Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Double post, but a couple of days apart so whatever.

Finally got the bedroom setup I'd been Jonesin' for. Now my LPs are totally unbound by such things as roommates or time of day or whether I need my desk or sex is happening. It's pretty awesome.

The table's a Harman/Kardon T20 and the subwoofer's a Polk DSW400. Both were obtained separately on craigslist for $60 each. The sub's got a remote so I can mess with the bass without having to affect everything else- which is handy when it gets late. The receiver's the same Nakamichi Receiver 2 that was powering my main setup before it got benched by the CR-2040. It's pretty fantastic for a bedroom rig tho.

The T20's a semi-automatic, so it won't cue up an LP, but the arm is supposed to return on its own when it finishes playing a side or you press the 'return' button. When I bought the table, everything worked fine on it except for the auto-return. I figured it'd be an easy enough fix and chanced on it. When I got the table open, it turned out that the actuator mechanism that controls the auto-return had been totally removed. Fortunately, everything else is in fairly great shape, including the anti-skate, so I'm not too bummed. At $60, I don't feel like I got super ripped off or anything. If anything, it's basically like the ProJect I'd been planning to get with the added bonus of onboard speed controls, though I admit that the button-to-nowhere is a bit doofy. Aside from the very slight yellowing, it's in solid cosmetic shape- including the currently-in-storage dustcover. The phone camera makes it look a lot yellower than it does in real life.

The bookshelf speakers are Realistic Minimus 7s. I love love love these little speakers. I grew up with my dad having a pair that got used for different things (currently surrounds in his HT) and I can't understate how remarkably versatile and great-sounding (if used right) they are. They absolutely NEED to be paired with a decent subwoofer for stereo though (crossover no lower than 80Hz), but it's really easy to make them blend together. I've got these crossed at 100Hz and it's pretty seamless. I think they look really killer too- they've got a modern/timeless thing going that makes them blend into contemporary decor really well, despite their external design being virtually unchanged since the mid/late-70s.

I got these two for ~$50 off of Ebay, but they're pretty easy to find on craiglsist/at yardsales for much, much less (though often not in great cosmetic shape). Eventually I plan to build a cheap, but fancy-looking, 5.1 setup out of Minimus 7s (Minimi?) and another Polk sub in the living room. Honestly, they're one of my go-to recommendations for people looking to build a small, inexpensive setup- particularly for a desktop or bedroom. My two big caveats are that they're not the most sensitive speaker, so they can be weird to pair with other models/brands if you're trying to use them as satellites, and their sound can come off as tinny if you play them loud and uncrossed without a sub to handle the bottom end. They're supposed to reach 50Hz, but I'm pretty sure that's a lie.

One last glam shot :swoon:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

I gotta quit accumulating this stuff....in the past three weeks I've picked up a Yamaha CR-820 (replaced lamps, cleaned), a Pioneer SX-737 (replaced lamps and adjusted DC bias), a Pioneer SX-780 (resoldered cold joints, cleaned and deoxited), refoamed two pairs of vintage Cerwin Vegas and refinished the cabinets on a pair of Pinnacle PN8+s. By far the best score? Polk Monitor 7bs with the Peerless tweeter.

Goddamn this thread.

Edit: Forgot about the Nakamichi SR-4a I found on the curb with a free sign on it. Those are the best.

Gomiboy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 11, 2013

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
drat. How have I not seen this thread until now.

So this is my setup currently:

Pioneer SA-8800 (need to find some replacement knobs but I can't bring myself to spend ~$20 for each of them), Celestion SL6si, Technics SL-1200MK2 w/ Shure M97xE cartridge

I've recently added some Celestion 5s on top which sound a lot better with stuff w/ noisy guitars

I also recently picked up a pair of 1976 Klipsch Heresy Is that I had to sell since I realized they sound awful with solid state.

Right now, I'm trying to build a second setup. So far I've got a Yamaha YP-211 and a Sony STR-7055

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Here's my setup at the moment.

Table is a MCS 6602, which the way I understand it it's pretty much a re-branded SL-2000 with different knobs. It's pretty nice so far, just needs a new stylus and maybe a new cartridge eventually.

