Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Man, what a cliffhanger. Can't wait to see what Wangnan can actually do here to stall for five minutes; would be kind of disappointed if it's just more comic relief again.

As for the hiatus, from what I've heard they'll be selling/signing official english language books at the frankfurt convention, so pretty cool for anybody in the area and potentially means we'll have an easy in to actually buying/supporting this beyond naver hits, if it even counts hits from foreign IPs. I'd totally buy Tower of God Season 1 in book form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

I'd buy a book in a heartbeat, ToG is so drat awesome.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm under the impression that Wangnan is actually reasonably competent at fighting; it's just that most of the other prominent characters at this point are hyper-competent. I mean, he did manage to get up to floor 20 (or whatever that floor was where a bunch of people get stuck) and those bombs must be good for something. Not that this means he'll be able to fight against the two who just showed up, because he definitely won't.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wangnan is competent yeah, he just got screwed at one of the big cruel Tower society roadblock floors until he got lucky enough to tag along with Baam past it.

It's just that Baam is an extremely special individual, especially in fighting power.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Decus posted:

Man, what a cliffhanger. Can't wait to see what Wangnan can actually do here to stall for five minutes; would be kind of disappointed if it's just more comic relief again.

As for the hiatus, from what I've heard they'll be selling/signing official english language books at the frankfurt convention, so pretty cool for anybody in the area and potentially means we'll have an easy in to actually buying/supporting this beyond naver hits, if it even counts hits from foreign IPs. I'd totally buy Tower of God Season 1 in book form.

If only that wasn't halfway across the world :negative:

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

So apparently the company that has a bunch of these webcomics or w/e showed some kind of interest in expanding overseas at the book fair thingy. They put up an english translation of the first few chapters online. Going through it now and it's not all that great to be honest. Definitely not fan translation bad but I wouldn't call it good either. Here's to hoping they actually do get the attention of some publisher and someone who's actually a native English speaker starts translating this comic.

That would pretty neat :shobon:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah, it'd be great to see someone give a high-quality translation - the series is so drat good, it really does deserve a good translation.

Although hey, this is miles above the early fan ones. :lol: Lahel

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That's The Company, the one that's doing it now. They're normally really good with translations(barring some light use of internet speak like OMG or WTF) so it was weird for them to mistranslate that.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Back to the most recent chapter, who does the dialog in the last panel belong to? I can't tell whether Novick or Reflejo is speaking there, so I'm not really sure who made an alliance with who.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

RatHat posted:

That's The Company, the one that's doing it now. They're normally really good with translations(barring some light use of internet speak like OMG or WTF) so it was weird for them to mistranslate that.

The series has some pretty weird names admittedly. It's hard to fault a group for not knowing a name when 25th Night is apparently an acceptable name in this universe.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012

Sleepy Owl posted:

Back to the most recent chapter, who does the dialog in the last panel belong to? I can't tell whether Novick or Reflejo is speaking there, so I'm not really sure who made an alliance with who.

I think that’s the point. Either Baam struck up a allegiance with Mad Dog to stall FUG and buy him the time to steal the prize. Or that Fug paid off mad dog to set up the game.

This is Tower of God. Alliances are everything and shift easier then oiled gravel.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
I figured it was Reflejo speaking, and also that he may be wrong. FUG knows that Baam made contact with his old friends, but they don't know that he's been informed about the Thorn and given that key- or if they do know, the reader hasn't been shown such.

So that was probably just Reflejo's assumption based on limited intel- that Baam cut a deal with the Mad Dog as part of whatever move he and his old companions are making to fight back against FUG, when actually Baam is heading for the Thorn and probably hasn't had any dealings with the other team. I can't wait to see what a desperate clusterfuck this is going to turn into, for all sides.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

lil baby anime posted:

So apparently the company that has a bunch of these webcomics or w/e showed some kind of interest in expanding overseas at the book fair thingy. They put up an english translation of the first few chapters online. Going through it now and it's not all that great to be honest. Definitely not fan translation bad but I wouldn't call it good either. Here's to hoping they actually do get the attention of some publisher and someone who's actually a native English speaker starts translating this comic.

