Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Personally, I would have thought that if you're concerned about Essure you still have plenty of other options? What hormonal BC have you been on, have you tried progesterone-only pills? The implant is a much lower dose than pills so it might be easier on you anyway, and ofc it's much easier to remove than something like Essure...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
I've only ever been on Nortel 1/35, so I have no idea how I'd be on progesterone only. I feel like I got incredibly lucky that the first one I was on (seemingly) had no negative side-effects. My period/withdrawal bleeding got a lot lighter, cramps were less of an issue, fewer mood swings, weight steadied and only fluctuates by ~5 lbs. a week instead of 10 lbs. None of my friends on BC had this luck, and I saw how crappy it was for them to keep trying different prescriptions every half year. One of them never found a suitable BC and has just gone back to condoms.

If it weren't for my doctor's suggestion I wouldn't have gone off it in the first place. Since this is my first day after the placebo week, I'm pretty nervous. I'd rather have a permanent back-up in the long run so that if I *do* need to start trying a bunch of different hormone types/doses then I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. I know I should be able to trust condoms, it's just hard for me to be comfortable enough when I have no concept of when my period will show up, or when I'd be late. I even bought cheap pregnancy test strips off of Amazon so I can use one once a week as a means of normalizing it and reassuring myself everything's ok. If everything is not ok, I'll at least find out early and not 8+ weeks later.

Right, now I feel pretty embarrassed about writing this all out. I know how much of my thought process and mood changes from something as simple as getting crappy sleep, so not knowing how something like this could affect me mentally is enough to deal with already. For all I know life will be awesome without hormonal birth control. If that ends up being the case, the only non-surgical options are a copper IUD that's got nickel, or Essure that's got nickel. The IUD is easier to remove, and ultimately would have to be after 10(?) years. So I guess what I should be asking is does the copper IUD have a comparable amount of nickel in it to Essure? If a copper IUD ends up being fine then at the end of its run I could get Essure and after the following 3 months be worry free.

Well, unless one migrates like it did with BULLETKISS. Christ that sucks.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Zantie posted:

Well, unless one migrates like it did with BULLETKISS. Christ that sucks.

If the nickel test works out I think you'll fine with essure. The "funny" thing is before the followup the doc said he's never seen a tube unblocked after the procedure. He felt bad when he had to tell me the news that one side didn't take; like he jinxed me or something.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I've heard of women with nickel allergies getting the copper IUD without any problems and then again others that have. I think it mostly depends on severe your allergy is and maybe just some luck. An allergy to copper would be pretty rare/unlikely.

I mean really your non-hormonal options are barrier methods, methods like fertility awareness, copper IUD, Essure, and tubal ligation if that's what you're really set on. Of the more long-term methods like you said, I would think the IUD would be the easiest (in terms of the procedure itself) to try out and possibly remove if it doesn't work out for you. But that's up to you and what you want to deal with.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My nickel allergy is pretty severe. I get blisters and bubbles on my skin after just an hour of wearing lovely jewelry. I did an official skin test with my doctor and the skin test left a pretty massive welt that felt awful for weeks. However, i've got paragard and haven't had any problems. I dunno though, I suppose my cervix could be all allergy scarred but i'd never know and honestly, don't care.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tigntink posted:

My nickel allergy is pretty severe. I get blisters and bubbles on my skin after just an hour of wearing lovely jewelry. I did an official skin test with my doctor and the skin test left a pretty massive welt that felt awful for weeks. However, i've got paragard and haven't had any problems. I dunno though, I suppose my cervix could be all allergy scarred but i'd never know and honestly, don't care.

Yeah that's probably where the luck thing figures in. :v: I've heard some anecdotal stuff from women who get a rash on their abdomen just during their period and stuff like that, so I'd imagine your cervix is OK if you're not having symptoms.

I've never had a test, but I've had reactions to lovely jewelry too so it's possible I have a mild allergy myself but no problems from Paragard.

