Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
I don't know Diabetus, I'd say that the time it takes to get the first and second set of stars is balanced out by the last two stars of the game :shepicide:

I liked Melty Monster Galaxy, it's enjoyable without needing to be a super difficult lava level. Clockwerk Ruins isn't as fun, but I think I think that way because of getting that Luma star was really hard for me to do for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acrylic Squirrel
Apr 7, 2007
This video was an enlightening PSA and a reminder that all of us should see our doctor to get a routine marioscopy performed. I hope they get to co-commentate in the future.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Acrylic Squirrel posted:

This video was an enlightening PSA and a reminder that all of us should see our doctor to get a routine marioscopy performed. I hope they get to co-commentate in the future.

My Marioscopy is not covered by my insurance, and I still have to pay for the Luigiectomy I had a few months ago :(

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
Lubba is Mario's lawyer eh? Hmm...

"Lubba! I am the one who jumps!"

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Holy poo poo I never even found that bowling game :aaa: just when I thought I'd seen everything in this game, nice one Betus. Also it was awesome to hear Cherrydoom again, I missed hearing her voice. Chuuurls though sounds awesome too, these two work together real well as a commentating duo.

Also, those melty-monster hippos are called Blaargs. :goonsay:

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

That last galaxy was really great! I loved the trick when the blue wall pushing out flew away and the wall became the floor. It's great when we're near the end of the new galaxies and this game can still has surprises in store.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

PassTheRemote posted:

My Marioscopy is not covered by my insurance, and I still have to pay for the Luigiectomy I had a few months ago :(

This is a bit of a derail, but it's important for folks to understand what's going on in this area- there's a lot of misinformation about this floating around. sorry for the :goonsay::

The good news is that under Lubbacare, if you have a preexisting malignancy on your Luma, you're still guaranteed coverage. There was going to be funding available for free Mariometry Screenings, but the American Diabetus Association came out with a new analysis saying that it wouldn't bend the coin curve- it was all pretty controversial, so it wound up being cut from the final bill. The bad news is that Governor Gearmo is refusing to accept low-coin coverage expansion- probably pandering to his face.

The Toad Party is threatening to shut down the Galaxy unless Lubbacare gets repealed, anyways, so who knows.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 10, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Discendo Vox posted:

The Toad Party is threatening to shut down the Galaxy unless Lubbacare gets repealed, anyways, so who knows.

It's not a threat; they totally did it. But they were too late and Lubbacare was already funded, they couldn't stop it but they shut the galaxy down anyway. That's why Mario needs his own personal spaceship to fly around and can't just catch public transport or use pipes like he normally does.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Biting political commentary in the Mario thread

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

LAY-ZX posted:

Biting political commentary in the Mario thread
~*Cherrydoom sigh*~

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What were you expecting when you clicked on LP&D?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I never trusted those fuckers!

Edit: Can you not play The Chimp's minigames as Luigi?

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 10, 2013

Chromatic Penguin
Aug 20, 2013

Let me see your face.

Discendo Vox posted:

The Toads hate the taxes of Lubbacare, yet they didn't seem to put up a fuss when Galaxy funds were used to buy each of them a Yoshi…

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Y-Hat posted:

Edit: Can you not play The Chimp's minigames as Luigi?

Any star in the game is obtainable by either brother.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

FinalGamer posted:

Holy poo poo I never even found that bowling game :aaa: just when I thought I'd seen everything in this game, nice one Betus. Also it was awesome to hear Cherrydoom again, I missed hearing her voice. Chuuurls though sounds awesome too, these two work together real well as a commentating duo.

Also, those melty-monster hippos are called Blaargs. :goonsay:

:goonsay: Umm actually they are subspecies of Blarggs called Magmaarghs and Magmaws gosh get your facts straight.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The T posted:

:goonsay: Umm actually they are subspecies of Blarggs called Magmaarghs and Magmaws gosh get your facts straight.

Thank you! I was this close to unsubscribing this thread due to all this bullshit misinformation.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Wheany posted:

Thank you! I was this close to unsubscribing this thread due to all this bullshit misinformation.

