Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

silverhawk79 posted:

What are some good effects pedals for bass? I've currently got a Sansamp Para Driver DI box and a Bass Big Muff Pi, but is there something else that's "essential"? I'm interested in a compression pedal too.

Get a chorus pedal for your post-punk wank sessions. Channel your inner talentless shithead and play like Peter Hook.

e: and i mean that in the nicest way possible (and i'm a talentless shithead so w/e)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Envelope filter and a good octave pedal.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Any good music shops around? A good guitar tech will set it up super smooth for cheap. $25 around here.
I can't believe I didn't think of that. There is one literally around the corner from my work. Dropped it off this morning.

Thanks Thumposaurus too, but my bass knowledge isn't enough to know exactly what you were saying so I'll let the professionals do the work.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

silverhawk79 posted:

What are some good effects pedals for bass? I've currently got a Sansamp Para Driver DI box and a Bass Big Muff Pi, but is there something else that's "essential"? I'm interested in a compression pedal too.

Chorus, delay, or reverb just to help flesh out the sound a bit.

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.

Stravinsky posted:

Chorus, delay, or reverb just to help flesh out the sound a bit.

I.e., remove all definition ;)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Crossovers are glorious if you like effected bass. I run some pretty complex patches, and most of them have a ~120hz crossover so I can mono-fy and compress the sub bass while doing all kinds of wacky poo poo with the top end. https://soundcloud.com/jonny290/shadow-of-moon is a good example I think, that sub is dead center but you can pretty clearly hear the high end panning and moving. (btw, every non-drum sound on this is my Brice 6 string through Guitar Rig)

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
Some dedicated bass effects have blend controls or crossovers built in to help them work better. MXR's bass pedals work really well because they pretty much all let you adjust the effect/dry ratio. Having that bottom end go unaffected is very important on bass. If you want to mess with lots of effects you'll want to invest in a crossover at some point.

I'd recommend getting a good compressor as well.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

cactuscarpet posted:

I like my bass to sound as murky and distant as possible.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Jonny 290 posted:

Crossovers are glorious if you like effected bass. I run some pretty complex patches, and most of them have a ~120hz crossover so I can mono-fy and compress the sub bass while doing all kinds of wacky poo poo with the top end. https://soundcloud.com/jonny290/shadow-of-moon is a good example I think, that sub is dead center but you can pretty clearly hear the high end panning and moving. (btw, every non-drum sound on this is my Brice 6 string through Guitar Rig)

If I added a crossover to my effects loop, would it be possible to uh... recombine? the two signals before they hit the return on the amp? Most of my pedals are good about not wiping out the sub-bass, but I'd like to use some patches via Logic.

It (logic) works fine for a guitar, but makes my bass sound anemic because it kills most of the low frequencies (even through logic's "bass amp") and I think a crossover may solve this problem? Basically I want to send those highs to logic and keep all my precious lows away from it, while only using one amp. Am I completely misunderstanding this? Please school me.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Can anyone recommend any good EQ and compression pedals for bass? I just got my hands on a '69 Sunn head and I love the tone but it's only got bass and treble knobs and I want mids, dammit.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

cactuscarpet posted:

Please. Ever see Isis' Jeff Caxide or Doug Wimbush live? Tons of modulation effects, monstrous tone. It's all how you apply it.

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Can anyone recommend any good EQ and compression pedals for bass? I just got my hands on a '69 Sunn head and I love the tone but it's only got bass and treble knobs and I want mids, dammit.

For the EQ you can use a dedicated EQ pedal or an outboard preamp. I prefer the preamps, as to my ears the EQ on them tends to be a little more musical sounding than most 7-band graphic EQ pedals. I use an MXR Bass DI+, which has a 3-band EQ on it. Hit the Color switch and it cuts out all the mids, though. You could also run a rack EQ if you want lots of control.

You can also tweak your amp to get a more midrangey sound, sort of. If you cut both the bass and the treble and boost the overall volume, you'll have a pseudo mid boost. It isn't very flexible, unfortunately.

