Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Tyma posted:

The gimmick was that Jim Ross was angry at Vince McMahon, and had hired two guys to play the roles of Razor and Diesel as a stab at Vince, and a constant reminder that he'd failed to keep them around.

He wasn't actually called "Fake Razor" in on-screen graphics or anything, but the monet he debuted, the commentators were eager to point that it was a farce, and an attempt by JR to embarass Vince.

They stuck around for quite a while, even having an acceptable title match with Owen and Bulldog for some reason that I can't recall.

Bogner (Razor) pretty much looked like a jobber, though, while Jacobs (DieselKane) was made to look fairly impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Is there any specific reason Shane McMahon decided to become a sports agent instead of inherit the wrestling business?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

natetimm posted:

Is there any specific reason Shane McMahon decided to become a sports agent instead of inherit the wrestling business?

In addition to this, how is his relationship with Vince/Stephanie/HHH/not-Senator Linda?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

natetimm posted:

He's spoken about this a little bit. Basically there was a sense that he saw the writing was on the wall and that Steph was the natural heir to the WWE dynasty being more involved in learning the in's and outs of the presentation side of the company, while he had learned and developed other subsidary components like the website outside of it's core buisiness. Eventually he was aware that he needed to escape the shadow of his family to be a success and took the skills he had learned outside of the family business.

He's considered to be closer to his mother than his father, and was prone to having more conflicts with Vince over the direction of the various things (even down to the website not being mac friendly). By comparision Steph was always seen to be much more likely to toe the company line and defer to her father. I'm not sure about the relationship with Steph or HHH however.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He announced his resignation "with great sadness" but also said that after being in the company for most of his life, it was "time to pursue outside ventures." It really could be as simple as wanting to do his own thing.

Edit: And if he ever wants to return, he could reestablish himself as something more appropriate to a guy in his early 40s (and less painfully white'n'nerdy) than "Shane-O-Mac."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 10, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can someone walk me through what they were doing/trying to do with Chyna and The Kat when they started dressing the same? Was it supposed to be kind of a Xena/Gabrielle sort of situation? I was watching at the time but remember nothing about that storyline.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, they were wearing matching Master and Slave shirts. It's not hard to guess.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
e:b

flashy_mcflash posted:

Can someone walk me through what they were doing/trying to do with Chyna and The Kat when they started dressing the same? Was it supposed to be kind of a Xena/Gabrielle sort of situation? I was watching at the time but remember nothing about that storyline.
They had them wearing shirts that said "master" and "slave" at some point. I think it was just another example of Attitude-era WWF cramming innuendo wherever they could.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Well, they were wearing matching Master and Slave shirts. It's not hard to guess.

What I mean was if it was ever supported by a story or backstage segments or anything. Was it a rib on Chyna to imply she was gay because muscles?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The way they're working the blackout into the storyline as another Brad Maddox fuckup made me wonder: Has there ever been big fuckups that they've subsequently played off as a key storyline, things that were genuinely out of their control and they had to improvise around?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Teddybear posted:

The way they're working the blackout into the storyline as another Brad Maddox fuckup made me wonder: Has there ever been big fuckups that they've subsequently played off as a key storyline, things that were genuinely out of their control and they had to improvise around?
Not WWE, but Greg Valentine worked a guy's legit injury into a gimmick as a dangerous shooter, and Ox Baker worked it when a guy actually died after receiving the Heart Punch.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Teddybear posted:

Kaitlyn got her first big push because she accidentally won a #1 contender battle royal. I think it was because Eve lost her balance on the apron?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Same deal for Killer Kowalski accidentally lopping Yukon Eric's ear off with a kneedrop.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Was Randy Savage just macho man 24/7? At first I thought he was just committed to the kayfabe thing, but I've seen some shoot interviews with him in and he still talked and acted like macho man. Was he actually like that or was it just a general media thing?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Gene Okerlund said that he had to explain to Randy that he wouldn't be bothered by fans so much if he didn't wear his neon cowboy outfits in public.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Teddybear posted:

Well....Paul Bearer died and was immediately the crux of the Punk-Taker feud going into Wrestlemania this past year.

