Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

Looks like I'm going to be flying to G-Star in Korea, then the Brazil Game Show in Sao Paulo the next week, then Gamescom Paris two weeks after that.

:suicide:

Reminds me of our producer during the Infinity press tour. He literally circumnavigated the globe westward over the course of 3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

Looks like I'm going to be flying to G-Star in Korea, then the Brazil Game Show in Sao Paulo the next week, then Gamescom Paris two weeks after that.

:suicide:

Serves you right for never bringing my any alcohol.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Aliginge posted:

4J Dundee says hi. :v:

*multi million pound earning studio*

*regulation 2 feet between workers, 2 standing lamps from IKEA*

On the subject of the realist real talk, I heard Ruffian might be closing. :smith:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
How do I tell my boss that he's been forcing me to waste time wiring up stuff from design that just doesn't work? My sausage fingers cover several elements at 4x zoom. Nothing is legible at native size.

Should I just bring in some hot dogs and give them to design as a template?

Mobile is the best.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
What are you using? Engine wise.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Monster w21 Faces posted:

*multi million pound earning studio*

*regulation 2 feet between workers, 2 standing lamps from IKEA*

It's either we cramp up on the space or the bike parts start filling the room again and we are NOT letting that happen again.

Speaking of cramps the toilets are on the entire quayside are busted :v:

Zeryn
Jan 22, 2008
Amateur Lurker

leper khan posted:

How do I tell my boss that he's been forcing me to waste time wiring up stuff from design that just doesn't work? My sausage fingers cover several elements at 4x zoom. Nothing is legible at native size.

Should I just bring in some hot dogs and give them to design as a template?

Mobile is the best.

Is this the first pass at the UI? It can be best to just do the quick 5 minute grayscale mock at actual size and show it to them. Make notes if necessary.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

What are you using? Engine wise.

I'm on the same project as leper khan.

We're using a forked version of cocos2d-x (version 2.something from a while ago) that I've heavily modified to get us away from the bullshit of manually calling retain/release and having to have everything inherit from their stupid CCObject base type, and also getting away from member function pointers everywhere. We're using CocosBuilder for the UI stuff, as well as a custom reflection system that lets us implement the MVP paradigm, with minimal amounts of hair pulling. I still stab myself in the face every time I start writing a new dialog, but at least I know its the best it's going to get.

Zeryn posted:

Is this the first pass at the UI? It can be best to just do the quick 5 minute grayscale mock at actual size and show it to them. Make notes if necessary.

This is the 8th or 9th iteration of the interface because the client keeps changing their mind and throwing more money at us. Also design isn't even responsible for handling how the flow between screens is supposed to work.

On top of that design does these mockups on a desktop machine and never thinks to shrink it down to the actual size of the phone screen to see if it make sense.

Someone please kill me.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

SAHChandler posted:

I'm on the same project as leper khan.

We're using a forked version of cocos2d-x (version 2.something from a while ago) that I've heavily modified to get us away from the bullshit of manually calling retain/release and having to have everything inherit from their stupid CCObject base type, and also getting away from member function pointers everywhere. We're using CocosBuilder for the UI stuff, as well as a custom reflection system that lets us implement the MVP paradigm, with minimal amounts of hair pulling. I still stab myself in the face every time I start writing a new dialog, but at least I know its the best it's going to get.

I've only heard good things about cocos from our coders, of course we were using marmalade before soooo...

Aliginge posted:

It's either we cramp up on the space or the bike parts start filling the room again and we are NOT letting that happen again.

Speaking of cramps the toilets are on the entire quayside are busted :v:

I thought you were in the VIS building?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

I've only heard good things about cocos from our coders, of course we were using marmalade before soooo...

This is cocos 2d-x, which is some sort of terrible auto-generated c++ thing based on the cocos 2d codebase. I'd much rather be in cocos than this abomination.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hey game goons, so I'm a recent grad currently working as an embedded firmware engineer for a smaller defense/communications company. I work as a RTOS developer coding in C and some ASM well picking up some bash scripting on the side as it comes in handy. I'm looking to possibly change jobs in spring when my contract is up and my lease, I would like to head out of state so I've been doing some light job hunting in the mean time. My question, would my specific programming talents (namely firmware level programming) be useful/desired if I were looking into a game development job? It's not something I'm completely set on doing but I figure if the right job in the right area opened up it's something to look into. I have some background in Java from college (computer engineering major) but yeah like I said mostly C and assembly.

EDIT: I should note my game development background involves learning Python with Pyglet in an afternoon and creating a pretty simple Pong clone.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Cocos takes the "polymorphism is the only way to write object oriented code" approach, and this has had a negative effect on our approach to just about anything. Oh and it's hilarious when they do a whole bunch of sideways casts between types in the inheritance tree. Because that's totally not going to cause bad things to happen.

