Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Dareon posted:

Okay, whoever recommended diving down my hellevators with a spelunker potion active for hardmode ores, you are a genius. Just did that in my pre-1.2 world (Which involved two lethal, one abortive and one panicked sprint across the Corruption), and came out with enough mythril for two full sets of armor and 36 bars of adamantite.

I sort of hope I get adamantite in the world I'm actually setting up for hardmode, so the stuff I just collected isn't "wasted."

The set bonuses on the hardmode replacement ores are so good, you shouldn't be disappointed if you get them. If you wind up having to choose, make tools from adamantite and armor from orichalcum/titanium.

Another good place to check for hardmode ores is the upper ash layer of hell and the areas where it opens into the caverns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

goodness posted:

Why does nobody ever talk about Meteor Armor + Space Gun? Its such a good mid combo and pretty easy to get.

I made a post a few pages back about using meteor armor + space gun to kill the wall of flesh and to help farm hardmode dungeon mobs to get spectre armor. The space gun is actually fantastic for the effort involved - just try and run down to the crimson and lob a bomb at a heart as soon as you can and you'll get a meteorite or two spawning the next night.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I've always wondered, what are the rules of a meteor spawning? I've always been afraid to build secondary structures pre-world eater/brain because a meteor might loving turn it into fireblocks.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

I've always wondered, what are the rules of a meteor spawning? I've always been afraid to build secondary structures pre-world eater/brain because a meteor might loving turn it into fireblocks.

The inner 16% of the world, centered on your spawn point, can't have meteors land on it. Honestly, worlds are large enough that even if you build something outside of that area the chance that a meteor will actually hit it is almost nonexistent.

e: They also won't spawn anywhere near NPC's OR chests, so if you put an NPC or a chest in that structure it won't get hit.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Or live with the permanent fear of a meteor crash !

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Also the way they spawn is by having a fake projectile fall from the sky until it hits something and then turns all foreground blocks in a given radius of that impact point into meteorite, so if it did hit a building cleanup would be pretty easy.

What would probably be worse that early would be losing 90% of the meteorite because it was mostly empty air where it tried to spawn. :v:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

President Ark posted:

Also the way they spawn is by having a fake projectile fall from the sky until it hits something and then turns all foreground blocks in a given radius of that impact point into meteorite

Which also means that if you're worried, you can just build a quick one block thick dirt bridge in the sky over your buildings to shield them from meteorites.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

patch notes posted:

Hardmode Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow spread is now slowed after killing Plantera instead of any Mechanical Boss

What a bother. I hate being rushed into things, especially in a 2d tree building simulator.

But looking at someones "client just updated" post here, it's been patched in middle of the night local time and my game is still unpatched. Gonna just unplug the network cable when I get home and kill Destroyer or something.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Which also means that if you're worried, you can just build a quick one block thick dirt bridge in the sky over your buildings to shield them from meteorites.

Yep - back when meteorite was potential endgame and the star cannon was still the highest damage output in the game, making a skybridge to collect falling stars easily meant you'd lose basically all of any potential meteorite that hit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Star cannon finally got dethroned?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

President Ark posted:

Also the way they spawn is by having a fake projectile fall from the sky until it hits something and then turns all foreground blocks in a given radius of that impact point into meteorite, so if it did hit a building cleanup would be pretty easy.

What would probably be worse that early would be losing 90% of the meteorite because it was mostly empty air where it tried to spawn. :v:

Honestly with the new metals, meteorite can be safely ignored. Platinum gets the job done and isn't all that rare, you also have Crimson/Shadow armor being pretty awesome now. Unless you made a big fuss about having the best magic weapons that early (which is a hassle), Meteor armor also has pretty poor defense which can be crucial for boss fights at that point.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Star cannon finally got dethroned?

With Chlorophyte/venom ammo and the shotbow, tactical shotgun, and sniper rifle, I think it can finally be out-DPS'd, yeah.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Hey I just noticed this in the new patch notes.

quote:

Dungeon guardian now does 1000 damage

What the hell :stare: bit of an overreaction to the cheesing eh? I mean I like to fight the guy legit, I think it's a really fun boss.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I found out that one can paint grass blocks. The vegetation that grows from the painted block will be of the same color. It also spreads the same colored grass.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

What the hell :stare: bit of an overreaction to the cheesing eh? I mean I like to fight the guy legit, I think it's a really fun boss.

But if you're fighting him legit it makes effectively no difference. The damage nerf was just so people couldn't make him kill himself on turtle armor, he'll still kill you in one hit.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Fewd posted:

What a bother. I hate being rushed into things, especially in a 2d tree building simulator.

But looking at someones "client just updated" post here, it's been patched in middle of the night local time and my game is still unpatched. Gonna just unplug the network cable when I get home and kill Destroyer or something.

