Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Kind of disappointed that you don't have the Dakotas or Virginias split for a "No True Scotsman" CB. I suppose you can still do that with the Carolinas. With interlocking alliances in place, it could kick off a pretty huge war.

Also realizing now that you'll probably have to seed the militaries of each state if you want them to actually build them in a reasonable amount of time. Day 2 is going to slam the world market with unit resources and it'll take ages for those supplies to actually trickle down to these low prestige nations. They'll need a helping hand or it'll all just fall apart.

YF-23 posted:

In a similar vein of rivalry, Colorado and Wyoming should have permanent "Assert HegemonyRectangularity" CBs on each other.
I think Assert Rectangularity would be applicable to Deseret, New Mexico, and Nevada. Like Colorado and Wyoming could get Rectangularists in power that would have CBs on all states that are not quite rectangles. Destroy the pretenders.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Kind of disappointed that you don't have the Dakotas or Virginias split for a "No True Scotsman" CB. I suppose you can still do that with the Carolinas. With interlocking alliances in place, it could kick off a pretty huge war.

Also realizing now that you'll probably have to seed the militaries of each state if you want them to actually build them in a reasonable amount of time. Day 2 is going to slam the world market with unit resources and it'll take ages for those supplies to actually trickle down to these low prestige nations. They'll need a helping hand or it'll all just fall apart.

I think Assert Rectangularity would be applicable to Deseret, New Mexico, and Nevada. Like Colorado and Wyoming could get Rectangularists in power that would have CBs on all states that are not quite rectangles. Destroy the pretenders.

Rectangularist radicals declare Western Massachusetts independent from Greater Boston and Cape Cod!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Michigan is rectangularist-proof. Just try and pull something, I'd like to see them try.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Michigan is rectangularist-proof. Just try and pull something, I'd like to see them try.

After the rectangle revolution, Michiganders will indicate where they live by pointing to their balled fist.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Alright, I just did a twenty-year game to see how things went. This is the map at the start of the game:

I was playing as Maine and things kicked off nicely. Wars began waging in the Eastern states:

A few big powers started to emerge: Virginia, which ate up West Virginia, Nickajack, and North Carolina. Georgia, which gobbled up the south. And Ohio, which went full-on Communist and then went head-to-head with Virginia, resulting in a decade-long war that didn't end up anywhere.

Pan-Americans occupied the entirety of the New England states, which limited our ability to do... well.. anything. Eventually I released New England (the nation) from Maine and used it to form a small army to take back my land. In the process I grabbed a couple of other states around me.

Here is the game near the end of the test:

You'll notice that Ohio took back West Virginia, which really broke the Virginia Empire's back and lost a lot of its allies. The State of Empire was poised to do more early on, but Pan-Americans were just too numerous and defeated their armies.

I was hoping for more action in the west, but things were pretty calm. Even Mexico didn't bother to invade anyone.

The biggest annoyance were the amount of nations going bankrupt. Not sure what to do about this problem.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
You're going to have to kickstart the states. They're remaining static because they don't have a military, don't have an economic base, and don't have the POPs available to do either. Give them more peoples and maybe some light industrialization, and try to give them a couple regiments and maybe a light ship at the start of the game. Since you're basing it off of the 1861 start there'll be some actual white people in the West, but not enough to make a difference. If you want rivalries you have to manually set their relations in the history files. If you want alliances, you have to set them to be allied. Wars are unlikely to even happen in a carte blanche scenario, especially when nations are too poor to even build regiments or find enough people to fill one.

*e*
You could probably give the remainder of British Canada to the Hudson Bay Company. Also maybe have an event where Mexico can claim all of the territory its lost over the years. Especially if Mexico goes fascist.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 10, 2013

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EvW's Dev Diary on Espionage is up. Still too much focus on wartime functions, but you can create double agents, which sounds awesome.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Texas should have claims for Eastern New Mexico at least.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
A lot of those features would be nice to have in the next HoI. I always felt that in HoI 3 especially espionage was really not as useful as it was historically, and because it's so focused on wartime anyway it would fit right into the timeframe you normally see in HoI.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Don Gato posted:

A lot of those features would be nice to have in the next HoI. I always felt that in HoI 3 especially espionage was really not as useful as it was historically, and because it's so focused on wartime anyway it would fit right into the timeframe you normally see in HoI.