For a compressor, try a Markbass Compressore. The Compressore is a tube compressor. Tubes compress the signal slightly differently than solid state circuits. To my ears they usually have a little more midrange and a color to them. It's like tube amps vs. solid state, though more subtle. You'll have to plug it in using the supplied adapter. The other one I'd look at is the MXR Bass Comp. I've been very pleased with all of my MXR pedals. The compressor uses strictly solid state circuitry. It takes up less space on the floor than the Markbass. It doesn't really color the signal so much as bring out some of those frequencies that you are missing.

Note that if you crank your tube amp up a ways, you'll actually get natural compression out of your tubes and likely won't need a compressor at those volumes.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
I'm looking to hire for money a bassist to add parts to some songs/chord progressions. More info here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423187&pagenumber=3#post420316837

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ericadia posted:

If I added a crossover to my effects loop, would it be possible to uh... recombine? the two signals before they hit the return on the amp? Most of my pedals are good about not wiping out the sub-bass, but I'd like to use some patches via Logic.

It (logic) works fine for a guitar, but makes my bass sound anemic because it kills most of the low frequencies (even through logic's "bass amp") and I think a crossover may solve this problem? Basically I want to send those highs to logic and keep all my precious lows away from it, while only using one amp. Am I completely misunderstanding this? Please school me.

Sure, it'd be easy! You just want a combiner or 2 channel mixdown. All of the magic is done when you split it out, then you just combine the two, you get your full freq range back.

You do need to keep an eye on phasing of the sub and main tones, but even then that can be used to great effect.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
I bought a used copy of Bass Grooves and wouldn't you know it, the drat thing came without a CD. Anyone know where I can pick one up without having to buy a whole nother copy of the book? I'm really excited to use it, because my rhythm/groove could definitely use some work, and its hard to pick that up from just sheet music.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Macavity posted:

I bought a used copy of Bass Grooves and wouldn't you know it, the drat thing came without a CD. Anyone know where I can pick one up without having to buy a whole nother copy of the book? I'm really excited to use it, because my rhythm/groove could definitely use some work, and its hard to pick that up from just sheet music.

Did you buy it from amazon? If so let them know. Their customer service is fantastic.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Macavity posted:

I bought a used copy of Bass Grooves and wouldn't you know it, the drat thing came without a CD. Anyone know where I can pick one up without having to buy a whole nother copy of the book?

drat, I hope I don't have the same problem, I ordered a used copy too!

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

Did you buy it from amazon? If so let them know. Their customer service is fantastic.

I did, but I bought it from one of the marketplace sellers, so I believe my request will go to them. I don't know if I'll be able to get a refund/send it back, and if not, I'd like to have a backup plan.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
You basically have Amazon marketplace sellers by the balls, so you shouldn't find any problems with getting that swapped out.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Neat, I was actually listening to the CD during lunch. Although the book is the most valuable item in the package it's nice to try out the CD on repeat for each lesson.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Anyone have any compressor pedals they're feeling awesome about recently?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Macavity posted:

Do yourself a huge favor and get OfficeMax to spiral bind it for you.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

Fun Shoe
That's a good idea. How does that work, anyway? Do they just chop off the binding and then poke holes in it or something?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Jonny 290 posted:

Sure, it'd be easy! You just want a combiner or 2 channel mixdown. All of the magic is done when you split it out, then you just combine the two, you get your full freq range back.

You do need to keep an eye on phasing of the sub and main tones, but even then that can be used to great effect.

Excellent. From doing a little research on the topic, it looks like the Rolls SX21 would work for my crossover needs, and a Morely ABY selector/combiner would work for my combiner needs. Any recommendations or words of caution? Ideally I'd like these two components to be as transparent as possible, but I read one review of the SX21 that said it can color sound a little.

In personal bass news: I no longer hate my Platinum Warlock bass. It's been years since I've replaced the strings because drat I have hated this bass for a long time, but I restrung it with super slinkys and brought the pickups up a little and I'm now getting shockingly good tone out of it through my new bass amp. As good, if not better than my Ibanez SRX650, with the bonus of not having the lovely Ibanez active preamp that plagues some of the mid-tier Ibanez basses. My band isn't really a uh.. dark and thorny group, but I kinda want to use the Warlock as my main now. Maybe I could have it repainted with a candyland mural to soften its edge a little.

js86
Jul 22, 2012

Noise Machine posted:

Anyone have any compressor pedals they're feeling awesome about recently?

