Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
What am I supposed to be using to break through to the Pulsating Hearts in the Crimson biomes? Is stocking up on bombs the best option? And if so, is there any way to just drop them in place? It's quite awkward to throw them where you need them.

For reference this is my first playthrough/world and I've just beaten the eye of cthulhu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You just need a higher tier pick to get through the crimson stone. As for the hearts themselves, you can use a hammer to bust them. The bomb method is still effective though if you can get them to blow up in the right place. Making little "bowls" with dirt to catch the bombs in helps. Also, combine with gel to make sticky bombs!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I love my bee gun on general principle, but goddamn is it ever worthless against wall of flesh.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

For those of you looking for a door solution during blood moons and the like, make a door out of active stone blocks or actuators on blocks hooked up to a easy access switch. Creates a door that can't be opened up by npcs.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

You just need a higher tier pick to get through the crimson stone. As for the hearts themselves, you can use a hammer to bust them. The bomb method is still effective though if you can get them to blow up in the right place. Making little "bowls" with dirt to catch the bombs in helps.

Or you can just turn them into sticky bombs, it's not like there's a shortage of gel.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I got a dino pet, it's pretty cute. If you get too far away it gets picked up by a pterodactyl and flies to you.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Or you can just turn them into sticky bombs, it's not like there's a shortage of gel.

Wait for my ninja edit dammit! :argh:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Hactar posted:

What am I supposed to be using to break through to the Pulsating Hearts in the Crimson biomes? Is stocking up on bombs the best option? And if so, is there any way to just drop them in place? It's quite awkward to throw them where you need them.

For reference this is my first playthrough/world and I've just beaten the eye of cthulhu.

Make a house so the Dryad can move in, then buy some purification powder from her. That turns any crimson blocks you toss it on into regular blocks, which means turning the crimstone into ordinary stone that you can break through!

Of course, bombs work too and sticky bombs will solve your specific problem nicely, but this is the thinking man's solution.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

I love my bee gun on general principle, but goddamn is it ever worthless against wall of flesh.

The bee gun is perhaps, but not the beenades. :getin:

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
Thanks for the info – I didn’t know about the sticky bombs, but I did just have a Dryad move in so that’s a good solution too.

Another related question – I have two Crimson biomes in my world, both with the hearts in: does this mean I’ll end up summoning/fighting that boss twice?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Well, there is if you build your house bouncing castle out of that stuff.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

He shows up for every three you smash, so depending on how many hearts there are there might be enough to summon him anywhere between one and half a dozen times. Plus you can actually make an item that summons him by collecting the vertebrae that some of the enemies in there drop.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Every 3 hearts will summon the boss, yeah.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap
I apologize if this is common knowledge or covered in a FAQ somewhere, but how do I get console commands like I see on some multiplayer servers? I'd love to have warp locations for a solo/friends/family type of server.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Ulvirich posted:

For those of you looking for a door solution during blood moons and the like, make a door out of active stone blocks or actuators on blocks hooked up to a easy access switch. Creates a door that can't be opened up by npcs.

For a pretty, functional door, use actuators and two grey pressure plates. The grey ones only activate on players, not npcs. If you use two, one on either side of the door, you can just run at the wall and it'll open and shut for you.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

When you guys make your giant tree houses, do you use moss walls or something for the foliage, or do leaves sprout naturally from living wood? I don't have a giant tree in my current world.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

There's an item that can be gotten from living trees that makes actual leaf blocks.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Is there a way to have wing functionality without looking like an anime? A jetpack is alright I suppose but I really just want nothing there.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Blackheart posted:

When you guys make your giant tree houses, do you use moss walls or something for the foliage, or do leaves sprout naturally from living wood? I don't have a giant tree in my current world.

Make a few worlds and find some of those living trees; the path down will contain a room with either a Wood Wand (for placing living wood) or a Leaf Wand, which is what places the leaves. Also the door/chair/table/chest in there are unique and can't be crafted, so make sure to collect them you hoarder! Luckily these trees are far more common than pyramids.

