Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

fordan posted:

Those were the initial places I looked, but but Craigslist around here is still about $100 under that for newer iPads (although without 3G). And the ads you see are what people are asking, not necessarily getting. Ebay auctions with bids say probably $250-$300 top, vs $205 from Gazelle and $220-$240 for Amazon.

The first one I see on eBay when I look for an ATT iPad 2 64GB is one that is going for $325 with 89 bids. So I think a CL listing for $350-400 would get you some serious offers depending on what kind of shape it is in and if you threw in any cases or accessories.

It certainly is more than what you were claiming, which is that you couldn't find anyplace offering "even half" of what M2S showed. As I said, it is a good general guide. I use it for when I want a quick price check and haven't had any serious problems with the price it shows. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Mac2Sell is garbage and is in no way based on reality.

Seriously. Just look on eBay and sort by sold listings only. I've found that you can usually beat eBay's average selling prices by maybe $50-75 on Craigslist if you're incredibly patient and willing to tell people that want to haggle to gently caress off.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Will Apple continue to sell the 4th gen iPad new on their site once the new one goes up? If so, based on past releases, do we have any idea what the price may be? My iPad 3 is still hanging in there, mostly because I only surf and read comics/kindle books on it but a $300 upgrade would be worth it just to get all of my devices back on the same charging cables.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

loudog999 posted:

Will Apple continue to sell the 4th gen iPad new on their site once the new one goes up? If so, based on past releases, do we have any idea what the price may be? My iPad 3 is still hanging in there, mostly because I only surf and read comics/kindle books on it but a $300 upgrade would be worth it just to get all of my devices back on the same charging cables.

No one will know for sure until the new one launches. It's probable return iPad 4s will have a low price, although if you're looking for a low difference def sell your iPad to make up the difference.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

loudog999 posted:

I would be surprised if they continue to sell new ones, but refurbs should be available for awhile.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I would be surprised if they continue to sell new ones, but refurbs should be available for awhile.
That or keep an eye on SA-Mart.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That or keep an eye on SA-Mart.

Dude, did you get your parrot sped up a whole bunch or am I way more hammered that I thought I was right now.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Has Apple officially announced the Oct 22 date, or is it still just a rumor from the (admittedly usually reliable) AllThingsD? Seems like the press invites should have gone out by now given it's 8 days out.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

No official invite yet

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think a week out is when they usually send the invitations, or at least that's how it was last month for the iPhone.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

fordan posted:

Has Apple officially announced the Oct 22 date, or is it still just a rumor from the (admittedly usually reliable) AllThingsD? Seems like the press invites should have gone out by now given it's 8 days out.

Invites haven't been sent out, but it's happening.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Went to visit my parents this weekend, and my mom showed me her brand-spanking-new 64 gig iPad mini she'd just purchased. :negative: She did the exact same thing a year ago when she got her 4S a couple weeks before the 5.

I'm the acknowledged gadget nerd in the family, I don't know why they don't just check with me before making these purchases.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

She might have gotten a discount? I hope you didn't ruin it for her with the expected goon response of "drat it Mom, you are dumb! The next version is coming out on Oct 22!".

If you want to be a good son, why not try and sell that poo poo and buy her the new iPad Mini2 when it comes out?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Nah, I kept my mouth shut when she showed me but mentioned it in passing to my dad. She's not exactly a power user anyway. It's just kind of amusing it happened two years in a row.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Space Racist posted:

Nah, I kept my mouth shut when she showed me but mentioned it in passing to my dad. She's not exactly a power user anyway. It's just kind of amusing it happened two years in a row.

One month to exchange it if a new one comes out

Or she won't give a poo poo about the bleeding edge and it's all good. They still sell iPad 2's for that reason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

One month to exchange it if a new one comes out
From an Apple Store, yes. Other retailers have different return policies. 14 days is not uncommon.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
And the invite is out, and I'm a needless worrier.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Countdown to a tech blog over analyzing the coloured shapes on the invite in 3...2...1...

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 15, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iPad with rounded screen!

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Heavier, thicker iPad mini in pastel colours :v:

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
That is clearly an iWatch. It is a watch band with an oval coming out of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's clearly a butt and an almond.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Will never not see the top of the apple logo as a butt and an almond now.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
A revolutionary almond shaped pedometer suppository.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Aphrodite posted:

That's clearly a butt and an almond.

