G600 for a little while; it wasn’t great and I didn’t like having all the MMO buttons, but the height of the mouse seemed to help.

The mouse I’ve been using for a couple years is a G9. It’s been OK but still gives me periodic bouts of pain in my pinky. Also the mouse died, so it’s time to move on. So, here’s what I am considering:

1) Buying the most gigantic mouse in the world, http://usb.brando.com/usb-big-mouse_p02543c037d015.html so that I physically can’t close my hand around it.
2) Buying this ugly thing https://amzn.com/B009PHSDBM then cranking everything all the way out and hoping it helps.
3) Checking out the Func MS-3 someone recommended a few pages back. I’m concerned though that those side ridges for the ring and pinky finger aren’t prominent enough. Can anyone comment if those are resistant enough to be squeezed without your hand sliding over the top?
4) Game while wearing a splint on my pinky so that I can’t close my hand.

If all else fails, I’m pretty much going to attach an adjustable Velcro strap to a new mouse. Or bust out the Dremel and some JB Weld and chop my G9 body in half, then set it wider and at a steeper tilt and glue it on to something else. This is getting ridiculous.

I have an old-school MX Rev (pre-bluetooth with the long receiver) and it's pretty large. You can probably find out on display at Best Buy that you could mess with for a few moments before people start looking at you weird.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Actually tried that yesterday. Sadly the Best Buy and Office Max around here have eliminated just about all of their displays that you can actually get your hands on. How the hell am I supposed to use them as an Amazon showroom now?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Actually tried that yesterday. Sadly the Best Buy and Office Max around here have eliminated just about all of their displays that you can actually get your hands on. How the hell am I supposed to use them as an Amazon showroom now?

Best Buy will price match amazon, so I just buy it there if I like it. Got my g700s for $75 instead of $100 that way.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I don't suppose there's a newer equivalent to the Logitech G7? I loved mine and it had a good run, but started double clicking a year ago and they were out of replacements for a RMA. In the meantime, I've been using a Cyborg RAT 7 that I had gotten as a graduation gift, and I guess I just grew used to it. But it's double clicking too, and I don't want to deal with the hassle of getting the proof of purchase for a replacement, so I'm on the market for a new mouse.

There doesn't seem to be anything with the G7's ejectable battery + charging station combo. I loved that because even running out of battery mid-game only meant a quick 5 second swap. The G602 seems to be the next closest thing I can find now, but I'm pretty sure I will hate these side buttons as I already only use one out of two.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The g700s can be used wirelessly or wired, that's kind of similar, and it's a fantastic mouse.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I really, really like the G700s but the decal thingy on it feels so cheap :(

I wish they made the G9x with 4 side buttons like the G700s.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

fookolt posted:

I really, really like the G700s but the decal thingy on it feels so cheap :(

I wish they made the G9x with 4 side buttons like the G700s.

You mean the design? Yeah it's hideous but ignorable, and the textured grip is fantastic.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Don't really care about grip texture either way, I've gotten used to a fingertip grip.

What about its battery life? Reviews are stating 4-6 hours, which is pretty bad. I'd rather be using the cable mode as the exception, not the norm.

And apparently the extra buttons can be programmed without keeping the Logitech bloatware running in the background, meaning I could just program them to act as "mouse4, mouse5, etc." and never worry about it again?

G602 users, is this also the case with that mouse?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

big mean giraffe posted:

You mean the design? Yeah it's hideous but ignorable, and the textured grip is fantastic.

The textured grip is what I'm talking about; it feels too slippery and plastic :(

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

fookolt posted:

The textured grip is what I'm talking about; it feels too slippery and plastic :(

But the grip on the 700s isn't slippery or plasticy at all?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

big mean giraffe posted:

But the grip on the 700s isn't slippery or plasticy at all?

Maybe I'm using the wrong word. I'm talking about the part circled in red here:

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Jan posted:

What about its battery life? Reviews are stating 4-6 hours, which is pretty bad. I'd rather be using the cable mode as the exception, not the norm.

And apparently the extra buttons can be programmed without keeping the Logitech bloatware running in the background, meaning I could just program them to act as "mouse4, mouse5, etc." and never worry about it again?

Apparently I've had a G700 (the classic one) for, wow, about 3 years now I think? It's 'broken' quite a few times, but based on this thread, pretty much all mice break anyway (eg lmb double clicks etc), however I tend to fix my own mice and have never used Logitech's apparently fantastic warranty service.

