Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

ExecuDork posted:

Seawater, as I'm sure you know, is nasty. Rinse it off with fresh water, then wipe off the fresh water. If your camera gets submerged or heavily splashed, immerse it in fresh water (do I need to tell anyone DO NOT TURN IT ON?), and seek professional help.

thanks

it's a hass 500c/m so no electrics

so far just the outside got a few droplets on them around the chrome rims and was just worried in case any gets down between the film back and body or lens etc what I should do. just trying to be cautious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

I was fitting my 10 stop ND filter to my camera outside just now (on a ship), the wind picked up and ripped it out of my hand and I watched in slow motion as it sailed like a lost kite down to the water and disappeared.

:smithicide:

We commit this filter to the deep...

Does the ship machine shop have a welding mask? The glass will function as an ND filter.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

MrBlandAverage posted:

We commit this filter to the deep...

Does the ship machine shop have a welding mask? The glass will function as an ND filter.

yes we do but only the ones with the little eye slits that I don't think are big enough to cover even the smaller lens like the 80mm

Are they usually all around the same density? I don't have a digital camera to test.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
The Yashica C I got from pseudonordic seems to be working. Standard catte test shot:

img009 by dedianmn, on Flickr

I'm still amazed that developing this first roll worked and have anything come out at all, after taking about half an hour in the changing bag to get the film loaded I was ready to call it a sacrificial roll :D

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

I was fitting my 10 stop ND filter to my camera outside just now (on a ship), the wind picked up and ripped it out of my hand and I watched in slow motion as it sailed like a lost kite down to the water and disappeared.

:smithicide:

Bummer :smith: Hoping it was one of those cheap Chinese ones from eBay (been meaning to pick one up to experiment with) and not a $300+ Singh-Ray or something like that.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
It was a HiTech. Stil pretty shattering though.

Was ProStop 3x IRND filter kit a good idea? Hitech had some pretty awful blue cast. Pretty poo poo they're allowed to be called "neutral" density :P

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Acros is niiiiice.

Untitled_Panorama3 by TheOneTrueDevo, on Flickr

Untitled_Panorama1 by TheOneTrueDevo, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Picked up a roll of Portra 160 today. I love film. I love my lightmeter. I love my camera.
I can't wait to get the b&w LE's back!

These are all straight out of camera, no post. I don't really know what to do to them to retain the film's look. And I feel kind of guilty doing it?

44780005 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

44780009 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

44780010 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 10, 2013

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Those aren't straight out of camera.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So dark cloths are pretty expensive. Is there anything a $60 dark cloth brings that a towel or blanket doesn't?

Also, this Chamonix is pretty awesome, much more suitable than the Norma for what I want to do.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A dark cloth is actually dark?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

eggsovereasy posted:

So dark cloths are pretty expensive. Is there anything a $60 dark cloth brings that a towel or blanket doesn't?

Also, this Chamonix is pretty awesome, much more suitable than the Norma for what I want to do.

I have been using a black tee shirt for the last year. Other than some bleed through in bright light it's been fine. I mean, it looks ridiculous but it was free so whatevs.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

The BTZS focus hood is rainproof. I've used the Chamonix in the rain plenty of times without worry by pulling the hood forward to cover everything except the lens' front element. If you don't care about that, yeah, just use a black t-shirt.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

I have been using a black tee shirt for the last year. Other than some bleed through in bright light it's been fine. I mean, it looks ridiculous but it was free so whatevs.

Do you put the collar of the t-shirt on, and bunch the rest around your neck for easy pull-up-down access?

Because... that might be what I do from now on.

Anyway, I needed a black cloth backdrop once, and bought a few yards of a two-layered black synthetic from a fabric store for cheap, then cut it down afterwards to use as a darkcloth. Works fine.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

thetzar posted:

Do you put the collar of the t-shirt on, and bunch the rest around your neck for easy pull-up-down access?

Because... that might be what I do from now on.

Anyway, I needed a black cloth backdrop once, and bought a few yards of a two-layered black synthetic from a fabric store for cheap, then cut it down afterwards to use as a darkcloth. Works fine.

No, i put the collar around the rear standard.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What you should do is wear a poncho at all times, then reverse it over your head onto the camera.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

SOOC Portra. Any tips on post processing?

evil_bunnY posted:

What you should do is wear a poncho at all times, then reverse it over your head onto the camera.

I put a children's poncho over my film bag at night. Works great.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
nm.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

You guys don't have enough dust on your scanners.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dukeku posted:

Step 1: Leave mars.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

dukeku posted:

I prefer the look of the velvia that I shot.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

dukeku posted:

are you havin a giggle mate

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 11, 2013

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
In case anyone wondered (I'm at work damnit, why am I editing someone else's negs?! Halp!):

(Adjust curves color clipping to meet the valley of each red, green and blue to subtract the orange base. Invert. More curves. Presto.)

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Will be more careful and consider the difference between the viewfinder and actual lens on a TLR in the future. Also I need to use a better scanner.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yashica-mats are so tiny.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How much does large format generally cost?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Elderbean posted:

How much does large format generally cost?

To get into, or per shot?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Both.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Need some more specifics as large format can mean 4x5, 8x10, 11x14 and everything in between.

