Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Hamburger Test posted:

E:
Where are all the EU players, Excalibur? I'm in the main FC on Midgard and I have basically stopped logging on. Barely anyone of the handful or so that are online during the evenings my time talk, and I've had to DF 95% of the game.
We are on Excalibur, yes. Why use an (EU) server we when they are in the same data center anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

ilifinicus posted:

We are on Excalibur, yes. Why use an (EU) server we when they are in the same data center anyway?

Midgard is an NA server, it was the only open server with an active goon presence when I created the character - and there was some activity in the weekends.

fake_roogle
Jun 20, 2008

Quinquereme posted:

Anyone on JP servers? Since we can transfer soon it would be cool to join up. I'm on Tonberry :)
I'm on Tonberry, rerolled because my ping from China to East Coast made it really tough to play. Hit me up if you need a tank for story mode stuff or tokens, Defcon One.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Kaedric posted:

Mother of gently caress the RNG just kicked my rear end.

24% chance to meld a materia, it took 19 tries to meld the loving thing:

that's ~(1/4)^19 chance, or 1 in 274,877,906,944. Yeah... pretty sure the success rate displayed isn't accurate.

Tiramisu posted:

It's actually (.24)*(.76)^18 = .17% or about 2 in a thousand. Not that unlikely.

Also you have to consider the entire group of people melding. Considering there are thousands of players melding tons of items, there's a very good chance that one of them will experience the failure rate described. It would actually be very unusual if no one had that sort of failure rate.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
One thing I took away from TERA is that probability in this kind of stuff in video games deserves an increasing chance the more you fail, it only takes a player hitting that kind of RNG once to quit the game. There was a 3.33% item that I took 150-180 times to succeed with, and the item was pretty costly and my only progression point I could focus at the time so I just up and quit for months.

Virgil
Jun 15, 2003

TT: Will I be blinded by the fearsome lashes of light ribboning from the incandescent coastline of his beauteous aura?

fake_roogle posted:

I'm on Tonberry, rerolled because my ping from China to East Coast made it really tough to play. Hit me up if you need a tank for story mode stuff or tokens, Defcon One.

Hey Tonberry folks, I'm playing there too, as Jolly Cooperation. Mostly playing in a casual, friends FC but look for me if you need a tank as well. Trying to level a WHM or some DPS though, so maybe we'll all get to play together sometime!

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

walruscat posted:

Also you have to consider the entire group of people melding. Considering there are thousands of players melding tons of items, there's a very good chance that one of them will experience the failure rate described. It would actually be very unusual if no one had that sort of failure rate.

He took it for the team.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Holy gently caress. I'm really loving conjurer healing. I'm only level 20 and have only run the first three instances... but it feels so good. It feels like holy paladin healing circa Burning Crusade.

Guys.... I... I think I'm in love.

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!

Mordiceius posted:

Holy gently caress. I'm really loving conjurer healing. I'm only level 20 and have only run the first three instances... but it feels so good. It feels like holy paladin healing circa Burning Crusade.

Yeah it's fun.

Unfortunately this game doesn't have dual specs so you will do your quests as a holy paladin too.

Hope you like Stone.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
I am kind of sad that the Paladin doesn't get some "Heal while hitting" ability. I mean I am a tank, but I have to take Conjurer to 15, but all the skills I get between 1-15 is a ST Heal, AoE Heal, Raise, and Protect. I don't really have any group supportive buffs to toss around either because every group is going to have an actual healer already that has Protect.

Somewhat disappoint in the class "theme" at the moment.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah funny enough the warrior is actually the class built around self healing. Paladin is just a classic sword and board tank.
I've heard Stoneskin is a useful cross class skill, but that requires taking whm to the high 30s.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Speaking of which, does anyone have a foolproof guide to tanking for someone who's never done it before? I'd like to try it, but fear of messing up is a big factor.

d3k0y posted:

I am kind of sad that the Paladin doesn't get some "Heal while hitting" ability. I mean I am a tank, but I have to take Conjurer to 15, but all the skills I get between 1-15 is a ST Heal, AoE Heal, Raise, and Protect. I don't really have any group supportive buffs to toss around either because every group is going to have an actual healer already that has Protect.

