Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

How necessary do you find fixing a few hundred bugs/inconsistencies/typos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Aren't the unoffical patches from the guy who decided to put an oblivion gate int he middle of Whiterun's capitol?

VVV Am I going to run into the Oblivion Gate with the ones int he OP?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 9, 2013

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yup.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Choosing not to download a compilation of necessary bugfixes because of the author is dumb. Download them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I want to make a mod that lovingly recreates armors and weapons from Morrowind, but also changes all references of "Argonian" to "The Lizard Men" in such a way that it is impossible to remove, and also replaces the guards in Whiterun with Dremora.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

No, that was an entirely different mod.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

BigRed0427 posted:

Aren't the unoffical patches from the guy who decided to put an oblivion gate int he middle of Whiterun's capitol?

Arthmoor seems to be approaching the unofficial patches with a lot more professionalism and understanding. Mainly of the fact that they aren't ~HIS FANFICTION~, but rather a supplement to ensure the game runs as correctly and as according to Bethesda's intention as possible.

Now I wouldn't say the unofficial patches are strictly necessary, but at the same they do absolutely no harm and there's no reason not use them if you're playing on PC at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

What armor retexture is that? It looks really nice.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
This is maybe a weird question for the modding thread, but I don't know of a better one to post it in. I played Skyrim without mods when it first came out and I kind of enjoyed playing it. I didn't really like the tone or the combat or character building that much, but there's something about TES-type games that makes me want to binge on them for a while every now and then. I've played a shitload of Fallout: New Vegas, and the vast majority of that was with various mods that changed things I didn't like about the base game. I have been curious lately what the mod situation is like with Skyrim and if there are a variety of (actually good) gameplay changing mods. I'm pretty ignorant of the Skyrim modding scene, and while I read the OP of this thread and saw some stuff, I'm interested in people's individual recommendations for changing the whole game up.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's the first mod he links in his post (Skyrealism - Shiny Imperial Armor).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Seashell Salesman posted:

This is maybe a weird question for the modding thread, but I don't know of a better one to post it in. I played Skyrim without mods when it first came out and I kind of enjoyed playing it. I didn't really like the tone or the combat or character building that much, but there's something about TES-type games that makes me want to binge on them for a while every now and then. I've played a shitload of Fallout: New Vegas, and the vast majority of that was with various mods that changed things I didn't like about the base game. I have been curious lately what the mod situation is like with Skyrim and if there are a variety of (actually good) gameplay changing mods. I'm pretty ignorant of the Skyrim modding scene, and while I read the OP of this thread and saw some stuff, I'm interested in people's individual recommendations for changing the whole game up.

There's a huge modding community built around Skyrim in the same way Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion, and Morrowind had. Thousands of arguably quality mods exist for this game, ranging from tiny and specific tweaks to all-encompassing overhauls. Pretty much anything you can think of changing has already been changed (or is being changed) by an author--it's just a matter of going through the thread's OP/searching the Skyrim Nexus for things you'd like to change.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Wooli Wool posted:

I'm going to vouch for SkyRealism - Shiny Imperial Armor as one of the best armor mods I've seen. The newly minted, finely made imperial armors in this mod really make the Imperial troops look like authority figures and not a bunch of rabble.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks this actually looks really bad? That leather looks like what you'd find in the seats of an expensive new car, not on a used set of armor. And it frankly seems completely out of place with the rest of Skyrim- unless you've modded the rest to be super flat and saturated too I guess :v: I went to the mod page itself and I honestly don't get where all the super positive feedback is coming from. When I think of the best armor mods I think Zerofrost's crazy work for new sets and maybe amidianBorn for retextures. This really, really doesn't seem even on the same level. Each to his own I guess, but I keep wondering if I'm somehow magically seeing a different image from everyone else.

Also so this isn't just bitching about people liking what I don't like, I've been looking back at Oblivion recently and I'm wondering what we'll look back on as the most influential Skyrim mods when TESVI comes out. It feels like in Oblivion there was a clear "winner" in terms of popularity and use for a lot of categories. For body mods it was HGEC for girls and Robert's for guys, for overhauls it was OOO with some competition that got merged together in FCOM, etc. But Skyrim seems a lot more fragmented. Maybe I'm just getting that impression because I got in on the tail end of the Oblivion lifecycle; do you think we'll eventually get the crazy megaprojects like Unique Landscapes and FCOM and Better Cities for Skyrim?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

EgoEgress posted:

Am I the only one who thinks this actually looks really bad?

