Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I can't wait to see what Root does next. Amy Acker gave a terrific performance as always, but I think I enjoyed the psychiatrist's reaction and expression more. It was surprising after seeing that actor in like every crappy procedural on tv at one time or another, usually playing a lawyer or corrupt businessman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The best part of that whole sequence (which came at the end of an excellent episode) was Amy Acker's expression when the Machine told her not to kill Hersch. "Really? Even this guy? Okay..."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If Root still has administrative duty does that mean so does Reese?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

she doesnt, the machine controls itself now, and it chose to help root.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the Machine at this point is taking the actions that logically extend from its (self-evolving, constantly improving) code. If reforming Root requires spending long periods of time helping her, then that's what it will do. She's too great of a danger left unsupervised, as previous seasons have shown.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The interesting thing about the machine's behavior is that as far as we know, it could now be talking to anyone the way it is Root.

But it's not. Whatever its plans are it doesn't seem to think it needs to reach out to Finch and co. in any way more than the numbers. At least not yet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The Machine probably knows that Root is, for lack of a better word, a zealous disciple. Whatever it asks/tells her to do there's a strong chance she'll do it without hesitating or questioning it, which Finch very well might.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Hersh just has the worst luck.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Reese has shot him, now Root's shot him, so I guess it's Shaw's turn next.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Kai Tave posted:

Reese has shot him, now Root's shot him, so I guess it's Shaw's turn next.

No, better.
Next is Fusco.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

404GoonNotFound posted:

No, better.
Next is Fusco.

You spelled "Bear" wrong. :colbert:

That was an amazing episode, between them finally giving Carter something cool to do again, Shaw being Shaw and bonding with Bear, or Root just tearing up her dialogue like a fiend. That said, anyone else find it a bit disjointed? Felt like two different episodes haphazardly mashed together, without really drawing them together neatly.

I mean, they keep an eye on this guy to see what he's up to, find out that he literally stalks women and tricks them into bed by playing to their interests, and then it swerves into a touching story about a man getting his son back by ratcheting up the sympathy card to make him "maybe later" romance-bait for Carter? :psyduck:

I did like that they didn't just go with making him an obvious serial killer, but it feels like the pendulum swung too far and they forgot that the first half established that the guy was a total sociopath with women...?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Generic American posted:

and then it swerves into a touching story about a man getting his son back by ratcheting up the sympathy card to make him "maybe later" romance-bait for Carter? :psyduck:

I sincerely doubt we're ever seeing this guy again.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Oh, I severely doubt it as well. He's not really an interesting character, and has no real value for a return unless they really just want to pair Carter off with someone for some bizarre reason. But that ending really seems to coyly wink at the idea, at least within the show's context. Odds are we'll never see his face again, but she literally said "you have my number", so it seems like a really weird narrative decision to leave her open to dating a cyber-stalking creeper who just so happens to have a son too. Because that makes him a decent guy...? :stare:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Generic American posted:

You spelled "Bear" wrong. :colbert:

That was an amazing episode, between them finally giving Carter something cool to do again, Shaw being Shaw and bonding with Bear, or Root just tearing up her dialogue like a fiend. That said, anyone else find it a bit disjointed? Felt like two different episodes haphazardly mashed together, without really drawing them together neatly.

I mean, they keep an eye on this guy to see what he's up to, find out that he literally stalks women and tricks them into bed by playing to their interests, and then it swerves into a touching story about a man getting his son back by ratcheting up the sympathy card to make him "maybe later" romance-bait for Carter? :psyduck:

I did like that they didn't just go with making him an obvious serial killer, but it feels like the pendulum swung too far and they forgot that the first half established that the guy was a total sociopath with women...?

Yeah the episode feels like it should have been like 60 or so minutes and had 15 minutes chopped off to add in the root stuff. But man the stuff we did get to see was awesome, if completely disjointed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I like that Shaw isn't a clone of John. You'd think she wouldn't be the type of person to have "fun" but she's way more outgoing than John which I think is amusing. Like she's ready to party, gently caress and forget, and John is all insular. I dunno I just really like that she isn't a female John.