The battery life is bad, but I don't think it's quite as bad as 4-6 hours. While my guess is that I don't use it all that much, I probably get at least 2 computer-days use out of it per charge, and it'll charge from my computer's USB while the machine's off. Though I can tell the difference between super awesome 1000 times a second polling and 125 times a second polling, it doesn't seem like a big deal, and just run with 125 (there's a bunch of inbetween options, too), so that probably helps battery usage a lot, and use power saver as my power mode, and have never had any problems with that. It'll will work at 'critical' battery level for really quite a long time - probably longer than all the other power levels combined. At least, that's been my experience with some duracell/energizer 'high performance' 2500mAH batteries anyway; if you feed it eneloops (IIRC it comes with one) maybe this is different. It's worth swapping the AA battery it uses out probably every year or so, since with the regular recharging they stop being great after a while (in fact it's high time I do this)

After 3 years use, the only real signs of wear are a) some of the grip coming off from the thumb area right below the buttons, and b) the mouse wheel is a bit raggy looking either side of the rubber inner band thing. Using it with the cable is pretty rare, and is always as a last resort (ie the battery literally dies on me), but I don't play any games where this would actually be a big deal. Also, the Logitech logo is still on it and is completely pristine.

The mouse will indeed retain its settings without the software, though I think any mouse that talks about onboard memory or 'stored profiles' works this way. I may still be using some ancient version of the software (I'm definitely not using Logitech gaming software) so I can't be 100% sure about this, but at least they seem to be referred to as Generic Button 1-5 in what I'm using (I use keystrokes for everything). I don't know if it's changed, but the only real downside I've found is that if you run the software on multiple computers and move the mouse between them, you can only change the settings on one of them. You can rehome the mouse to one of the other system, but last I checked, you lose your stored settings, which is annoying if you just wanted to tweak something or set up a macro. I probably haven't checked this in years, though, so it may have changed. it apparently has, which is nice! (edit re VVV)

No idea how much of this has changed for the S version (god it looks stupid), or the newer software, though. My opinion/experiences may not be comparable to what you're looking for, though, I probably game once/week, if that, but also use it for work, which is a little more comparable vs browsing etc.

edit - also I would say it's the best mouse I've ever owned, but I haven't owned a lot of mice. Upgrade path was MX700->MX1000->G700

Quaternion Cat fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 8, 2013

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Jan posted:

Don't really care about grip texture either way, I've gotten used to a fingertip grip.

G602 users, is this also the case with that mouse?
Yes, the onboard memory functionality is included with the G602 so that you can program keystrokes to buttons higher than Mouse5 (Windows doesn't recognize buttons higher than Mouse5) and uninstall the software if you want.

With regard to your bloatware comment - I can understand not wanting to run software, but LGS only uses 35 MB of RAM and a miniscule amount of CPU time while running in the background. It's not nothing, but when you consider Steam uses ~100, Skype uses ~75, and a random Chrome tab will run from 20-150 depending on content, it's not really that much. And it gives you significantly more capability (macros of unlimited length, automatic profile switching based on the game that's active, LUA scripting) than just saving functions to the mouse.

Mastigophoran posted:

I don't know if it's changed, but the only real downside I've found is that if you run the software on multiple computers and move the mouse between them, you can only change the settings on one of them. You can rehome the mouse to one of the other system, but last I checked, you lose your stored settings, which is annoying if you just wanted to tweak something or set up a macro. I probably haven't checked this in years, though, so it may have changed.
In LGS mice with onboard memory no longer work this way. The onboard profile is retained when switching between PCs unless explicitly changed by the user.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Goo posted:

With regard to your bloatware comment - I can understand not wanting to run software, but LGS only uses 35 MB of RAM and a miniscule amount of CPU time while running in the background. It's not nothing, but when you consider Steam uses ~100, Skype uses ~75, and a random Chrome tab will run from 20-150 depending on content, it's not really that much. And it gives you significantly more capability (macros of unlimited length, automatic profile switching based on the game that's active, LUA scripting) than just saving functions to the mouse.

There's the thing -- I really don't care for macro functionality, much less separate game profiles. I already have a Logitech G110 keyboard, and don't even run the profiler for it. If I can store and forget keystrokes, I'll probably try that out but anything fancier will likely just go unused. Manual macro edition is a chore, so for any fancy macros I just use the automation framework I cobbled together over a few years of MMO gaming.