Erysipelothrix
May 5, 2012
So I had my appointment today and I guess some good news came out of it. My doctor recommended an IUD called Skyla which is similar to Mirena in that it contains hormones but it is smaller than both Mirena and the Paragard. However, since it's smaller, it only lasts 3 years. She will insert it while using an ultrasound to make sure it's placed properly. Unfortunately since Skyla is apparently imported from Europe somewhere it is backordered until at least November. :(

She did not want to place a Mirena IUD because of the size of my uterus and my history of expulsion. She also flat out refused to "do anything permanent" to anyone who isn't at least 35 years old with 2 kids unless they have some serious medical condition in which childbirth would be dangerous. So Essure isn't an option. I did ask about Implanon but since the Skyla IUD also lasts 3 yeas I figured the lower dose of hormones was a better option since I've had some problems with hormonal birth control in the past.

I've never heard of this Skyla IUD before, has anyone else?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Skyla is pretty new, it's pretty much made for women who haven't had kids yet so the insertion process is easier. I assume it lasts a couple years less than mirena simply because it holds less hormones?

Sorry about the wait for your IUD and the flat out (very badly reasoned) refusal from your gyno over Essure. :(

The 35+ age thing is think is already kind of sketch, but whatever, I get it. But requiring you have children is ridiculously outdated thinking to me.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kerfuffle posted:

Skyla is pretty new, it's pretty much made for women who haven't had kids yet so the insertion process is easier. I assume it lasts a couple years less than mirena simply because it holds less hormones?

Sorry about the wait for your IUD and the flat out (very badly reasoned) refusal from your gyno over Essure. :(

The 35+ age thing is think is already kind of sketch, but whatever, I get it. But requiring you have children is ridiculously outdated thinking to me.

Yeah, if you're really sure you want something permanent I think it would be worth looking into second (or multiple opinions). It might be tough, but some doctors are more open to it than others. It's kind of ridiculous that you'd have to wait until drat near peri-menopause and only then IF you have those two kids. Especially when I head over to the vasectomy thread and see 20-something year old dudes getting booked for surgery with no questions other than "What day is good for you?" :what:

But giving the IUD a go first seems like a good plan. And yes it has lower hormone levels than Mirena releasing about 14 micrograms of levonorgestrel a day when brand new, compared to 20 micrograms for a new Mirena.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Thank you for all the replies They've helped me relax and feel more confident about my options, especially regarding the copper IUD.

On a side-note, I've been off the pill for two weeks now (one as placebo) and holy hell I've had some of the worst headaches of my life this week. Four out of last five days I've had to leave work early because it's too painful to concentrate. I assume this is hormone withdrawal? During a placebo week I usually get more headaches and occasionally hot flashes, and while thankfully I don't have the hot flashes, I am getting the headache part twice over.

Ibuprofin works if I take more than the recommended dose, and I've been told not to use Excedrin for more than two days in a row (rebound headache risk), so has anyone had particular luck with other over-the-counter options? Or is this something I should be calling my doctor about if it continues to be this bad and impacting my job performance...I was thinking that if it's still terrible over the weekend to call on Monday but I don't know if it's "too soon" since it hasn't even been a month.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I've kind of become a headache/migraine expert thanks to my own hormonal headaches! Yay.. :shepicide:

Anyway, all pain relievers can cause rebound headaches if you take them a lot to my knowledge. I usually just use Excedrin myself, but I've also had good luck with stuff like regular aspirin by itself and Aleve. Downside to Aleve being it's longer lasting so you can't take it as often during the day. You could also try other things like applying an ice pack or heat, whichever feels best to you. If you can find anything that seems to trigger your headaches (caffeine, certain foods, eyestrain, etc.) try to avoid those things as they might be triggering you.