We're using marmalade as well, and it is complete and utter garbage. So much development time has been wasted because we're stuck with gcc 4.2.1 on OS X for the x86 builds.

Want to use clang to get anything done on OS X? Yeah that's not happening. Marmalade doesn't support it.
Want to use an XCode version later than 4.6? Yeah that's not happening either. Marmalade doesn't support it, because it only uses gcc.
Want to have unit tests to prove your code hasn't changed behavior? Yeah have fun with that.
Want a build system that doesn't handle file paths completely differently between platforms and cause name clashes and overwrite some obj on windows causing incomprehensible linker errors? Marmalade says "get bent".

And this doesn't even take into account that the marmalade runtime hates static libraries.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

SAHChandler posted:

This is the 8th or 9th iteration of the interface because the client keeps changing their mind and throwing more money at us. Also design isn't even responsible for handling how the flow between screens is supposed to work.

The moral is that if the client wants it, and you at least bring up the issue with them, then you just need to sigh and take an extra drink when you get home.

I sure hope you drink, friend.

e: in the dark and alone, probably, because you stayed so late your SO is asleep.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

superh posted:

The moral is that if the client wants it, and you at least bring up the issue with them, then you just need to sigh and take an extra drink when you get home.

e: in the dark and alone, probably, because you stayed so late your SO is asleep.

I can't drink anymore. Not since I put in 42 hours in two days to fix a horrible memory leak. I went home, looked at my bottle of 2 buck chuck, opened it and just dumped it on my head. Hashtag gamedev :smith:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

superh posted:

Who has time for booze or relationships when you have to work and commute? :shepicide:

E: This is really partially my fault, because I haven't moved closer to my job yet. Finding a place that isn't terrible and is reasonably costed is difficult I guess. (I have a 2h commute in the morning and about 1h in the evening. Video games.)

leper khan fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 11, 2013

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Today I was supposed to sign the lease for my new office. I even had the keys in my possession and the Realtor was in possession of the lease. Last minute the owner wanted to change the deal and couldn't decide. Now I'm out the office and I was due to move in on Monday. Yay! Oh, and let me go waste my time calling CORT (furniture rental), Verizon (Internet and Phones) and Staples (Office supplies) to stop delivery until such time that I find a new space. The life of a business owner: You do not get to work on Games even if that is what your company does. In this case neither do my employees.

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds

Popete posted:

My question, would my specific programming talents (namely firmware level programming) be useful/desired if I were looking into a game development job?

Very much so, at least in AAA anyway.
One of the major problems with graduates these days is that very few of them understand how a computer works on a low level.

If you have low level programing skills, that's very valuable

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Mega Shark posted:

Today I was supposed to sign the lease for my new office. I even had the keys in my possession and the Realtor was in possession of the lease. Last minute the owner wanted to change the deal and couldn't decide. Now I'm out the office and I was due to move in on Monday. Yay! Oh, and let me go waste my time calling CORT (furniture rental), Verizon (Internet and Phones) and Staples (Office supplies) to stop delivery until such time that I find a new space. The life of a business owner: You do not get to work on Games even if that is what your company does. In this case neither do my employees.
If it's any consolation, exactly the same thing happens even if you don't have an office. It's just less emailing about furniture and more about digital store access / funding issues / whatever.

So like, you were screwed regardless, this is just the ultimate nature of the screw you were destined for :keke:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I was wondering if somebody here could point me in the right direction.

If I wanted to release a completely free educational game on iPad and/or Android tablets, what would be the process to do so? Does it need to be sent to Apple/Google for approval? If so, how does that work out?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
well spent my morning hopping around ninewells hospital dealing with a painful as gently caress kidney infection and then stayed at work till 9pm cos poo poo needed to be done.

how was your day, industry goons? :v:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I also spent all day at the hospital. (I work at a hospital :v: )

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
So the StarDrive thread in the past 3-4 pages has turned into an amazing example of "How not to treat your community."

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yiiiiikes it got heated up very quickly. I know gamers can get on your nerves and all but that was not the best way to handle that at all. He just kept digging that hole further every respond he made. Also a lot of passive aggressive spewed too.

Ouch.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Uhhhhh I just kind of have to share this. Because god drat.

Apparently Richard Garriot thinks we're pretty ok. I guess maybe the interviewer brought us up when he was interviewing Richard, or, uh... I have no idea. But drat cool. :stare:

(Richard Garriot was my childhood hero / who I wanted to be when I grew up. Basically still is. So, uh, wow.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNosnjUI3aU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Garriott goons represent!

