Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just finally got 100% of steam achievements for this. I was sad there wasn't any for the Wheels of Fury DLC, but now I'm finally completely finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
After the trademark registration was leaked out, UFG have confirmed that they're working on a new game in the Sleeping Dogs universe called Triad Wars. That's literally all they're able to confirm this year, though, but the general suspicion I've seen poking around is that this is either a tablet thing or what they wanted those multiplayer coders for...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Or yet another MOBA.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Please no. I've never played a MOBA that I've found fun at all and I already dislike that it's becoming a bandwagon thing :negative:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
By tablet thing, I assume tablets will be one of the new weapons in The Next Adventures of Wei Shen : Creative Impaler.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I just started playing this game last night, and have a few questions.

- what are the best police/triad/etc. upgrades? (I'm used to RPGs where some of them outright suck.)
- I assume I should putz around and try to do as many side (non-police/triad) missions as possible when they appear?
- Anything else I should know lest I cut myself off from awesome content/game breaking abilities?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well, you get enough XP that you will get all the upgrades eventually. The ability where someone brings you a car can be pretty handy. Make sure you do the various girlfriends quests when they appear. The other side quests you can do at your own pace. It's best to do them when you see them if you plan on 100% the game. It can be frustrating trying to track down some that don't appear on the map towards the end.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

monster on a stick posted:

I just started playing this game last night, and have a few questions.

- what are the best police/triad/etc. upgrades? (I'm used to RPGs where some of them outright suck.)
- I assume I should putz around and try to do as many side (non-police/triad) missions as possible when they appear?
- Anything else I should know lest I cut myself off from awesome content/game breaking abilities?
I honestly can't remember which upgrades were better or worse, it somewhat depends on how good you get with the martial combat. Gun-related upgrades are probably the least important, simply because you don't go on shooting sprees that often (especially not early in the game).

You can't really cut yourself off though. There's more than enough police XP in police missions and drug busts, so don't worry about that - you'll have every ability before long. Triad XP isn't quite as plentiful, so you may have to rely on certain repeatable DLC missions if you have them, or replay missions with better scores to fill up to the last triad rank(s). But again, if you rank up all the way you'll get all upgrades. You can also collect most of the Zodiac statues for melee upgrades, some are locked in areas you can't access until story quests take you there, and IIRC if you miss them then, you can replay the mission and pick up the statues anyway.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I did find that with the Triad upgrades focusing on toughness instead of damage will let you get in more hits against enemies, thus earning more Triad XP.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Do the girlfriend missions as soon as they appear. They unlock stupidly useful things throughout the entire game, and are far and away the quickest key to success.

Also, regardless of what the soundtrack is doing, a headshot during shooting extends your time in slow motion. Always, always go for headshots - once you get in a rhythm you can clear entire rooms with headshots only, swiftly moving from one to the next.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

Do the girlfriend missions as soon as they appear. They unlock stupidly useful things throughout the entire game, and are far and away the quickest key to success.

Also, regardless of what the soundtrack is doing, a headshot during shooting extends your time in slow motion. Always, always go for headshots - once you get in a rhythm you can clear entire rooms with headshots only, swiftly moving from one to the next.

OK, a few more questions. (For reference, I just went through the wedding bit.)

- when do I always get access to a pistol? I did the first mission where you are equipped with one, and it seems that you only get it occasionally; is that correct?
- the girlfriends unlock being able to see the health shrines/cameras/etc. but it doesn't appear that there is (a) a way to see that on the main map, or (b) know which ones you've utilized. Or am I missing something?
- am I missing something if I don't finish all the races/drug busts (outside of sweet experience)?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

OK, a few more questions. (For reference, I just went through the wedding bit.)

- when do I always get access to a pistol? I did the first mission where you are equipped with one, and it seems that you only get it occasionally; is that correct?
- the girlfriends unlock being able to see the health shrines/cameras/etc. but it doesn't appear that there is (a) a way to see that on the main map, or (b) know which ones you've utilized. Or am I missing something?
- am I missing something if I don't finish all the races/drug busts (outside of sweet experience)?
Yeah, guns are temporary. There are certain guns added to your safehouses with DLC so you can always pick them up again, and some (DLC) outfits come with guns, but generally you have to treat them as consumables and the game has a tendency to despawn guns you carry before missions.