If you think you can hold out, I'd give it a little more time. The last time I went off the pill it was probably at least two weeks before I stopped getting the weird hormonal swings and everything felt like it hit an equilibrium. And not to say your headaches will last this long, but really it was several months before some of the more subtle side-effects of the pill went away for me.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 21, 2013

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

It's quite likely they are migraines. I would go ahead and see someone about it because they can potentially last a long time and there are other meds you could use that would be more effective and could break the headache cycle you can get into with the otc needs. I had migraines near daily for 3 months after stopping the patch. It was before I knew they were migraines, so I just knew that Aleve and the like didn't do much for them. It's quite likely I could have spent way les time in pain if I'd just gone in and gotten them diagnosed as migraines and been able to try taking proper migraine medication. Relpax and Imitrex are like magic for me now.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Who has been on Depo for a long time? I have been on it for at least 5 years. This week, my knees started to really ache whenever I run, and it reminded me about the bone density loss. I'm kinda freaking out that I've irreparably hosed up my bones somehow. Thing is, I have extremely painful heavy periods that also have the bonus effect of making my Crohn's Disease worse and the only thing that stops them completely is Depo. I've tried every pill known to man. And even taking the pills continuously still gave me breakthrough bleeding and pain. I really wish that I could get an endometrial oblation but I doubt that any doctor would ever agree to do the surgery on me. I don't know what to do. What's the closest thing to Depo? I know the Mirena thing supposedly is good, but its expensive and I don't know if I'd be covered. And if it didn't work out I would have to remove it. Sigh.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Maximusi posted:

Who has been on Depo for a long time? I have been on it for at least 5 years. This week, my knees started to really ache whenever I run, and it reminded me about the bone density loss. I'm kinda freaking out that I've irreparably hosed up my bones somehow. Thing is, I have extremely painful heavy periods that also have the bonus effect of making my Crohn's Disease worse and the only thing that stops them completely is Depo. I've tried every pill known to man. And even taking the pills continuously still gave me breakthrough bleeding and pain. I really wish that I could get an endometrial oblation but I doubt that any doctor would ever agree to do the surgery on me. I don't know what to do. What's the closest thing to Depo? I know the Mirena thing supposedly is good, but its expensive and I don't know if I'd be covered. And if it didn't work out I would have to remove it. Sigh.

The bone density loss has so far proven reversible. But I don't know over what time ranges.

I'd look at the Mirena seriously if I were you. Most insurance will cover it with no copay now due to the affordable care act. Insertion isn't exactly a blast, but it does a very good job at reducing or eliminating bleeding for the vast majority of women who use it, and it's good for 5 years without the bone density risk or weight gain of depo.

If you aren't sure about how your insurance will cover the Mirena, your doctor's office can call and check for you.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Just passed two months and one week with my Mirena and I can pretty safely say I have officially missed this month's period (~6 days late). I have no cramps, no spotting and have continued to lose weight. This IUD really just gets better and better. :swoon:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't had a period since July 2012. A friend of mine who had Mirena a while back said she didn't get a period again until her last year on it, and even then it was light.

Let us enjoy the period free times, friend. May they be joyous!

Fun fact: I moved back in March and I am not sure where the tampons are in the Walmart I go to because I've never had to buy them here!!

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

Geolicious posted:

A friend of mine who had Mirena a while back said she didn't get a period again until her last year on it, and even then it was light.

Thank you for saying this - it's something I've been wondering about. I've had my Mirena since the summer of 2008. Last year, my doctor (not the same one who inserted it) said that it had been approved for 7 years in the US now so I can wait till 2015 to switch it out. I haven't been having periods in the bleeding sense, but over the last 9 months or so I've noticed a lot more hormonal-ness, if that can be a word - I definitely have a monthly cycle of cramps, breast tenderness, and overreaction to things. So now I'm paranoid that I'm not protected anymore. Does anybody know if my paranoia is at all justified? I haven't been able to find a clear answer. My next annual appointment isn't due until November, so I've been planning to just wait for that and then ask her, but lately I've been wondering if I'm doing myself a disservice and need to go in sooner.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't heard of it being approved for 7 in the US yet. But that's just me.

I'm only in my second year of mine and I still get PMS type symptoms and cramps even without the bleeding.