I still love my Aphex Punch Factory. The old version is nice, but I haven't had a chance to try the newer one.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Macavity posted:

That's a good idea. How does that work, anyway? Do they just chop off the binding and then poke holes in it or something?

Pretty much, yeah.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ericadia posted:

My band isn't really a uh.. dark and thorny group, but I kinda want to use the Warlock as my main now. Maybe I could have it repainted with a candyland mural to soften its edge a little.
Ironic use of pointy or 80's guitars is the Next Big Thing, get on it now.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Remulak posted:

Ironic use of pointy or 80's guitars is the Next Big Thing, get on it now.

well in that case...

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I rebuilt this Warlock and painted it seafoam green with pearloid accents to combat the pointyness.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Thumposaurus posted:

I rebuilt this Warlock and painted it seafoam green with pearloid accents to combat the pointyness.

It's amazing how much this disarms the metalness of this bass. Is that the stock B.C. Rich headstock? How old is this thing?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Figured I'd ask this question here even though it's about guitar... So I've been playing bass for like 18 years or so, and a friend of mine who's moving away recently gave me her guitar. I've always wanted to pick up a bit and I do know a thing or two, but never really bothered learning technique aside from a few songs. Now that I actually own a guitar I might as well try to learn, but being a bassist, transitioning has been tough so far.

It's not even that I try to play it like a bass (still getting used to a pick though, I've always been a filthy fingering pickless bassist). My issue is finger position. Every time I try to read a chord in a tab, I end up muting at least one of the strings I'm trying to play because my fingers are so used to the extra space between strings. It's like I just don't have enough space for it, and I'm not even fat fingered. Any suggestions on either finger exercises or resources on finger positioning specifically for long-time bassists trying to learn guitar?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Best I can figure it's early 80's vintage. It's a NJ series. I originally just bid in the body on eBay but the seller threw in the neck for free claiming it was twisted. I haven't noticed anything wrong with it.
The inlay on the headstock is nicely done in pearliod too. I had to replace the dot inlays too.
Oh and it also had the remnants of a kahler trem install that the route had been plugged.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Kim Deal once said, "don't use pointy guitars, kids, you'll get a VD"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Justinguitar is the go-to recommendation for learning guitar, have a look through some of the introductory videos, especially the ones about finger placement.

Guitar is a bit different to bass, the general rule is that you should be pretty more with the tips of your fingers, so less of the finger is coming close to the strings and so they're generally approaching from a height instead of coming in low (if you get me) so you get better clearance. You relax these rules later when you get the technique down and move on to better control, but that's the basic picture. Fret as close to the frets as you can too, and make sure the action isn't too high.

Chords are a good exercise to get clean fingering, because you can immediately hear if you're touching something you shouldn't. You could try this for a drill

code:
-------------------------
-----------------1-2-3-4-
---------1-2-3-4---------
-1-2-3-4-----------------
yeah I know... but the idea is to keep every finger in place until you have to move it, so you end up with every finger pressing down on the bottom string, then you keep the last three there while the first finger moves to the next string, then the second finger follows, and so on. Try and make the minimum necessary movement to do this, so you're being really economical, almost like you're sneaking your fingers onto the next string. You could vary this so your fingers move in a different order, like moving your third finger first is tough going.

You'll get used to it though, for reals. And with guitar you need to do a lot of muting anyway, so you'll get used to making your fingers get in the right position for whatever's going on

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Justinguitar is the go-to recommendation for learning guitar, have a look through some of the introductory videos, especially the ones about finger placement.

Guitar is a bit different to bass, the general rule is that you should be pretty more with the tips of your fingers, so less of the finger is coming close to the strings and so they're generally approaching from a height instead of coming in low (if you get me) so you get better clearance. You relax these rules later when you get the technique down and move on to better control, but that's the basic picture. Fret as close to the frets as you can too, and make sure the action isn't too high.