Paladins in Final Fantasy have ALWAYS been protection-heavy melee fighters with a few white magic spells. :eng101:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

notZaar posted:

I've heard Stoneskin is a useful cross class skill, but that requires taking whm to the high 30s.

Only if you don't have any White Mages in your party, and even then it's just an extra 10% HP before every fight. The White Mage trait is really needed to make it remotely worth using.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have a foolproof guide to tanking for someone who's never done it before? I'd like to try it, but fear of messing up is a big factor.

Bind mark 1 and mark 2 to keys

Face mobs away from the party

Use your cooldowns

Ranged attack -> flash/overpower x2 -> enmity rotation on primary target

Congratulations, you are now an amazing tank.

There's more, but that's all you need to get started.

sentrygun posted:

Only if you don't have any White Mages in your party, and even then it's just an extra 10% HP before every fight. The White Mage trait is really needed to make it remotely worth using.

Stoneskin is actually affected by mitigation, which makes it pretty cool all around. Very nice to have on you when a big boss hit comes in, since it stacks with any defensive cooldowns you have running.

I can't see many situations where you'd actually be hardcasting it as a pld tank in combat though.

VVVV: Well that definitely qualifies as many situations :v:

victrix fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 9, 2013

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

victrix posted:

Use your cooldowns

Stoneskin is actually affected by mitigation, which makes it pretty cool all around. Very nice to have on you when a big boss hit comes in, since it stacks with any defensive cooldowns you have running.

I can't see many situations where you'd actually be hardcasting it as a pld tank in combat though.

Turn 5 in coil before every death sentence.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So after a rather sour DF experience for Castrum last night trying to get my story done, I'm going to listen to both my leveling friend and people in FC and attempt to organize a full FC run for doing Praetorium to watch cutscenes. :( Other than one really super-nice Darklight scholar who explained the fights and told us where to go, Castrum was un-fun for the first time all the way through.

So if anyone on Excalibur is on late nights after 11pm EST and sees me begging in PBC (Kyomu Tyrena) please take pity on a giant nerdlinger who wants to enjoy the story where it's supposed to be instead of at the inn. I might even be convinced to heal terribly on Scholar, and my friend is a Monk, so that's 2/8 already! I promise you will still get your tomestones if it takes 20 extra minutes or whatever, and if you're new like us definitely come along! :)

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I played Conj up to 30 and unlocked WHM and loved the healing too, and then you get into the 30+ instances with 40,000 aoe's going off everywhere and constantly having to be moving and was like :smithicide:

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
Multi-target fights (cause DPS at level 15-30 doesn't know how to target the marked) I do exactly what the guy above said for the most part (I'm a GLD).

If the DPS isn't stupid: Shield Lob > Flash x2 > Enmity Rotation on Main / Flash every 3-4 rotations for Healer aggro. Flashing every so often helps keep your TP high. If you do the rotation slightly slow you can keep this up for a very long time.

If DPS is stupid: Shield Lob > Flash x2-3 > Riot Blade combo > Flash > Riot Blade combo > Flash. The mana regen and low relative TP cost can actually make your aggro endurance pretty insane.

Single Target is pretty much: Shield Lob > Savage Blade combo.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Don't worry, tanking can be great fun but there's obviously a lot more pressure and more weight to carry on your shoulders. But the big plus is you control the flow of the group, you get near to instant queue times, and you get dibs on all of the gear for your class!

Granted I've tanked before in one or two other MMOs, but I found this guide from Eorzea Reborn pretty decent explaining the basics of what a tank is and everything you need to know about. http://eorzeareborn.com/tanking-basics-communicatio/.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I can't actually put materia in gear until I get my crafting jobs leveled up? Ugh.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

So I can't actually put materia in gear until I get my crafting jobs leveled up? Ugh.

You can request a crafter do this for you, you keep all the items in your inventory for safe-keeping as well.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

victrix posted:

Use your cooldowns

Could you give me an example of an enmity rotation, then?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

d3k0y posted:

You can request a crafter do this for you, you keep all the items in your inventory for safe-keeping as well.

