Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks for the answers. One last question: I'm going through my emails and one recruiter I contacted asked me to "send your resume in Word to _______" and I've been avoiding that one because my resume is a pdf and I don't even have Word installed. Is this just office talk (like "pinging/let me ping him" and "touch base" etc) or does this person actually want a Word document and why?

They actually want a Word document. (I think you can get a free trial from MS)
They will remove your contact info from the header and add their agency name/logo/contact info.
It's so companies don't get the resume and then cut out the recruiter and contact you directly.

-Bob

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It's so they can add a bunch of skills you don't have so when you show up to an interview you look like a jerk. Don't give them a word doc.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MrKatharsis posted:

It's so they can add a bunch of skills you don't have so when you show up to an interview you look like a jerk. Don't give them a word doc.

No. No, no, no. Give them a word doc. If you are actually afraid your recruiter is going to put lies on your resume, you're with the wrong recruiter or you're an idiot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

Neither of those sites appear to have resume-uploading features. Jobserious appears to be a headhunter. (and it hasn't replaced Careerbuilder) ZipRecruiter just does job listings.

I tried signing up for job alerts at Jobserious, and it sent me to a page with a logo that appears to indicate it is the same company as ZipRecruiter. https://www.zipalerts.com/login They both also had the same weird autodetected location data in their alert forms.

When I see the same product rebranded and things redirecting to one another, I think click-bait link farm articles and phishing. Those sites seem really sleazy to me.

ZipRecruiter totally has a resume posting feature, for the record. JobSerious looks super-barebones and to basically be nothing but signing up for email alerts. I get enough unsolicited "email alerts" as is.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's weird, after I joined the Goon linkedin Group I'm getting about 2 unsolicited job offers a month, and I'm not even looking. THERE MUST BE A CONNECTION

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
What is your field? That sure ain't happ'nin to me none.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
They take your contact info and possibly your name (since LinkedIn makes it so easy to find people) so the client cant circumvent the recruiter.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Just read the intro this morning here and joined the Linkedin group. Haven't used Linkedin to any degree but the information here has really helped update my profile. If anyone is in Hampton Roads area of VA, please pm me if you are aware of any great opportunities.

Anyone have any recruiter recommendations in Linkedin?

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I may have just used LinkedIn as a tool make very good things happen for my career. I'll post details if it all works out but it's a reminder that all of these things are only tools and it's how you use them (or don't) that makes all the difference.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
I just started using the advice in the OP to up my LinkedIn job-hunting game and I'm not sure if there's anything I could be doing differently/better.

I'm in IT and I've connected with several recruiters at various companies in my industry (Oil & Gas) that I'm interested in. I've messaged them saying that I'm interested in new job opportunities and the whole email me for my resume thing but I haven't received any responses. I worry that perhaps because they're larger companies that their recruiters might not like direct contact through LinkedIn and only care about going through their website job postings. If I've actually applied for a few positions already through their career sites, should I be mentioning this to them? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Quarex posted:

What is your field? That sure ain't happ'nin to me none.

Business Intelligence / Big Data Analytics

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Hey I recently graduated from college and am in the process of setting up a LinkedIn profile. I'm open to a variety of jobs at this point (hope to save up enough for grad school), so what should I put down for the "What's your industry?" question? Will picking a particular industry hem me in with regards to who looks at your profile, or does it not matter very much?

Thanks!

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Business Intelligence / Big Data Analytics

Do you work for a name firm or have anything else that draws the eye on your profile?

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
So I've read through the OP, joined groups and have a pretty good profile but now I'm just wondering the best way to get in touch with recruiters. I've been sending and accepting any requests I get but if I do a search for [job title] + recruiter + [my city] I see a few but they all have the "inmail" or whatever and I can't add them. What's the best way to build up further connections?

smokmnky fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 8, 2013

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

smokmnky posted:

So I've read through the OP, joined groups and have a pretty good profile but now I'm just wondering the best way to get in touch with recruiters. I've been sending and accepting any requests I get but if I do a search for [job title] + recruiter + [my city] I see a few but they all have the "inmail" or whatever and I can't add them. What's the best way to build up further connections?

More groups such as open netwroking groups for your city, job hunting/posting groups, as well as secondary and tertiary connections.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Joined Stairmasters recently, looking forward to learning from you all. However, regarding contacting HR/recruiters:

I'm confused. I've sent messages (I have InMail) to probably 10-12 recruiters over the many, many months that I've been looking to change jobs. These are people who (a) are employees of the company, not headhunters or vendors/contractors, and (b) explicitly say that those interested in jobs should contact them directly. In most cases, they are actually the person who posted the opening on LinkedIn. My messages are brief and to the point, like this:

quote:

Hello Mr. Recuiter. I'm interested in a position you posted on LinkedIn ($title, linked below) and had some questions about the job and the hiring team in general.