If you don't want things to patch I'm 90% sure that you can turn of auto patching on a game by game basis in steam.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

If you don't want things to patch I'm 90% sure that you can turn of auto patching on a game by game basis in steam.

Yeah, but it's on Steam and autopatching is currently on. If I just turn my computer on, it'll most likely patch the thing before I get a chance to turn anything off.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Ulvirich posted:

I found out that one can paint grass blocks. The vegetation that grows from the painted block will be of the same color. It also spreads the same colored grass.

Great. Now I can fight bosses in Bronco Stadium.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Fooling around with TEdit, trying to find something that makes my armor hall look good that isn't "Gray Brick" and...

:stare: Palladium makes for very, very garish walls.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Okay, when is it a good time to attempt the hardmode bosses? I've got Palladium armor, along with the Golden Shower. I tried the destroyer, and it just annihilated me. I seem to be in a catch-22: I can't get good stuff in the jungle, because I can't mine what little chlorophyte ore there is. I can't get stuff from the dungeon, because no hardmode enemies until I kill Plantera. No eclipses before killing a hardmode boss either. Am I stuck scouring Hell for adamantite? What should I be doing at this point?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

If you don't want to go hunting for better armor, making a proper boss-fighting arena will probably help your chances. Otherwise, yeah, upgrade your armor and keep going at it. The Destroyer is definitely the easiest of the three, since he's the only one who's not constantly charging you down and his drones drop health.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

TwystNeko posted:

Okay, when is it a good time to attempt the hardmode bosses? I've got Palladium armor, along with the Golden Shower. I tried the destroyer, and it just annihilated me. I seem to be in a catch-22: I can't get good stuff in the jungle, because I can't mine what little chlorophyte ore there is. I can't get stuff from the dungeon, because no hardmode enemies until I kill Plantera. No eclipses before killing a hardmode boss either. Am I stuck scouring Hell for adamantite? What should I be doing at this point?

Like others said earlier, make a hellevator, use a Spelunker Potion, and keep an eye out for dark red ore. Get enough Adamantite for armor, and make sure you've got the right accessories, like star band, mana flower, and if you can get wings, those help a lot.

A proper arena to fight him in is necessary as well.

Edit: You don't need to be in Hell for Adamantite. I don't know the exact depth needed, but it definitely shows up before hell.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 10, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Wings are actually super easy to get now, too. If you have a platinum coin, just whip up a lovely house in the jungle and move the Witch Doctor into it for the Leaf Wings, which are one of the best.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Hey I just noticed this in the new patch notes.

I think you're thinking of Skeletron? The Dungeon Guardian is his head which protects the dungeon, has 9999 HP, so much defense that you can only deal 1 dmg (2 on a crit) and who previously dealt 7000 dmg on hit.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I died too much, no platinum for me. :(

Also, what's the "star band"? No item on the wiki by that name. What's it do? I just crafted a mana flower, so that'll help.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

TwystNeko posted:

I died too much, no platinum for me. :(

Also, what's the "star band"? No item on the wiki by that name. What's it do? I just crafted a mana flower, so that'll help.

The Band of Starpower is an accessory that adds +20 max mana.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

Edit: You don't need to be in Hell for Adamantite. I don't know the exact depth needed, but it definitely shows up before hell.

I don't remember about adamantite but my new world has titanium and I mined bunch of that stuff nearly at the surface, at and above cavern layer.

TwystNeko posted:

Alternatively, for Destroyer you could get Dao of Pow or the mushroom spear thing. Both very efficient weapons for it and easy to get.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Going through the hardmode dungeon last night, basically unable to do anything productive. Even with a Chlorophyte Claymore and Titanium Armor, I still can't hold my own against the hardmode dungeon or jungle enemies. I get a little ways down, then I'm swamped.

So I head into the dungeon again, looking to farm Ectoplasm or hopefully find a Sniper, when this massive, hulking suit of armor walks up and pulls a Thor on me for a crapton of damage. I duck into a doorway, switch to Clockwork/cursed bullets, and begin to tink away, with the light knockback keeping him from using hammers.

Five minutes later, guess what the Paladin drops? Godly Paladin Hammer. With the Turtle Armor and the Godly Modifier, I have a 124 damage, high speed, high knockback flail with a 31% crit chance that does over 200 damage.

Still getting slaughtered, but now...I am Thor. Finally able to kill turtles reliably, collect shells for my Turtle Armor, and got a star cloak from a Mimic. Now anytime I get hit, they receive the same amount of damage, plus high knockback bees, plus falling stars. Then a Paladin Hammer in the face. I killed Destroyer with almost no trouble and no buff potions, though I still can't kill the twins. Building a buff potion set for that fight and Skeletron Prime, and I still need to kill Plantera to get the Temple Key.

