Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The only issues I've ever had with washes were solved by shaking the pot about. I've had older Citadel paints actually crack when I applied them though. That sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those Iron Warriors are really spot-on, good stuff! :haw:

Made some more progress on that Wraithguard. I've come to the conclusion that i can't use pins to swap his arms, the tops scrape against the shoulders too much and I'm in constant fear of tearing paint off with my nails :arghfist::saddowns:

I'm really happy with how he's turning out but unless I get even smaller magnets than I have now, I'll have to make do with just the one weapon option.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
That's a very nice mottled effect.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I'm thinking of getting babby's first airbrush. I'm trying to do this somewhat on a budget, and I was looking around, and I was thinking of getting a Badger Patriot 105 brush and a Paasche D3000R compressor/tank. I'm fairly confident about my choice of brush (the large needle should be good especially as I'm planning on airbrushing citadel metallics, no?), but I'm not sure about the regulator. Also, would I need some kind of hose interconnect or something because of the different brands? Is there something I'm overlooking having had no experience with airbrushes before?

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

So I'm thinking of getting babby's first airbrush. I'm trying to do this somewhat on a budget, and I was looking around, and I was thinking of getting a Badger Patriot 105 brush and a Paasche D3000R compressor/tank. I'm fairly confident about my choice of brush (the large needle should be good especially as I'm planning on airbrushing citadel metallics, no?), but I'm not sure about the regulator. Also, would I need some kind of hose interconnect or something because of the different brands? Is there something I'm overlooking having had no experience with airbrushes before?

I have a patriot 105 and I love it for doing basecoating and the like and especially tanks. I wish I had a slightly smaller needle now that I'm more confident in my airbrushing skills though.

I have an iwata compressor, and between the brush and the compressor it came with all of the hoses I'd need and a converter, I'd think yours would too.

fakeedit: I just looked up that compressor and it has the regulator attach directly to the compressor/tank and the connection off those is pretty standard, you should be fine.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
So after like a month of trying marine schemes I've finally settled on it:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

How do you achieve the fogged up or colored lens effect on mostly flying vehicles like the Stormtalon or Stormraven? I remember some time ago just trying to apply wash on one of those windows, but it came out looking terrible.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Holy Batman was I away for a while. 2000+ posts to go through. :v:

Anyway I was thinking of stripping the paint of the few guardsmen I actually painted with the cadian sceheme and be a bit more creative. The Games Workshop store I went to suggested Dettol. Seems good but I was wondering if anyone else has any other recommendations. By the way I'm in Sweden so stuff in the US, at least the brands, aren't available here so if any Euro goons are around to give tips that would be even better.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Does anyone else use Vallejo's Brush-On Primer, in black? I've used it for this month's oath, and I'm very unsatisfied with it. Even after several coats, there are little specks of the underlying pewter peeking thru. I never had this issue with P3 spray-on primer. Thoughts?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

Does anyone else use Vallejo's Brush-On Primer, in black? I've used it for this month's oath, and I'm very unsatisfied with it. Even after several coats, there are little specks of the underlying pewter peeking thru. I never had this issue with P3 spray-on primer. Thoughts?

The polyurethane primer? I've used it on my Black Legion without any hitches and usually a single coat has been perfect.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TastyAvocado posted:

Sup pre-heresy buddy. Looking good. Death guard are one of my favorite themes and they are way easier to paint than what I'm doing.

Are you going to color the studs brass like your trim?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
No, I tried that on my first test and didn't like it as much.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
TastyAvocado, I'd like to see some dirt and weathering on that nice white contrasting paint!

An update from me:

Started 3 new sculpts, hopefully to complete at least 2.

1:56 Starship crew:

1:56 planetFaller combat-drone operator/communications and 1:100 IDF (again).