I guess the bloatware comment a knee jerk reaction relative to prior version of the game software -- back in my G7/G10 days, the LCD program, the keyboard macro program and SetPoint together used over 50 MB on computers that had far less RAM and were utterly abhorrent to use besides. One day after reinstalling Windows, I didn't bother installing Logitech software and found I wasn't missing anything.

I do appreciate the endorsement of the G602 though, I'm leaning towards that one if only because it isn't butt ugly like the G700s. Hell, even my dying Cyborg RAT 7 looks better than the G700s, in its own weird way. :v:

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
I'm actually trying not to endorse or push anything seeing as how I'm the product manager for Logitech's gaming mice.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Goo, here's my thing with software like SetPoint, LGS, etc. Full disclosure: I don't think I've used any kind of mouse software for about 6 years now, so this might all be irrelevant now.

I don't want it telling me things unless I ask it something first. I don't want a popup that says, 'YOU SHOULD UPDATE'. ever. Even if I'm in the software, I don't want to see it at all. I don't want to hear about other products or offers. I don't want to hear about the new version. I don't want to hear about anything, at all, ever, ever, ever. Back in the day, there was a time when mouse software was the most annoying thing second only maybe to 'YOU HAVE UNUSED ICONS ON YOUR DESKTOP...' It's great if there is an option to check for updates in the software, but again, anything information that's I didn't ask for is not cool, and a single offense in that department would make me immediately reach for the 'uninstall' button.

Beyond that, I can honestly deal with the software being 'flashy' and 'shiny', although I'd certainly prefer 'functional and simple'. But 1 pop up for anything ever, even if it's 'you successfully installed LGS' is poo poo. Completely and utterly silent, or bust.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
That's the most extreme view I've ever seen on that topic, jesus

I like when software tells me about updates and I like LGS, quite a bit in fact. Keep making good software Logitech

emdash fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 8, 2013

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Will you ever sell replacement feet for your mice? :(

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Goo, here's my thing with software like SetPoint, LGS, etc. Full disclosure: I don't think I've used any kind of mouse software for about 6 years now, so this might all be irrelevant now.

I don't want it telling me things unless I ask it something first. I don't want a popup that says, 'YOU SHOULD UPDATE'. ever. Even if I'm in the software, I don't want to see it at all. I don't want to hear about other products or offers. I don't want to hear about the new version. I don't want to hear about anything, at all, ever, ever, ever. Back in the day, there was a time when mouse software was the most annoying thing second only maybe to 'YOU HAVE UNUSED ICONS ON YOUR DESKTOP...' It's great if there is an option to check for updates in the software, but again, anything information that's I didn't ask for is not cool, and a single offense in that department would make me immediately reach for the 'uninstall' button.

Beyond that, I can honestly deal with the software being 'flashy' and 'shiny', although I'd certainly prefer 'functional and simple'. But 1 pop up for anything ever, even if it's 'you successfully installed LGS' is poo poo. Completely and utterly silent, or bust.
As far as I know you have to manually check for updates with LGS. It was one of the design principles I put forward when we started it off. Did that change with 8.50?

Trisk posted:

Will you ever sell replacement feet for your mice? :(
I really hope so.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Looks like the G602 will be available in Australia from the first of November for $92. It's a tad more than I wanted to spend but at this stage I think I'm going to pull the trigger and buy one.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
While on the subject of LGS, I'd love it if LGS stopped doing that single key macro thing. Complete pain in the arse to set up and maintain. Just allow me to click on a key and set that to a keypress (I'm referring to G13 here, but I would imagine it's just as annoying for G600/602).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
More on G700 and battery life: I think a lot of the bad rap the mouse gets for this is actually from the display being pretty inaccurate. It's like the inverse of cell phone battery displays that stay at full forever and then instantly drop to zero -- it goes really quickly from three to one, then hangs there for quite a while before giving out. I'd almost think that the voltage sensor was still calibrated for 1.5v alkalines instead of 1.2v nimhs.

Also, the battery they ship with is a Sanyo Eneloop. A quality battery, but low self-discharge nimh has way less capacity and the LSD feature doesn't really do much good for this mouse. I swapped it for a 2700mAh powerex (vs the 1900mAh eneloop) and got improved life.

I use the "power saver" mode and 125hz sampling for normal windows stuff; if I don't play games for a few days and remember to turn it off at night, I can go 4 or 5 days on a charge. My previous mouse was a Logitech MX620 that could go for a month between swaps, so the change was a bit of a shock. But that also used 2 batteries instead of one, so it was heavier. The g700 is unquestionably short compared to many wireless mice, but with the charge cable right there I really don't think it's a huge deal. If you can remember to plug it in every other night it isn't a problem.

On LGS software: Personally I think it's the bees knees, way better than Setpoint. But if you hate it, the mouse can use on-board profiles instead. So you can use the software one time to set stuff up and then never touch it again.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Goo posted:

As far as I know you have to manually check for updates with LGS. It was one of the design principles I put forward when we started it off. Did that change with 8.50?

No idea. I Still don't use software for mice. That said, I'm now curious and will throw LGS on my computer at home after work today for *science*.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Klyith posted:

More on G700 and battery life: I think a lot of the bad rap the mouse gets for this is actually from the display being pretty inaccurate. It's like the inverse of cell phone battery displays that stay at full forever and then instantly drop to zero -- it goes really quickly from three to one, then hangs there for quite a while before giving out. I'd almost think that the voltage sensor was still calibrated for 1.5v alkalines instead of 1.2v nimhs.
No, it's because the curve of the voltage drop as a NiMH battery discharges is very steep after you get past about 80% capacity. LiIon has much more accurate discharge tracking capability at the expense of higher cost and lack of aftermarket replacement capability.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

No idea. I Still don't use software for mice. That said, I'm now curious and will throw LGS on my computer at home after work today for *science*.
At the end of the install it will give you the option to install some third-party stuff, so that may make you mad. Other than that the only things it does "automatically" is scan your system for installed games so it can set up profiles the first time you run it, and tell you when your batteries are at 20% or less (which can be disabled in Settings).

Betjeman posted:

While on the subject of LGS, I'd love it if LGS stopped doing that single key macro thing. Complete pain in the arse to set up and maintain. Just allow me to click on a key and set that to a keypress (I'm referring to G13 here, but I would imagine it's just as annoying for G600/602).
I can suggest that.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I just found this infographic on an imageboard. Aware of the fact that 90% of players won't ever notice the kind of behaviours outlined in the picture, can Goo or another professional comment on the part at the very bottom where it claims tracking issues with the ADNS-9500 sensor, due to the self-adjusting frame rate feature?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

I just found this infographic on an imageboard. Aware of the fact that 90% of players won't ever notice the kind of behaviours outlined in the picture, can Goo or another professional comment on the part at the very bottom where it claims tracking issues with the ADNS-9500 sensor, due to the self-adjusting frame rate feature?

Most pro gamers will tell you that Laser sensors are marketing bullshit, and a mouse has to have an optical sensor to be acceptable. (that being said the naos 3200 is optical and I had no idea about the angle snapping issues.)

The logitech G602 is optical however, so it may very well be added to the good tier. It is as far as I know the only gaming grade optical mouse that is also wireless.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are we really now taking advice from a giant spergy wallposter that some "pro" gamer made in MS Paint and which makes almost no sense anyway?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
The paint part isn't as offensive as a JPEG saved in paint full of text.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

When they reference, and link, sensor models and product IDs associated with specific revisions or firmwares? Why, yes, I do proceed to assume that they must have spent a lot more time sperging researching mice than I have, and that their concerns are worth investigating.

(e: also the original file was PNG. The JPG is due to Imgur. :eng101:)

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 9, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NihilCredo posted:

When they reference, and link, sensor models and product IDs associated with specific revisions or firmwares? Why, yes, I do proceed to assume that they have spent more time sperging researching mice than I have, and that their concerns are worth investigating.
Are you a professional gamer who earns a living playing video games? Are you a gullible gamer who thinks buying a different mouse will catapult you to the top of all leaderboards? If so, then yes you should investigate their concerns.

(Though I will note if you are a professional gamer who earns a living playing video games, you will probably not have a choice in the matter as they all get sponsored by various gamer gear companies and have to use their product. Funny how all the pro guys sponsored by Steelseries don't suddenly suck because they aren't using a GOD TIER mouse.)