Chords are a good exercise to get clean fingering, because you can immediately hear if you're touching something you shouldn't. You could try this for a drill

code:
yeah I know... but the idea is to keep every finger in place until you have to move it, so you end up with every finger pressing down on the bottom string, then you keep the last three there while the first finger moves to the next string, then the second finger follows, and so on. Try and make the minimum necessary movement to do this, so you're being really economical, almost like you're sneaking your fingers onto the next string. You could vary this so your fingers move in a different order, like moving your third finger first is tough going.

You'll get used to it though, for reals. And with guitar you need to do a lot of muting anyway, so you'll get used to making your fingers get in the right position for whatever's going on

When you do this drill on bass you can also practices your rakes when descending on the strings.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Has anyone had their hands on Fender's reissue Starcaster basses yet, from their Modern Player line? Youtube videos are nice but there's only so much that can be learned from a video of a guy playing, especially through a $3,000 amp.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Revvik posted:

Has anyone had their hands on Fender's reissue Starcaster basses yet, from their Modern Player line? Youtube videos are nice but there's only so much that can be learned from a video of a guy playing, especially through a $3,000 amp.

Nah, but that's interesting. They reissued the coronado as well. Seems like short-scale hollowbodies are starting to become the new thing...

If there's a guitar center anywhere close by, I'm sure they'd have one on the floor that you could mess around with.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Nah, but that's interesting. They reissued the coronado as well. Seems like short-scale hollowbodies are starting to become the new thing...

If there's a guitar center anywhere close by, I'm sure they'd have one on the floor that you could mess around with.

Yeah, about five minutes away and I haven't seen one. My local's bass selection is pretty uninspiring, as far as new stuff goes.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Bonk posted:

Figured I'd ask this question here even though it's about guitar... So I've been playing bass for like 18 years or so, and a friend of mine who's moving away recently gave me her guitar. I've always wanted to pick up a bit and I do know a thing or two, but never really bothered learning technique aside from a few songs. Now that I actually own a guitar I might as well try to learn, but being a bassist, transitioning has been tough so far.

It's not even that I try to play it like a bass (still getting used to a pick though, I've always been a filthy fingering pickless bassist). My issue is finger position. Every time I try to read a chord in a tab, I end up muting at least one of the strings I'm trying to play because my fingers are so used to the extra space between strings. It's like I just don't have enough space for it, and I'm not even fat fingered. Any suggestions on either finger exercises or resources on finger positioning specifically for long-time bassists trying to learn guitar?

As a former primary bassist / noodling guitarist, I ran into the same issue. My solution back in the day was to buy an acoustic 12 string... and pull half the strings off. I still have it strung that way to this day.

(Don't do this)

The thing I had to specifically force myself to do, and I spent hours hammering on for the first couple of months I was re-introducing myself to guitar more formally this year was this: get up on the tips of your fingers. Usually, bassists use a bit more of tip/pad in their string touch because of the inherent need for more force on a bass string. You do not need this on guitar, especially if you have the forearm of a bassist (i.e. plenty of strength). Get up on the tips.

To go nuts and hammer this home, and at the same time start working towards speed improvements, and string and fret spacing, I would suggest throwing light gauge strings on and getting the guitar re-set up for them. I threw on GHS 9.5's, but I would even suggest going down to 9's or even 8's. Then the routine I did was this:

1. Pick a fairly neutral mid-neck location, say 7th to 9th fret.
2. Consider your fingers an enumeration of 1 through 4: index = 1 , middle = 2, ring = 3, pinky = 4
3. Walk the fretboard from low E to high E using 1,2 on each string, making a point to stay up on the tips of your fingers and using as little force on the strings as possible.
4. Now walk the fretboard down from high E to low E using 2,1 on each string, same technique.

Rinse, repeat with the following patterns:

1,3 up 3,1 down
1,4 up 4,1 down
2,4 up 4,2 down
3,4 up 4,3 down (but this will suck unless you're blessed with a detachable pinky)

Use a metronome, stay even, work within a speed you can hold steady and keep stepping the pace up as you get better. But do make a point at all times to stay up on the tips, and use as little force as possible without buzzing. Keep at it and it won't take as long as you might think to work things out.

Basically just work the MASH out of your fretting hand. :)

edit:

baka kaba posted:

code:

Boy howdy I totally missed this. What he said, too. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Wow, that helps a LOT. Thank you! :mmmhmm: