Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm still going with my hat theory you guys :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Nidoking posted:

I remain spoiler-free and make sure that everything I say about the game is so absurd it can't possibly be mistaken for truth. This, as you can imagine, is particularly difficult.

Tell me about it, I've nearly written so many jokes or sly comments - been sooo incredibly hard to resist, especially after a few of the posts in the past couple months that I'm sure made your irony meter explode. I feel just like ██████████████!

Back on topic, I'll agree that it irked me how the group's immediate reaction to "He's got a deadly virus, guys" was "Well that sucks" rather than "Get me the gently caress out of here and stop him from exhaling into my air!" - I can forgive all kinds of weird poo poo that has happened, but for some reason that snapped me out of the suspension of disbelief.

I'm also real glad that my first run was with Japanese audio - I didn't expect that scene at all, so I was playing it (on low volume) while watching my kids play. Just before Quark's freakout, my young kids decided it was a perfect time to come over and see what daddy was doing on his game phone. Thankfully I noticed that they were trying too peek at the screen and was able to turn it away before they got too traumatized - can only imagine what their reaction would be to hearing Quark yell "KILL ME" rather than just knowing it was in a different language and generic bad stuff was going on.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That was strange as hell. It's hard to say if what Quark was saying was the truth, or just delusional ramblings of a virus-riddled brain.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Sentient Data posted:

Back on topic, I'll agree that it irked me how the group's immediate reaction to "He's got a deadly virus, guys" was "Well that sucks" rather than "Get me the gently caress out of here and stop him from exhaling into my air!" - I can forgive all kinds of weird poo poo that has happened, but for some reason that snapped me out of the suspension of disbelief.

Yeah, you'd think that Dio at the very least would have a reaction like that.

Pringles Monster
Nov 1, 2012

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Did Luna inject that into his kneecap?
Some more :science: and :spergin: but yep, Luna just did an intraosseous injection. In real life though, such a technique is actually used to set up a continuous infusion through the upper tibia (bone below kneecap). This offers very good vein access and can be used as an alternative to traditional intravenous access, especially in paediatric patients with difficult veins or are thrashing about like now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intraosseous_infusion

Also, a picture of a real-life bone injection gun:

Pringles Monster fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 9, 2013

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

^
And I thought that scene was messed up enough as is - didn't catch that it was actually injecting directly into loving bone marrow, I thought it was just into his leg muscle in general.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Nidoking posted:

I could probably bookmark this as an ironic post and just quote it after every update. I don't think Fedule would appreciate it if I did, though, so please try to make ironic statements that are more specific to actual situations that will arise over the course of the game. Only if you don't know what those situations are, of course - I remain spoiler-free and make sure that everything I say about the game is so absurd it can't possibly be mistaken for truth. This, as you can imagine, is particularly difficult.
... Except the post isn't intended to be ironic. It's genuine. This game keeps loving with me and going in directions I can't predict and I love it, because it doesn't seem to be doing it just to gently caress with the player and be contrary. Hindsight lets you see most of it possibly coming, especially with the multiple routes. That's why I like it messing with me that way. It's because they're actually being clever about it.

Changamer
Feb 20, 2013
Jesus Christ, Tenmyouji and Quark's voice actors in this part were amazing.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

Hindsight lets you see most of it possibly coming, especially with the multiple routes.

We're not deep enough to comment much on the multiple routes aspect, but the perfect example of this is the moved AB room that was mentioned previously. If you're actually observant, it was right there for you to see the whole time. With how tied-together the game can get, I can only imagine how long they spent planning things out before getting to the actual writing. It'd be neat to see if any of the preproduction planning/story notes still exist. Was there an art book released? I learned just recently that I missed out on having a watch if I'd known to preorder the game.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Sentient Data posted:

I learned just recently that I missed out on having a watch if I'd known to preorder the game.

You're not missing much. The watch is kind of neat, but it's not really something you can display, and it looks absolutely ridiculous if you wear it (and it's also too tight on my enormous wrists), so it just ends up sitting in the box off in a corner somewhere.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Have I mentioned recently how much Consternation creeps me the gently caress out? Having a little kid screaming at the top of his lungs for you to kill him doesn't help.

Once again, this game is fantastic when it comes to using music to set the atmosphere of a scene.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

If Quark thinks that he's sick and needs to get out it could lend some support to the idea that Quark really was jumping on the Betray button, although it doesn't quite explain why he wouldn't mention it to the others. Another option is that he thinks everyone there is sick and does need to die there (as he said in the earlier run).

There has been talk about Radical-6 and quarantine, but it seems odd that this is the first we've heard of a cure/control for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

... Except the post isn't intended to be ironic. It's genuine. This game keeps loving with me and going in directions I can't predict and I love it, because it doesn't seem to be doing it just to gently caress with the player and be contrary. Hindsight lets you see most of it possibly coming, especially with the multiple routes. That's why I like it messing with me that way. It's because they're actually being clever about it.
Ignore Nidoking, he's just kind of quoting people and going 'haha, you were wrong, haha.'