If you have the time, I'd appreciate a chance to ask a few clarifying questions, either through email or over the phone. Please let me know what works best.

Thank you,
Trabant

but I'm getting absolutely zero responses. Worse, none of them are even visiting my profile. Am I too aggressive? Not aggressive enough? Should I include a link to my resume, apply first, something else entirely?

Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated. This whole endeavor has been very frustrating for me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trabant posted:

Joined Stairmasters recently, looking forward to learning from you all. However, regarding contacting HR/recruiters:

I'm confused. I've sent messages (I have InMail) to probably 10-12 recruiters over the many, many months that I've been looking to change jobs. These are people who (a) are employees of the company, not headhunters or vendors/contractors, and (b) explicitly say that those interested in jobs should contact them directly. In most cases, they are actually the person who posted the opening on LinkedIn. My messages are brief and to the point, like this:

but I'm getting absolutely zero responses. Worse, none of them are even visiting my profile. Am I too aggressive? Not aggressive enough? Should I include a link to my resume, apply first, something else entirely?

Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated. This whole endeavor has been very frustrating for me.

I think most people are poo poo at using LinkedIn, if that helps.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Yeah, it's probably not you. I know just for me personally even, I don't visit Linkedin even daily. Sometimes I get a message that seems time-sensitive that I reply to within an hour or a few, but that's rare. A lot of people wouldn't consider a week's gap between initial request/question and first reply to be extraordinary at all, it really just depends on the person and their habits in using the site.

However, if you're sending InMail and not connecting first (even if you select "friend" or similarly almost meaningless reason), more than likely they're de-prioritizing responses to you without meaning to. I don't think I've ever sent an InMail once, as all of my correspondence happens after I connect with someone. Either I phrase the question in the connection request or send it afterwards, but either way the connection is the first step. (and I should add, send that message quick after they accept)

That being said there's nothing wrong that I can see with what you're doing in practice. Try connecting before messaging, or play around with your phrasing to see what works.

The main thing is, don't take it personally or assume you did something wrong if someone doesn't respond immediately or even the same day. Recruiters still have quite a bit of offline work to do, and social networking even for business reasons is probably going to take a back seat until you establish yourself as a prospect in their mind. In networking, quality is definitely secondary to quantity after a certain point. Even better, the more you do it, the more successful and easier of a time it becomes the next time you reach out to someone.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 9, 2013

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

More groups such as open netwroking groups for your city, job hunting/posting groups, as well as secondary and tertiary connections.

is there a good "query" to use for finding these groups? I did get some connections going for some companies I'm interested in so now I'm hoping I can find the recruiter at those places and make a connection or 2.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

smokmnky posted:

is there a good "query" to use for finding these groups? I did get some connections going for some companies I'm interested in so now I'm hoping I can find the recruiter at those places and make a connection or 2.

Look at the groups your connections have joined. By the way you're limited to 50 groups now so basically you should join 50 groups.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
Ok will do. I worked a bunch last night on sending connection and received a response from a recruiter this morning. so hey something seems to be working.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Only 50 groups? drat, I have to be getting close to that. Maybe I should de-prioritize the number of groups I joined for the school in another country I attended for a year and have no actual connection to whatsoever.

Those LION groups that say they are for OPEN NETWORKERS, are those literally just groups for recruiter-types, or should I be joining those, too?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
LinkedIn success story, on my mass add of recruiters I added one from one of the biggest names in consumer electronics who was a recruiter for a different field of engineering. Didn't even notice really. When one of his connections, also a recruiter at that company, but for my field, searched for someone with my background, I was in his results and have a phone interview for tomorrow.

Quarex posted:

Only 50 groups? drat, I have to be getting close to that. Maybe I should de-prioritize the number of groups I joined for the school in another country I attended for a year and have no actual connection to whatsoever.

Those LION groups that say they are for OPEN NETWORKERS, are those literally just groups for recruiter-types, or should I be joining those, too?

Join them.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Thank you both. I'll keep plugging away at it and try not to freak out over not getting responses.

I'm finding more success by going through 2nd-degree contacts and establishing internal referrals anyway. Hasn't lead to a job yet, but at least I scored a couple of phone interviews and new contacts.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trabant posted:

Thank you both. I'll keep plugging away at it and try not to freak out over not getting responses.

