Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Reichstag posted:

Part of that is that people are still aping the form of surrealism from a century ago, rather than making things in keeping with the spirit. The abnormal, when repeated ad nauseum, becomes mundane.
THAT'S PAPER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
My posts are surrealism. :colbert:

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I wish there was a style called Dementia. "Oh, very dementia, darling."

I said that out loud in a funny voice, if you cared.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

I seem to be having another bout of wanting to sell all my gear and buying a leica.

The monochrom M gives me a huge boner. =/

The Truesense / Kodak sensor in the MM and M9/p is really something else around base ISO, and probably good to ISO 800 before you'll have too much noise. It's too bad Kodak poo poo the bed, cause I'm sure a large subset of digital M users would have liked the latest M to still be based around a CCD sensor derived of the M9's. If you can swing it, and the pricing is good, an M9 is a nice choice. The colour DNGs convert very well to B&W. Just be careful about shutter count and overall use, because those bodies aren't known for their reliability. Also, the LCD is a joke, and basically only good for reviewing camera settings.

On the other hand, if you can tuck that boner, Fuji X bodies and lenses are loving boss. They will get you very close/close enough to the quality of an M9 + Leica lens that you probably won't care about the difference.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Facebook advertises Leicas to me all the time. Leicas and muscle buffers. I like to think something I'm doing on Facebook, like my FB stalking technique or just the snarky bullshit I write on people who teased me at school has really sounded in whatever ad algorithm is looking at me and it just knows I'm so loving close to great, so very loving close and all I need is abs and an M9.

But I have a couple Hasselblads, and it can't know that, obviously, so that's cool, and all I need is abs, and like that raunchy diagonal gently caress muscle north east and north west of the groin that slides the gaze down like a horizontally striped shirt on a fat man makes your gaze slide around him, like your eyeballs get sucked into his bariatric orbit. EDIT: Except in a good, sexy way. Not in an obese way.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Helmacron posted:

Facebook advertises Leicas to me all the time. Leicas and muscle buffers. I like to think something I'm doing on Facebook, like my FB stalking technique or just the snarky bullshit I write on people who teased me at school has really sounded in whatever ad algorithm is looking at me and it just knows I'm so loving close to great, so very loving close and all I need is abs and an M9.

But I have a couple Hasselblads, and it can't know that, obviously, so that's cool, and all I need is abs, and like that raunchy diagonal gently caress muscle north east and north west of the groin that slides the gaze down like a horizontally striped shirt on a fat man makes your gaze slide around him, like your eyeballs get sucked into his bariatric orbit. EDIT: Except in a good, sexy way. Not in an obese way.

Why do I feel like I just read a snippet of a David Foster Wallace story.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Helmacron posted:

I just....

...love you.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Helmacron posted:

raunchy diagonal gently caress muscle

new thread title please

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

aliencowboy posted:

new thread title please

...on Earth, as it is in Heaven.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

krooj posted:

The Truesense / Kodak sensor in the MM and M9/p is really something else around base ISO, and probably good to ISO 800 before you'll have too much noise. It's too bad Kodak poo poo the bed, cause I'm sure a large subset of digital M users would have liked the latest M to still be based around a CCD sensor derived of the M9's. If you can swing it, and the pricing is good, an M9 is a nice choice. The colour DNGs convert very well to B&W. Just be careful about shutter count and overall use, because those bodies aren't known for their reliability. Also, the LCD is a joke, and basically only good for reviewing camera settings.

On the other hand, if you can tuck that boner, Fuji X bodies and lenses are loving boss. They will get you very close/close enough to the quality of an M9 + Leica lens that you probably won't care about the difference.

The fuji x-pro 1 + a lens or 2 looks like the best contender for budget leica. The 35/1.4 + that body should be fairy nice whilst staying small. I'm tired of my iPhone being the best camera I have on me and really want something smaller I can throw in my bag. The 5D3 +35L + 85/1.8 is like, 6 pounds or something.

A Canon SL1 + 40/2.8 is another tempting alternative, I suppose. I guess I need to see one.

Edit: the SL1 + 40/2.8 can be had for $600 all in. That's close enough to disposable that I think I've found what I'm gonna toss in the bag with a wi-fi SD card for all my instagram raunchy diagonal gently caress muscle pics.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 8, 2013

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Elite Taco posted:

The fuji x-pro 1 + a lens or 2 looks like the best contender for budget leica. The 35/1.4 + that body should be fairy nice whilst staying small. I'm tired of my iPhone being the best camera I have on me and really want something smaller I can throw in my bag. The 5D3 +35L + 85/1.8 is like, 6 pounds or something.