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Changamer posted:

Jesus Christ, Tenmyouji and Quark's voice actors in this part were amazing.

True.

As I keep saying, the English dub in VLR is pretty great. Quark (Erin Fitzgerald) is one of my least favourite characters voice-wise (a spot above Clover though) for a bunch of reasons I'm not even actually that sure of - mostly I'm just vaguely aware of liking his Japanese voice (Rie Kugimiya) more - but even so, they really sell the whole "kill meeeeeeeee" angle here and it's legitimately unnerving.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

DarkHamsterlord posted:

You're not missing much. The watch is kind of neat, but it's not really something you can display, and it looks absolutely ridiculous if you wear it (and it's also too tight on my enormous wrists), so it just ends up sitting in the box off in a corner somewhere.

Really? I keep getting compliments on mine from people who have no idea what VLR is.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I keep mine in its little container, after wearing the slab of iron that was the 999 watch started falling apart.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Pringles Monster posted:

Some more :science: and :spergin: but yep, Luna just did an intraosseous injection. In real life though, such a technique is actually used to set up a continuous infusion through the upper tibia (bone below kneecap). This offers very good vein access and can be used as an alternative to traditional intravenous access, especially in paediatric patients with difficult veins or are thrashing about like now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intraosseous_infusion

Also, a picture of a real-life bone injection gun:

loving OUCH!

I've had some aggressively nasty shots in the past, but this sounds especially bad! I'd have a hard time letting someone stab me through the tibia. I'd probably thrash around a lot... and then they would be justified in giving me a shot like this.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

curiousCat posted:

Really? I keep getting compliments on mine from people who have no idea what VLR is.

I dunno, I guess I'm just personally not a fan of that style of watch, it looks kind of goofy to me.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I think one of the pieces of music this game misses from 999 is Octal Game. It really would sound better in VLR, mainly because the part around ~1:10 really gives a supposed-to-be-apocalyptic-shelter feel.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I'm calling that Quark's hat already has the antidote in it.

He didn't go crazy until after he lost his hat, after all. And that was both times so far, right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kgummy posted:

I'm calling that Quark's hat already has the antidote in it.

He didn't go crazy until after he lost his hat, after all. And that was both times so far, right?

Nope. The first time, he still had his hat. We found his bracelet was dropped at some point, though.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

*Pant* *Pant* *Pant*

VLR OST: [Anxiousness]

According to these readings, he's in a very deep sleep.

Yes...

What about the anesthetic? How long will it last?

He shouldn't wake up for a few hours.

I think that might be the virus's fault.

Yeah? How do you know?

H-Huh? Oh, um, well...

How much do you know about this Radical-6?

O-Oh, not much.

All I've seen about it is that newspaper article Sigma showed me.

You better not be lying.

Why would I lie about that?
I've seen other viruses that do the same thing. I was just making a guess...

Yes. At least, I think so.

So what kind of virus is Radical-6?

Look at this last line.
"Immediate quarantine of any infected patients is strongly advised."

I already explained this. That's not possible.

Why not?

But the virus is clearly real.

So? Do you know how that thing works? I bet there's a thousand ways to hack it.
Zero Sr. probably just programmed it so that it would spit out whatever he wanted.

Have any of you guys heard anything about any sort of viral pandemic?

Well, no... but...

What?

What did you say?

Whoa whoa whoa! Alice, what the hell? Explain.

As much as I would love to, I'm sorry.
Time's up.

Time?

Hit the buttons on your bracelet.

Then we only have five minutes until the Chromatic Doors open downstairs.

Exactly.

As if you'd tell us even if there was time, right?

Right now we need to get to the elevator and head down to floor B.

What are we going to do about Quark?

Are you sure?

I can't just leave the boy here.
Besides, if we don't have Quark's bracelet, there'll be one team who can't open their secondary door.
If that happens...

...They'll get penalized.

Exactly.

I will carry Quark.
I will be able to move much faster than Tenmyouji.

Hn. You make a good point.
Look... are you sure about this? Can I trust you?

Fine. Just... be careful.

Of course.

[Music fades out]

We're running out of time here, people! Move!

VLR OST: [Strain]

At Phi's command we all began to run.
The door opened and we spilled out into the warehouse.

I don't know why they ran into the warehouse considering that's the opposite way from the elevator but whatever.

Also the bleeping dot clearly shows them not heading for the warehouse.

Chromatic Doors have opened.
Five minutes remain until Chromatic Doors close.

Who's going to go in which door?

Uh... What are our options?