I'm finding more success by going through 2nd-degree contacts and establishing internal referrals anyway. Hasn't lead to a job yet, but at least I scored a couple of phone interviews and new contacts.

As an example, I finally got an acceptance to a connection request I made to a recruiter yesterday. I sent the request weeks, if not months ago. He immediately sent me a mail about [position] at [company]. I replied back almost immediately and have yet to hear anything further about anything. To some people LinkedIn is just a thing they have, like Facebook, rather than a serious tool.

Not all recruiters are created equal, either. Some of them are just terrible.

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008
Has anyone had success getting unsolicited requests for interview straight out of college? I'm a recent graduate in a supposedly in-demand field with 300+ connections, most of them recruiters, and not a peep yet.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Orange Somen posted:

Has anyone had success getting unsolicited requests for interview straight out of college? I'm a recent graduate in a supposedly in-demand field with 300+ connections, most of them recruiters, and not a peep yet.

I just described my success, I am a mechanical engineer graduating in december with a fair amount of experience though.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Orange Somen posted:

Are you making it obvious on your profile that you are looking? You might also try viewing their pages passively, as they get pinged if you do that.

I would honestly take the time to call one or two of them and say you're looking so that they get a chance to get an update from you and to add you to their file.

Edit: With recruiters and LinkedIn in general, a passive strategy doesn't really work if you are trying to get a job. Try to maintain a fairly active profile, but do not over do it, like a career-related article here and there and try to build your digital footprint without over-extending yourself. Remember that the recruiters also probably have 300+ connections and if your profile doesn't make their feed, they won't know whether or not to put you up for consideration.

Good luck!

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 10, 2013

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

For folks not having much success, take a look at the "who's viewed your profile" page and see what terms folks are searching for that display you as a result.

One thing I've noticed is that despite having all the buzz/technical words I can think of for my field, the number one cause for my profile to show up is people searching my first name. Clearly I'm missing information in my profile that would help make me more visible and that might be your problem too.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

TouchyMcFeely posted:

For folks not having much success, take a look at the "who's viewed your profile" page and see what terms folks are searching for that display you as a result.

One thing I've noticed is that despite having all the buzz/technical words I can think of for my field, the number one cause for my profile to show up is people searching my first name. Clearly I'm missing information in my profile that would help make me more visible and that might be your problem too.

Isn't that a premium only feature?

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

Erdricks posted:

Isn't that a premium only feature?

yeah it is, you can get a free month of premium but all I've heard is it's not really worth it after that free time is up

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Same here. My SEO must suck, because the top keywords that led people to my profile are either my (extremely unique) name or (again, very unique) research topics I worked on about 10 years ago and haven't revisited since.

I'll be revamping my profile soon, hopefully it improves my visibility somewhat. I have half a mind to just delete any mention of my research/papers on old topics, but I like keeping it on there to complement the MBA/PMP/fuzzy stuff I've done since. I hope to move into a product management role, and figure it's useful to highlight technical skills as well.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

smokmnky posted:

yeah it is, you can get a free month of premium but all I've heard is it's not really worth it after that free time is up

Huh, didn't realize that was the case. I didn't sign up for premium so I wonder if they gave me a free trial without my noticing.

Good to know when it eventually goes away. At least now I won't be sitting there wondering where that useful information went when the trial ends.

Trabant posted:

Same here. My SEO must suck, because the top keywords that led people to my profile are either my (extremely unique) name or (again, very unique) research topics I worked on about 10 years ago and haven't revisited since.

I'll be revamping my profile soon, hopefully it improves my visibility somewhat. I have half a mind to just delete any mention of my research/papers on old topics, but I like keeping it on there to complement the MBA/PMP/fuzzy stuff I've done since. I hope to move into a product management role, and figure it's useful to highlight technical skills as well.

I think part of my problem (and maybe yours) is that my terms are too industry specific. I'm a Field Service Engineer with an analytical equipment manufacturer supplying products for chemistry labs. A lot of the terminology I use is specific for this niche field. I'm trying to get into customer service management but anyone looking to fill a role outside of my industry likely wouldn't hit on my profile due to the differences in terminology.

I also think part of the problem I have is that my profile (and resume) reflect my technical abilities better than my leadership/management abilities so even if someone were to see my profile would probably not get a good feel for why I would be good beyond front line field work.

Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure how to fix that last part. I know I can do what I do now well. It's finding opportunities to expand and grow in a new role that I'm having trouble finding.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Trabant posted:

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I also think part of the problem I have is that my profile (and resume) reflect my technical abilities better than my leadership/management abilities so even if someone were to see my profile would probably not get a good feel for why I would be good beyond front line field work.

Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure how to fix that last part. I know I can do what I do now well. It's finding opportunities to expand and grow in a new role that I'm having trouble finding.

If you guys have a school with even decent alumni connections, most of the time you can contact the career office (or whatever the job-placement help place is called) for resume/LinkedIn advice. A lot of schools offer alumni career guidance for free so long as you maintain even a tenous connection with the school. I also vaguely remember that a number of institutions have LinkedIn Premium freebies for students, can't hurt to ask.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's a good point, but your mileage will vary.

I've actually used my business school's career office for that purpose. Their resume help wasn't bad, but it was far too generic in my opinion. Which isn't that surprising -- they have to come up with some formula that works for a massive class of people with very different backgrounds. Still, I found they mostly repeated the same common-sense advice. LinkedIn wasn't really high on their priority list as we were graduating in 2010... Does that mean they weren't all that great of a career office? Maybe.

Thing is, I'm starting to question the value of the site as well. Maybe I'm just jaded because of my lack of progress, but the job I have now I got through an internal reference: a classmate from business school literally printed out my resume and put it on the hiring manager's desk. I got a phone screen and an in-person interview with a couple of tech giants through internal references by a friend and a former coworker, i.e. people I know IRL. The interviews did not produce a job offer, but it got me much further along than LinkedIn ever did. And judging by the LinkedIn success stories, I'm in the minority.

All of which makes me sound like a whiny baby or a poo poo interviewee. Which I'm not! Maybe the former a bit by this point.

Sorry, I'll suck it up.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I work as a web developer in advertising and I'm currently underpaid by about a good 10k. I've been at my current employer for a year now. I like my current job, but my salary just barely covers bills with little room for saving. I spoke with a recruiter yesterday about an open position at another agency that could pay me the 10k for the same work I'm doing now, but it seems like our agency has always done some cleaning up after them with certain clients. Also, our company fired a guy that is now working at that agency. I DO like the work the prospective agency is doing way more than what we are putting out. It's weird for me because the career world here is super small so I'd be afraid of burning bridges or stepping on toes. I guess I just feel dirty? I know it's not personal, it's business, and I do like my boss and my co-workers. I'd be content if I could actually afford rent and to pay extra on my student loans.

Also recruiters are good right? I know the company and could apply without the recruiter.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 22, 2013

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

I work as a web developer in advertising and I'm currently underpaid by about a good 10k. I've been at my current employer for a year now. I like my current job, but my salary just barely covers bills with little room for saving. I spoke with a recruiter yesterday about an open position at another agency that could pay me the 10k for the same work I'm doing now, but it seems like our agency has always done some cleaning up after them with certain clients. Also, our company fired a guy that is now working at that agency. I DO like the work the prospective agency is doing way more than what we are putting out. It's weird for me because the career world here is super small so I'd be afraid of burning bridges or stepping on toes. I guess I just feel dirty? I know it's not personal, it's business, and I do like my boss and my co-workers. I'd be content if I could actually afford rent and to pay extra on my student loans.

Also recruiters are good right? I know the company and could apply without the recruiter.

If you're a competent webdev and barely paying the bills something is seriously wrong; you should be making a lot more. You are probably underpaid more than you think.

As for recruiters, they can be helpful in certain ways, but it sounds like you probably don't need their help. If you're comfortable doing so, contact the guy that you worked with and see if he can get your resume past the HR department. Alternatively, apply normally. If those avenues don't work, then maybe consider recruiters.

That's probably what I would do anyway.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

If you're a competent webdev and barely paying the bills something is seriously wrong; you should be making a lot more. You are probably underpaid more than you think.

This. Check some salaries on Glassdoor.com for your area. Also don't put all your eggs in one basket; in addition to following up a lead with the competing agency, seriously start looking for other positions. Just about every company in the world needs webdev help. As for recruiters, I would say 1 out of every 10 are good at their job. Try to get a recommendation from other webdevs in your area (I know a few in the Austin and Orange County, CA area).

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I joined Stairmasters and I'll be sending out some connection requests to those of you that live where I'm looking to move after graduation or are in my area of study (I/O Psychology - Research Analyst, Data Analytics, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I've decided to change my job search to the Denver, CO area. If I switch jobs now to something in my area I think I'll have to wait another year to apply to be even getting a second glance over and I've been wanting to get out of Kentucky for a while now. Time to find some recruiters, get my portfolio up, and just apply apply apply.

• Locked thread