Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
While we're harrumphing at those Tumblin' Teens I guess there was a big blow-up on Tumblr over Gamzee punching Terezi in the face. There's one side shrieking over how he's an abusive boyfriend and another shrieking that she stabbed and kicked him several times in a vengeful fury so it's OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Did they forget he's a horrible monster clown that literally raised SuperSatan?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Burkion posted:

He raised Calliope and there was no way for him to raise one without the other so we can't judge him harshly for that.

He is just a confused alien teenager whose religion has been shattered and has been imbued with crazy rage powers my a multiversal video game so occasionally acts up. You shouldn't judge him.

It's hard being a time-travelling juggalo alien. It's hard and nobody understands.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Burkion posted:

These are the same people who forgot that Jane explicitly said she was going to revive Karkat after killing him, and then had screaming meltdowns and made melodramatic fanart when he got stabbed.

Tumblr people have the memory of a goldfish, basically.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mazerunner posted:

If anything, you'd think that Jane's reaction + going from 'undefined' to explicitly Caucasian would imply that normally she's not white.

To be honest the album art on the track "Jane Dargason" is fine in my book.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Dorroile posted:

These are the same people who forgot that Jane explicitly said she was going to revive Karkat after killing him, and then had screaming meltdowns and made melodramatic fanart when he got stabbed.

Tumblr people have the memory of a goldfish, basically.

To be fair, even this thread has the memory of a goldfish sometimes given how often we do the "I'm just not feeling this update, guys, Hussie's jumped the shark----oh wait that was merely setting up another scene right after that ended up being the actual point of that! Suddenly it makes sense." dance.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

That was neat. I also like dark-skinned Pacific Asian Jade, which was probably the first notable non-white kid headcanon I recall going around a lot.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hussie could have saved himself a poo poo ton of grief if he had just said "Yeah, there aren't any minorities in this comic, I'm sorry for not being more inclusive but that's the way it is." Trying to please tumblr is a fool's errand.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Hussie could have saved himself a poo poo ton of grief if he had just said "Yeah, there aren't any minorities in this comic, I'm sorry for not being more inclusive but that's the way it is." Trying to please tumblr is a fool's errand.

He'd been doing the "ethnically neutral" thing since before Tumblr got big. At least back then it was more like his approach to how you pronounce the names; it's not explicit in the comic at any point so you can fill the blanks with whatever.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Tenebrais posted:

He'd been doing the "ethnically neutral" thing since before Tumblr got big. At least back then it was more like his approach to how you pronounce the names; it's not explicit in the comic at any point so you can fill the blanks with whatever.

Except about the soft T in Egbertian. :)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

See, I don't really care about race but I always pictured Jane as white simply so it can be believable to her that shes "descended" from Betty Crocker. Plus her whole schtick about being a baking grandma and noir detective strikes me as very "white". But as I said it doesn't really matter beyond personal preference. Almost all of the kids strike me as white so perhaps I just have the racism.

Roxy will never not be a Spanish Conquistador in my mind though. :colbert:

(also, I don't want to start a race argument so it would be nice if that didn't happen please)

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 9, 2013

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Nephthys posted:

See, I don't really care about race but I always pictured Jane as white simply so it can be believable to her that shes "descended" from Betty Crocker. Plus her whole schtick about being a baking grandma and noir detective strikes me as very "white". But as I said it doesn't really matter beyond personal preference. Almost all of the kids strike me as white so perhaps I just have the racism.

(also, I don't want to start a race argument so it would be nice if that didn't happen please)

Spanish conquistador? What's caused that image?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah, gotta ask where that came from, unless you meant Jake instead of Roxy.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

No, it has to be Roxy. I've always pictured Jake as a 1980's style news anchorman.

I was just thinking of the scene in Talladega Nights where they come up with absurd mental images of baby jesus like that hes a mischievous badger or a ninja, so I said the dumbest, least accurate thing I could. You guy should try it, its fun.

