Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

webmeister posted:

I actually find the motion smoothing stuff works OK for games :shrug:

The biggest problem with the motion smoothing stuff is the amount of input lag it causes -- your TV can't even begin to draw frame 1 until it's already received frame 2 and generated the in-between frame. You can typically see input lag more than double, up in in the hundreds of milliseconds vs 30-40 for game mode.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Answers Me posted:

At what point are you able to do the epsilon missions? Do they come in after the main story has finished or have I missed them somehow?

I have to think there's some thing that directs you to the website that I missed. They emailed Franklin out of the blue who cannot do their missions. They're on talk radio as well.

After I started the missions I got a blue dot encounter with a follower in LS as Michael. He just congratulates you. I wonder if I had triggered that earlier it would have been different dialogue about taking the test.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I have to think there's some thing that directs you to the website that I missed. They emailed Franklin out of the blue who cannot do their missions. They're on talk radio as well.

That's a different thing. There's a completely separate cult that emails Franklin, and a completely different reward for him for doing it.

Michael will also get an email or text at some point taking him to the website, but you can just search for Epsilon and do it yourself at any point as him, and the mission will pop up when it's ready.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, I randomly heard about it on the Internet and ended up doing it a little bit after Trevor becomes playable. Not sure if that's the earliest you can do it or not.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Where can I reliably find a helicopter as Franklin? I want to meet the dude on top of the maze bank tower but can't find one at the airport or airfield :(

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

teacup posted:

Where can I reliably find a helicopter as Franklin? I want to meet the dude on top of the maze bank tower but can't find one at the airport or airfield :(

Check the roof of the hospital near the Vanilla Unicorn strip club safehouse.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Anyone else have an issue with the camera when you're driving?

I feel like it's too low so that the car I'm in obstructs to view ahead of me - especially when driving uphill. Pushing 'Select' will make the camera go farther back but the angle issue is still there. When I push the right analog stick up just a few inches it's perfect, but as soon as I start driving the camera goes back to default unless I hold the analog stick, which is pretty difficult.

Is there any way to lock in the camera view that I like so I don't have to hold the stick?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

^^^ in Settings somewhere there is an option for Camera Height, it is default to Low and should be at High. Makes a world of difference.

teacup posted:

N.O.O.S.E. headquarters (in the hills north-east of Los Santos) always has a Buzzard that's really easy to get to and get away with.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

teacup posted:

You can jack the helicopters for the sky diving missions. It's like the cabs, press Y to get in, hold Y to jack.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pocket Billiards posted:

You can jack the helicopters for the sky diving missions. It's like the cabs, press Y to get in, hold Y to jack.
Oh, and here I kept shooting the poor pilot :(

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Only Michael has expensive properties and they cost 1/10 of the money cap

Yeah it's not that big of a deal since the properties are worthless anyway, but it's definitely an oversight when the most expensive properties are only an order of magnitude less than the money cap, and the only way to reach that point is to use the stock market to increase your money exponentially. By time you can afford the expensive properties you're only a few stock trades away from overflowing the variable.

I think they must have shifted normal money making things to online late in development because the thing with only making money on like 3 missions in the entire game and then having to use the clunky stock trading interface for the rest is really weird.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space

Chard posted:

^^^ in Settings somewhere there is an option for Camera Height, it is default to Low and should be at High. Makes a world of difference.

yes! thank you! 100% better.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:siren: Heads up: Version 1.03 patch is out now (on PS3 at least). 39MB. No patch notes yet, but users who have already updated have mentioned that it disables R2/RT mission replay after completing a mission in GTA:Online. :siren:

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:siren: Heads up: Version 1.03 patch is out now (on PS3 at least). 39MB. No patch notes yet, but users who have already updated have mentioned that it disables R2/RT mission replay after completing a mission in GTA:Online. :siren:

Holy poo poo that's the dumbest thing.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Baron FU posted:

Or it encourages users to try different missions in stead of only grinding the ~optimal mission time/XP reward ratio~

Anyway, haven't tried online yet. Still haven't finished the main story, keep getting distracted. Right now I have to steal (minor middle game spoiler) certain cars for Devin. Is there a way to save them? I doubt I'll ever see a Z-type again in game.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to get Gearbox vibes from their multiplayer updates...

beedeebee posted:

Anyway, haven't tried online yet. Still haven't finished the main story, keep getting distracted. Right now I have to steal (minor middle game spoiler) certain cars for Devin. Is there a way to save them? I doubt I'll ever see a Z-type again in game.
You can't save them, no. But you can order them from your phone, the Z-type goes for 10 million and the "Aston Martin" comes without the gimmicks.

orcane fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 9, 2013

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

beedeebee posted:

Or it encourages users to try different missions in stead of only grinding the ~optimal mission time/XP reward ratio~

Except now it takes like (at least)2 minutes between missions, just staring at loading screens being bored.