I have a cat. The way pretty much all optical mice these days are constructed, they can get a cat hair caught in the recess where the sensor is. When that happens it messes up the tracking and OH MY GOD MY KILLSTREAK gently caress YOU CAT. Gotta send my cat off to the shelter to get the big needle, can't have anything loving up my leet gaming skillz.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Klyith posted:

I have a cat. The way pretty much all optical mice these days are constructed, they can get a cat hair caught in the recess where the sensor is. When that happens it messes up the tracking and OH MY GOD MY KILLSTREAK gently caress YOU CAT. Gotta send my cat off to the shelter to get the big needle, can't have anything loving up my leet gaming skillz.

That's a little drastic there dude. You can always just shave your cat.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Not sure how anyone is surprised by anything in a 4chan mouse infographic.

If you feel like you are sensitive to mouse movement/might care about the inferior characteristics of laser mice, the only way to figure out if this poo poo matters to you is to try a mouse with the Avago 3090 sensor (for instance) back to back with one that has the ADNS9500. Just see which one you like more. I can't stand laser mice personally but there are tons of people who will never care

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The Lord Bude posted:

That's a little drastic there dude. You can always just shave your cat.

You would think this would help.

I have a G600, but I still think about going back to/picking up a MX518/G400s at times.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

That picture's a bunch of worthless garbage. Use a mouse that has features you like and a shape that you find comfortable. Lasers are a little bit more sensitive than necessary when it comes to very fine movements and require more cleaning to maintain accurate tracking, and optical sensors are probably better in that regard, but the rest of that is just so much garbage I can't even believe someone took the time to put it together.

I don't even mind the upkeep associated with high DPI laser sensors, personally, just have some q-tips on hand and you'll be able to clean it any time and the sensor is reliable as heck. That also does a poor job of explaining things like switch quality in buttons or actuation pressure or any of the other factors that go into making you like your mouse over other mice.

But if you want to ignore your preferences and reshape them to fit some 4chan dude's big idea of which mice are worth a poo poo, be my guest, you're not spending money out of my wallet so it's not really my business. I gotta :laffo: at "God Tier" though, that's just silly as poo poo. THE HAND OF GOD, THE MOUSE OF GOD! KISS THE SCROLL WHEEL!

Edit: Yes, laser mice sensors tend to have some very small % of acceleration as a consequence of their design. No, this does not make you suck at games. Nor does using an optical sensor with fractional, lower acceleration make you win at games. The whole concept seems based around selling an in-development product, while marketing the notion that the features it will have are the features you need.

It'd still be cool if someone made a modern version of the Intellimouse Explorer 3 though, that thing rocked.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 9, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That is not a good guide, it's full of trash and misinformation. THE RAZER GOD TIER

TheQat posted:

If you feel like you are sensitive to mouse movement/might care about the inferior characteristics of laser mice, the only way to figure out if this poo poo matters to you is to try a mouse with the Avago 3090 sensor (for instance) back to back with one that has the ADNS9500. Just see which one you like more. I can't stand laser mice personally but there are tons of people who will never care
This is a good rule of thumb. If you can perceive the prediction-free smooth ride of a 3090, you'd want a ~premium mouse~. If not, do whatevs. Logitech warranty still rules.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 9, 2013

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrJkowsiar4

This is a 1v1 deathmatch competition in Quake 2 from 1998. Somehow I don't think these guys were hurting for a better mouse.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not saying that all mice might as well be the same, but picking one that feels good in your hand and has the features you want is going to matter a lot more than whatever sensor it uses, especially when these players were probably still using ball mice.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 9, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
His argument seemed to be based around wanting to "learn to aim". The problem with that is anybody who can aim well enough to need the difference between laser and optical is being paid to win and no longer needs other people telling them what mice are best.

If you can't aim, well, having one or the other won't offer a lick of help. You have actual skill to worry about before getting to the point where what kind of mouse you have matters and, just like 404 said, in the end it doesn't even matter.

To 404: You picked a hilarious example, these guys are pulling so many rookie mistakes that were long gone by quake 3/UT era. Thanks for linking it, it's a great blast from the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

For what it's worth, my reasoning is more "When I started playing multiplayer FPSs again about a year ago, learning about mouse acceleration and turning it off made it a lot easier for me to accurately headshot moving targets. If there is really still some amount of acceleration left due to the use of a particular sensor, it may also be worth it to learn about it and about how to avoid it or disable it."

On a separate note, I'm also curious about why laser sensors would have an inherent acceleration "as part of their design", as Agreed claims. Don't they work in exactly the same basic way as optical LED sensors, only using infrared frequencies rather than human-visible ones to illuminate the surface and make it visible to the CCD? Why would that lead to an acceleration effect?