If you ever get the chance to tour his house, it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Shalinor posted:

(Richard Garriot was my childhood hero / who I wanted to be when I grew up. Basically still is. So, uh, wow.)

Do you have a rat tail? If not, why not?

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

Uhhhhh I just kind of have to share this. Because god drat.

Apparently Richard Garriot thinks we're pretty ok. I guess maybe the interviewer brought us up when he was interviewing Richard, or, uh... I have no idea. But drat cool. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNosnjUI3aU

God drat indeed! :stare:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Heh, I remember when I got him to read/shoutout Nakar for this Ultima LPs. Poor guy was :ohdear: for a week over it.

He's a cool dude, and meeting him is still the highlight of my E3 Afterparty pantheon.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Chernabog posted:

I was wondering if somebody here could point me in the right direction.

If I wanted to release a completely free educational game on iPad and/or Android tablets, what would be the process to do so? Does it need to be sent to Apple/Google for approval? If so, how does that work out?
You get an account and submit it and it gets approved/not approved? It's less paperwork if it's free, but there's not really more to it than that. My company does serious games so if you have a more specific question I can try to answer?

Unrelatedly, the other day we were discussing a healthcare-based game project that we'll be doing soon and some people voiced concern about the subject matter being so dry, but I remarked that we'd just made a game out of IP management so I'm pretty sure we can make a game out of anything. But continuing the trend I think that game I designed/coded may not actually see the light of day. Holy gently caress am I cursed. Like 90% of the games I write don't come out because of business stuff unrelated to quality. I thought that might end with work for hire serious games but what the gently caress.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 12, 2013

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Office woes followup to anyone who cares.The realtors felt so bad for the deal falling through and reached out to all of their contacts to find office space for me. Ended up finding a place twice as big, it's the whole floor of a nice office building really nicely laid out and it costs only slightly more than the previous place. Moving in next week.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Leif. posted:

So the StarDrive thread in the past 3-4 pages has turned into an amazing example of "How not to treat your community."

Shindragon posted:

Yiiiiikes it got heated up very quickly. I know gamers can get on your nerves and all but that was not the best way to handle that at all. He just kept digging that hole further every respond he made. Also a lot of passive aggressive spewed too.

Ouch.

Also seems like an amazing example of the shittiness of video game players, or why to never make anything ever.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I wish people who kickstart indie game projects stop referring to themselves as customers. When I give 100 bucks to NPR and they give me a tote bag, I don't feel like I purchased it. You're donating. You're funding an idea so you can see it come to life. Even if you're given access to an early alpha/beta, you aren't really buying it for whatever the pledge amount is.

This is just another case of alpha/beta hyped up gamer syndrome. Also, his best bet was to lay low or just brush off the criticism. You can't argue with opinionated gamers ever.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Akuma posted:

You get an account and submit it and it gets approved/not approved? It's less paperwork if it's free, but there's not really more to it than that. My company does serious games so if you have a more specific question I can try to answer?

Ok, thanks. I don't think I have any other questions right now.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010
Whether you think people are entitled/unreasonable or not re: the Stardrive thing, one has to admit that he'd probably make a lot more money and a lot less vitriol just sucking it up and saying "you're right, here, if you own Stardrive you can get the new one for half off, how's that? I'm doing my best but this poo poo is harder than I thought, you know?"

See: Star Ruler.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Zizi posted:

Whether you think people are entitled/unreasonable or not re: the Stardrive thing, one has to admit that he'd probably make a lot more money and a lot less vitriol just sucking it up and saying "you're right, here, if you own Stardrive you can get the new one for half off, how's that? I'm doing my best but this poo poo is harder than I thought, you know?"

See: Star Ruler.

Yah, I didn't mean to blame the user base for the Stardrive drama. Every game has drama on some level. It's entirely up to the developer to handle it appropriately, so your suggestion is one of many that could work. Another would be just ignore it, but I've never had a project I've invested that much time and effort into with a fan base that was angry about my design decisions so I'm not sure if I could keep a level head about it. I guess this is what community managers and PR people are for.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Joint announcement with MSFT:

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/machinima-ready-for-gamers-with-innovative-xbox-one-app-at-launch-1200730463/

I'm just glad we can talk about it now- I think there are potentially significant implications for console games/second screen/etc.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
So it's the Youtube app? What am I missing? I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Found this link in the funny images thread of all places: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_censored_words_in_Generation_V
I absolutely love the censored words list in games, and how often they aren't regex'd and instead a discrete list of words.

My favorite censored word in a game I've worked on was "Captain Rodlicker". Just the idea that only captains are forbidden from being rodlickers is hilarious to me.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

So it's the Youtube app? What am I missing? I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

Explanatory video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc_vUf1C8b8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Uggggh 2 minutes? That's forever!