As for the fake Diesel/Razor thing, it was one of the final nails in the coffin for WWF when I "got out of wrestling" back then. WWF was terrible at this time and I loved Razor Ramon so I was angry that he was no longer around. I was a young WWF mark and had no clue he was in WCW (never watched it and was only aware of Sting and Flair from years past) so I was excited he was finally coming back to tv. I was then extremely pissed when the "imposter" showed up. Soon after I just said "gently caress this" and stopped watching altogether until 99.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Zack_Gochuck posted:

John Cena played the heel in that feud without actually turning heel. It was kind of similar to his feud with Punk in 2011. WWE knew there was no way Cena wasn't getting booed out of the building at One Night Stand 2006.

I remember in the lead up Cena was pseudo-heel, but I thought that at some point afterwards RVD was supposed to be a full fledged heel. I could totally be misremembering here, though.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Dave recently told the story of I think a Tulsa-based promotion that had a top babyface die a few days after a match due to a ruptured spleen. In the interim, while the guy was laid up in the hospital, they had the heels cut a promo about how they were happy about what they did, which was fine. Standard wrestling gimmick.

Twist comes where after the face died, despite the protestations of the heels, the promoter had them go out and cut promos where they bragged about killing him. This lead to massive negative publicity locally, and basically killed the territory.

Edit: sorry for the double post, I thought this was discussed in a different thread.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Rodney the Piper posted:

I remember in the lead up Cena was pseudo-heel, but I thought that at some point afterwards RVD was supposed to be a full fledged heel. I could totally be misremembering here, though.

What I remember is Heyman turning heel on Van Dam and putting the title on Big Show because in reality Van Dam got busted smoking pot on an interstate. Now, maybe at some point WWE wanted him to be a heel, but it didn't stick. That's entirely possible. I just can't remember Van Dam ever getting booed post ECW.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 10, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Teddybear posted:

Foley's (lack of an) ear comes to mind.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Skinty McEdger posted:

He's considered to be closer to his mother than his father, and was prone to having more conflicts with Vince over the direction of the various things (even down to the website not being mac friendly). By comparision Steph was always seen to be much more likely to toe the company line and defer to her father. I'm not sure about the relationship with Steph or HHH however.

I've also read that outside the business atmosphere of WWE, Vince and Shane were very close, with Vince being Shane's best man at his wedding and so forth. So it might also be that he decided striking out on his own was best not just for his professional career, but also to help preserve his family relationships and whatnot.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The McMahons in general are fascinating and I'd love an in-depth book about them (mostly Vince)

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

triplexpac posted:

The McMahons in general are fascinating and I'd love an in-depth book about them (mostly Vince)

You'll never get it

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

ChampRamp posted:

You'll never get it

Don't you tell me what I'll never get!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

He's spoken about this a little bit. Basically there was a sense that he saw the writing was on the wall and that Steph was the natural heir to the WWE dynasty being more involved in learning the in's and outs of the presentation side of the company, while he had learned and developed other subsidary components like the website outside of it's core buisiness. Eventually he was aware that he needed to escape the shadow of his family to be a success and took the skills he had learned outside of the family business.