Did some FOW work on the final 5 tanks from the Open Fire! box set. Seriously, that box set doesn't end. It's ridiculous. Want to give them a sort of "lived in" vibe.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

You own an airbrush. Why would you use brush-on primer?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TastyAvocado posted:

That's an awesome scheme, mate. The earthy colouring is really nice and I love your amber lenses :haw:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Speaking of airbrush primer, how do you guys run it? Last time it seemed very fickle. Straight was too thick but even slightly diluted it sprayed on wattery, pooling in recesses and pulling off raised edges.

I have Vallejo white surface primer. I tried psi around 10-20 depending how it was behaving.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Leperflesh posted:

You own an airbrush. Why would you use brush-on primer?

I didn't think that setting up the airbrush would be worthwhile for a single model.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Speaking of airbrush primer, how do you guys run it? Last time it seemed very fickle. Straight was too thick but even slightly diluted it sprayed on wattery, pooling in recesses and pulling off raised edges.

I have Vallejo white surface primer. I tried psi around 10-20 depending how it was behaving.

I've found Vallejo's gray surface primer to be much easier to use with zero dilution. It's so light it's basically white anyways.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Is there something I'm overlooking having had no experience with airbrushes before?

The one thing I overlooked was some kind of stand/holder. You can't set down a typical airbrush on a flat table once it's full of paint.

edit: It doesn't need to be a fancy purchase, it can be as simple as two hooks on the side of your table. I just felt like a dummy the first time I loaded my airbrush with paint and realized I couldn't set it down without spilling everywhere.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 10, 2013

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

plester1 posted:

The one thing I overlooked was some kind of stand/holder. You can't set down a typical airbrush on a flat table once it's full of paint.

edit: It doesn't need to be a fancy purchase, it can be as simple as two hooks on the side of your table. I just felt like a dummy the first time I loaded my airbrush with paint and realized I couldn't set it down without spilling everywhere.

I agree, you need one, but try this in the meantime.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
/\/\/\ What a cheap n' easy fix for an airbrush holder. Wish I thought of that a few weeks ago.

plester1 posted:

I've found Vallejo's gray surface primer to be much easier to use with zero dilution. It's so light it's basically white anyways.

I used this without diluting as well and worked great. I've got some pics of my 5 vehicle oath primed around if you're not sure on the shade, but it's close enough to white you honestly shouldn't have to worry.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I use all three Vallejo colored primers. Slam your dial to 30psi and dilute it about 4:1 primer to water, mix well, and it should work.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Tried my hand at painting faces again.

:sigh: I'm not sure what to do here. Also, I'm not sure why everything's so dusty-looking. Too much white primer? Too little white primer? Standing too close? Day was too humid?

Tara, on the other hand, turned out magnificent. Not a fan on her right/our left side eye, but that probably won't be too hard to redo. Aside from that, I think she might be done.

demota fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 10, 2013

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

demota posted:

:sigh: I'm not sure what to do here. Also, I'm not sure why everything's so dusty-looking. Too much white primer? Too little white primer? Standing too close? Day was too humid?

It's either too humid or your can is toast. The dusty look happens when too much of the paint goes weird in the air on its way to the model. Unfortunately, if you put the can up really close, the propellant will gnaw on the plastic and pit it instead. The only way to win is to buy an airbrush, but only if you have the space to use it :sigh:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

demota posted:

Tried my hand at painting faces again.

Your primer fuzzed up. Could've been caused by several things, either too humid, sprayed too far away, or just a bad can.

Not really anything you can do about it besides strip it and try again or just leave it. I like to prime with Liquitex professional spray paint because it's water based and can't fuzz up (though it can drip/pool up much more easily but that's down to how heavily you're spraying)

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

plester1 posted:

Don't you guys have one of those pots you use to clean your airbrush out of paint that doubles as a holder? You can get them for £10.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I run it straight at 18-20 psi, which is my default setting. It seems like there's a huge range in how people like to run it though so whatever feels comfortable.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Yeah, seems like I needed more PSI.

