Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I picked up my note 3 yesterday coming from an iPhone 5. After playing with it for a few hours and I literally felt like I had baby hands. Why didn't I switch to a larger screen sooner? This thing is amazing. If Apple came out with an iPhone with a comparable screen I'd probably jump ship back to ios but for now I'm loving the poo poo out of this thing. And holy crap did I ever miss Swype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

I picked up my note 3 yesterday coming from an iPhone 5..., holy crap did I ever miss Swype.

That's funny. I have a VZW Galaxy Nexus as a personal line, picked up a new line Sprint 5s for work and love the 5s size vs the size of the Nexus... I use this more than the Nexus at this point. But I too miss Swype.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Since losing my 26% discount, I've fallen back on the 10% AAA discount. Although truth be told, with all the changes Sprint has made, it doesn't look like it's going to be that much different than it was before. Having the discount apply only to the first two lines was never that impressive to begin with. Also, it made me sign a new 2 year agreement...

But hey, at least it's something.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dinking around with my EVO LTE again and with a CM10.2 Android 4.3 based ROM, the thing actually is impressing me on how smooth and fast it is actually running. It can even multitask which it has almost never been able to do in past ROMs. It still has a few glitches like the WiFi cutting out after a period of time for no reason, requiring a reboot, but besides that it does work.

On the plus side, HTC just released an OTA that upgrades the radios which improved reception for a lot of people. Both 3G and 4G. And on the Plus, Plus side, HTC Americas President did say that the EVO LTE is getting Android 4.3 and Sense 5. So there is hope for HTC and the EVO yet.

Still using My Arrive but might give the EVO another shot as 4G has be poping up everywhere around me.

One negative is how the Chrome browser is still broken for forums like this. Typing this message the text continued to type outside of the entry field and into the buttons and check boxes below making editing and such a bit tough... Never have any issues like this with WP7/8's IE9/10.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 8, 2013

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Looks like the HTC One just got an update to 4.3. Did anyone install it yet?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

EdEddnEddy posted:

On the plus side, HTC just released an OTA that upgrades the radios which improved reception for a lot of people. Both 3G and 4G. And on the Plus, Plus side, HTC Americas President did say that the EVO LTE is getting Android 4.3 and Sense 5. So there is hope for HTC and the EVO yet.
Thanks for this, I had no idea. Just updated now via XDA, and hopefully some of the flakiness I've been seeing will get improved.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

OptimusMatrix posted:

I picked up my note 3 yesterday coming from an iPhone 5. After playing with it for a few hours and I literally felt like I had baby hands. Why didn't I switch to a larger screen sooner? This thing is amazing. If Apple came out with an iPhone with a comparable screen I'd probably jump ship back to ios but for now I'm loving the poo poo out of this thing. And holy crap did I ever miss Swype.

How's the sound on it's built in speakers? I'm debating between the Note 3 and waiting on the HTC One Max. I watch a lot of videos and listen to a lot of sports and audiobooks. With my Evo3d I have to use an external speaker or headphones most of the time.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

mcpringles posted:

Looks like the HTC One just got an update to 4.3. Did anyone install it yet?

Yup, it's pretty nice being able to turn on auto photo upload again without hundreds of megs of Zoes coming along for the ride.

The only serious bug I've noticed is that I keep going from zero to full bars over and over when connected to my AirRave. Seems to be a 4.3 thing since flashing the old radio didn't fix the problem.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

Leathal posted:

Yup, it's pretty nice being able to turn on auto photo upload again without hundreds of megs of Zoes coming along for the ride.

The only serious bug I've noticed is that I keep going from zero to full bars over and over when connected to my AirRave. Seems to be a 4.3 thing since flashing the old radio didn't fix the problem.

Been having the same problem with my Airave and 4.3 on my HTC One.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
The Galaxy Note 3 is now $250 instead of $350 on sprint.com

I'm really tempted by both it and the 5s. Just a few days ago the choice seemed much easier than it does now.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

general chaos posted:

The Galaxy Note 3 is now $250 instead of $350 on sprint.com

I'm really tempted by both it and the 5s. Just a few days ago the choice seemed much easier than it does now.
That price includes a $100 credit for porting a number from another carrier though.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

RodShaft posted:

How's the sound on it's built in speakers? I'm debating between the Note 3 and waiting on the HTC One Max. I watch a lot of videos and listen to a lot of sports and audiobooks. With my Evo3d I have to use an external speaker or headphones most of the time.