Not at all. That armor looks so jarringly out of place with the aesthetics, not to mention ugly as sin and in the most obnoxiously "I'm Such a Badass" red and black shades.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

EgoEgress posted:

Am I the only one who thinks this actually looks really bad?
Chalk me up for another. That looks terrible.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Woolie Wool's post make me wish Skyrim was RL so I could find his character and beat him up a bit.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
I found this last night. Atlas Map Markers, which adds a ton of new map markers, and includes world maps for the Soul Cairn, Blackreach, and the Forgotten Vale (with new map markers for those locations) and map markers for Dragonborn. It also includes optional map marker and compass tweaks marker. Pretty neat. The new World Maps leave a bit to be desired graphically, but still a nice addition.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I know I'm like a month late, but thanks for starting a new thread, it was very hard for me to keep on top of after a while. :sweatdrop:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I definitely recommend Frostfall, SPERG, and Morrowloot. To a lesser extent I recommend Realistic Needs & Diseases, Apocalypse Spell Package, Dwemerverse Dwarven Magic Package, and Thunderchild Shout Package.

The first three change a lot of the gameplay. Frostfall adds the weather element to the game, forcing you to adapt your gamestyle to survive the harsh weather of Skyrim. SPERG completely redoes how the skill trees work, and Morrowloot delevels the loot system, forcing you to actually explore everywhere to get the good gear (anything that's above Steel). The latter three magic packages are done by one person, and basically expand on Skyrim's magic system.

Shoehead posted:

I know I'm like a month late, but thanks for starting a new thread, it was very hard for me to keep on top of after a while. :sweatdrop:

No worries, it's been close to two years now, so there's an established amount of quality mods, which makes it easier to keep up the list.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Is there a mod that lets you never have to fight anything you don't want to? I tried to look but I can't seem to find anything sensible, there's too many. All the combet mods seem to be about making it more complicated, not turning it off. I just wanna hang out with bears and stuff sometimes :3:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Apropos spell addons, I notice a conspicuous absence of The Revenge of Colette in the OP. Definitely one of the better spell mods around, even if it isn't actively supported anymore.

skoolmunkee posted:

Is there a mod that lets you never have to fight anything you don't want to? I tried to look but I can't seem to find anything sensible, there's too many. All the combet mods seem to be about making it more complicated, not turning it off. I just wanna hang out with bears and stuff sometimes :3:
SPERG has a large amount of perks that make certain groups of enemies friendly. Natural enemies, Dwemer automatons, trolls, etc.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

New Convenient Horses version lets you override the whistle quest with the MCM.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Playing the new Terraria patch and doing a lot of domestic work. Making me wish I had the modeling and animation know-how to make a 'Plowshares to Swords' mod. Would love to see some rural farming equipment converted to end-game viable weaponry. Who wouldn't want to dual wield hand scythes or impale someone with a pitchfork?

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

graynull posted:

Playing the new Terraria patch and doing a lot of domestic work. Making me wish I had the modeling and animation know-how to make a 'Plowshares to Swords' mod. Would love to see some rural farming equipment converted to end-game viable weaponry. Who wouldn't want to dual wield hand scythes or impale someone with a pitchfork?

Something like this?: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9884/ There's a pitchfork or two at least.
I haven't tried it myself, and it hasn't been updated in a while.

edit: and another: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9858/

gasman fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 9, 2013

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Has anyone tried Smart Cast? Any comments on how well it works? Like, when spells are cast using the features in this mod, do they behave normally, e.g. give experience and not cause bound weapon spells to bug out? I used Grimy Utilities before for some of the features listed but it was just too buggy for me.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
How do I disable the weird mouse effects in this game? I know I must have done it last time I played because this kind of mouse cursor weirdness makes me feel sick and irrationally angry. I know that in FO3 and FONV you can fix it by disabling VSync, but that doesn't seem to have worked this time.

e: also disabling mouse acceleration doesn't help.

e2: after these changes I guess looking around in the game feels normal, but the cursor in the menus is still way off. Very distracting.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 10, 2013

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

OK so using that Neovalen guide to STEP I've been tooling around a bit with using TES5Edit to patch mods to be compatible/more in line with the unofficial patches.

If anybody is more familiar with the way Skyrim works, though, I'll probably have a couple of questions. I've gotten through most of the hard conflicts in my load order but I was wondering if this needs to be merged or patched somehow:

I think this is just a count for the total possible dialogue lines for a given response but if I have EFF at the end of my load order there is it going to limit the options when using these custom followers?

Also since I saw Hoth posted here, would it be safe to remove these records from the Hoth Follower mod or would I be better served to copy the Moonlight Tales records over? Or are those going to work anyway since they aren't directly conflicted?

Thanks for any help, having never played an Elder Scrolls game before let alone modded one I'm trying to work it out in my head.

futile
May 18, 2009
You should be able to leave the info count alone on the first record. On the second, the Hoth record looks identical to the original. Delete it. Note that EFF and custom followers may not be compatible. Support for custom followers may have been added in the last beta update but I don't remember for sure.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Great, thanks, that was what I'd thought on both.

I think EFF works with custom followers if you place them in its follower faction.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Good lord I really need to use the Saviour's Hide I have stashed in a chest somewhere now.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I'm trying the Realistic needs and Frostfall mods at the moment and I feel like they are set up wrong in my game. Are Woodcutter's Axes really not purchasable from stores in Frostfall? Also, should I not be able to fully rest from "Very tired" by sleeping for 12 hours? It only took me to "Tired".