That's an excellent point. We may yet see some of EvW's features put to good use.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Don Gato posted:

:colbert: During my game as Axis Poland in HoI3 I managed to coup Republican Spain, France, Greece, and the UK. Not a giant list but that plus goading France into declaring WWII on Germany gave the Axis quite the advantage in my game's world.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Do nations have some kind of Distance modifier for Immigration?
I'm trying to figure out why I'm not getting any Immigrants as Argentina while Texas and Mexico are.

I'm a HM Government (I got to be a Democracy and cheated to form a Constitutional Monarchy cause they got a cool flag :3:).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PrinceRandom posted:

Do nations have some kind of Distance modifier for Immigration?
I'm trying to figure out why I'm not getting any Immigrants as Argentina while Texas and Mexico are.

I'm a HM Government (I got to be a Democracy and cheated to form a Constitutional Monarchy cause they got a cool flag :3:).

No, but job availability, government type and reforms make a difference. Constitutional Monarchies get a bit, but democracies are ultimately more attractive. So if you start building factories they will come. You have good resources to start canned food and lumber/furniture factories, so use those as a base. If you can colonize East Africa or invade Madagascar before it is sphered by France, you will have all the coal you will need for your industrial base, since that resource is sorely lacking in South America.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, despite all evidence saying I shouldn't I bought a copy of Supreme Ruler: Cold War. I have only one thing to say: East Vs. West can't be as bad as the miserable experience I just had.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

So, despite all evidence saying I shouldn't I bought a copy of Supreme Ruler: Cold War. I have only one thing to say: East Vs. West can't be as bad as the miserable experience I just had.

I hear ya buddy. :smith: Priorities and bad system aside, I will at least know what the gently caress I'm doing in East vs. West.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
What files should I look into if I want to change up the unit models and skins in V2? I'm modifying the game to go until 1945 or so and want to make it so that units will change to HoI3 skins/models in about 1930, while still keeping the WWI-era appearances and the post-1919 DLC (which I bought because I love Vicky and aesthetics too much :( ) intact.

edit: while I'm at it, what's the general opinion of the Svoboda i Rabstvo mod?

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 11, 2013

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Having trouble finding it searching online, but is there one specific tech that upgrades CAGs in HoI2 or are they upgraded with sequential fighter/naval bomber/interceptor research levels? Trying to plan out for a smaller nation who can't waste too much tech.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

synertia posted:

Having trouble finding it searching online, but is there one specific tech that upgrades CAGs in HoI2 or are they upgraded with sequential fighter/naval bomber/interceptor research levels? Trying to plan out for a smaller nation who can't waste too much tech.

CAGs are upgraded with Carrier techs, if the HoI2 tech tree in Darkest Hour is correct.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Kavak posted:

CAGs are upgraded with Carrier techs, if the HoI2 tech tree in Darkest Hour is correct.

Thanks, that makes things a lot easier, then.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Hurry up and announce something new, Paradox. I'm impatient and crave novelty. :mad:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Fintilgin posted:

Hurry up and announce something new, Paradox. I'm impatient and crave novelty. :mad:

99.9% sure its going to be HOI 4 next. No expansion for HOI 3 this year pretty much confirms they are working on it in my mind. :v:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

BillBear posted:

99.9% sure its going to be HOI 4 next. No expansion for HOI 3 this year pretty much confirms they are working on it in my mind. :v:

Considering how not fun HOI 3 was and how paradox has been handling their new games I can't wait for HOI 4.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

BillBear posted:

Way to kill my buzz, man. :negative:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

wargames posted:

Considering how not fun HOI 3 was and how paradox has been handling their new games I can't wait for HOI 4.

Paradox likes how HoI 3 turned out. :ssh:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lichtenstein posted:

Paradox likes how HoI 3 turned out. :ssh:

As does a large percentage of their public, if the several expansions suggest anything. It is mostly SA that has some very vocal people who are critical of it, primarily because of its state on release.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I don't know about you guys, but I played the game, and I don't think it is very good. The bugs are not the reason for game design choices I don't like.

Also, the map is an ugly grey smear.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Riso posted:

Also, the map is an ugly grey smear.

Stop playing Germany.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

ArchangeI posted:

Stop playing Germany.

HoI III's map does have a very dark, morbid feel to it. Guess it fits in with just how hosed up the war was.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

ArchangeI posted:

Stop playing Germany.

But, but! My heritage!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Riso posted:

But, but! My heritage!