The rate of hormone release goes from 20 mcgs during the first 5 years to 14 mcgs after that, but that is still in the clinical effectiveness range.

My opinion on medical questions is 'if you're worried, ask'. Your doctor works for you and is there to answer your questions.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Juniper posted:

Thank you for saying this - it's something I've been wondering about. I've had my Mirena since the summer of 2008. Last year, my doctor (not the same one who inserted it) said that it had been approved for 7 years in the US now so I can wait till 2015 to switch it out. I haven't been having periods in the bleeding sense, but over the last 9 months or so I've noticed a lot more hormonal-ness, if that can be a word - I definitely have a monthly cycle of cramps, breast tenderness, and overreaction to things. So now I'm paranoid that I'm not protected anymore. Does anybody know if my paranoia is at all justified? I haven't been able to find a clear answer. My next annual appointment isn't due until November, so I've been planning to just wait for that and then ask her, but lately I've been wondering if I'm doing myself a disservice and need to go in sooner.

All I can find says that it's approved for 7 in some other countries and they're doing studies in the U.S. about its efficacy over 7 years. But it doesn't seem like it's been officially approved for that yet, as all the official info I can find about Mirena still states 5 years.

I got a similar thing from my doctor about Paragard (oh it's approved for 10, maybe 12 or 15 years soon). I hope so! :)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My girlfriend who is using a Mirena has noticed a decrease in sex drive and thinning hair. The decrease in sex drive isn't huge so it's not that big of a problem, but she's pretty worried about the hair thing getting worse or being permanent. I mentioned switching to condoms but apparently it makes her periods much more bearable so she'd really like to keep it. Does anyone have any info regarding hair loss on Mirena? Will it get really bad? Will it grow back if she removes the IUD?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to say because everyone has different reactions to the hormones in any kind of hormonal birth control. I've heard of people having trouble with hair loss on things like Depo, the pill, ring, etc. I don't think there's anyway for us to predict how bad it might get either - it could continue as is, could get better as her body adjusts to the hormones, could get worse. If the Mirena is the thing causing the hair loss, it should grow back if the IUD is removed (not that I'm recommending one way or the other, just saying).

If she's just interested in skipping or making her periods lighter and isn't too attached to the whole IUD thing in itself, that can be done with just about any hormonal birth control.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Juniper posted:

Anecdotal, but my sister's boss got pregnant almost exactly five years from when she got Mirena put in - she was actually scheduled to have it out and then found out she was a few months pregnant and had a pretty terrible experience (she had to have a D&C and was in the hospital for a couple of days.) I know I personally will be swapping the thing out at 5 years. Not gonna mess with that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kimmalah posted:

Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to say because everyone has different reactions to the hormones in any kind of hormonal birth control. I've heard of people having trouble with hair loss on things like Depo, the pill, ring, etc. I don't think there's anyway for us to predict how bad it might get either - it could continue as is, could get better as her body adjusts to the hormones, could get worse. If the Mirena is the thing causing the hair loss, it should grow back if the IUD is removed (not that I'm recommending one way or the other, just saying).

If she's just interested in skipping or making her periods lighter and isn't too attached to the whole IUD thing in itself, that can be done with just about any hormonal birth control.

Thanks. As long as the hair loss isn't permanent it should be fine, I don't think her hair looks noticeably thin. Apparently the pill gives her nasty migraines so that's not an option.

comets!
Nov 25, 2004

BRICK DAVIS
So, my gyno offered me Mirena with virtually no discussion whatsoever (said it would be fine because I'm ok on the Orsithyia pill). Turns out my insurance will cover it 100% and, since I will probably be losing that insurance soon, the prospect of BC taken care of for 5 yrs is attractive.

I do feel a little weird that we didn't talk about it more, and I'm not sure how available she'll be before I go in for the procedure. They just told me to call them on the first day of my next period.