It's got pretty good audio quality. But the pictures and video quality on this thing are freakin mind blowing. Everyone I show is astounded at how clear the pictures are.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I went to buy the Note 3 this morning and it said that I would need a new plan. I have sero premium with the $10 premium data add on. Am I missing something?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I went to buy the Note 3 this morning and it said that I would need a new plan. I have sero premium with the $10 premium data add on. Am I missing something?

Do it over the phone. The fact that SERO is defunct except for those of us who have grandfathered plans probably messes with the online automation.

e: use this number 866-264-1282

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 10, 2013

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

moolchaba posted:

Do it over the phone. The fact that SERO is defunct except for those of us who have grandfathered plans probably messes with the online automation.

e: use this number 866-264-1282

They gave me this number.
888-882-4030

Seems to have gone through just fine. Thanks!

Edit:
Phone and accessories subTotal: $349.99
Account fee: $36.00
Shipping fee: $12.00
Estimated tax: $34.30
Total : $432.29

Good lord that's an expensive phone.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 10, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How good is the Galaxy Tab 3? Sprint has it for $50 with a 2 year contract. Just pay for the $5 a month plan since you know you wont ever get that mobile data anyways.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

I said come in! posted:

How good is the Galaxy Tab 3? Sprint has it for $50 with a 2 year contract. Just pay for the $5 a month plan since you know you wont ever get that mobile data anyways.

It's apparently okay, and for the price I guess that's not terrible. I expect it will be under $100 in no time without a contract.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I have (or had) SERO. Then I left the country and put my phone on seasonal standby, because I wasn't sure I wanted to keep the plan. Now I am pretty sure I want to get rid of it. I'm also pretty sure they will claim they can't put it back on SERO now that it has been on seasonal standby so I think that's just lost forever.

But I want to keep my phone number. Can I port the number completely to google voice (for their $10+$20 fee)? Will that automatically cancel my plan, or do I have to do that separately? About a billion years ago when I switched to Sprint, porting my T-Mobile number over canceled the T-Mobile plan.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

DNova posted:

But I want to keep my phone number. Can I port the number completely to google voice (for their $10+$20 fee)? Will that automatically cancel my plan, or do I have to do that separately? About a billion years ago when I switched to Sprint, porting my T-Mobile number over canceled the T-Mobile plan.

Pretty sure a full port over to gvoice cancels your plan.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Was at a radio station remote last night, and started talking to someone at the bar - turns out he is one of the subcontracted tower climbers Sprint is using. They are up from Georgia doing all the towers in my area (New Bern/Jacksonville), and he told me only a month or two before they are finished - which is great news, because the one Sprint LTE tower here in New Bern is surprisingly faster than the AT&T LTE (14 down/3 up vs 5 down/2 up).

Slowly but surely....

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe someone here can help me with an issue I am having. I recently upgraded to a SG4 and the battery sucked (it wouldn't last the full day). So I took the phone back to Sam's (about 10 or so days after the purchase) and reactivated my old phone. They refunded the phone, but will not refund the activation fee. I just sat on the phone with customer care where I was told by the "operation's manager" that he could not in good conscience refund the fee since it was after 3 days that I returned the phone. Supposedly he is referring me to some executive team that can only be done electronically and not over the phone.

Are there any suggestions of what I can do to get this taken care of. I really think I have had enough of Sprint's bs.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sprint T&C posted:

However, if service is canceled within 3 days of activation, the activation/upgrade fee will be refunded.
Paragraph 2, last sentence.
Nobody refunds activation fees after 3 days.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 11, 2013

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

SeaborneClink posted:

Paragraph 2, last sentence.
Nobody refunds activation fees after 3 days.

I get that is what it says, it still doesn't make it right.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

dalstrs posted:

I get that is what it says, it still doesn't make it right.

So basically what you're saying is "I wanted a thing so I signed a thing I didn't agree with, and now I don't want that original thing so I think that everything that I agreed to when I signed that paper thing should be null and void."

Oooookay :rolleyes:

How about they waive the $36 activation fee, and then you pay a $36 restocking fee. :shrug:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I saw 4G LTE in Phoenix for the first time yesterday while driving on the 51.

My phone then decided it was a good time to play "Get Lucky". :haw:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Welp... I just made the fairly uninformed purchase of a galaxy tab 3. What can you guys tell me?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Phoenix has a bunch of towers around the valley now. Check sensorly.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

SeaborneClink posted:

So basically what you're saying is "I wanted a thing so I signed a thing I didn't agree with, and now I don't want that original thing so I think that everything that I agreed to when I signed that paper thing should be null and void."