Heritage not hate! :hitler:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

ZearothK posted:

As does a large percentage of their public, if the several expansions suggest anything. It is mostly SA that has some very vocal people who are critical of it, primarily because of its state on release.
I don't like it because it's flat and micro-intensive and the map is ridiculous, but I don't care about war-focused grand strategy games anyway so I'm not the target audience.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'd characterise my complaints (after all the ridiculous launch-day stuff like 'nobody has any techs in the June 1944 Scenario so the Allies instantly run out of supplies and die') as coming down to two broadly related related things:

1) The game doesn't know whether it wants to be a Grand Strategy game or a Wargame and in dipping its toes into both it ends up being not very good at either.
2) The game consists of a series of individually very impressive modules (trade, diplomacy, research, army structure) that just fail to fit together into a coherent system.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly the only thing I'm looking forward to is the fact if anyone ever plays Czechoslovakia they're going to run into having to play as me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't like HOI3's research system at all.

Splitting up tanks into gun/armor/engine parts sounds like a cool idea, but in practice you're never really going to research new parts ahead of time because there's too many things that need researching, so instead of Germans having tanks with bigger guns and less armor and British tanks with more speed and poor guns, it felt like it just came down to whether your tanks had all-1939 parts by 1939 or not.

Even Darkest Hour I felt did it better: Instead of breaking down units to individual parts, have Light Tanks, Medium Tanks, Heavy Tanks and Super-Heavy Tanks all have their own individual tech tree branches and introduce a new model every year or every other year, and then futz with the research speeds so that only the really good countries can keep more than a few tech trees up to date at any one time. That would probably do a better job of capturing the feeling of specialization and trade-offs from not being able to research everything at once.

Doctrines felt like a step back as well: Whereas they had a lot of personality/flavor between the different main belligerents in HOI2, HOI3's doctrines all had to be researched no matter who you were, and then it again came down to available leadership and juggling Theory levels if you could finish all the doctrines when you needed them.

Which finally brings me to the Theory/Practical system. Setting different base levels of this was supposed to give nations their flavor - Germany having strong Tank Theory/Practical levels and low Carrier Theory/Practical, but who wants to suss out all of that by looking at a bunch of bars and decimal places? HOI2's tech teams were a lot more intuitive in that regard: Germany didn't have anyone that was particularly good at researching Strategic Bombers, and Japan's Computer Tech guy was worse than Konrad Zuse, who himself was worse than Alan Turing.

===

EDIT: As for the ability to hand off the military, or very specific parts of the military, off to the AI, I felt it was a cool feature (once all the bugs were worked out) that was wasted on the wrong game. I really wanted to do that kind of thing in EU or Victoria because there's so much more than just the military aspect of the game that needs player attention, but telling the AI to play the military game for you in HOI is just skipping maybe 75% of the game (and yes, acknowledging that there are subtle layers such as only handing off partial control)

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 11, 2013

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I didn't like HOI3's research system at all.

You should see Iron Cross sometime, you might commit suicide.

But I love the ability to sit down in any HoI game and just watch the war hands off, I love seeing how it plays out each time and sometimes I poo poo my pants at what the AI is capable of at times. I have not touched HoI III in a while but every HoI game suffers from boring rear end pacific wars. :smith:

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Oh hey, strategy game wish chat. I'd like a new Vicky with useful tooltips, useable interface and good graphics. Lemme just check how old Vic

Wikipedia posted:

On 31 January 2013, Paradox announced its plans to release a new expansion pack, entitled Heart of Darkness which was released on 16 April 2013, it includes the following features:

Paradox. There are SNES era graphics in a game you updated last year six months ago whyyyyyyyy?

e: vvvv YOU SAW NOTHING! :doh:

Darth Various fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 11, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Darth Various posted:

Oh hey, strategy game wish chat. I'd like a new Vicky with useful tooltips, useable interface and good graphics. Lemme just check how old Vic

Paradox. There are SNES era graphics in a game you updated last year whyyyyyyyy?

Last year? Think you mean this year.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You're telling me! When I first installed Europa Universalis 3, I had a hard time believing it was really a game made in 2007! Heck, it looked like it came from 1997 when it came to the UI design and graphics.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

ZearothK posted:

It is mostly SA that has some very vocal people who are critical of it, primarily because of its state on release.

This is not true, and if it was you'd see a ton more LPs of it. The game is simply unfun and features a ton of broken ideas that can never be fixed such as the millions of provinces, the horrid research, and the lack of any real control over one's own politics in the game.

Edit: Referring to the claim that those who hate it only do so because of how it was on release.

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

It's really amazing how far paradox progressed in UI design with CK2 and especially EU4. I know it's not feasible, but I long for a DLC/patch giving vicky 2 an enhanced UI (and some more things to do).

• Locked thread