More Toad Party propaganda; they want you to think that all Blaargs are the same and are trying to hide the truth of their wonderful diversity.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Neruz posted:

More Toad Party propaganda; they want you to think that all Blaargs are the same and are trying to hide the truth of their wonderful diversity.

Eh, they all look the same anyway.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, chuuurls' Luma voice is way too hilarious and I hope she returns for future videos.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Neruz posted:

Look, I'm not Blaargophobic but I don't think it's right for them to build one of their lava pits only a few blocks away from the site where an eruption destroyed the World Toad Center.

Carlioo posted:

I don't know Diabetus, I'd say that the time it takes to get the first and second set of stars is balanced out by the last two stars of the game :shepicide:

I actually got every single star except the last one, got confused on how to get it, looked it up online, and then quietly turned off my Wii and haven't picked up Mario Galaxy 2 since. Without revealing too much the unlock conditions for the final star are easily the worst and dumbest design decision in this game and I have no idea what possessed the developers to put that in. :negative:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Adelheid posted:

Eh, they all look the same anyway.
Man you loving Blaargist :colbert: the Mushroom Kingdom enjoys a veritable industry of wealth from the produce of Toads, Koopas, Shy Guys, Birdos, Bob-Ombs, Snifits, Ninjis, Humans, Blaargs, Mowsers, and also have fine upstanding trade and diplomacy agreements from other nations such as Sarasaland, the Bean Bean Kingdom, and Pi'llo Island.

We have no place for racists here good sir, not in this melting mushroom pot.

TwoPair posted:

Holy poo poo, chuuurls' Luma voice is way too hilarious and I hope she returns for future videos.
Seriously, I want those two to come back again, they were super-awesome and just clicked so well together. Hell if they ever did their own LP I would totally sign up.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

FinalGamer posted:

Seriously, I want those two to come back again, they were super-awesome and just clicked so well together. Hell if they ever did their own LP I would totally sign up.

There were two guest commentators? :confused:

(I kid, I kid)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

FinalGamer posted:

Man you loving Blaargist :colbert: the Mushroom Kingdom enjoys a veritable industry of wealth from the produce of Toads, Koopas, Shy Guys, Birdos, Bob-Ombs, Snifits, Ninjis, Humans, Blaargs, Mowsers, and also have fine upstanding trade and diplomacy agreements from other nations such as Sarasaland, the Bean Bean Kingdom, and Pi'llo Island.

We have no place for racists here good sir, not in this melting mushroom pot.

It's not that they're racist, you racist. Some folks don't think in terms of categories like you do- Adelheid is just colorblaarg.

...I'll stop now.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I forget, does this mean we can make puns or the opposite?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If even Luigi needs a couple of jumps to grab that star at the end of Melty Monster, how on face can Mario manage it? Triple-jump circumnavigation?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Glazius posted:

If even Luigi needs a couple of jumps to grab that star at the end of Melty Monster, how on face can Mario manage it? Triple-jump circumnavigation?

The difficulty Diabetus had with getting that star has nothing to do with the star itself and everything to do with Diabetus being bad at jumping on small planets, which is fair enough because it takes a bit of practice to really understand how gravity works on those things.

1talianStallion
Mar 14, 2013

Neruz posted:

The difficulty Diabetus had with getting that star has nothing to do with the star itself and everything to do with Diabetus being bad at jumping on small planets, which is fair enough because it takes a bit of practice to really understand how gravity works on those things.

In addition to that, Luigi in general goes hog-wild when trying to jump on the smaller planets especially in that specific galaxy. This can be good for skipping lots of the area and getting around faster; but if you want to try anything with precision then Luigi adds a lot of difficulty. He also looks really really silly.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

1talianStallion posted:

In addition to that, Luigi in general goes hog-wild when trying to jump on the smaller planets especially in that specific galaxy. This can be good for skipping lots of the area and getting around faster; but if you want to try anything with precision then Luigi adds a lot of difficulty. He also looks really really silly.

