Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Install Windows posted:

i carried around an optical mouse around in middle/high school so i didn't have to deal with this

how much of your high school career was spent inside of a locker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TOOT BOOT posted:

how much of your high school career was spent inside of a locker

none

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

my high school didn't even have lockers, owned nerd

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

:nws: http://offbeatr.com/project/the-ultimate-3d-sex-game-a-k-a-xstoryplayer-v9-9-24925473352 :nws:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hot its like a realdoll simulator for poor creepos

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
an entire kickstarter for creeps

Dec 26, 2012

Al! posted:

an entire kickstarter for creeps

creepstarter

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
of course this would be on there...

:nws: http://offbeatr.com/project/discord-in-equestria-your-ponysona-goes-here-58998173679 :nws:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Install Windows posted:

i carried around an optical mouse around in middle/high school

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sniep posted:

the best solution for this, especially for public handling type situations (libraries, school computer labs, etc) that was better than caddies was those plextor i think pioneer actually 6 cd changers so you could just have a copy of a few encyclopedias and reference works on like 2 or 3 PCs then i recall generally seeig a couple machines with the same for kids games / educational poo poo on different PCs...

this thing:

lock it up in the desk enclosure and nobody had to do anything. massive storage for that day and age. i grew up in a rich area tho

just wanted to quote this for the next page cause it ownes

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
my first burner was ide on my p133 and back then buffer underrun protection didn't exist so if the drive went faster than the computer you got a coaster

that happened a ton even if you closed every single other application and gave all focus to whatever burning app you used

i ended up buying a scsi card and a 6x plextor cdrw and then i could leave mirc open while i burned a cd and be able to use cdrwin :getin:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i'm the arousing decor

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Install Windows posted:

idk we had a special sound card cd rom drive and it didnt have any cpu hogging problems. some creative sound blaster combo thing.

yeah it was either scsi or atapi

also cdrom drives always had the ability to play audio data independently, no host cpu involvement. which is how video games had cd sound tracks without sweating the cpu

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

flyboi posted:

my first burner was ide on my p133 and back then buffer underrun protection didn't exist so if the drive went faster than the computer you got a coaster

that happened a ton even if you closed every single other application and gave all focus to whatever burning app you used

i ended up buying a scsi card and a 6x plextor cdrw and then i could leave mirc open while i burned a cd and be able to use cdrwin :getin:

by the pentium era the buffering problem was mostly a software problem. blame windows. not kidding. "client" versions of windows deliberately tweaked the scheduler to favor the foreground process, even if something v. important was happening in the background

if you had used the exact same hardware under linux/bsd/solaris it would have worked fine

i do not miss that era one bit

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the mouse ball disappeared from our imac's puck mouse in 6th grade and everybody thought i took it but I DIDN'T TAKE IT :qq:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Sniep posted:

you put a group of 12 year olds in a computer lab before htere was the internet (web) (thus they don't want to be there) and tell me how long it takes to disable all the computers cuz they have no mouse balls
we always had to make "dead mice" (turned upside down) before leaving the lab so they could be checked. a teacher literally told a middle school class that someone had been stealing the balls out of the dead mice and did not expect to be laughed at.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

DragonReach Ghost posted:

Cool Buff Man posted:

Good thing he had great folks like you throw an extra eight thousand dollars at him so he can do stuff like get swindled out of a vent hood
Yup, it helps to provide people the means to achieve their goals.

As a totally fictitious example: If you had decided to commit suicide and weren't just attention whoring, I would provide you with information on locations to purchase various articles to achieve your end goal and instructions so you don't gently caress it up. I would hate for you not to have the chance to succeed at your endeavors.

holy poo poo gbs

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i'm the arousing decor

i'm the stretch armstrong wiggly penis

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
me 2

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
pretty sure the first cdrom drive i ever had was a scsi interface, it was hooked up to a mac

iirc the first compy we owned in our house was a IIgs and it cost like 3k or something? shits cray

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

serewit posted:

iirc the first compy we owned in our house was a IIgs and it cost like 3k or something? shits cray

an original pc was something like $3k for 64k, one 360k floppy drive, and a cga card. by the time you'd added a ram upgrade, hard drive, monitor, etc it could easily cost $10k+. and thats 1981 dollars

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
and now you can blow 10k on giving a man a hotdog stand

i think we were better off before

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

Yup, it helps to provide people the means to achieve their goals.

As a totally fictitious example: If you had decided to commit suicide and weren't just attention whoring, I would provide you with information on locations to purchase various articles to achieve your end goal and instructions so you don't gently caress it up. I would hate for you not to have the chance to succeed at your endeavors.

holy poo poo gbs
[/quote]

thats the guy who took away his kids christmas presents for ecred

also lol:

Whelp, misstep 1. Doobie didn't do a walk through before leasing. Hopefully not a year lease...