My BIGGEST worry is that when I was using the NuvaRing, I had constant UTIs for a year. Horrible. I know that Morena has a small string that hangs out in your vagina 24/7 - anyone know whether that could cause the same issue? I'm going to try and talk to my gyno again but just wondering if anyone here has had this issue with Mirena. I find a lot of people asking about it online, but this was the only relatively reputable info I found, and not super helpful: http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/mirena/urinary+tract+infection

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.

The Moon Monster posted:

Thanks. As long as the hair loss isn't permanent it should be fine, I don't think her hair looks noticeably thin. Apparently the pill gives her nasty migraines so that's not an option.

As a heads up, I switched to minipills because of clotting/migraine issues and I haven't had a headache or a migraine with 'em since. If she's still interested in trying pills at all that's always a possibility she could look into.

Also I feel like the POP crusader because I pretty much only post about them in this forum, haha. Still, I really love them and love not having terrible migraines, blood clots, or lovely periods. Hooray!

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

After my Essure procedure didn't take on one side I had the follow-up with the doc. He doesn't want to put another implant in there because he thinks it'll just do it again. So I'm getting a tubal ligation on the 8th because I want something permanent and non-hormonal.

My hubby also got a vasectomy a couple weeks ago so it's not like I HAVE to do this, but I'd just feel so much better knowing I did everything to prevent it. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather be super duper safe than sorry. If I get pregnant after we both got sterilized, that kid was meant to be and he's going to be a doctor and the President.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
I think I may have taken a pill too many during my cycle :ohdear:. Today is supposed to be the last day of my 21 pill Alesse pack, but I have none left (and I just noticed today instead of yesterday, when I should have remembered that I had 1 day left). I'm unsure what to do... My period has already started, and I have my next pack ready.

Should I ignore it and use condoms until I start my next pack in 7 days? Or take one from my next pack?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I think I may have taken a pill too many during my cycle :ohdear:. Today is supposed to be the last day of my 21 pill Alesse pack, but I have none left (and I just noticed today instead of yesterday, when I should have remembered that I had 1 day left). I'm unsure what to do... My period has already started, and I have my next pack ready.

Should I ignore it and use condoms until I start my next pack in 7 days? Or take one from my next pack?

There's technically nothing wrong with taking one too many, you just have to make sure you start your next pack on time (7 days of placebo or no pills, then start the next pack).

I think you were a Wednesday start, so you'll now be a Tuesday start, if I've read everything correctly.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!

Reformed Tomboy posted:

There's technically nothing wrong with taking one too many, you just have to make sure you start your next pack on time (7 days of placebo or no pills, then start the next pack).

I think you were a Wednesday start, so you'll now be a Tuesday start, if I've read everything correctly.

Actually, I just realized that I'm a big dumb-dumb :downs:. I always start on Tuesdays, so it's normal that I don't take a pill on the official first day of my period, i.e. Tuesday. Thank you for the epiphany, I must be tired or something :eng99:.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Well today marks 12 weeks since my Nexplanon insertion and annoyingly I started my first period since then on Sunday. It's been pretty light, but it's definitely a full-on period on not just spotting. I REALLY hope I get lucky and it ends in the next couple of days instead of lasting weeks or months. :(

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
Saw my OB/GYN today, we're trying another BC pill (Alesse this time) as a stop gap to try to control my periods, pelvic pain, and mega-cysts until I can get into to have a laparoscopy in December/January.

I never thought I'd be so happy to be told I needed surgery. I actually started happy crying and hugged my doctor.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Bamabalacha posted:

Saw my OB/GYN today, we're trying another BC pill (Alesse this time) as a stop gap to try to control my periods, pelvic pain, and mega-cysts until I can get into to have a laparoscopy in December/January.