Pioneer SX-750. For 25 buck at a thrift store and the only problem being peeling wood grain I can't really complain. Also heavy tuning knobs made of metal are the best.

My speakers are poo poo at the moment and not even worth mentioning, but next weekend I'll likely go and pick up some new ones. As lucky as I've been with vintage stuff I kinda just want to get new speakers for my setup.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Good knobfeel is crucial.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Yep, that is why I love my SA-8800, nice big volume knob.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Turntable/Vinyl/2-channel Stereo/Vintage Thread: How does your knob feel?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
To those out of the loop, there's a whole youtube channel dedicated to knob feel - http://www.youtube.com/knobfeel

Serioustalk: do you guys prefer smooth knobs or clicks? My favorite all time knob was on my Kenwood KA-3500. Super giant knob with the most satisfying click imaginable.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

BANME.sh posted:

To those out of the loop, there's a whole youtube channel dedicated to knob feel - http://www.youtube.com/knobfeel

Serioustalk: do you guys prefer smooth knobs or clicks? My favorite all time knob was on my Kenwood KA-3500. Super giant knob with the most satisfying click imaginable.

Wow, those are some of the most impressive knobs I've ever seen!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

These videos are hilarious!

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

Kenwood makes some good knobs, tuner cord not so much.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Cross-posted from that turntable forum you all pretend not to be members of:

Decided to give a quick rundown of the way I cleaned out the ball bearings for my 4HF which has increased it's performance drastically.

Everything that can be taken off is off.

The unmistakably Garrard spindle bearing just like it's bigger brothers. The speed control cage in the top left.

The motor start linkage has already been taken off the tonearm pivot in the top left. I decided not to unsolder any wires for this job.

This is the bottom of the tonearm bearing, there are ball races on the top and bottom. I suggest you complete this entire procedure inside one of those plastic storage containers. There are 12 ball bearings on the top, and 12 on the bottom. The heavy old Garrard grease held them in long enough for me to get them out with a magnetic screwdriver.

The same thing is mirrored on the top side, I remover all the bearings, then there was enough slack in the tonearm wires to remove the entire assembly, I cleaned all the old grease which had turned into a Vaseline type gunk. There are a number of small washers stacked above the bearings. I cleaned the ball race, then put all the balls back in. I dropped some 3 in 1 oil in and popped the tonearm back down. I flipped the entire thing over and then inserted the lower balls ensuring that I held the tonearm in so the top side balls did not fall out. The whole thing is secured with a circlip, and the motor start linkage is put back on and tightened.

This tonearm had previously had difficulty tracking well below 4 grams, and even then would stick on some pressings with finer groove pitch. This has now been eliminated entirely, and the arm has complete freedom throughout the entire range. I am not very good with this kind of thing so I had put it off for some time, but the entire operation was quite easy and achievable by anyone with a little patience. This is a must do piece of maintenance for all 4HFs in as found condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NjPFPPjNFs
A short video showing the increased performance of this turntable.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ron Burgundy posted:

I dropped some 3 in 1 oil in and popped the tonearm back down.

Nice to see, thanks for posting pics and all!

I'm not an expert in bearing grease, but isn't it common to use something a bit thicker than 3 in 1? I'd be worried about having to do the whole procedure over again in a year or so, if it dries out.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
These old Garrards really need a going over about once a year anyway. Might go something a bit thicker like hydraulic oil next time if they are really dry.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I have a strange issue on a SL-1200 I just picked up. No matter what I set the anti-skate on the tone arm keeps quickly moving to the outside. I can't even queue properly because of this issue.

Here is the video of what is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_eHihBeic8

No matter what I set the anti-skate at, it does this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooLShack posted:

I have a strange issue on a SL-1200 I just picked up. No matter what I set the anti-skate on the tone arm keeps quickly moving to the outside. I can't even queue properly because of this issue.

Here is the video of what is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_eHihBeic8

No matter what I set the anti-skate at, it does this.