Yeah Luigi's schtick is that he jumps better but is harder to control than Mario. He's a lot more floaty and slippery, once you get the hang of Luigi you can use him to get into all kinds of silly places the devs never intended you to but he is definitely harder to use.

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004

:mario: Part XXIX - Throwback Galaxy :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: slowbeef & Vicas)

:toot: Soundtrack :toot:
- Throwback Galaxy theme

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice
See, I absolutely loved the fact that they have you revisit Throwback Galaxy so late in the game. It just feels like, "you've been playing these games for years, remember how all this 3D stuff started."

I would have loved it *more* if its existence hadn't been spoiled for me by an impatient friend, but it was still really great to play through regardless. And the music really was a great touch, that first blast of the trumpets always brings back the childhood.

In regards to the Cloudless challenge, I almost think that you could wall-jump your way to that first cloud where the discussion first came up. The more difficult one would probably be the one that requires you to go past a line five or six clouds deep and then long jump, I'm having trouble figuring out how he might make that one.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Its a bit jarring how talkative the Thowmp King is compared to the other bosses.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Throwback galaxy just makes me miss the days of Mario 64 when you could actually just explore to find stars rather than following a scripted level sequence.

I want an 'open world' solar system to play in dammit Nintendo.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
One of my favorite gaming memories is climbing to the top of a pole in Whomp's Fortress in SM64 when I was 7, and my grandmother walking in, looking at Mario, and asking "do his parents allow him to do that?"

And yeah, looking back, the worlds in SM64 were rather tiny.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Fun fact: if you die and re-enter the boss fight, the Whomp King actually starts his speech again and this time actually stops partway through saying he's tired of it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

BearDrivingTruck posted:

And yeah, looking back, the worlds in SM64 were rather tiny.

Mario was also smaller in relation to enemies; Mario and Luigi tower over Piranah Plants and Goombas but back in 64 they were only a little taller than both.

I'm not sure if Mario has gotten bigger over his adventures as he grows fat on the fruits of success or if the rest of the world has been slowly shrinking as the Mushroom Kingdom heads towards an inevitable big crunch event.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PAMaster posted:

In regards to the Cloudless challenge, I almost think that you could wall-jump your way to that first cloud where the discussion first came up. The more difficult one would probably be the one that requires you to go past a line five or six clouds deep and then long jump, I'm having trouble figuring out how he might make that one.

That, and the final star, high above the tower. Unless I just completely missed something, I don't know how it'd be possible to reach that cloudless.

I really wish they would've included a segment where you needed to blast Mario/Luigi out of a cannon to break open a wall though. There's just something about using Mario as a cannonball that's satisfying.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zuzie posted:

Its a bit jarring how talkative the Thowmp King is compared to the other bosses.

Cool fact: That speech is word for word what the Thwomp King said in Mario 64.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Another thing is that Whomp's Fortress was, itself, not one of the bigger levels in Mario 64. In fact it might've been in the running for the smallest, size-wise. I'm sure Throwback Galaxy would've reached traditional Galaxy levels if you swapped Whomp's Fortress out for Tall Tall Mountain, or Bob-Omb Battlefield, or something.

The other issue is that 64 and Galaxy worlds were actually designed differently. Mario 64 levels were designed to be fairly dense, to fit several stars into one single area, while Galaxy stages are more traditional sprawling obstacle courses, leading up to a single star. So comparing them in size is a bit disingenuous, you'd be better off comparing the Bowser levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enormatron
Dec 22, 2009
Nintendo had a bunch of videos of Galaxy 2 on their Youtube channel leading up to the game's release, and one of them was about Throwback Galaxy. It was a good level, but I would have been a lot happier if I didn't know it was there beforehand.

About the level itself, if you don't waggle when you fall down the hole where the cannon should be, you die. One of the first things I tried to do was blast through the wall. Also collecting silver stars actually was a mechanic in the DS version of Mario 64, and Whomp's Fortress had a silver star goal if I remember correctly.

• Locked thread