I never thought I'd be so happy to be told I needed surgery. I actually started happy crying and hugged my doctor.
For what it's worth, I have been quite happy with one of the Alesse generics (Lutera). No real side-effects and my period itself got extremely light which I think is pretty cool. I don't know about the cyst control, I don't have the same pain I used to so I think it's helped, but I haven't had an ultrasound to confirm since I started taking Lutera because my health insurance is horrible.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

comets! posted:

So, my gyno offered me Mirena with virtually no discussion whatsoever (said it would be fine because I'm ok on the Orsithyia pill). Turns out my insurance will cover it 100% and, since I will probably be losing that insurance soon, the prospect of BC taken care of for 5 yrs is attractive.

I do feel a little weird that we didn't talk about it more, and I'm not sure how available she'll be before I go in for the procedure. They just told me to call them on the first day of my next period.

My BIGGEST worry is that when I was using the NuvaRing, I had constant UTIs for a year. Horrible. I know that Morena has a small string that hangs out in your vagina 24/7 - anyone know whether that could cause the same issue? I'm going to try and talk to my gyno again but just wondering if anyone here has had this issue with Mirena. I find a lot of people asking about it online, but this was the only relatively reputable info I found, and not super helpful: http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/mirena/urinary+tract+infection

You shouldn't have increased UTIs with Mirena and if you do it's incredibly unlikely that they're caused by Mirena and more likely due to another cause. The string is cut ~2cm from the opening of the cervix, and it usually will curl around the cervix so that it won't bother you or your partner. If it does, the strings can be trimmed.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

superbelch posted:

You shouldn't have increased UTIs with Mirena and if you do it's incredibly unlikely that they're caused by Mirena and more likely due to another cause. The string is cut ~2cm from the opening of the cervix, and it usually will curl around the cervix so that it won't bother you or your partner. If it does, the strings can be trimmed.

Yeah, I've never really had UTIs, but I was prone to yeast infections on the pill (which is another common problem with NuvaRing). Since I got my IUD I haven't had any problems with infections and I haven't suddenly started getting UTIs or anything. The strings are pretty "inert" and just kind of hang out way up by your cervix - half the time I can't feel them depending on where I am in my cycle. All the hormonal stuff will be way up in your uterus, which is semi-cordoned off from your vagina/vulva to keep stuff like bacteria out. In my (non-expert) opinion I think the problems with NuvaRing and mine with the pill have more to do with the hormones in them altering things like PH, bacterial flora, the amount of moisture down there, etc. than anything.

I also had a similar experience when I mentioned the possibility of getting a Mirena. My doctor got super excited and basically rushed through with testing and booking appointments when I really had just wanted to discuss my options with her. You could always try calling the office until you can get a hold of the doctor to discuss your concerns. Or if you can't do that, on the day of your insertion appointment, talk to them then. They're still probably going to do some preliminary stuff like taking your vitals and doing a pregnancy test, so there will be time to just say "Hey I have some questions before we do this." In my case, I chickened out of Mirena and went with a Paragard like 6 months later.

On another note, I'm at month 10 with the Paragard and it's great! Last period I had no cramps at all and while things were heavy it wasn't near the "bucket of blood at Carrie's prom" thing I had dealt with previously. Love, love, love this IUD. :)

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

comets! posted:

Also agreeing with above; I've always been really prone to UTIs, but I'm getting into my fifth month on Mirena and haven't had any UTI issues. If you do frequently get UTIs, if you can find a decent probiotic (or even just eat yogurt regularly), that helps a bit.

Also, just in the general topic, NPR just had a good article about IUDs (although I'm a bit biased; I'm a St. Louis gal, and it mentions a great study that Washington University did).

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/10/06/215491647/its-time-to-rediscover-the-iud-womens-health-advocates-say

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Hey goonettes, I'm going tomorrow morning to get my IUD put in (finally omg so excited). Please reassure me that it won't be so unbearably painful that I'm going to die on the table. I also have to go to work immediately afterwards, is this going to be a problem?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

silversiren posted:

Hey goonettes, I'm going tomorrow morning to get my IUD put in (finally omg so excited). Please reassure me that it won't be so unbearably painful that I'm going to die on the table. I also have to go to work immediately afterwards, is this going to be a problem?