I have to ask: have you checked that the turntable is absolutely level with a bubble level? Not the record, the table. Never mind, it moves so fast it'd have to be noticeable by eye.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What should I be doing to prevent pops and clicks when playing new vinyl? My dry anti-static brush isn't getting the job done, but I don't have any old and grimy records, so I don't think I need any of the expensive tools.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Figured the issue out, appears the tone arm is bad. I followed the directions in this youtube and it's fixed for now.
Time to order a new tone arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dddnksXI_LE

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 17, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

What should I be doing to prevent pops and clicks when playing new vinyl? My dry anti-static brush isn't getting the job done, but I don't have any old and grimy records, so I don't think I need any of the expensive tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6gQ6nurR8

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
e: wrong thread

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I made a gallon of record cleaning fluid with a gallon distilled water, 32oz 90% isopropyl alcohol and a drop or two of Dawn dish liquid and use it with a microfiber brush. It seems to get the dirt out of the grooves well enough.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

eddiewalker posted:

New vinyl shouldn't really have pops and clicks. Is there visible dust on it that the brush doesn't pick up? If there's no dust and you still hear pops, you might have gotten a dud record. It happens sometimes. A lot of vinyl press shops are very small these days, and might have quality control issues. Try a different (new) record and if that one is better, return the one with the pops. My brother's band got a whole bad pressing once, where all the copies sounded like crap and it had to be re-pressed.

Or, I guess you could have some problem with your stylus or cartridge...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 17, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Retarded Pimp posted:

I made a gallon of record cleaning fluid with a gallon distilled water, 32oz 90% isopropyl alcohol and a drop or two of Dawn dish liquid and use it with a microfiber brush. It seems to get the dirt out of the grooves well enough.

Since this was about new records I assumed it was just loose poo poo from the pressing plant, not in-groove poo poo. :shrug:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The perennial favourite for blame is the dubious "mould release agent" for which no one on the internet seems to be able to provide any concrete information about, including those who claim to have been in the industry.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty funny that despite the resurgence in vinyl today there seems to be more quality control issues now than ever. Stubborn pops and clicks, visible gunk stuck in the grooves from the factory, spindle holes too small, pressed off center, etc. Buying new albums seems like a crapshoot most of the time

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah I've had some real garbage from the factory. A copy of a death cab album (narrow stairs, I think?) had a bunch of poo poo in it from the factory. Cleaned up ok, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've seen what basically amounts to tiny bits of vinyl, I'm assuming from either the hole or the rim :shrug: Nothing a little water didn't take care of.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If any of you are ever in Nashville on a Friday at 11am, United Record Pressing, both the oldest and largest remaining pressing plant, does one tour a week and it's well worth the $10.

I took some pictures, but the receptionist leading the tour said it was the largest group she had ever had, so I don't think I got enough good shots to warrant thread.

Another company within walking distance takes the source audio and cuts it into a "lacquer," which is a metal plate covered in nail polish-like layer. URP takes the lacquer and copies it into a reverse plate suitable for pressing vinyl. It's a process involving vats of molten nickel and tours don't show that for liability, I assume. It's all done in the basement somewhere.

These are those resulting metal plates ready to be pull and installed on a press. The guide swore the first Beatles plates were in there somewhere, but who knows.

Labels are printed on site and pulled from the same room.

Vinyl pellets that look like rabbit food go in a hopper.

URP runs just over a dozen of these machines, which haven't been made since before CDs were invented.

All of the steps from pellets to completed record happen in one machine. The pellets are melted into a hockey puck sized blob, then labels are stuck on. Did you know theres no adhesive on a record label and its attached before the record is pressed? Then that puck gets pressed into the nickel plate from the shelf, cooled so it releases without deformation, then trimmed and dropped in a stack.

The pressing:

The trimming:

The fabled Release Agent from last page in this thread:

Visual inspection and packaging:

QA. There were two of these guys. One was just added because this is URP's biggest selling year ever. They take the initial test pressing, then pull periodic samples and listen to the records *all the way* through. Since URP will take runs as small as 100 copies, I imagine he's had to sit through some awful music. The other guy said he had to listen to the newest Justin Timberlake album 400 times because the run was so large.

Jack White's studio and small record shop, Third Man is right down the street. Odd tidbit: TMR pressings while on machines were the only thing strictly off limits to photography.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 20, 2013

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
First pic is wrong, supposed to be metal plates.