A Canon SL1 + 40/2.8 is another tempting alternative, I suppose. I guess I need to see one.

Edit: the SL1 + 40/2.8 can be had for $600 all in. That's close enough to disposable that I think I've found what I'm gonna toss in the bag with a wi-fi SD card for all my instagram raunchy diagonal gently caress muscle pics.

I know you want a Monochrom so let me put in a good word for the GRD IV because it has a super distinctive B&W look to it. It's a CCD so you want to shoot it near base ISO. It won't compete with the Fuji for image quality but if you like shooting B&W it's a hell of a machine that fits in your pocket.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

Hell, if your intention is to have something small enough to always carry then go for the X-E1 or X-E2 (when it's out), or the GX7/OM-D + Panaleica 25mm or the Zukio 17mm 1.8. Super cheap Leica option: M8.

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I know you want a Monochrom so let me put in a good word for the GRD IV because it has a super distinctive B&W look to it. It's a CCD so you want to shoot it near base ISO. It won't compete with the Fuji for image quality but if you like shooting B&W it's a hell of a machine that fits in your pocket.

The GRD uses a CCD? No wonder people care about it. All this time, I was seeing reviews and wondering what the fuss was over a fixed focal compact that looked like it came from a drug store.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

mr. mephistopheles posted:

This conversation makes me miss the terrible photos thread. Surely it's been gone long enough for there to be enough new lovely photography for a thread without rehashing the same 20-30 sites over and over?

Paragon8 posted:

I remembering it veering towards "look my friend takes bad pics make fun of them plz" rather than "holy poo poo look at this terrible person with the audacity to charge money to crap out this"

I'd really like to get the terrible photos thread back, and if it's allowed, would also like to volunteer to keep it on course. As long as we stick to things that are clearly HORRIBLE, and not just questionable in concept and/or execution, or like Paragon8 said "Look at my stupid friend's stupid blurry picture", I think we can all get along.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

krooj posted:

Hell, if your intention is to have something small enough to always carry then go for the X-E1 or X-E2 (when it's out), or the GX7/OM-D + Panaleica 25mm or the Zukio 17mm 1.8. Super cheap Leica option: M8.

The GRD uses a CCD? No wonder people care about it. All this time, I was seeing reviews and wondering what the fuss was over a fixed focal compact that looked like it came from a drug store.

Yeah, for cult loyalty it straight up competes with my X-Pro. It has an early version of the Q menu that you can customize which settings are on it and in which order. There's an exposure compensation rocker or X-series Command Dial, depending on where you want it and you can shoot Aperture or Shutter Priority or full Manual. You can set up a "snap focus" distance where if you fire the shutter without a half depress the camera will move the lens to your specified distance and take the shot. It shoots 4:3 natively and its RAWs are DNGs. The lens is a f/1.9 28mm equivalent but it's really a 6mm so the DOF is monstrous.

In addition to being able to assign a lot of functions to the various buttons, rocker or dial, it has two programmable function buttons and function button pairing so your function buttons can look like: [fn1:ISO/ fn2:AF mode]. You get 4 sets of those and you press up and you can scroll through the pairs to determine what you want your two function buttons to do.

On top of that you can store "snapshots" of how you want your camera set up inside the camera and assigned to the top PASM dial. Once you register it to the dial, any time you select the "MY1, MY2, or MY3" the camera instantly shifts all of its settings to what you saved. Your first one could be set for (and named so you'll know later) "Street" so it's set for f/3.2 and pre focused at 1.5 meters, B&W with the screen off or whatever. "MY2" could be Aperture Priority, AutoISO 800/125s, screen on with grid lines, a completely different set of function buttons, etc. You get 3 of these on the PASM and an additional 12 in internal memory and another 15 on a card that can be swapped into and out of the three slots.

Yep, there was fuss and rightly so. I really like using mine with the X-Pro as it has a different look to the files but the experience of using the GRD IV is comparably enjoyable and isn't dumbed down, despite what you'd think from its drugstore camera looks.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I hear the new aps-c GR kicks x100s levels of rear end too.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
http://www.wired.com/design/2013/10/this-jony-ive-designed-camera-is-gonna-cost-you-a-lot-of-money/

Any guesses on how much this will go for and how many shots will be made with it?

And it's only got an f/2 on it...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Spedman posted:

http://www.wired.com/design/2013/10/this-jony-ive-designed-camera-is-gonna-cost-you-a-lot-of-money/

Any guesses on how much this will go for and how many shots will be made with it?

