Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

RatHat posted:

What's the easiest way to find Floating Islands? Gravitation potions? How many would I need to explore all of a small world?

Four gravitation pots or shoot up with a gun and listen to the hit sounds/look for a meteor shot bounce. You might get away with less pots if you have the magic mirror and you don't spend too much time on the islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

RatHat posted:

What's the easiest way to find Floating Islands? Gravitation potions? How many would I need to explore all of a small world?

If you have meteorite ammo just shoot up and if you see a ricochet coming back down you're under an island, then get to it with gravity potion or wings/rocket boots.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

RatHat posted:

If you have a grappling hook, just make a giant nerd pole of sand and just build a skyrail unless you're making new maps for the sake of treasure and sky/cloud blocks then I'd say at least 2 gravity potions per small map.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Someone mentioned that horizontal tunnels through a hill indicate a floating island above, and in all my 1.2 worlds, that's held true. I find horizontal tunnels, pop a grav potion, and go up to a sky island.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If that's true then there should be a sky island right next to my house.

EDIT: There wasn't

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 9, 2013

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah, and my Small world should have like seven sky islands lined up like they're late for work and the stratosphere is gridlocked.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

S.T.C.A. posted:

Someone mentioned that horizontal tunnels through a hill indicate a floating island above, and in all my 1.2 worlds, that's held true. I find horizontal tunnels, pop a grav potion, and go up to a sky island.

Out of the 6 islands in my large world there is only 1 that has what you could even remotely call a horizontal tunnel beneath it. The only thing I can say that seems orderly about them is it seems to be on the edge of biomes, but that is probably just coincidence.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

S.T.C.A. posted:

I've seen plenty of tunnels through hills and if they've ever had floating islands above them it was a coincidence.

However, if you ever find gold/platinum on the very surface, start climbing up immediately. Gold isn't supposed to spawn on the surface, so if it's there it's intersecting with an island's ore spawns.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
The only sky island tells I was sure of have been patch out.

I am fairly sure the only way to find them other than going up and looking is shooting things up which will give an indication when they hit something.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I just stick with the zigzag gravity potion strategy. Good way to farm wyverns if you have flight accessories too.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Well poo poo. The wisp doesn't try and move ahead of you when you go left or right, he moves to the direction you are pressing! You can stand next to a wall, press the d button towards it and the wisp will float into it and let you check stuff out without digging. Sodding useful for finding ore deposits.

biomatter
Aug 14, 2013

King Doom posted:

Well poo poo. The wisp doesn't try and move ahead of you when you go left or right, he moves to the direction you are pressing! You can stand next to a wall, press the d button towards it and the wisp will float into it and let you check stuff out without digging. Sodding useful for finding ore deposits.

Try grappling the wall. You'll get full control of wispy's movement, it's great. That thing is ~so kawaii~

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
gently caress I'm getting unlucky with the mimic drops, like 4 compasses and some other random poo poo but no philo stone or cross. I guess the dual hook is nice, but I'm not sure I like it better than the ivy whip. Whats the best way to farm these things? Wiki says a blood moon + battle potion but I'm not sure how long I'll last in that mess since most all of my available underground is either crimson or hallow by now.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

King Doom posted:

Too bad it floats so far over your head so it cuts off the light while digging small horizontal paths!

It would be really awesome to have both the wisp and fairy at the same time.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm almost certain there's a conspiracy to stop certain players/worlds getting certain mimic drops. There are literally a couple of dozen titan gloves and philosopher's stones sitting in trash chests on my server and we've got a grand total of one star cloak between us.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Goofy question, I'm sure this has been asked before but wasn't able to find it. Does ebonstone brick cause corruption (either biome or vegetation)? I know raw ebonstone does, and that demonite bricks do not. I'm starting the great rebuild of my little town and considering my various building material styles and options.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

If you are having trouble finding a type of ore, try drinking a spelunker potion and then falling down a hellevator shaft. After you hit the bottom, open up the big map (top left map button) and you can mouse hover to see all the deposits of ore you passed. Saves a ton of time if you are looking for something specific.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

graynull posted:

Goofy question, I'm sure this has been asked before but wasn't able to find it. Does ebonstone brick cause corruption (either biome or vegetation)? I know raw ebonstone does, and that demonite bricks do not. I'm starting the great rebuild of my little town and considering my various building material styles and options.

It didn't corrupt before, but several things changed in the big patch regarding what spreads corruption. I can confirm that since the new patch, corruption still can't jump more than a 3-tile gap, so you can do a test by surrounding a little flying ebonstone brick with some normal stone and seeing if it turns to ebonstone. Just put your experiment a half-dozen tiles above the ground and you should be safe.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

graynull posted:

Goofy question, I'm sure this has been asked before but wasn't able to find it. Does ebonstone brick cause corruption (either biome or vegetation)?

It will not cause corruption in 1.1, and I haven't read any complaints about it post 1.2 so I think you're in the clear.

Edit: Mzbundifund above has a much better solution. Speaking of which, when's your next LP starting Mr. Bundifund? <:mad:>

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

voltron lion force posted:

gently caress I'm getting unlucky with the mimic drops, like 4 compasses and some other random poo poo but no philo stone or cross. I guess the dual hook is nice, but I'm not sure I like it better than the ivy whip. Whats the best way to farm these things? Wiki says a blood moon + battle potion but I'm not sure how long I'll last in that mess since most all of my available underground is either crimson or hallow by now.

I've always had luck in finding mimics by running along my hell highway. A battle potion/water candle will probably help turn up the spawn rate so that you might get more of them. Just watch out for Red Devils now, those guys can wreck your poo poo.