I think I posted my whole insertion experience in this thread somewhere if you click the "?" under my name. It's been like 10 months ago so it may take some scrolling.

It's different for everyone, but for me it was basically just like 2 really, really strong menstrual cramps that kind of radiated up into my abdomen a bit (one for when they sounded my uterus and one for the actual IUD going into place). It was more uncomfortable than painful really and it just kind of made me flinch/catch my breath. All of which I realize may not be reassuring but keep in mind that both things only last a few seconds each and you'll get a little break between them while they get the IUD ready to go in. For me that was enough time for the crampy feeling to calm down. Really, the best way I can sum the whole thing up: I was scared of the pain too but once my insertion was over and I was getting dressed my main thought was "Wow, that was it?"

As for going to work after, once again that varies person to person and the kind of job you have might also be a factor to consider. I had cramps the rest of the day and didn't really feel like moving around too much. I don't think it'll hurt the IUD or anything, but if you have the kind of job that's hard to do when you're having a bad crampy period (like you're moving a lot or wearing tight uniform pants) then working afterwards might be uncomfortable. I personally felt perfectly normal the day after though.

My amateur recommendation would be to keep a steady dose of ibuprofen in your system and get your hands on those menstrual heat pads you can stick on to your underwear. You can usually find them in the pharmacy aisle around other heat patches, joint braces, bandages etc. Those things were absolute lifesavers for me at work during my first few Paragard periods. And be prepared for some bleeding for a few days at the very least with some pantiliners or pads around. Nobody ever warned me about that part.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Got a Mirena put in yesterday, which is super exiting to finally have it in. I wanted to get one last year but the doctor I was at told me she ethically couldn't because I may meet some man who makes me change my mind about wanting children (no joke), despite having been (and still in) a long term, monogamous relationship. So when my pill script ran out instead of just calling the doctor for a refill I made an appointment with another doctor to get this in. My insertion was more painful than all of you make it sound, but maybe I'm just a wuss. I've had some pretty mild-average cramping today and no bleeding so far but I'm sure there's still time for it.

The paperwork I was given seemed to have really dramatic (or dated) suggestions for after care (No driving for 24 hours after insertion, stay on bed rest) and I'm sure it's been answered a million times, but I'll ask anyways, when can the bf and I test this thing out? :pervert:

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

CeramicPig posted:

Got a Mirena put in yesterday, which is super exiting to finally have it in. I wanted to get one last year but the doctor I was at told me she ethically couldn't because I may meet some man who makes me change my mind about wanting children (no joke), despite having been (and still in) a long term, monogamous relationship. So when my pill script ran out instead of just calling the doctor for a refill I made an appointment with another doctor to get this in. My insertion was more painful than all of you make it sound, but maybe I'm just a wuss. I've had some pretty mild-average cramping today and no bleeding so far but I'm sure there's still time for it.

The paperwork I was given seemed to have really dramatic (or dated) suggestions for after care (No driving for 24 hours after insertion, stay on bed rest) and I'm sure it's been answered a million times, but I'll ask anyways, when can the bf and I test this thing out? :pervert:

I'm with you - it was more owie for me than most have stated in here. Physically you can test it out whenever you feel comfortable doing so. Birth control wise you're good after 7 days.
"Hormonal IUDs are effective immediately if inserted within seven days after the start of your period. If you have Mirena or Skyla inserted at any other time during your menstrual cycle, use another method of birth control like a condom, female condom, or spermicide if you have vaginal intercourse during the first week after insertion. Protection will begin after seven days."
From here: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/iud-4245.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

CeramicPig posted:

the doctor I was at told me she ethically couldn't because I may meet some man who makes me change my mind about wanting children

Glad you moved on from that doc because not only is this line of reasoning paternalistic bullshit, it's also completely unnecessary paternalistic bullshit since you can still have children after having the Mirena. So in addition to being an rear end in a top hat, she was also uninformed about IUDs. Not someone you would have wanted doing an insertion.

• Locked thread