Oooookay :rolleyes:

How about they waive the $36 activation fee, and then you pay a $36 restocking fee. :shrug:

If what I had bought had performed like it was supposed to I would agree with you.

Unfortunently battery life is something that takes more than 3 days to determine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sprint is really doing a good job improving their towers in Arizona. I can finally get reliable 3G access in Flagstaff. That just started happening this week too. I've been happy.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Swapped back to my EVO LTE from the Arrive for a bit. 4G popping up all over around here and the LTE just got an update along with a promise of 4.3 and Sense 5 later this year so I figured I can give it another go.

One thing about being on SERO still, is the direct number is fantastic, the techs are knowledgeable enough, and in ~10 minutes the swap is complete. :cool: That and the service around here has been getting better even for 3G. Getting a full 1Mbit at work up and down so hopefully that means 4G isn't to far behind.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

dalstrs posted:

If what I had bought had performed like it was supposed to I would agree with you.

Unfortunently battery life is something that takes more than 3 days to determine.

It sucks to say but all wireless carriers suck. Email dan@sprint.com and see if they will do anything, if they don't you can ways vote with your money and switch. As the other guy implied, eventually you will get hosed by the other carriers. I agree it doesn't make it right, but not much to do about it short term.

ZippoGuy
Dec 18, 2005

Some say the world
will end in fire...
I'm just helping it along
College Slice
I have the option of taking liability for a SERO plan from a friend, but I just upgraded to a 5S last month on my current contract. The SERO plan has an upgrade available. I think I'm just out of the return window, which sucks.
I was wondering if it's possible to keep my current phone while switching plans, canceling my current contract using the SERO upgrade.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

ZippoGuy posted:

I have the option of taking liability for a SERO plan from a friend, but I just upgraded to a 5S last month on my current contract. The SERO plan has an upgrade available. I think I'm just out of the return window, which sucks.
I was wondering if it's possible to keep my current phone while switching plans, canceling my current contract using the SERO upgrade.
You will have to pay, like, a $350 ETF if you just got an upgrade and signed a new contract. Use the upgrade on the SERO account to buy an iPhone 5S and sell it to pay for the ETF. You can't officially take liability on the SERO account, but if you're really friends then you can just put your credit card in to pay for it monthly.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Updated to the new EVO LTE software, but now my BT headset is doing something weird. If the call is lost or the other side hangs up while paired with a headset, my phone automatically calls the person back. Over and over if they are the ones hanging up each time. Only way I can break the cycle is if *I* am the one who hangs up.

Anyone else seen this?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Well, since nobody replied, I'll go ahead and say that ive been playing with mine for a few hours now, and I'm struck with one overwhelming feeling: Its just feels like a bigger version of my S4.

Anyways, thats not a bad thing. Pretty cool for 50 bux. Sprint has 3 plans for it, 25 mb for $5, a middle tier for 10 and 2gb for $15. I went with the $5 plan since I'll only be using it at home or near wifi sources.

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009
Okay, so I once bought a SERO plan off someone about four years ago, but now I am thinking of trying to sell / give it away.

How would I go about transferring this to someone else, and can I still port my number? I love my number.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The Azn Sensation posted:

Okay, so I once bought a SERO plan off someone about four years ago, but now I am thinking of trying to sell / give it away.

How would I go about transferring this to someone else, and can I still port my number? I love my number.
You are now only allowed to transfer it to other SERO/EPRP account holders. And you will not be able to keep your number, because it's attached to the line.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

dalstrs posted:

I got activation fees waived because I made a big scene on the phone and got sent up the chain of command until they just credited me 72 bucks. Though to be fair, the store I bought from told me there would be no activation fee at all. So.

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW

Wizard of Smart posted:

I got activation fees waived because I made a big scene on the phone and got sent up the chain of command until they just credited me 72 bucks. Though to be fair, the store I bought from told me there would be no activation fee at all. So.

Those calls happen quite a bit, where the store says no fee/will be waived and then the bill comes in and there it is. Of course we say it's valid but like you did just get to a higher-up and explain what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mcpringles posted:

Phoenix has a bunch of towers around the valley now. Check sensorly.

Yeah, but even though Sensorly reports plenty along US60, I've never actually seen the 4G indicator light up in Phoenix until then.