The shrines etc. should appear on the map as well, IIRC the icons are grey if you haven't "collected" them and white if you have. I'm not sure if you have to detect them on the minimap first, but they definitely get added to the main map as well at some point.

Races, drug busts, cameras etc. mainly add to completion and are used for achievements, you can skip them if you want. Well, races also reward money IIRC.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When you get a gun in Sleeping Dogs, it's the game's way of telling you that poo poo Just Got Real. I liked how rare they were, it gave the game a definite distinctive feel over other open-world crime games, and gave a lot of weight to certain missions.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

That being said, I'm pretty sure downloading one of the free community packs gives you a free pistol that respawns in your hideouts after you complete the main story.

But yeah, it's awesome how guns are generally pretty rare, and it really makes you feel powerful when you know you've got a backup plan tucked in your back pocket.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Crappy Jack posted:

That being said, I'm pretty sure downloading one of the free community packs gives you a free pistol that respawns in your hideouts after you complete the main story.

It's the golden Desert Eagle used by Ponytail, right? That gun is so rad.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

You also get guns sometimes when you're busting the drug gangs and hacking cameras, I think 4 or 5 of those involve shooting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's also a DLC or two that up and spawns guns right in Wei's crappy starting apartment whenever you start the game. One plants an assault rifle on the kitchen counter and wearing the Rico outfit also spawns his own gun somewhere, I think.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

What if Triad Wars was more of the territory acquisition in Saints Row?

For example, you take control of the Sun On Yee as the K18 assholes intrude on your turf and try to take over your lucrative tour bus business. Or venture into a fish processing plant to teach them a lesson about running guns, etc.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

orcane posted:

Yeah, guns are temporary. There are certain guns added to your safehouses with DLC so you can always pick them up again, and some (DLC) outfits come with guns, but generally you have to treat them as consumables and the game has a tendency to despawn guns you carry before missions.

The shrines etc. should appear on the map as well, IIRC the icons are grey if you haven't "collected" them and white if you have. I'm not sure if you have to detect them on the minimap first, but they definitely get added to the main map as well at some point.

Races, drug busts, cameras etc. mainly add to completion and are used for achievements, you can skip them if you want. Well, races also reward money IIRC.

FYI on seeing the shrines, etc. on the map - I didn't notice that the map (at least on the PC version) has a toggle button to show collectibles instead of objectives. You are correct, grey means 'not collected.' I assume it is a good idea to go collect all the health shrines now, since drug busts with 10 thugs are starting to kick my rear end?

As much as driving is fun, I'm glad the game has cabs for when I just want to get on with it. The first time I accidentally hijacked a cab instead of hailing it, then had some guy try to enter it at the next stop light. "Do I look like a cab driver?"

So more questions:
- I get that food/drinks are buffs, and they last some period of time (end of the day or until I die/arrested/something), should I just always be buying buffs whenever they are convenient?
- What are the best vehicles to buy?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

So more questions:
- I get that food/drinks are buffs, and they last some period of time (end of the day or until I die/arrested/something), should I just always be buying buffs whenever they are convenient?

Always have at least the food one up so your health can regen (and because a man who doesn't eat pork buns is never a real man). I like the extra damage energy drinks too, but they do make it harder to get triad XP since you'll be hitting things less times, but it ends up being not THAT big a deal, really.

Vehicles are primarily a taste thing, I don't think I ever really had a hard time just using whatever during races.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Jet Jaguar posted:

What if Triad Wars was more of the territory acquisition in Saints Row?

For example, you take control of the Sun On Yee as the K18 assholes intrude on your turf and try to take over your lucrative tour bus business. Or venture into a fish processing plant to teach them a lesson about running guns, etc.

Square-Enix's current direction as a company highly suggests it's multiplayer.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Vehicles are primarily a taste thing, I don't think I ever really had a hard time just using whatever during races.

if you don't have the awesome Wheels of Fury car to run in Class A races, the ones I used were:

Class A - Velocita
Class B - Terre GT
Class C - Enterprise (maybe?)
Class A Bike - 1100 NA-R
Class B Bike - GX300

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Buy a Blast. Best car.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Listen to what the game is telling you. A man without a pork bun in his hand can never be a whole man.

Are you a whole man, Wei Shen?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So I started the mission called The Election not realizing it was the end game.