For 4x5 you could get a Speed Graphic for $300-$400 with a basic lens, and then some 4x5 backs for $10 a piece. Then for film, it can range from a $3-4 a sheet for colour to <$1 for B&W, again with lots of variation in between. To process you'll need a 54mod reel ~$70 (i think), or you can just get a darkroom and some trays, I've done colour and B&W in trays, cheap but a pain in the rear end. If you DIY black and white, its quite economical looking at <$1 per sheet, but it goes right up from there for colour (I haven't had colour 4x5 done at a lab before!). And then you need to be able to scan it, where you'll need an Epson v700, or you can be a scrub like myself and use a v500 and stitch the 4x5 in post.

All that is rule of thumb values on a budget, but lots of people have 4x5 Chamonix's in here which will run you around $1000 with no lens, but you'll never want another 4x5.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Personally, I have sunk about $2,500 into LF but that includes a Chamonix, v700, 90mm, 135mm, 180mm, 240mm and like 20 holders. That does not include film or processing. Sounds expensive, but I basically have everything I need to shoot 4x5 for the rest of my life (I'm an idiot, I will probably buy a 400mm eventually).

If you haven't ever shot film before I recommend you give medium format a shot first. Pick up a cheap TLR or Pentax 67 and shoot ten or twenty rolls to see if the dev and scanning workflow is something that interests you. Ignore that if you have film experience and realy want movements.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
To be honest $2500 for an excellent setup like that is not crazy money when dealing with high end photography gear, you just need to look at a Canon 5d MkIII and a bunch of L series lenses and you're already not getting much change out of $10k.

I must admit to being too unfocused with my gear purchasing/shooting, where I've got a couple of 4x5 lenses, speed graphic and a few holders, then a home made 8x10 with one lens and a plate holder, and bunch of MF/35mm cameras. I've been thinking about selling a bunch of stuff to fund a decent 4x5/8x10 setup, but I just can't seem to part with any of my crap.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
To add to what Spedman said about LF film costs - 4x5 color negative and slide film both cost me about $4/sheet + $2.15 or $2.25 for processing.

Sometimes I think about 8x10 and then realize I don't have a good way to handle the film and develop the B&W, so I probably won't do that until I live in a house with a room I can make sufficiently dark to use as a darkroom.

I have about $3500 into LF - that's the Chamonix, v700, 65mm, 90mm, 135mm, 150mm, 210mm, 300mm, and way too many film holders and backs and accessories. It'd be more like $1800 if I'd stuck to the Chamonix, one lens, and the v700.

Sludge Tank posted:

are you havin a giggle mate
Aye, mate, I'm havin' a giggle at your use of the phrase "straight out of camera" to refer to pictures from print film.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
If I was to impulse buy a Pentax 67, what would be a good focal length lens to get? Assume something wider for landscapes and whatnot.

Are there 3rd party lenses for Pentax MF?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

MrBlandAverage posted:

It'd be more like $1800 if I'd stuck to the Chamonix, one lens, and the v700.

That's about what I've spent recently getting my setup going.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ZippySLC posted:

If I was to impulse buy a Pentax 67, what would be a good focal length lens to get? Assume something wider for landscapes and whatnot.

One lens, get the 75/4.5. Two lenses, get the late 55/4 and the 105/2.4. That's 35mm and 28/55mm equivalent lenses. Get the SMC Takumar or SMC Pentax lenses if you can, some lenses have Super Takumar versions which only have single coating.

Do you mean the pentax ME? Yes, anything in K-mount. Which is one of the largest lens libraries in the world.

vvv this isn't targeted at you specifically, just the general LF cost discussion vvv

You can get into LF very solidly for under $1k, most of the people with the big budgets just like the fancy handmade Chamonix cameras (which are gorgeous and lightweight) and top of the line stuff. If Pompous Rhombus ever sells that Xenar I will have an Orbit for sale for cheap. Press cameras are also extremely cheap. If you do this on the mega cheap you can probably have a nice setup for a couple hundred plus the scanner.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 11, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ZippySLC posted:

If you don't buy the Pentax 75mm f/4.5; angry lens fanatics will come to your house and scold you for your poor life choices.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Paul MaudDib posted:

One lens, get the 75/4.5. Two lenses, get the late 55/4 and the 105/2.4. That's 35mm and 28/55mm equivalent lenses. Get the SMC Takumar or SMC Pentax lenses if you can, some lenses have Super Takumar versions which only have single coating.

Do you mean the pentax ME? Yes, anything in K-mount. Which is one of the largest lens libraries in the world.

You can get into LF very solidly for under $1k, most of the people with the big budgets just like the fancy handmade Chamonix cameras (which are gorgeous and lightweight) and top of the line stuff. If Pompous Rhombus ever sells that Xenar I will have an Orbit for sale for cheap. Press cameras are also extremely cheap. If you do this on the mega cheap you can probably have a nice setup for a couple hundred plus the scanner.

I already have a K1000 and a K5 so I am good with K mount lenses for a while.

I'm reasonably sure I don't want to go LF. The Pentax 67 is probably as big as I'd like to go.

8th-snype posted:

If you don't buy the Pentax 75mm f/4.5; angry lens fanatics will come to your house and scold you for your poor life choices.

Plenty of fodder for them even if I do get that lens.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

ZippySLC posted:

I'm reasonably sure I don't want to go LF.

You're wallet is not safe :unsmigghh:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

Aye, mate, I'm havin' a giggle at your use of the phrase "straight out of camera" to refer to pictures from print film.

dingdingding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Also, does it look like large format film will be around for awhile?

• Locked thread