Still a pain in the rear end. Guess it's time to go level up weaver to 20.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lizard Wizard posted:

1 2 3 with 3 being Butcher's Block or Rage of Halone.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

It depends on your class, for Gladiator/Paladin it is probably: Fast Blade > Savage Blade > Rage of Halone (Shield Swipe when you can for damage)

For Marauder/Warrior: Heavy Swing > Skull Sunder > Butcher's Block (I'm not a Marauder, I am guessing here)

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

So after a rather sour DF experience for Castrum last night trying to get my story done, I'm going to listen to both my leveling friend and people in FC and attempt to organize a full FC run for doing Praetorium to watch cutscenes. :( Other than one really super-nice Darklight scholar who explained the fights and told us where to go, Castrum was un-fun for the first time all the way through.

So if anyone on Excalibur is on late nights after 11pm EST and sees me begging in PBC (Kyomu Tyrena) please take pity on a giant nerdlinger who wants to enjoy the story where it's supposed to be instead of at the inn. I might even be convinced to heal terribly on Scholar, and my friend is a Monk, so that's 2/8 already! I promise you will still get your tomestones if it takes 20 extra minutes or whatever, and if you're new like us definitely come along! :)

I'm not sure if I'll be on tonight, but if anyone ever wants a story friendly run through CM or Praetorium on Excalibur, hit up Fenra Golbis. I'm in DGKK. I'll run you through it on my PLD (or WHM if necessary). People who complain about cutscene watchers are jerks.

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008

d3k0y posted:

I use my heal really often as a tank; whenever there is big aoe coming where I know the whole group will take damage I help the healers top people off, or whenever one of the healers dies, I'll start spamming heals on myself and tell them to res while I burn my mana out. Cure on a PLD doesn't heal for much, but it'll usually buy the real healers enough time to throw a res if you spam it.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Pld shouldn't and can't really have good self heals. That's warriors thing.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013

Vire posted:

Pld shouldn't and can't really have good self heals. That's warriors thing.

I can live without self heals, I just was hoping for something unique and more than just situational.

Heck this is probably my biggest gripe about the whole game is just how same-same EVERYTHING feels.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

d3k0y posted:

It depends on your class, for Gladiator/Paladin it is probably: Fast Blade > Savage Blade > Rage of Halone (Shield Swipe when you can for damage)

For Marauder/Warrior: Heavy Swing > Skull Sunder > Butcher's Block (I'm not a Marauder, I am guessing here)

For Paladin:

Create a macro that uses Fight or Flight before Fast Blade. You can also add Shield Lob to the macro and it will use shield lob instead, if you are out of range for Fast Blade.

I typically use Fast Blade -> Savage Blade -> Spirits Within -> Rage of Halone, and shield swipe when I block for damage.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Mordiceius posted:

Still a pain in the rear end. Guess it's time to go level up weaver to 20.

Level needed for materia melding is based on the item level, not just getting the ability from a quest. If you want to remain entirely efficient for slotting materia you need to level the craft for your armor, your weapon, and goldsmithing for your jewelry slots.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

d3k0y posted:

I can live without self heals, I just was hoping for something unique and more than just situational.

Heck this is probably my biggest gripe about the whole game is just how same-same EVERYTHING feels.

My only real gripe about the paladin job is the comically short range on protect.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

d3k0y posted:

Boy there's a lot of Warriors right now who wish you were right about things being the same as Paladins (are you even over level 30?????)

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill
I think it's kind of crappy that Paladin has to level CNJ and gets to use CNJ abilities, but the only one that's useful is stoneskin and even that is rather situational due to the cast time. The only time I ever use stoneskin is on hardmode primals when the phases switch and the primals jump in the air/teleport and I have enough time for one cast.

The other options are crap: Cure heals for little since your gear has no Mind on it and it's cast time means you'll probably be interrupted anyway (also casting cure instead of attacking to raise enmity will probably end poorly), Protect is already being taken by every single healer, Raise doesn't work in combat so it's only useful to bring people back up if you survive a wipe and can cast raise before your healer swiftcasts it.