That would pretty neat :shobon:

It's really not that bad at all. Those beginning couple dozen of chapters were pretty atrocious at times.

It actually feels a bit weird reading it from a place that isn't Batoto, though.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

http://mngacow.com/tower-of-god/s02-83/?all

"Thanks for coming so fast. :smug:"

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012

Rak is only worth 150k!? Someone has greatly under valued our Rak leader.

Anak has really been getting around back stage to set this up. I find myself wondering what this could imply, because she has done a disturbing amount of stage setting. she has both fingered Baam for Adrossi, Primed Baam's reveal for Ship. Gotten Mad dog to team up with Baam for ploy to break free of Fug and so on. To many conclusions to jump too if all shes really going on is his eyes. This is going to have a fun reveal I know it. :f5:

zerosix fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 20, 2013

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Another interesting chapter. Really hoping Novick doesn't get absolutely stomped. And the 'whats truly in there' bit has me a bit worried that they're all being manipulated somehow.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
http://mngacow.com/tower-of-god/s02-84/?all

Some interesting developments in this chapter.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012

Shieldhill posted:

http://mngacow.com/tower-of-god/s02-84/?all

Some interesting developments in this chapter.

this makes Mr. Yuto's blushing a handful of chapters back make so much more sense.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Everyone is FUG. Whoooo

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I have to wonder just how good the plan is if it depends on an irregular being bound by rules that were made in the Tower, though.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Is that Hwa Ryun? Again? :haw:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Is that Hwa Ryun? Again? :haw:

lil baby anime posted:

Everyone is FUG. Whoooo

To be fair, everyone was FUG from the beginning of the season. It's consistent at least. :v:

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Shugojin posted:

I have to wonder just how good the plan is if it depends on an irregular being bound by rules that were made in the Tower, though.

Wait, what rules does it depend on?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm not really sure! It could be none, or it could be that since irregulars are somehow fundamentally different from anyone the scientists have data on that Baam simply won't respond as expected.

I do suspect that however they intend to control him involves shinsoo somehow and we know that as an irregular Baam is abnormally good at controlling it. His unconscious control seems to be more powerful than his conscious control as well - see his ease of moving through the tank on Headon's floor and being totally unaffected by the projected wall of shinsoo on the Floor of Test for examples.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Oh my. Can't really say I saw that coming. Guess we know now how they plan on getting their murder on re: Koon & friends.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Shugojin posted:

I'm not really sure! It could be none, or it could be that since irregulars are somehow fundamentally different from anyone the scientists have data on that Baam simply won't respond as expected.

I do suspect that however they intend to control him involves shinsoo somehow and we know that as an irregular Baam is abnormally good at controlling it. His unconscious control seems to be more powerful than his conscious control as well - see his ease of moving through the tank on Headon's floor and being totally unaffected by the projected wall of shinsoo on the Floor of Test for examples.

From what I understand they're just going to put his soul into the thorn, then have something else use it.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

RatHat posted:

From what I understand they're just going to put his soul into the thorn, then have something else use it.

This is how I interpreted it too.

The thorn is a weapon, and Baam will be it's ignition, just like the girl inside the Black March. So when the thorn is activated you get the attack of an irregular, which should be capable of killing Zahard.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
I hope this 'Baam falling down some abyss to his "death"' thing is going to have some kind of twist that makes it totally different from the last season finale.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Panzerschwein posted:

This is how I interpreted it too.

The thorn is a weapon, and Baam will be it's ignition, just like the girl inside the Black March. So when the thorn is activated you get the attack of an irregular, which should be capable of killing Zahard.

That's pretty much what I think too. I also think that it (at times anyway) seems like irregulars almost obey different laws of physics when inside the Tower than regulars do, so things may not go quite as the scientists expect.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011

What, like he'll actually die?

I'd find it pretty funny if every season had this as the finale though.

Hallgerd fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 28, 2013

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
On the current topic, if you put the soul of a living ignition weapon into a weapon, does that make it a double ignition weapon? Obviously the demon is needed, and so is an irregular, so it looks like they'll need Baam and the demon together. I also wonder how long Baam has been a living ignition weapon. Did it happen in the timeskip when he got picked up by FUG, or has it always been the case?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Hallgerd posted:

What, like he'll actually die?