Why not just make the actual missions part of that random 6 it presents?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Chard posted:

People should be aware that this setting can be pretty annoying when you are driving through tunnels or under overpasses, as the POV will often swing down to a worse position than the default Low setting. I have to keep a thumb on the look button when going through tunnels, and since the view distance is further back (and thus higher) on larger vehicles, driving down the highway can be annoying because your POV is dodging signs and overpasses so often.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Zedicus Mann posted:

Except Brad's dead. He's buried in the grave marked "Michael Townley"
That's a major plot twist spoiler too, if you didn't play the story.

It's not major at all. It's revealed as soon as you meet Dave Norton.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Man they really mad this game hard to have fun in. Every time I try something interesting the game ruins it. Want to derail a train? Nope. Want to steal a 747? 3 star wanted level for entering the airport and the plane explodes if it slightly touches anything. Want to have a car chase against the cops? Get sniped from a mile away by a guy in a helicopter while driving 100mph down a highway.

I just wish there was a San Andreas fun-time mode.

If you buy the hanger you don't get the wanted level for entering the airport. It's not a lot of money either, I think it's about 1.2m or so. I also learned that you can run over the cop cars with the 747, that just makes the whole exploding thing worthwhile.

I just wish you could invite your friends into a storymode private session or whatever so you could have fun with all your high-end cars or that at least they didn't disappear forever when you leave them or they explode. I don't like having to spend about 1.4m to re-buy and re-upgrade my classic cars. I'm also fairly upset that they decommissioned the Aston Martin.

Baron FU posted:

Considering that they're now telling users not to press 'x' or 'square' when retrying to connect to servers as it tell you to because that fucks your GTA:O account up...

FallinInTheBlak fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 9, 2013

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Pocket Billiards posted:

After I started the missions I got a blue dot encounter with a follower in LS as Michael. He just congratulates you. I wonder if I had triggered that earlier it would have been different dialogue about taking the test.

Is that the one with the Irish guy who wants you to call him a wankjob?

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Is anyone else having problems with the stock market after Lester's first mission for Franklin?

I did it the first time around without reading anything in advance and once I realized the Betta Pharmaceuticals stock goes up 80% I reloaded an old save file and made sure to buy stock on all three characters instead of just Franklin. I passed the mission 100% the exact same way as before but now Betta has only gone up 4% over maybe 10+ in game days, while the competitor who should be dropping is up 17%.

The news headlines and all that even say "BET skyrocketing" etc except it's barely moved at all.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Does the Altruist cult reset?

I delivered enough hitchhikers for them to bring me in, killed them all, and now after the end-game they're showing up again as an option for Trevor. Killing them was somewhat profitable, curious if I'd get to do that over again.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Soooo is my game hosed? It hangs up on the loading screen, and doesn't fade between character drawings. I've tried:

- installing disc to HD, copies fine, using HD and USB to play
- moving install data from USB stick to HD, using disc and HD
- deleting and reinstalling install data to USB
- playing a different game on my Xbox, works fine

What else should I do? I figure my last two options are delete my auto save file (?). I don't know though because I feel like that wouldn't hang it up.

Tonight in going to try deleting the patch update and playing. Then I guess last resort is get a new disc from Best Buy.

Fuccckkkk I just want to check my stocks and make a backup cashed out save.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Niven posted:

Is anyone else having problems with the stock market after Lester's first mission for Franklin?

I did it the first time around without reading anything in advance and once I realized the Betta Pharmaceuticals stock goes up 80% I reloaded an old save file and made sure to buy stock on all three characters instead of just Franklin. I passed the mission 100% the exact same way as before but now Betta has only gone up 4% over maybe 10+ in game days, while the competitor who should be dropping is up 17%.

The news headlines and all that even say "BET skyrocketing" etc except it's barely moved at all.

Reloading decreases the max stock return significantly. Don't do it.

I think it usually goes 80%/50%/25% for each subsequent reload or something like that.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

Reloading decreases the max stock return significantly. Don't do it.