Well done sir.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I saw butt too but ended up with diarrhea of color instead of an almond.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
"We still have a lot to cover"? ... IPOD SOCKS WERE ONLY THE BEGINNING!

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
A lot of rear end to cover.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just want another iPod Touch refresh, is that so hard to ask?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

JazzFlight posted:

I just want another iPod Touch refresh, is that so hard to ask?

People still buy those things? I wouldn't be surprised to see that get discontinued soon since the iPad mini is surely eating its lunch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love my 5th gen iPod Touch. 32gigs holds nearly all my music and the battery lasts forever. I guess not many people have an iPhone dedicated for apps/phone calls and an iPod just for music though. But yeah I carry both every day.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I love my 5th gen iPod Touch. 32gigs holds nearly all my music and the battery lasts forever. I guess not many people have an iPhone dedicated for apps/phone calls and an iPod just for music though. But yeah I carry both every day.

Why not get a 32GB iPhone? Genuinely curious. Having both seems like a colossal waste of money.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Mu Zeta posted:

Older touches are great music players yes, but would you pay $400 for a new one that's basically identical to your current phone?

Between the Mini and the iPhone, I don't think there's much of a market for the Touch anymore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Why not get a 32GB iPhone? Genuinely curious. Having both seems like a colossal waste of money.

I bought the Touch last year when it came out and the iPhone later. I listen to a lot of music and didn't want the battery to drain. I'll probably consolidate at some point.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
The touch is also there for people who don't want/can't have an iPhone with a contract that they pay $50+ a month for.

You guys keep forgetting there's millions of people not like you out there.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

The touch is also there for people who don't want/can't have an iPhone with a contract that they pay $50+ a month for.

You guys keep forgetting there's millions of people not like you out there.
Is it even really possible to get a new phone without having to pay a $30-50 data contract? I kind of figured they'd just about transitioned most people onto data contracts by now.

quote:

As of July 18, 2013, 90 percent of global handset sales are attributed to the purchase of Android and iPhone smartphones.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Wario In Real Life posted:

Is it even really possible to get a new phone without having to pay a $30-50 data contract? I kind of figured they'd just about transitioned most people onto data contracts by now.

You just buy a burner and use the iPod Touch as a wifi-only iPhone. They're fantastic little devices, slimmer and nicer than the iPhone at a fraction of the price. $209 for the 16gb, $279 for the 32gb.

Personally I'm making the switch to the iPhone 5s because my new job increased my income enough that I can justify the purchase, but for someone on a tight budget iPod Touch plus a cheap flip phone is an excellent option.

The iPad Mini isn't really a competitor to the Touch any more than the full sized iPad was. Neither device is pocketable unless you wear comically huge jorts or something.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

BGrifter posted:

The iPad Mini isn't really a competitor to the Touch any more than the full sized iPad was. Neither device is pocketable unless you wear comically huge jorts or something.
The Mini fills the "media consumption device parents buy for their tweens" role.

The current iPod Touch is a strange beast indeed. I'm honestly curious to see sales numbers on it just because it's such an interesting case. When the new ones were first announced I was excited to purchase one as a Christmas gift for my GF but the price tag was pretty steep and she just ended up getting her own iPhone a few months later anyway.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Wario In Real Life posted:

The Mini fills the "media consumption device parents buy for their tweens" role.

The current iPod Touch is a strange beast indeed. I'm honestly curious to see sales numbers on it just because it's such an interesting case. When the new ones were first announced I was excited to purchase one as a Christmas gift for my GF but the price tag was pretty steep and she just ended up getting her own iPhone a few months later anyway.

Entirely anecdotal, but if the kids my nieces and nephew associate with are any indication the iPod Touch blows the iPad Mini away in that category. I've never seen an iPad Mini in the wild, but every kid under 16 seems to have an iPod Touch.

Could just be that the Mini is newer and hasn't had enough time to replace old devices, I see a lot more 4th gen iPods than 5th gen ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I pay $25 a month for a cheap-rear end Android phone on Virgin Mobile that I barely use and carry around a 64gb iPod Touch for a great camera, HD recording, games, and web-stuff when on WiFi.

I'm the market for the Touch. And I don't want to invest in jorts for a Mini when I have a full-sized iPad at home.