I'd find it pretty funny if every season had this as the finale though.

In the final chapter, Baam falls off the tower. :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Slime posted:

On the current topic, if you put the soul of a living ignition weapon into a weapon, does that make it a double ignition weapon? Obviously the demon is needed, and so is an irregular, so it looks like they'll need Baam and the demon together. I also wonder how long Baam has been a living ignition weapon. Did it happen in the timeskip when he got picked up by FUG, or has it always been the case?

Back when living ignition weapons were first shown Baam explained how it happened. It was during the timeskip.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Has there been any explanation for why Rak shrank yet?

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Has there been any explanation for why Rak shrank yet?

Its a thing that happened for comedy back in season one. My guess why hes stayed shrank so much during this season was because its easier to draw and fit him in panel then full detailed Rak.

Just wait until stuff fully gose down then the full might of Rak Leader will be unveiled.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'd have to find it again, but at one point somebody translated a "Laws of Shinsoo" post that essentially summed up to "the Laws of Shinsoo are whatever the Laws of Shinsoo want to be at any given time/place" since apparently each floor's Guardian can determine them somewhat and, irregulars aside, even let regulars/rankers alter them further. It's a nice alternative to "I don't gotta explain poo poo" or "it's magic" that still lets crazy stuff happen without the setting feeling inconsistent (rule of the setting: shinsoo is inconsistent).

That said, I (potentially) call super bullshit on this one thing:

What were the in-character justifications for that little conversation considering the most recent reveal? Like, to me, that's just flat-out lying to readers without any reason to do so (potentially). Did somebody's plans for the plot shift as he wrote? Or have we yet to see what side Mad Dog himself is on? If he's still out to crush FUG for real things might get really interesting.

EDIT: also just read something that pointed out all the betrayer characters have been blonde so far. Yu Han Sung, Ho, Rachel, Apple and now Ron Mei. That pretty much only leaves Wangnan as "a blonde who hasn't betrayed anybody" so far. His time is coming.

Decus fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 28, 2013

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Decus posted:

What were the in-character justifications for that little conversation considering the most recent reveal? Like, to me, that's just flat-out lying to readers without any reason to do so (potentially). Did somebody's plans for the plot shift as he wrote? Or have we yet to see what side Mad Dog himself is on? If he's still out to crush FUG for real things might get really interesting.

Seems pretty easy to justify to me.

"The great slayer candidate, huh?" = They've never seen him in person before, though they are working with FUG. Appraising him. They might have to fight him later, after all.
"Heh~ He's a superstar, huh?" = Sarcasm. They plan to kill him and stuff his soul in the thorn, so she's probably amused at the people thinking he's their hero to defeat Zahard.

"He went out at midnight to calm down. If he was here, either him or the slayer candidate would be dead by now" = Mad Dog is impatient. Doesn't want to wait for the plan, would rather just subdue Baam and make him into the weapon.

As for the most recent strip: News says 3 others. Novick, Horyang, and Yuto, or did they get Ran and Yuto stayed behind?

booksnake fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 28, 2013

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

booksnake posted:

As for the most recent strip: News says 3 others. Novick, Horyang, and Yuto, or did they get Ran and Yuto stayed behind?

Since Yuto is someone they supposedly brought in with them, I'm guessing it's Baam's chosen team. So Novick, Ran, and Horyang.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
I'd rather not stake my entire endgame on someone still counting as an irregular once you've stuck his soul in an ignition weapon. Or on him cooperating in that form, since the Black March evidently has no problem selecting who can activate her. Maybe the plan is to but Barghave into the weapon, from which he would control Baam?

Then again, this is the FUG faction whose plan has been terrible since Day 1. At least their endgame is kinda cool. I wonder if Baam will actually get the Thorn? Maybe he'll friendship no jutsu Alpha into becoming its soul or something. He seems like a prime candidate for a face turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I think it would be funny if they actualy succeed in putting Baam into the thorn only to have it wind up bound to someone else, like Wangnan.