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 11, 2013

futile
May 18, 2009
12 hours should be plenty of sleep to turn to well rested from any state if I recall. Is your timescale set to vanilla default?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Scyantific posted:

Good lord I really need to use the Saviour's Hide I have stashed in a chest somewhere now.

Amidian Born or a new retex?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I'm trying the Realistic needs and Frostfall mods at the moment and I feel like they are set up wrong in my game. Are Woodcutter's Axes really not purchasable from stores in Frostfall? Also, should I not be able to fully rest from "Very tired" by sleeping for 12 hours? It only took me to "Tired".

I don't think Woodcutter's Axes are in the shop lists (or something else is conflicting with them). As for RN&D, did you check to see if you have a disease? Diseases will prevent you from getting proper rest, no matter how long you sleep.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Amidian Born or a new retex?

AmidianBorn. It's in the standalone Saviour's Hide mod, not Book of Silence.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
From really low levels of sleep, where it tells you "I need to find a bed NOW", I've had to sleep up to 24 hours to get to Well Rested. I just assumed that's how the mod worked.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Cerevisiae posted:

From really low levels of sleep, where it tells you "I need to find a bed NOW", I've had to sleep up to 24 hours to get to Well Rested. I just assumed that's how the mod worked.

That is pretty crazy. I've disabled that mod for now because it seems a bit borked. I really liked the pacing of the needs in Fallout: New Vegas with the JSawyer mod and Project Nevada mod rebalances. Sort of occurs to me that the world of Skyrim is covered in food and fresh water and inns, though, so maybe a survival game won't be so exciting.

Scyantific posted:

I don't think Woodcutter's Axes are in the shop lists (or something else is conflicting with them).

I ended up finding a few in bandit lairs and whatnot, after I had already disabled the mod :(

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 11, 2013

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Huh, did you try fiddling with the settings? Maybe you had something interfering with the mod itself. Who knows :shobon:

Anyway, here's a Clock display mod.

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885
I'm having issues with the game giving me 'antialiasing detected' with my ATI card - I'm using MO, climates of tamriel and skyrealism ENBseries. I've got 3 different skyrimprefs.ini files right now - one in documents/my games/skyrim, one in the MO profiles folder and one in skyrim/skyrim. All three of them have the bfloatpointrender=1 and such added to it, but I'm still getting the error. I've gone into the ATI catalyst control center and set it to application-specific.

No matter what I play with, whether I remove CoT and the ENB files and add them back in, I can't seem to get it to work - as it is it seems like half the effects are there but it's way too light during the day and way too dark at night, plus it looks sort of jagged/pixelated.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mind posting your system specs? Might help out a bit.

Also, did you make sure you have both Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic filtering turned off in the MO skyrimprefs.ini file? If not try deleting the ones in your MO profile, then adding the Steam Skyrim Launcher (not skse or tesv.exe, it has to be TESVLauncher.exe) into your MO Executables menu, then running it through MO and letting it re-detect your settings. After that, open up the options from the Launcher and make sure to turn off both AA and Anisotropic Filtering.

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885

Scyantific posted:

Mind posting your system specs? Might help out a bit.

Also, did you make sure you have both Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic filtering turned off in the MO skyrimprefs.ini file? If not try deleting the ones in your MO profile, then adding the Steam Skyrim Launcher (not skse or tesv.exe, it has to be TESVLauncher.exe) into your MO Executables menu, then running it through MO and letting it re-detect your settings. After that, open up the options from the Launcher and make sure to turn off both AA and Anisotropic Filtering.

My specs are:

i2500k @3.30
8gb RAM
Win7 64 bit
VGA SAPPHIRE|100352-2L HD7950 3G
ASROCK P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 R

I've deleted/backed up the skyrimprefs.ini and added TESVLauncher.exe into MO and launched it, but it didn't seem to detect my settings, it still had my old ones in there (AA and AF are set to off). Is there any other way of forcing it to detect settings?

Edit: Aha, if you hit default it will force it into detecting the video card settings. It auto-detected the settings and I turned off AA, but now the game is crashing on launch, through SKSE and TESVLauncher.

Thanks for the help.

Amish Retard fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Amish Retard posted:

My specs are:

i2500k @3.30
8gb RAM
Win7 64 bit
VGA SAPPHIRE|100352-2L HD7950 3G
ASROCK P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 R

I've deleted/backed up the skyrimprefs.ini and added TESVLauncher.exe into MO and launched it, but it didn't seem to detect my settings, it still had my old ones in there (AA and AF are set to off). Is there any other way of forcing it to detect settings?

Edit: Aha, if you hit default it will force it into detecting the video card settings. It auto-detected the settings and I turned off AA, but now the game is crashing on launch, through SKSE and TESVLauncher.

Thanks for the help.

Run Wrye Bash through MO and see if you're missing a master file somewhere.

• Locked thread