Also, this episode totally confirmed that John and Zoe are kind of a couple even though it's not been really dwelt on in the show which I really loving like a lot.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
John and Zoe have kinda sorta been a thing for a while now, since the episode with the prostitution ring being run out of the hotel and the episode where they had to pose as a married couple. It's never been overtly stated out loud but the show's definitely dropped enough knowing winks here and there.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Yeah, I always figured she had a big thing for him and he kinda does but would never do anything about it because as you said, very insular and sort of done with that kinda life.

I love that bear and shaw get along really well.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Someone needs to screenshot Shaw Carter and Zoe yukking it up while John looks grumpy as poo poo in the background

He had a long day of saving someone in NYC's rear end, he's earned a little sex Zoe stop leaving him out to dry

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Loved all the stuff with root, but the playboy chameleon bit felt weird. Like, he's staking all these women, keeping files on them locked away, changing his appearance/clothing based on who he's going to see. Then whoa, wait he's actually a really sympathetic character because that's all just "research" :stare:

I feel like calling all that "research" is exactly the kind of thing a serial killer would do.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well Shaw calls him out as potentially sociopathic before qualifying that with "not that there's anything wrong with that." Then again she may not be the best judge of character there.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Occupation posted:

Someone needs to screenshot Shaw Carter and Zoe yukking it up while John looks grumpy as poo poo in the background

He had a long day of saving someone in NYC's rear end, he's earned a little sex Zoe stop leaving him out to dry

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Maybe there is an explanation on why the main story seems a bit disjointed. There was a missing person as well as the dead fiance. "Jenna Lakritz" missing since Feb 19 2013. Why would they throw that in there and never go back to it? Maybe this guy is a serial killer after all and the team just missed it because of the convenient angle that he is victim and not perp because of his son. Or did Jenna Lakritz get explained later and I missed it?

Then again I don't know if I agree he's as much a creep as some of you are saying. I mean finding out what someone likes and then giving it to them just sort of sounds just like being an awesome date. Chameleon like, sure, but I think his date with Carter itself shows that he is being genuine in a certain way even if he does shift his presentation. Sure he has major commitment issues from what happened with his former fiance, but I don't get a pick-up artist gaming towards sex vibe from the guy.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah personally for me it's that there were TWO women who were dead or missing. The one is explained and is the crux of the whole story and I could buy him just being some kind of super efficient dater, but that missing poster just throws me off.

e: I can let that slide though, because everything around that plot was great and all the mains and Zoe had really funny stuff to work with and in the moment I was having too much fun to care about that one plot hole.

The root stuff, of course, was rock solid, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 9, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well, he is gaming sex, he's just doing it in a different way from most PUAs. Instead of negging and trying weird mind games he's learning what each woman likes and using that to present himself as their perfect fling. None of his information seemed to come from anywhere other than dating apps/websites either so it's sort of a weird grey area where you can say yeah, it's kind of creepy the way he keeps files and such, but on the other hand he's not actually acting like a PUA date-rapist and/or collecting bodies in the basement so :shrug:

The Jenna Lakritz thing never got brought up past that point, my guess is it was intended as a red herring.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Sub Rosa posted:

Maybe there is an explanation on why the main story seems a bit disjointed.
I thought it created a Fog of War rather nicely

E: The bit with him holding the knife while going to the fridge was pretty hamfisted, though.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 9, 2013

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Regy Rusty posted:

The interesting thing about the machine's behavior is that as far as we know, it could now be talking to anyone the way it is Root.

But it's not. Whatever its plans are it doesn't seem to think it needs to reach out to Finch and co. in any way more than the numbers. At least not yet.

Going back to this. The Machine can't need Finch and co. because they already have a designation, if it uses them for its personal goal, then the irrelevant list gets ignored, and it can't have that.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

According to the missing poster she was last seen Feb 19 2013 at 1:30PM. According to the information Finch pulls up, the last outgoing text she sent was at 11:11PM on the 18th. There are three incoming texts from Ian after she disappears: one on the 19th looks like 8:19PM, 20th looks like 11:45AM, 21st looks like 1:01PM.

Of note on 2/18 2:30PM is a received text from Ginnifer Cantrell. I thought Cantrell was a name I'd heard before but so far can't place it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Sub Rosa posted:

According to the missing poster she was last seen Feb 19 2013 at 1:30PM. According to the information Finch pulls up, the last outgoing text she sent was at 11:11PM on the 18th. There are three incoming texts from Ian after she disappears: one on the 19th looks like 8:19PM, 20th looks like 11:45AM, 21st looks like 1:01PM.
Haha, I love the attention to detail. They actually give a poo poo, which rules.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

Going back to this. The Machine can't need Finch and co. because they already have a designation, if it uses them for its personal goal, then the irrelevant list gets ignored, and it can't have that.