This stuff dries fast and forms a weird skin. I noticed it as it dries on my latex gloves and starts peeling like I was sunburned. I also noticed how bad it coated the cup of the brush like whole milk down the side of a glass.

After I was done I noticed a large flap of dried primer blown away from the tip. The PSI must have broken it apart and allowed me to spray uninterrupted. Though it is a pain to clear it out, or at least much harder than my new passion: daler-rowney FW acrylic inks.

The art store literally across the street sells them for $5.80 and I am becoming reckless. I am looking for armies to try and conceive so I can buy base colors to spray over white primer.

They also have pearlescent colors which are primarily a color with a sheen to it and then some color pearlescents which are more like the inside of a seashell, white-ish with a sheen of a specific color. They look really cool in the bottle but I have no idea how they would look on a model. Might be cool on a mini like stealth suits. Paint them dark brown or something and give them a coat of this stuff. The hope would be it would look like the predator sheen as you move your head around. Shame the models were not made in clear acrylic.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 10, 2013

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wow, tonight I pre-basecoated my first tank. An airbrush makes this so easy it feels criminal

e: ^ I was preparing a new batch of washes last night using the same acrylic inks. I had some puddles left over from trying to match GW colors and without any mixer they are really something else- super bright and take forever to dry.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

Wow, tonight I pre-basecoated my first tank. An airbrush makes this so easy it feels criminal
You'll get over it by the time you paint the fifth tank/large monster. gently caress doing this with a brush.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Don't you guys have one of those pots you use to clean your airbrush out of paint that doubles as a holder? You can get them for £10.

For those in America land you can get one for $9

http://www.harborfreight.com/airbrush-cleaning-bottle-68154.html

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
This is the one I have, I dont know how anyone with an airbrush does not have one. How do you clean it?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Currently I use my laundry sink. Other than catching the spray what to these cleaning stations actually do?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Currently I use my laundry sink. Other than catching the spray what to these cleaning stations actually do?
Allow you to inhale less thinner fumes than without them. That's enough for me. Also, free airbrush holder.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Who's got the best washes? I'm still working towards rebuilding an inventory of paints, having restarted from the sweet deal that was the reaper bones kickstarter last year. I'm really short on washes, though, and I need to get some poo poo painted. What's the crowd favorite brand right now?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Allow you to inhale less thinner fumes than without them. That's enough for me. Also, free airbrush holder.

I just keep my mask on when cleaning.

Bad Munki posted:

Who's got the best washes? I'm still working towards rebuilding an inventory of paints, having restarted from the sweet deal that was the reaper bones kickstarter last year. I'm really short on washes, though, and I need to get some poo poo painted. What's the crowd favorite brand right now?

Washes are one of the few things I actually get from GW. Though admittedly I haven't really tried any other brands (other than Les' home-made recipe).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

(other than Les' home-made recipe).

I haven't seen that. Trip report?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Indolent Bastard posted:

Washes are one of the few things I actually get from GW. Though admittedly I haven't really tried any other brands (other than Les' home-made recipe).

Try making your own, it's really easy and the 'leftover' materials like inks and matte medium can be used a ton of different ways.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I haven't seen that. Trip report?

They worked ok, I found they didn't flow as well as I'd like, but I may have just been bad at ratios. Also they tend to settle so you need to agitate the heck out of them prior to use.

e: That said I have a rust wash that I made that I swear by. It turns Boltgun Metal into scavenged old metal in a flash, perfect for orks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

On PSI Talk, just got myself a master G-444 and a compressor. Is there a best case PSI I should be running at? I've been running at about $20 but the brush itself doest mention where it should be sitting.

Also, how fine of a line should I be expecting to be able to paint with this thing? I've only been using it for base coating so far, but I would love to do some detail work with it. Part of the problem of not knowing what PSI to run at is not being sure if I've also made the paint to thin.

• Locked thread