I love my Paladin and I understand that the conjurer crossclass is likely for flavour, but I would have preferred if we got cross class skills that were useful for our job.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

d3k0y posted:

Agreed, the classes are a little lacking. In 1.0 seeing my only options were "pugilist" or "gladiator" made me want to quit immediately. Lancer was the only decently cool one with real final fantasy flavor, and very little at that. ARR made it more clear how your class leads to the jobs, and the jobs have more flavor, so its a start, but there's a long way to go.

Classes in EQ, WoW, or XI felt much cooler, more individual, more flavored. In XI you had way more magic, more spells. Even warriors had more weapon skills, and multiple weapons to choose from. XIV is more newbie friendly but sadly kinda lacks some of that depth.

I especially love hybrid magic/melee classes, so XIV hurts me bad. The rest of the game is so slick and fun though I can ignore it and just have a good time, but I'd kill for a proper holy knight or dark knight or red mage class.

Adding an extra job to pick from for every class would go a long way. They need to patch in new jobs asap. It'd also help alleviate the issues with the duty finder as well.

Considering how few abilities you get from your job, it wouldn't really be THAT much work (more work than balance fixes or patches, but less work than a new dungeon)

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Zaphod42 posted:

Agreed, the classes are a little lacking. In 1.0 seeing my only options were "pugilist" or "gladiator" made me want to quit immediately. Lancer was the only decently cool one with real final fantasy flavor, and very little at that. ARR made it more clear how your class leads to the jobs, and the jobs have more flavor, so its a start, but there's a long way to go.

Classes in EQ, WoW, or XI felt much cooler, more individual, more flavored. In XI you had way more magic, more spells. Even warriors had more weapon skills, and multiple weapons to choose from. XIV is more newbie friendly but sadly kinda lacks some of that depth.

I especially love hybrid magic/melee classes, so XIV hurts me bad. The rest of the game is so slick and fun though I can ignore it and just have a good time, but I'd kill for a proper holy knight or dark knight or red mage class.

Adding an extra job to pick from for every class would go a long way. They need to patch in new jobs asap. It'd also help alleviate the issues with the duty finder as well.

Considering how few abilities you get from your job, it wouldn't really be THAT much work (more work than balance fixes or patches, but less work than a new dungeon)

Adding jobs might be slightly trickier than just the 5 new abilities, since they'll also need to make, say, the Conjurer a viable DPSer without also overpowering the healing part of the class. (both magic dps classes currently have ways to regenerate lots of MP, and a conjurer with one of those methods would be significantly more powerful, even without whm abilties, if the conjurer healing spells were left unnerfed.)

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

victrix posted:

Another edge case is Titan hard mode. It helps mitigation a ton if a paladin tank can take a moment to cast it on one of the softer caster targets while Titan's casting Landslide and not attacking.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
People even haven't fully figured out the current jobs. There's no reason to rush out new job stones. What we need right now are tweaks to classes (including better debuff monitoring) and more content to keep us busy.

I mean as fun as it is for Warriors to be able to use every weapon ever even if only two types were legit usable I don't think throwing a bunch of useless flavour skills is what the game needs. In fact Warrior has a bunch of useless flavour skills already. Instead of adding more they should buff them to be worthwhile (looking at you Steel Cyclone and Storm's Path).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I can't find any good use for Storm's Path, but Steel Cyclone owns for speed clearing dungeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Endings posted:

Adding jobs might be slightly trickier than just the 5 new abilities, since they'll also need to make, say, the Conjurer a viable DPSer without also overpowering the healing part of the class. (both magic dps classes currently have ways to regenerate lots of MP, and a conjurer with one of those methods would be significantly more powerful, even without whm abilties, if the conjurer healing spells were left unnerfed.)

A DPS Conjurer job would almost certainly use Cleric Stance, which totals out to making your heals something like half as effective and only gets worse as you level and increase the disparity between your INT and MND.

• Locked thread