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

Nephthys posted:

betty crocker in the homestuck universe is black, and also not a human being.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gul Banana posted:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Gul Banana posted:

Yeah but noone knows that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Condy may be the most interesting character in Homestuck to me because there's so much we don't know about her. How did she raise John? Did she have an actual disguise or was she blinging it up?

She must have had some interest in Colonel Sassacre, because she went out of her way to marry the guy. Twice. I REALLY would like the story on that-does she just appreciate a nice funny gentleman? Of all the villains we have, we know very little about her. Even what we've learned from Meenah doesn't explain that much.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tenebrais posted:

It's your own fault if you don't pronounce Rose's name "ro-ZHAY." That's your bias, not mine. :smug:

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Olivia42 posted:

It's your own fault if you don't pronounce Rose's name "ro-ZHAY." That's your bias, not mine. :smug:

That reminds me of the time the fandom disagreed with Hussie on how to pronounce Noir. Some people were adamant that Hussie was wrong, even though it's an actual word in an actual living language that people use every day. Of course this is also true of a lot of the troll names, so I guess people will argue over everything.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Happy Yeti posted:

That reminds me of the time the fandom disagreed with Hussie on how to pronounce Noir. Some people were adamant that Hussie was wrong, even though it's an actual word in an actual living language that people use every day. Of course this is also true of a lot of the troll names, so I guess people will argue over everything.

Did they think it was pronounced 'noyer'? :eng99:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rasamune posted:

To be fair, spanish speakers may see it as "no ir", which makes sense given the how the plot acts much the same way :v:

(it doesn't go)

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Rasamune posted:

Hussie's Formspring posted:

how did you intent jack noir's surname to be pronounced? "nore" or "no-are"?
The way the word is actually pronounced.
nwär
He mentioned it again later somewhere else, so I'm guessing some people weren't convinced.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Wait, was "cavort" always underneath Gamzee's feet in the latest panel?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

frozentreasure posted:

Yeah, I remember it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

frozentreasure posted:

Yeah, it was always there

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

:colbert: Trolls have orange sclera and irises that start grey and eventually fill in with their blood color. Cosplay invalidated.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Snollygoster posted:

While we're harrumphing at those Tumblin' Teens I guess there was a big blow-up on Tumblr over Gamzee punching Terezi in the face. There's one side shrieking over how he's an abusive boyfriend and another shrieking that she stabbed and kicked him several times in a vengeful fury so it's OK.

He's literally an abusive boyfriend, though. I mean, this is canon. Is the collective fanbase memory so short that no one remembers Karkat's conversation with Terezi about him?

quote:

TEREZI: TH3N W3 ST4RT3D T4LK1NG SH1T W1TH 34CH OTH3R MOR3 4ND MOR3
TEREZI: 4ND H3 W4S SO MUCH N4ST13R TH4N H3 3V3R US3D TO B3! W4Y MOR3 TH4N 4NY OF OUR FR13NDS 3V3R W3R3
TEREZI: ON3 T1M3 H3 ST4RT3D MOCK1NG MY BL1NDN3SS
TEREZI: WH1CH N3V3R BOTH3R3D M3 WH3N 4NYON3 3LS3 D1D 1T
TEREZI: BUT SOM3HOW, TH3 STUFF H3 S41D...
TEREZI: 1 L3T 1T G3T UND3R MY SK1N

quote:

TEREZI: 1D B3 D3V4ST4T3D 1F H3 JUST
TEREZI: SUDD3NLY D1TCH3D M3 L1K3 TH4T

TEREZI: 1D F33L P4TH3T1C!!!
TEREZI: 4ND 1 GU3SS
TEREZI: 4 S1CK 4ND T3RR1BL3 P4RT OF M3 DO3SNT W4NT H1M TO GO
TEREZI: BUT 1F H3 DO3S 1 W4NT 1T TO B3 B3C4US3 1 T3LL H1M 1TS OV3R!

If Hussie were any more blatant about it, there'd be a 72-point gif flashing EMOTIONAL ABUSIVENESS at the bottom of the chatlog.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Some people are being cautious since we don't really know if thats any more abusive than is standard in a kismesistude.