I think it usually goes 80%/50%/25% for each subsequent reload or something like that.
He loaded from before the mission which should trigger the stock market changes (or BAWSAQ override) anew.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The new patch is stupid. Giving us the ability to redo a mission is now considered an exploit. What?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CVagts posted:

What are the best helicopter/plane for bridge flying and knife flights? I have more than enough money if it requires buying the plane/helicopter.

The stunt plane is the best for knife flights. For under the bridges, I used a Buzzard. Some of the openings you have to fly through are pretty low/narrow, so you want a small helicopter. Speaking of which, if you rub the bridge/ground/water/sides with the vehicle, you may fail even if you make it under. Try again till you get a clean pass rather than assuming that you’ve already flown under that particular bridge and don‘t remember it.

There was one bridge I could only do in a plane. Specifically, one of the Elysian Island lift bridges.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 9, 2013

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

The new patch is stupid. Giving us the ability to redo a mission is now considered an exploit. What?

You're kidding right? Guess I won't be going back to gold each mission after I'm done with my first playthrough.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

bradzilla posted:

You're kidding right? Guess I won't be going back to gold each mission after I'm done with my first playthrough.
Online missions, not single-player.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

But... I liked re-doing the same missions if they were fun. :confused:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Some of the vehicle inspirations on igta5.com seem off. For instance the Carbonizzare makes me think of the Ferrari 599 more than a Nissan GT-R. Not the fastest ride, but one of my favorites.

I was kind of bummed to find after buying the customs shop you don't free upgrades from all the locations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
So did Rockstar nerf the stock market at some point? There's all the videos of just sleeping and waiting for good prices but now the stock market "never" moves in Story Mode, and I've gone to the bed (I don't save and time still goes forward) and...same prices after at least 10 times. I wanted to start a new game and go through with a finer approach. Also I tried looking at the drug shootout/weed farms but they're not available yet at the point I'm at. I have saved too to see if that was the difference but nope :shrug:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lunethex posted:

So did Rockstar nerf the stock market at some point? There's all the videos of just sleeping and waiting for good prices but now the stock market "never" moves in Story Mode, and I've gone to the bed (I don't save and time still goes forward) and...same prices after at least 10 times. I wanted to start a new game and go through with a finer approach. Also I tried looking at the drug shootout/weed farms but they're not available yet at the point I'm at. I have saved too to see if that was the difference but nope :shrug:
The LCN (?) stock market is worthless aside from the Assassination missions with stock tips from Lester. Don't use that one for general investing because the stocks barely move an inch up or down by themselves. Use BAWSAQ and invest in PIS while it's still going up (or do the assassinations by following an investing guide).

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Are PIS and HAL still good stocks? I was doing quite well with them for a while but sold everything when I started doing the Lester missions. Are they worth picking back up, or is there something else I can get in on the ground floor on?

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
I just spent three hours getting a cow in a pool with a forklift and running around the world just taking pictures with the cellphone.

This game is amazing, I'm 60+ hours in and I feel I've just scratched the surface.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

Are PIS and HAL still good stocks? I was doing quite well with them for a while but sold everything when I started doing the Lester missions. Are they worth picking back up, or is there something else I can get in on the ground floor on?

Signs still point to them going up. No one can know when they'll crash, maybe PIS will end up getting back to around $150, which would be insane.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Some of these jumps, fellows. That one at the docks, where you jump onto the warehouse roof? Yeah, excuse my language but sod that for a game of soldiers. You may be laughing Rockstar, but you gave me an out this time!

I was struggling to decide which has the worst jumps, this or Vice City. I think this one takes the cake, at least Vice City often gave you it if you at least hit the target.

And I've encountered the bug where the radio stops working. :(

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

KoRMaK posted:

But... I liked re-doing the same missions if they were fun. :confused:

Buried in the whining about this was the fact that sometimes people were getting trapped into repeating missions without the proper opportunity to quit ever coming up. I'd expect further tweaks to online mission replay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Some of these jumps, fellows. That one at the docks, where you jump onto the warehouse roof? Yeah, excuse my language but sod that for a game of soldiers. You may be laughing Rockstar, but you gave me an out this time!

I was struggling to decide which has the worst jumps, this or Vice City. I think this one takes the cake, at least Vice City often gave you it if you at least hit the target.

And I've encountered the bug where the radio stops working. :(

Wait, what are you talking about? Those quarter pipe jumps at the airport are amazing, I jumped onto the roof of a 5 story carpark :haw:

• Locked thread