The mystery comes from what it was up to whilst it was freed. The Machine clearly has different motivations from it's earlier incarnation. Unsupervised Root it considers a threat to itself, Old machine would have offed her, like it wanted to have done with Nathan Ingram, New machine wants to help her for reasons we've not yet discovered.

It's an interesting turn around for me to actually want to see Root survive and get out of the Mental hospital, given she was an opponent for much of the last series. Through Root's story we learn more about the Machine.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
So I missed a ton of last season and just recently started watching again---what's the deal with that Robin lady? Do we know yet who the voice is that keeps calling her? It seems like she has some tenuous connection to Finch but I'm not sure how....

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Astrofig posted:

So I missed a ton of last season and just recently started watching again---what's the deal with that Robin lady? Do we know yet who the voice is that keeps calling her? It seems like she has some tenuous connection to Finch but I'm not sure how....

You'll want to rewatch every episode with Amy Acker in it, she was a big part of season 2.

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0338165/filmoseries#tt1839578

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

beanieson posted:

Loved all the stuff with root, but the playboy chameleon bit felt weird. Like, he's staking all these women, keeping files on them locked away, changing his appearance/clothing based on who he's going to see. Then whoa, wait he's actually a really sympathetic character because that's all just "research" :stare:

I feel like calling all that "research" is exactly the kind of thing a serial killer would do.

There was also the fact that the rich guy hired some people to kill the PoI and then... nothing happened with it. Like, is he going to be arrested for hiring hitmen or what?

The end of that story was strangely anticlimactic too. They confront the rich guy, Reese punches him and then that's it. Carter finds the birth certificate off-screen and it has Ian's name on it, so yay, they win.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Strong episode again!

Finding Roots story line really interesting. The Machine has divied up jobs well. Team Relevant the government seem best placed to stop international terrorist stuff ( as awesome as Shaw and John are they cant be overall the world!) Team irrevlant are perfect for helping the general population as the government already said they want to focus on terrorism.

That leaves Root new role as intriguing. The Machine pretty much has itself a perfect real life avatar in Root. While the government and Finch and co are not going to take orders blindly from the machine, Root will. The machines desire not to kill is interesting coupled with what the hell is Root's job going to be?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Astrofig posted:

You really made the wrong choice here. Go back and watch season 2.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

There was also the fact that the rich guy hired some people to kill the PoI and then... nothing happened with it. Like, is he going to be arrested for hiring hitmen or what?

The end of that story was strangely anticlimactic too. They confront the rich guy, Reese punches him and then that's it. Carter finds the birth certificate off-screen and it has Ian's name on it, so yay, they win.

I suppose he ends up in a certain strangely crowded Mexican prison.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

You really made the wrong choice here. Go back and watch season 2.

Not by choice at all; thanks to my class schedule I simply wasn't home when it was on. But yeah, looks like I've got a DVD set to buy....

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

The best part of that whole sequence (which came at the end of an excellent episode) was Amy Acker's expression when the Machine told her not to kill Hersch. "Really? Even this guy? Okay..."

the whole thing reminded me of Terminator 2 though this time the female protagonist is not running from Skynet but towards it. ;)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LinkesAuge posted:

the whole thing reminded me of Terminator 2 though this time the female protagonist is not running from Skynet but towards it. ;)

You know, I say it all the drat time but I still can't get over what a cool loving concept this is.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

If Root still has administrative duty does that mean so does Reese?
She doesn't have administrative access, the Machine lists her as "Analogue Asset."

Someone (Division Post, I think) said the Machine storyline was straight out of Philip K. Dick, but I thought it was clearly Neuromancer-like. Now it may as well be PKD's VALIS.

The A-plot was kind of disjointed and weak, but I enjoyed it because I like watching the characters interact. It's funny, in the procedurals I watch, the plot-of-the-week tends to be the thing I'm least interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Slamhound posted:

She doesn't have administrative access, the Machine lists her as "Analogue Asset."

"Analog Interface." She's basically acting as the Machine's "hands," interacting with things that the Machine can't.

• Locked thread