Also, Chlorophyte bullets are freakin' amazing, you all don't even know.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TwystNeko posted:

What accessories are you using? A good mage setup for him is mana flower, sorcerer's emblem, spectre boots, wings, and cross necklace. Health regeneration ring or philosopher's stone are good choices if you don't have a cross necklace. Band of starpower isn't a necessary, with your mana flower and a big stack of mana potions from the wizard, you'll have practically infinite mana anyway. Reforge them to get as much +defense as you can, and make sure to bring all the relevant buffs. Ironskin potion, bowl of soup, regeneration potion, crystal ball, and Mana power potions are the things you want. Also, consider wearing the palladium melee helmet instead of the mage hat. It'll lower your damage a bit, but give you a LOT more defense.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

LAY-ZX posted:

The inner 16% of the world, centered on your spawn point, can't have meteors land on it. Honestly, worlds are large enough that even if you build something outside of that area the chance that a meteor will actually hit it is almost nonexistent.

e: They also won't spawn anywhere near NPC's OR chests, so if you put an NPC or a chest in that structure it won't get hit.
Before

After

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Read posted:

The Band of Starpower is an accessory that adds +20 max mana.

Yeah, that's what I meant, and really, I was thinking of the Mana Regeneration Ring, but like Mzbundifund said, it's not all that necessary if you've got the Mana Flower.

I've never used the Nimbus rod, but it's my understanding it's perfect for the Destroyer. I had to kill the thing with a Magic Dagger. That blew.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Leper Residue posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant, and really, I was thinking of the Mana Regeneration Ring, but like Mzbundifund said, it's not all that necessary if you've got the Mana Flower.

I've never used the Nimbus rod, but it's my understanding it's perfect for the Destroyer. I had to kill the thing with a Magic Dagger. That blew.

You can also use the 'Magic Cuffs', made with a shackle and a Mana Regen band, which improves Mana Regen and gives Mana back whenever you are damaged. Good for Tank Mages.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kinda pointless with mana flowers existing.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Kinda pointless with mana flowers existing.

I don't know, when I first killed the Destroyer, I was trying to keep my gold in check and didn't want to buy stacks of mana pots. Course, afterwards, with Solar Eclipse and farming bosses, I have so many stacks it's kind of silly.

Also, gently caress restoration potions. Giving me potion sickness just because I ran out of mana.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Yeah, gently caress restoration potions. Gonna Mana Flower erry single one of my spells.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

Mzbundifund posted:

What accessories are you using? A good mage setup for him is mana flower, sorcerer's emblem, spectre boots, wings, and cross necklace. Health regeneration ring or philosopher's stone are good choices if you don't have a cross necklace. Band of starpower isn't a necessary, with your mana flower and a big stack of mana potions from the wizard, you'll have practically infinite mana anyway. Reforge them to get as much +defense as you can, and make sure to bring all the relevant buffs. Ironskin potion, bowl of soup, regeneration potion, crystal ball, and Mana power potions are the things you want. Also, consider wearing the palladium melee helmet instead of the mage hat. It'll lower your damage a bit, but give you a LOT more defense.

I'm using a cross necklace, a ana flower, a horseshoe, hermes boots, and rocket boots. Not the best things. I'd like to get wings, but lack of money is a problem. Spectre boots are unavailable until I kill plantera, since the latest patch. I guess I'll go beat up wyverns for a bit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Spectre boots are just a tinker combination of Hermes boots and rocket boots. They have nothing to do with the Hardmode Dungeon ectoplasm drops.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Spectre boots are just a tinker combination of Hermes boots and rocket boots. They have nothing to do with the Hardmode Dungeon ectoplasm drops.

You can upgrade them even further, to lightning boots, without even going to hardmode.

TwystNeko posted:

I'm using a cross necklace, a ana flower, a horseshoe, hermes boots, and rocket boots. Not the best things. I'd like to get wings, but lack of money is a problem. Spectre boots are unavailable until I kill plantera, since the latest patch. I guess I'll go beat up wyverns for a bit.

Another really simple upgrade is obsidian horseshoe + sandstorm in a balloon. At least for me it gave an extra accessory spot as I saw no use for my bundle of balloons afterwards.

e: normal horseshoe, not obsidian

Fewd fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 10, 2013

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Nice. I spent a couple minutes farming wyverns and ice golems, got a sweet Mythical frost staff, 3 frost helmets, and ice wings. Now that I know what I'm looking for, it's a lot easier. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, my Dryad thinks she's in a mushroom biome because of my small glowing mushroom farm.

EDIT: Does the infinite liquid glitch still work with 1.2?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 10, 2013

• Locked thread