He spent (gasp!) 300 on a hood he expected there. I'm worried for what other things lay in wait. Like I will canx xmas if needed.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah it was either scsi or atapi

also cdrom drives always had the ability to play audio data independently, no host cpu involvement. which is how video games had cd sound tracks without sweating the cpu

i learned about redbook audio trying to get the seventh guest to work since it played the opening video with sound and then nada

they ended up shipping me a third party driver on a 3.5" disk that fixed the game for me

apropos of nothing t7g came with a 'making of' vhs tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcuQoQrMjWM

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
As a kid I used to click 'burn' and then run out of the room because I was so afraid of activity on the computer loving up the burn (CDRs are expensive, man!) that I thought even the vibrations of my footsteps moving the mouse might gently caress things up.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
you could easily gently caress up old cd burners by stomping around the house. those things were delicate and temperamental as gently caress

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Al! posted:

holy poo poo gbs

thats the guy who took away his kids christmas presents for ecred

also lol:

Whelp, misstep 1. Doobie didn't do a walk through before leasing. Hopefully not a year lease...

He spent (gasp!) 300 on a hood he expected there. I'm worried for what other things lay in wait. Like I will canx xmas if needed.

sorry son but santa left all of your gifts at a redneck's hotdog stand in alabama

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

did that guy really sign a lease without doing a walkthrough?

hayseed is gonna get bilked out of his money when the wallet inspector shows up

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sweevo posted:

an original pc was something like $3k for 64k, one 360k floppy drive, and a cga card. by the time you'd added a ram upgrade, hard drive, monitor, etc it could easily cost $10k+. and thats 1981 dollars

a base model IBM PC was $1,565 in 1981, and unlike every home computer at the time, it had an 80 column display, the minimum for business use.

this was a screaming deal. you could easily spend $1500 on a dumb terminal in 1981, and here comes an IBM PC that is both a minicomputer AND a fully capable terminal. who cares if it's bloody slow and has miserable I/O, holy gently caress, it's a business computer on my desk

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the 80 column thing cannot be underestimated btw. all home computers, like apple ii and commodore 64, had 40 column displays

can't write cobol
can't use it as a unix terminal
can't use it as a dec terminal
can't use it as a mainframe terminal

just useless. ibm pc was the first inexpensive computer to do anything useful

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
also the price for an ibm pc with floppy drive and 80 column card had dropped pretty quickly, with the cassette only model being dropped from availability as early as the next year iirc. it still wasn't cheap but it was a really good deal to get something that had a disk drive and an 80 column display.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the 80 column thing cannot be underestimated btw. all home computers, like apple ii and commodore 64, had 40 column displays

can't write cobol
can't use it as a unix terminal
can't use it as a dec terminal
can't use it as a mainframe terminal

just useless. ibm pc was the first inexpensive computer to do anything useful
also this makes it doubly funny when people claim that some stupid computer system that also played games slightly better than contemporary consoles "should have won" in the 80s/90s

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a base model IBM PC was $1,565 in 1981, and unlike every home computer at the time, it had an 80 column display, the minimum for business use.

this was a screaming deal. you could easily spend $1500 on a dumb terminal in 1981, and here comes an IBM PC that is both a minicomputer AND a fully capable terminal. who cares if it's bloody slow and has miserable I/O, holy gently caress, it's a business computer on my desk

"the original PC proved too expensive for the home market. At introduction, a PC with 64 kB of RAM and a single 5.25-inch floppy drive and monitor sold for US $3,005 ($ 7,716 in today's dollars), while the cheapest configuration (1565 US$) that had no floppy drives, only 16 kB RAM, and no monitor (again, under the expectation that users would connect their existing TV sets and cassette recorders) proved too unattractive and low-spec, even for its time"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

~Coxy posted:

"the original PC proved too expensive for the home market. At introduction, a PC with 64 kB of RAM and a single 5.25-inch floppy drive and monitor sold for US $3,005 ($ 7,716 in today's dollars), while the cheapest configuration (1565 US$) that had no floppy drives, only 16 kB RAM, and no monitor (again, under the expectation that users would connect their existing TV sets and cassette recorders) proved too unattractive and low-spec, even for its time"

yes it was too expensive for the home market. it was still a screamingly good deal and lit the world on fire. as it turns out home users are not the primary market for personal computers. who knew?

that's only half-sarcastic. in 1981, nobody knew that personal computers would be a big deal in business. having a terminal on your desk, or better yet, your secretary's desk, was the normal model. having a personal computer at work with local i/o and local processing was a really strange idea

but it took off in a big way

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

computers are loving stupid

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in a way business PCs adopted the pricing made popular by SaaS in the 21st century

a lot of SaaS is sold on the basis that the initial price is so low, individual managers will either pay out of pocket or use their individual budgeting ability to purchase the first few seats of salesforce.com or whatever

the IBM PC was so cheap that individual managers in the early 80s could afford to purchase one for their individual or departmental use, without any higher authority approving it

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
kickstarter for a build your own 8088 pc clone kit?? make it happen nerds

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

computers are loving stupid

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Phoning It In posted:

just get a broken one, a magnifying glass, and a soldering iron. the transistors are like 0.5mm across

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Phoning It In posted:

i know for my microcontrollers class in college we used an 8086 board with a breadboard which had video out and USB support and poo poo, so i'm sure it's not that hard to find an 8088 version

• Locked thread