We're almost out of time. Pay attention, we've only got time to do this once.
Just like before, there are only three possible combinations.

Three minutes remain until Chromatic Doors close.

I think the people who have the greatest disadvantage should get to choose.

What do you mean?

The people who have 1 BP.

So you, Phi, Luna, and Sigma?

Yes, exactly.

All right then. Who do you want to go with, Alice?

I'd rather die than get paired up with that prick.
Just... anyone but him.

drat, that's a lot of hate.

What did you expect?! You betrayed me!

Hey, I told you already...
That was Quar-

I don't believe you.

What, you're telling me you trust him more than me?
"Anybody other than Dio" could mean Quark, you know. You willing to pair up with him?

Anyone other than Tenmyouji is fine.
My reasoning is the same as Alice's. He betrayed me last time.

I guess that's fair.

If we want to honor Alice and Phi's requests, then we can go with any option besides C.
So, A or B.

Hold on. We've got two other people with 1 BP.
How about you, Luna?

Clover and K did betray me last time, but...

They're both pairs now, though.
And since you're a pair too, there's no way you'd end up going through the same door as them.

Yeah.

What about you?

U...Um... Let's see...

You know what to do, thread.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ahh, what the hell. Who here's for giving Tenmyouji a second chance?

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Speedball posted:

Ahh, what the hell. Who here's for giving Tenmyouji a second chance?

I am. Also Dio does make a valid point, the machine could be rigged by Zero Jr to give that result.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Speedball posted:

Who here's for giving Tenmyouji a second chance?

Hell, no. Screw the grouchy old coot. I reckon we should give Mr.-Way-Too-Obviously-Punkish Dio a chance to knife us instead. Let's see the cut of his gib free from Quark The Hell Child!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm with Dio, hoping it'll be funny.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Bearing in mind the flowchart from way back: If we could work out which one of these three choices won't work I think it'd be super cool to see what happens if we try it.

e: I imagine that one's Quark. Let's see what happens if we try to drag his body around.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This seems like a good time to remind everyone that you can vote for multiple options if you like.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I guess 13 people weren't paying attention when they voted for going with Quark.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
What happens if we decide to screw over the others and choose Quark? If it's possible at all this would be the best option. Since he can't wote he defaults to Ally meaning that if we betray him we're sure to get three points. This would at once remove the danger of getting killed by 0 points, set us up to get to 9 points by a combination of mutual alliance and one-sided betrayal, and ascertain that Quark doesn't get 9 points from the AB game after this one. And it doesn't seem like Clover getting 9 points poses any risk to us.

If we can't do that, I think K and Alice are more likely to betray Quark, and achieve at least one of the goals above. Thus, the next best option would be going with Ten. The downside of that is K fetting 9 points, and we don't know enough about him to be sure he doesn't go all "so long, losers". Whoever we chose, though, betrayal in the AB game seems like the only reasonable option, both because of the whole "tit for tat" rule, and because otherwise we'd risk death.

E:

Fedule posted:

This seems like a good time to remind everyone that you can vote for multiple options if you like.
Ok, gonna do that.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
we are gonna have to start betrayin' people someday, so let's just go with the guy nobody will have any problem picking betray against.

:regd10:

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
I voted for that because that's the safest place for the kid. I doubt the game will let us, because Alice, but it's really the safest.

Atomic Spud
Jun 24, 2013
I say go with Dio. That keeps the kid who may have huge medical issues coming up with the doctor, and away from murderin' K.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Aumanor posted:

What happens if we decide to screw over the others and choose Quark? If it's possible at all this would be the best option. Since he can't wote he defaults to Ally meaning that if we betray him we're sure to get three points.

How does it feel to be an rear end?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Aumanor posted:

What happens if we decide to screw over the others and choose Quark? If it's possible at all this would be the best option.

Choosing Quark means that both Alice and Phi get put against someone that they've said they don't want to pair with. That strikes me as something the others aren't going to go along with, protagonist powers be damned.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Artix posted:

Choosing Quark means that both Alice and Phi get put against someone that they've said they don't want to pair with. That strikes me as something the others aren't going to go along with, protagonist powers be damned.

There'd probably just be a quick "you're stupid Sigma, choose again".

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Heavy neutrino posted:

I guess 13 people weren't paying attention when they voted for going with Quark.

Remember the shower room door in 999, the one that Junpei had to trick everyone into opening? Who knows what could happen!

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Just for logistics' sake I think we should keep K wih Quark, just so he can lug the kid around easily.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
loving everyone over sometimes works for the best, go with the kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Clarste posted:

There'd probably just be a quick "you're stupid Sigma, choose again".

Considering how the last branch had only two diverging paths from a similar choice where K said he didn't want to go with... Tenmyouji, I think it was(?), that seems pretty likely.

• Locked thread