That tour looks cool as hell, and I can't imagine how horrible it must be to listen to a complete album more than once if it sucks. You'd think they could take a good play, put it into a computer and a program would do the rest on the other playings.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

Blistex posted:

That tour looks cool as hell, and I can't imagine how horrible it must be to listen to a complete album more than once if it sucks. You'd think they could take a good play, put it into a computer and a program would do the rest on the other playings.

I would imagine that every single pressed record sounds ever so slightly different that it's hard to quantify, for a computer, what is acceptable and what isn't.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
You'd think that there would be a program that would take the waveform of the song on the good play-through and use it as a comparison. As long as the next records being tested fell within a certain percent of that waveform, "good to go". Then again this probably exists, but that guy wants to keep his job and suppresses any discussion on the topic at work.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The receptionist basically said, "Every way we've tried to improve on this process has produced a poorer result. Our newest machines are from the early 80s, and our oldest are from when pressing vinyl was first automated in the 40s. The oldest machines are our most reliable."

Human inspection seemed like a big priority, and since they make 40% of the new vinyl for sale, it seems to work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Finally purchased a new amplifier for my 70s Optonica turntable to pair with, rather than a modern multichannel amp.

My first Sansui - an AU-2200 (I was hoping the incorrect model number on the listing would lower the bid count, but looks like I got it for around the average price). http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111188646596?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Looks to be in good condition and it's not far away which is always a good thing. Now to find a nice pair of sensitive speakers to go with it. Hoping it sounds comparable to my housemates Technics SU-8055 as that's been a really nice amp and was a similar price.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
A bunch of new vinyl I just bought is kind of warped. How much warp is too much? The cartridge moves up and down almost a 1/4 inch per revolution on some of the outer tracks. The damper brush on my m97x seems to take care of it, so the records play. Should I try any of the oven tricks?

One record is so visibly warped that I'd consider returning it if I hadn't already flown several states away with it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Our newest machines are from the early 80s, and our oldest are from when pressing vinyl was first automated in the 40s. The oldest machines are our most reliable."

This makes sense, the SMTs are nice machines, but they are essentially workshop presses with some automation attached. I imagine the earlier machines were custom built from the ground up. Nice tour photos though, it's great to see a plant like that still running. There are numerous videos on the internet showing the chemical bath stage if you are interested.

eddiewalker posted:

A bunch of new vinyl I just bought is kind of warped. How much warp is too much?

Any warp is too much, a record should be perfectly flat. Because there is only a handful of pressing plants making all the new records now, the QC has slipped.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
To be fair, they sat in my rental car all day at work. Covered garage, but it was still a warm day.

Sandwich them between 2 sheets of glass, oven on as low as it goes until the glass falls together, remove and cool?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I've never really successfully pulled it off to be honest. I've tried a few times with the glass and sun :australia: method, but they never came out totally flat. It's supposed to deform the grooves a little bit. There's definitely an art to it, and I suggest you experiment with some rubbish records first.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
My Technics 1210 MkII has a broke lifter thing that is on the tone arm. Is there anywhere I can get this piece without buying a whole new tone arm?
Excuse the dust, just pulled it out from a cabinet I had it in and it doesn't have a cover.

TooLShack posted:

Figured the issue out, appears the tone arm is bad. I followed the directions in this youtube and it's fixed for now.
Time to order a new tone arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dddnksXI_LE

Jesus Christ, I just looked at this video and tried this test. Apparently the previous owner already loosened it, probably masking the bearing damage from however he broke the lift arm, and the bearing assembly definitely has been mangled. gently caress! I can't afford a god drat arm right now and I just want to play some music.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 22, 2013

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My Technics 1210 MkII has a broke lifter thing that is on the tone arm. Is there anywhere I can get this piece without buying a whole new tone arm?
Excuse the dust, just pulled it out from a cabinet I had it in and it doesn't have a cover.

Jesus Christ, I just looked at this video and tried this test. Apparently the previous owner already loosened it, probably masking the bearing damage from however he broke the lift arm, and the bearing assembly definitely has been mangled. gently caress! I can't afford a god drat arm right now and I just want to play some music.

Make your own then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Holy poo poo, haha. That's pretty awesome.