My big tree isn't nearly as big as some of these massive Yggdrasils people have been making, but fyi all those leaf blocks make it really dark, so I added hanging stars in a bottle randomly to a lot of the limbs and its looks really nice and fairy like :shobon:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Sojenus posted:

Is there a way to have wing functionality without looking like an anime? A jetpack is alright I suppose but I really just want nothing there.

Be Icarus, buy yourself a set of Leaf Wings (1 plat) from the Witch Doctor when he's in the jungle biome at night.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Today has been a good day. I went and farmed sharks during a blood moon and finally got a Diving Helmet out of it, so I no longer have to worry about drowning while digging hellevators. Which I also dug two of, by rope and bomb. Then I went and generated another half-dozen worlds looking for pyramids. Finally found one, and wonder of wonders, there was a Sandstorm in a Bottle inside. Since I'd also gotten my third balloon in that same world, I now have the Bundle of Balloons.

I also crafted an Angry Fart In A Jar. :v:

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
The patch added in some new critters! There are grey squirrels and cardinals around. I also got a Zombie Banner as a drop, kinda ugly but it's a like a banner of conquest.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Dareon posted:

Today has been a good day. I went and farmed sharks during a blood moon and finally got a Diving Helmet out of it, so I no longer have to worry about drowning while digging hellevators. Which I also dug two of, by rope and bomb. Then I went and generated another half-dozen worlds looking for pyramids. Finally found one, and wonder of wonders, there was a Sandstorm in a Bottle inside. Since I'd also gotten my third balloon in that same world, I now have the Bundle of Balloons.

I also crafted an Angry Fart In A Jar. :v:

Now we need a fart in a balloon and a version of the bundle of balloons that allows us to quintuple jump.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Wait, you can make Farts In A Jar? What is this, Saint's Row?
I totally want one.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah that was added just last patch, combine cloud in a bottle with the whoopee cushion.

Using it while standing next to a campfire doesn't do anything special so it's bad.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

:cry:

Hard mode bosses just randomly spawn now?! Here I am, doing a bad job at surviving normal enemies, and they throw that thing at me! I was sorting through my chests at my base at the time and didn't see the warning. You can imagine how that went. Ran out to make a futile attempt to fight it somewhere more suitable but nope. Dude lived up to his name! Was not aware the Destroyer didn't break apart like the Eater does, either.

I need to read a guide or something that gives me an idea on what order to do poo poo in so I can stay alive. I've only found two meat altars, and I've only found 4 bars' worth of Palladium. Ran both paths to the underworld and didn't see around on either of them.

Should I just tunnel around under the Crimson until I find more? I want to keep at least one for item creation, yeah? I definitely need better weapons. This Dark Lance did well for most of Normal, and it's useful for keeping things away, but it's got pretty wonky hit detection and a large dead zone. Wish I could find the Goblin Tinkerer, too. Little nerdy bastard's hiding, so I can't fuse any of my accessories, which is becoming a real problem.

tl;dr: Oh god soloing hard mode for the first time.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I'm starting to suspect that my world is bugged. I'm on my fourth blood moon in a row and this one brought Skeletron Prime out to play.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Uh. I've never played this before. And I'm totally lost. I have a viking hat, some ice sword that shoots stuff, some iron armor and a tungsten legs thing. Plus some tungsten tools. I have the crimson in my world and figured out that bombs can get me to the hearts and blow em up, but the boss spawned and utterly owned me. What should I be doing from the start?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

If you just go into the Crimson chasms there should be a ton of meat altars just lying around for you to smash. Maybe leave one in the nearest chasm in case you need to craft things at it, otherwise smash away. The amount of ore they bring into existence has diminishing returns for each cycle so you don't have to smash a whole lot of them before you have pretty much as much as you're ever gonna need.

lesbian at Evergreen
Aug 9, 2006

Cant stop. Wont Stop.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Ulvirich posted:

Or just place a torch on the inside, which keeps the door from opening inwards. That works too. Doesn't stop Goblin theives or other things that actively destroy doors, but stops zombies in their tracks.