Personally I jump at every chance to hate on Gamzee but you know..... tumblr. :shrug:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
You could argue that his abusive behaviour was because of Aranea's control, but I doubt Tumblrites are actually thinking about that.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Nephthys posted:

Some people are being cautious since we don't really know if thats any more abusive than is standard in a kismesistude.
Yeah, but there's definitely a motif in Homestuck that insists that social norms are not a legitimate form of moral justification, both in John's whole falling out with Vriska and the contrast between Beforan/Alternian culture. A huge part of Aranea's character is Hussie mocking the idea of being culturally sensitive/respectful of absurd social constructs. The only characters that don't find kismesistude a stupid idea are either inculcated to it or fetishizing foreign culture.

snucks fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 10, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

He's literally an abusive boyfriend, though.

I was under the impression it was a black relationship.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Black's supposed to be rivalry, not driving your partner to attempt murder while crying. I don't think we've seen a functioning kismewhatever yet.

e. Jack & Snowman, that's how its supposed to be.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Lizard Wizard posted:

The impression I got was that kismesis is supposed to be a rivalry between equals, not an abusive relationship with a clear power imbalance due to emotional manipulation. That's just being an rear end in a top hat.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Thundarr posted:

The impression I got was that kismesis is supposed to be a rivalry between equals, not an abusive relationship with a clear power imbalance due to emotional manipulation. That's just being an rear end in a top hat.

Well yeah, it went off the rails big-time but its roots are in kismesisitude.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 10, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Seoinin posted:

Black's supposed to be rivalry, not driving your partner to attempt murder while crying. I don't think we've seen a functioning kismewhatever yet.

e. Jack & Snowman, that's how its supposed to be.

Didn't Jack shoot Snowman through the heart? And she stabbed him in the eye with a cigarette holder? Not defending what was a lovely comic relationship (oh god I just typed that), but you're not really setting a good example.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The thing with troll relationships is that it was supposed to be stupid. It always was. Hussie had to explain it to us in detail to see if we could read that block of text with a straight face, and then he took it to the extreme with leprechaun romance. Will we have to see Squiddle romance to understand that the quadrants were always a joke and not to be emulated or taken seriously?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

IUG posted:

Didn't Jack shoot Snowman through the heart? And she stabbed him in the eye with a cigarette holder? Not defending what was a lovely comic relationship (oh god I just typed that), but you're not really setting a good example.

Yeah but you'll notice that neither of them were in the middle of a tearful mental breakdown.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Seoinin posted:

I don't think we've seen a functioning kismewhatever yet.

The fanfiction authors would have you believe it just means a BDSM relationship. No, I'm not gonna defend myself for knowing that; I pretty much deserve that look on your face right now.

IUG posted:

True, however it was Hussie himself who said:

Hussie posted:

For instance, human players would never be able to adequately diagnose the relationship between the queen and her archagent. But troll players could immediately place it as a dead ringer for kismesissitude. They would think we were all pretty stupid for not getting it. And they would be right.

Or maybe it's just the closest functional equivalent we've got. Of course, the cigarette lance in Slick's eye was basically a scratch to him, and he only went gunning for her at Scratch's behest, right?

EDIT:

Blackheart posted:

The thing with troll relationships is that it was supposed to be stupid. It always was. Hussie had to explain it to us in detail to see if we could read that block of text with a straight face, and then he took it to the extreme with leprechaun romance. Will we have to see Squiddle romance to understand that the quadrants were always a joke and not to be emulated or taken seriously?

For people here to understand it? Sure, that'd probably do it if anyone still took it seriously. For Tumblr? Never. Their reaction would probably be "No, that's totally stupid, but troll romance works, you guys."

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 10, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Seoinin posted:

Yeah but you'll notice that neither of them were in the middle of a tearful mental breakdown.

Are you implying that Slick has emotions besides anger and disdain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Oh, and not to distract from this thrilling line of conversation, but, at long last, troll hoodies are available (and embroidered patches for the kids, like what you got in the Kickstarter rewards).