Much like Bible Challenger, I've spent way too much time wasting making things. Although that dude makes way cooler castles than me, wonder if he plans them out ahead of time. Here's a thing:

for my Pirate to live in. Gotta finish the furnishings a bit, make a small metal room for those gold chests, put some skeletons in the bottom of the hold and decide on the lighting for the bottom bit, was thinking chain lanterns. The jib took me far too long.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow, I thought traps were merely annoying until I ran into an explosive one. Any easy way to notice those besides switching to an item that lets you see redstonewires occasionally?

Also, does the Goblin Tinkerer spawn in alternate cavern layers, like Mushroom/spider/jungle ect.?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

RatHat posted:

Wow, I thought traps were merely annoying until I ran into an explosive one. Any easy way to notice those besides switching to an item that lets you see redstonewires occasionally?

Also, does the Goblin Tinkerer spawn in alternate cavern layers, like Mushroom/spider/jungle ect.?

Only trap I've been able to at least spot the business end of so far is the boulder trap. That one isn't exactly subtle.

My response to this trap nonsense to date has been a grappling hook and rarely landing on the ground unless I've checked carefully for plates.

I STILL get caught by plates hidden in water, though. :argh:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

RatHat posted:

As far as I can tell, the explosive trap that triggers a dynamite blast is an instant kill no matter what gear you're wearing. I'm not even sure if they're connected by wires or if traps placed by the worldgen are just automagically paired with their respective pressure plates.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Vatek posted:

As far as I can tell, the explosive trap that triggers a dynamite blast is an instant kill no matter what gear you're wearing. I'm not even sure if they're connected by wires or if traps placed by the worldgen are just automagically paired with their respective pressure plates.

Nah, I ran into one last night with "just" 400 HP with Mythril-tier armor (though mine is Ori-whatever). Had 120 HP left after.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Vatek posted:

I've survived those several times (with like 25 health left, but still). They just deal a ton of damage.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Vatek posted:

I've survived lots of times and depending on the materials around the trap it can do 0 damage because it won't reach you.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Vatek posted:

There's definitely wires and if you're holding a pressure plate you can see them.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I built a big...square basically, and put a mushroom biome under my house for truffle once I hit hardmode, for some reason when I'm in the middle of my house the background acts like it's the middle of the night, but as soon as I run to either end or web spinner to the top I can see the sun again, Any idea what's causing that?

lesbian at Evergreen
Aug 9, 2006

Logan 5 posted:

Much like Bible Challenger, I've spent way too much time wasting making things. Although that dude makes way cooler castles than me, wonder if he plans them out ahead of time.

I do minor blueprinting. Just a quick sketch based around a focal point. Plus hours and hours and hours of practice making cool little elements

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Renzuko posted:

I built a big...square basically, and put a mushroom biome under my house for truffle once I hit hardmode, for some reason when I'm in the middle of my house the background acts like it's the middle of the night, but as soon as I run to either end or web spinner to the top I can see the sun again, Any idea what's causing that?

It's probably switching you to the surface mushroom biome. It makes it super dark for some reason. It's kind of a pain.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

President Ark posted:

There's definitely wires and if you're holding a pressure plate you can see them.

Dart traps and Wire-cutters work too, and presumably the Wrench as well.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If I want to 'seal off' an area from hardmode corruption/hallow spread, the wiki says you need to dig a 'frame' around it. Is it okay if the frame is empty air (~6+ tiles) or do I literally need to fill it in with clay/wood?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It can be empty air as long as it is greater then 3 tiles.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Whelp, glad I got in my magical boss murdering spree already, since now I'm going to have to grind up the cash to make all my accessories warding again. Kinda sucks, but at least the Destroyer can be chumped by new Lihzard traps. Oh, wait, thats not necessary because Golden Shower already does.

I did solo the bosses in 1.1 using an arena, but that was purely at my choice, and required a number of potions. The feeling of using an option that was previously less viable (magic) and defeating bosses that were formerly devestating was heady, though, but not something that could last. Guess its time for me to finally make a farm for potion ingredients and to pull out the old Megashark again. Kinda of wanted a diabolist fork or whatever, since that and the Nimbus staff seem to be the only neat new magic things that I'm missing.

Bitter? Me? what gives you that idea?

E: Just bitching because I just either used or replaced like half my Warding gear, and now the neat new armour set I was using got knocked down to a single point of defence better than Hallow caster gear and the other defensive benifit it gives was also nerfed, so I'm a bit frustrated.

Double Edit: make that 6 less defence than Hallow mage. Great endgame defence there [/sarcasm].

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 10, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
From what I've read of corruption/hallow/crimson, yes empty air will work. That's why making a sky house is the easiest way to protect your npcs from it.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

If I want to 'seal off' an area from hardmode corruption/hallow spread, the wiki says you need to dig a 'frame' around it. Is it okay if the frame is empty air (~6+ tiles) or do I literally need to fill it in with clay/wood?

Empty air technically works, but if you're sealing it off from corruption and there's dirt blocks adjacent to the frame, be sure to cover those with something non-corruptable. Corrupt dirt can have that stupid corrupted thorn poo poo grow out of it, which also spreads corruption if it happens to grow far enough to touch the other side.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well a crash corrupted the world file I was using as my city build which is a bummer. I wasn't that far along as I only just now unlocked the teleporter, which I will need to accomplish my goal. So I want to take a shortcut this time: use TEdit. However the hosting for the file appears to be all messed up. Does anyone know of a mirror for the TEdit download?

Edit: think its an issue with adblock

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 10, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Thanks, guys. I built my base in the snow, which is immune to spread anyway, but I'm right next to some forest/desert, and I want to just sort of cap that off to protect the side of my base.

lesbian at Evergreen
Aug 9, 2006

Now I'm running out of room to expand ><

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Snow may be resistant to spread but ice isn't, keep your eye on that.

• Locked thread