:stonk: That was pretty loving intense. The extended torture sequence, Wei killing everyone in his way - including a counter move against Tong, resulting in that big knife going right through him like a skewer. Then Wei telling Obviously Evil Police Guy that "yeah the plan is that you won't last a day in jail :smug:" What an ending.

GetGamesGo has everything (including DLC) on sale, and I'm thinking of buying some story packs - I already have Year of the Snake, anything else worth it?

VVVV - oh god that was completely :staredog: Granted my Wei by this point had already stuffed at least a half-dozen heads into fans which resulted in blood gushing everywhere, not to mention dropping engines on people or throwing them onto meat hooks or whatever those spiked things on the floor were. I think Wei has some anger management issues he has to deal with.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 13, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What, not gonna mention pitching the final badguy into an ice chipper. :stare::hf::gonk:

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Another thing about guns; once you're far enough into the police skill tree, you can get a shotgun out of the trunk of any police car.

I found this totally useless unless I was planning to rampage for a few minutes before loading a savegame, but YMMV.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

Some interesting stuff up at http://www.sleepingdogs.net/globalstats

The most popular radio station seems to be HKLUB, which is an odd way to spell Daptone.

Also not as much time spent in Aberdeen. Probably because there is nothing there.

HKLUB is the station that plays Yellow Fever isn't? Whenever I was in a car I kept trying to hunt down that song, it's so darn catchy.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

HKLUB is the station that plays Yellow Fever isn't? Whenever I was in a car I kept trying to hunt down that song, it's so darn catchy.

If you aren't listening to Daptones, I don't know what to tell you. :colbert:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do any of the radio stations play that Hard Way song, from the van chase with Jackie Ma? If not, why the gently caress not?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 13, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The Kins posted:

After the trademark registration was leaked out, UFG have confirmed that they're working on a new game in the Sleeping Dogs universe called Triad Wars. That's literally all they're able to confirm this year, though, but the general suspicion I've seen poking around is that this is either a tablet thing or what they wanted those multiplayer coders for...

I can't imagine they will be jumping ship from the genre that they had pretty great success with. (though knowing SquareEnix, they probably think the game was terrible and a flop)

Here's hoping it is what I think it is, namely another open world kung-fu game except this time you can choose between, oh, three different triads,a nd the game will play out differently with each one, kinda like the first and second GTA games with Zaibatsu and the mob families and whatnot. That would be awesome.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Do any of the radio stations play that Hard Way song, from the van chase with Jackie Ma? If not, why the gently caress not?

SOFTLY has you covered.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh, it's part of SOFTLY's regular rotation? Sweet.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
United Front should come out with a Karaoke DLC. Wei wants to sing "Don't Stop Believing" so badly.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

If you aren't listening to Daptones, I don't know what to tell you. :colbert:

Daptones radio crushes. Every other station remains in desperate need of a pork bun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GetGamesGo has everything (including DLC) on sale, and I'm thinking of buying some story packs - I already have Year of the Snake, anything else worth it?

Get Nightmare In North Point. It's the Halloween DLC, basically, so the timing is pretty drat perfect. It's also a lot of fun and a pretty cool changeup from fighting triad guys.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Plus Wei gets to learn the greatest secret of Ancient Chinese Magic. :haw:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tamir Lenk posted:

Daptones radio crushes. Every other station remains in desperate need of a pork bun.

I was at the Vancouver Night Market this past weekend, and true to the game, pork buns, curry fish balls, and spicy squid were all in abundance. Vancouver is also where United Front is located, so I'd like to think that the guy hawking Xinjiang-style chicken-on-a-stick was the same guy in the game. Said stick chicken was most awesome and if you have a chance to try it, do so - there was a reason why people were stacked deep at that booth.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Get Nightmare In North Point. It's the Halloween DLC, basically, so the timing is pretty drat perfect. It's also a lot of fun and a pretty cool changeup from fighting triad guys.

Thanks; I ended up getting that, Zodiac, and the Dragon Master DLC. Going after Triad members with a meat cleaver :black101:

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

The Kins posted:

This is, like, the best news of the year. Has UFG made any other games? Can we predict what sort of game they'll make? And, if they'll be able to find another publisher for it? Because, it seems like Square-Enix is kinda lovely right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
They made ModNation Racers and LittleBigPlanet Karting both of which were pretty quality if that's your kinda game. They seem like solid devs.

• Locked thread