Reminds me of Apple trying to build a Zorki 10.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
That shutter button looks super annoying.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
It is fugly. It is obvious she has never seen another Leica. The Ur-Leica is the most gorgeous Leica camera ever.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

This. You'd have to turn the camera on with your one, perfectly sculpted, exquisitely reinforced fingernail. Which would break, conveniently creating the shape necessary to actually push the button.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I normally really like Ive's designs and I know you could build around the problem, but I can't help but think... "A camera is basically a light-tight box. So, how do we design this? I know! Let's drill a gazillion tiny holes in it!"

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ive is a brilliant designer but that looks like poo poo.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
In case you didn't notice, the guy who designed the ugliest Pentax was the co-designer on the ugliest Leica.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jony needs beer money too, guys.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

So does the shutter wheel. It protrudes for a loving reason, you jerks.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm sorry you all hate good cameras.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

So does the shutter wheel. It protrudes for a loving reason, you jerks.

The lens doesn't have a focus tab either, dude must really hate skeumorphism.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I like it. :shobon:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
This looks about what I expected from Mr. Ive. Take that however you will. Maybe a bit cutesy for something that should say "photographic purity bitches!", but okay.

But what strikes me is that it's immediately apparent -- Johny never used a real camera for any length of time; or at least not outside out of 'P'rofessional mode. The shutter has been mentioned, also the shutter speed dial. But I think what is the coup de grāce is that the mode / on-off switch is located around the shutter button; and it's recessed, too. So every-time you change the mode there is a chance that you will take a picture of whatever in the process as well.

Also it looks like it would be annoying to hold.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Does anyone here really think that camera is actually going to be used to take pictures, let alone be used by an actual photographer? Its another obscenely expensive, purely decorative Leica.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

red19fire posted:

Does anyone here really think that camera is actually going to be used to take pictures, let alone be used by an actual photographer? Its another obscenely expensive, purely decorative Leica.

Those test charts aren't going to photograph themselves.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

red19fire posted:

Yeah, there's no way you take that camera out on an even semi regular basis. That poo poo sits on your shelf and your friends secretly know what it is and hate you, or all have one themselves.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Awkward Davies posted:

Yeah, there's no way you take that camera out on an even semi regular basis. That poo poo sits on your shelf and your friends secretly know what it is and hate you, or all have one themselves.

To my knowledge there's only going to be one. (Not that, this invalidates your argument, but yeah...)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
No one will being taking photos with that thing. Maybe like one selfie before it goes into the ultra secret leica user group jerk off vault.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Exactly, once a year they'll shoot a test chart, post it to FM, say "look on my works, ye mighty, and despair," and it goes back into the vault.

Or maybe it'll be a birthday present for some Saudi oil baron's kid who will drunkenly drop it off the side of a yacht.

Eat the rich.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
It's being auctioned of for charity, and it's 1 of 1. It's going to be sold for crazy money to an art dude philanthropist type. Not a Leica dentist or whatever.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mightaswell posted:

It's being auctioned of for charity, and it's 1 of 1. It's going to be sold for crazy money to an art dude philanthropist type. Not a Leica dentist or whatever.

You underestimate the reach of the Leica User Group's shadowy dong.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

8th-snype posted:

Leica User Group's shadowy dong.

mods??

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

8th-snype posted:

You underestimate the reach of the Leica User Group's shadowy dong.

Srlsly. I don't think I've seen such a hosed up group of product apologists. Disclosure: I have an M240. It's a really well built device that basically corrects the electronic deficiencies of the M9, but the firmware is loving poo poo. Like, "the loving co-op wrote this while drinking Redbull and eating Doritos on a 72 hour stint"-kinda bad. Example: you were in automatic exposure mode with auto ISO, then switched to manual exposure. The ISO menu still says auto ISO, but, surprise! The camera silently reverts to the last used ISO value... Another gem: when using AE and auto ISO, you can set a maximum exposure time... So you set it to whatever minimum value you think you can handhold at, and you'd expect the setting to be observed as an override (cause you, the user, set it). Nope! Camera uses whatever the hell shutter speed it wants, ignoring the setting.

It's not even worth mentioning these issues in the user community, cause even opening the topic is met with, "you're wrong and that's how it's supposed to work". Reminds me of Mac users...

e: apparently maximum exposure time / minimum shutter speed behaviour is like that on all (?) digital cameras. That's extremely loving dumb.

krooj fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Mac users are a lot more humble then they used to be now that Apple stuff is way more popular, to the point that there are enough people using it that will point out the problems with it, much like the eleventy trillion Windows users have been doing with Windows for years.

So Leica's best insurance against criticism is exclusivity.