ChibiSoma posted:

:cry:

Hard mode bosses just randomly spawn now?! Here I am, doing a bad job at surviving normal enemies, and they throw that thing at me! I was sorting through my chests at my base at the time and didn't see the warning. You can imagine how that went. Ran out to make a futile attempt to fight it somewhere more suitable but nope. Dude lived up to his name! Was not aware the Destroyer didn't break apart like the Eater does, either.

I need to read a guide or something that gives me an idea on what order to do poo poo in so I can stay alive. I've only found two meat altars, and I've only found 4 bars' worth of Palladium. Ran both paths to the underworld and didn't see around on either of them.

Should I just tunnel around under the Crimson until I find more? I want to keep at least one for item creation, yeah? I definitely need better weapons. This Dark Lance did well for most of Normal, and it's useful for keeping things away, but it's got pretty wonky hit detection and a large dead zone. Wish I could find the Goblin Tinkerer, too. Little nerdy bastard's hiding, so I can't fuse any of my accessories, which is becoming a real problem.

tl;dr: Oh god soloing hard mode for the first time.

Echoing the go into crimson to smash alters advice. Smash enough and Colbalt/Palidinium become like copper in rarity. Its also best to hunt Pallidinium near the surface level, since it still spawns commonly up there. Spelunker potions are your friend.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Didn't the patch notes say that there's a 1/3 chance of a hardmode boss you haven't killed yet spawning?

Because I had a blood moon night where I chose to spawn Skeletron Prime and midfight another one spawned.

E: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=184666232

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
I just found a hellbat banner which the wiki says is new in 1.2.0.3. The writing for the description is purple like the weapons etc are rather that plain white like the other banners. Is this significant?

I wish I hadn't sold all of my hellstone to fund my reforging addiction as I now discover that I can combine 2 bows and more hellstone to make an even better one. Back down the hole I go.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Err, I think the Sharanga is console only unless I'm mistaken. So no, you can't combine a molten bow with more hellstone bars unless you're playing the console version.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Matrim posted:

Err, I think the Sharanga is console only unless I'm mistaken. So no, you can't combine a molten bow with more hellstone bars unless you're playing the console version.

Aha, you're right. Oh well never mind.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Bible Challenger posted:

Cant stop. Wont Stop.

Godspeed you crazy goon. I think I'll try my hand a castle again once I'm done with the dome and its dunegon.

Also this is a neat idea for making a tree, if you don't mind having to jump over it every time (not mine):

Ashsaber posted:

Pallidinium

:raise: Interestingly, Terraria gets Palladium wrong too. It's a bright silvery element, not orange.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 11, 2013

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Edit: /\/\/\ That's a pretty cool idea!

Yar!

Edit 2: Decided to go back and add a bit more, since it felt... lacking somehow.

Ssthalar fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 11, 2013

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Ssthalar posted:

Edit: /\/\/\ That's a pretty cool idea!

Yar!

That is a sweet pirate house

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I really like the docks, that's a cool idea. I want to make a bigger version of my sailboat on the actual ocean, but it sucks to have to use cloud as the sails instead of cloud walls, which aren't craftable apparently. Cloud blocks stop the rain from pouring down onto my deck and making it look all cool and poo poo :arghfist::(

Also, does anyone know what the special furniture pieces that pirates drop are yet? I haven't fought a pirate invasion yet but I was wondering if anybody else knew beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Logan 5 posted:

I really like the docks, that's a cool idea. I want to make a bigger version of my sailboat on the actual ocean, but it sucks to have to use cloud as the sails instead of cloud walls, which aren't craftable apparently. Cloud blocks stop the rain from pouring down onto my deck and making it look all cool and poo poo :arghfist::(

Also, does anyone know what the special furniture pieces that pirates drop are yet? I haven't fought a pirate invasion yet but I was wondering if anybody else knew beforehand.

Golden doors, tables, chairs, beds and toilets are all I have found so far.

• Locked thread