The IWC has definitely sided with Shane's direction, whenever it was obvious or rumored, so, naturally, he left the business.

triplexpac posted:

There is one, kind of.: http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Lies-Headlocks-Wrestling-Entertainment/dp/1400051436/

It's Vince-centric, and ends at about 2001.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
What's the story with Big Slam Vader? I got his autograph back in 1999 and he told me he was the real Vader, I didn't find out until 2003 or so that it wasn't really him. He looked that much like Leon White. Did Vader know this guy was aping him on the indies?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Zack_Gochuck posted:

What's the story with Big Slam Vader? I got his autograph back in 1999 and he told me he was the real Vader

Are you sure he didn't say he was *A* real Vader? :)

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I remember it like it was yesterday. I was 14, and I asked him, "Are you the same guy who was in the WWF?" and he just sort of lethargically said, "Yeah, that's me." I saw him in the PWI 500 a couple of years later listed as Big Slam with a caption that said something like, "He really looks like Vader." That's when I caught on.
*Edit*

Ha ha ha

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 10, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There's an entire promotion in the UK, BTW, that makes their living by promoting knock-offs of WWE guys.

I remember seeing them at a fairground as a kid, and thinking something's not right when their "Kane" was a good six inches shorter than their "Undertaker".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

triplexpac posted:

I feel like to get the real story, the author would need to have a) burned their bridges with the industry, b) have worked closely with the family backstage, and c) not care about lawsuits or live in a place where WWE lawyers couldn't reach them.

Though who knows at this point with kayfabe being dead. We might get a Vince DVD someday. Although, "kayfabe is dead" is the new kayfabe, so they're working us anyway. That begs the question: How much do people feel the new "insider" look at WWE is being warped? I know there's stuff like Punk not re-signing until like 2 minutes before the title match at MITB '11 which is clearly bullshit, but since they've stopped caring about exposing the business, how carefully do you think they craft how much we get to see behind the curtain and how much gets intentionally leaked?

I really started noticing the lid being blown off around the time Daniel Bryan debuted as an "internet darling", which before that point was always an IWC term and would never have been spoken on TV. I think it's smart to be blurring the lines the way they do, especially since a lot of the smarkier fans think they know what's REALLY up and get all smug about it.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like to get the real story, the author would need to have a) burned their bridges with the industry, b) have worked closely with the family backstage, and c) not care about lawsuits or live in a place where WWE lawyers couldn't reach them.

Though who knows at this point with kayfabe being dead. We might get a Vince DVD someday. Although, "kayfabe is dead" is the new kayfabe, so they're working us anyway. That begs the question: How much do people feel the new "insider" look at WWE is being warped? I know there's stuff like Punk not re-signing until like 2 minutes before the title match at MITB '11 which is clearly bullshit, but since they've stopped caring about exposing the business, how carefully do you think they craft how much we get to see behind the curtain and how much gets intentionally leaked?

I really started noticing the lid being blown off around the time Daniel Bryan debuted as an "internet darling", which before that point was always an IWC term and would never have been spoken on TV. I think it's smart to be blurring the lines the way they do, especially since a lot of the smarkier fans think they know what's REALLY up and get all smug about it.

http://www.amazon.com/WWE-McMahon-Vince/dp/B000G0O5GE

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I thought I knew Scott Steiner, but I really don't. This has been posted before, but not the full version.

sticklefifer posted:

Especially now that WWE is the only major-league company, I think more people are afraid of losing future opportunities than of being sued into oblivion.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Maybe someday if Bischoff retires and takes asylum in Switzerland, like the wrestling equivalent of Roman Polanski. :v:

Ha, I mean an inside kayfabe tell-all type of thing, like Best in the World or Thy Kingdom Come. They weren't doing that type of thing yet in '06.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

sticklefifer posted:

Maybe someday if Bischoff retires and takes asylum in Switzerland, like the wrestling equivalent of Roman Polanski. :v:

Ha, I mean an inside kayfabe tell-all type of thing, like Best in the World or Thy Kingdom Come. They weren't doing that type of thing yet in '06.

Here's an in-depth review of Thy Kingdom Come. Seems that there's quite a bit of revisionist history going on in that doc.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

ChampRamp posted:

You'll never get it

I think we'll get it when Vince formally retires and gives the keys to Steph/HHH and finally kisses wrestling goodbye and after WWE changes under new management. I can see Vince as the kind of guy that goes "gently caress it, what do you want to know?" with old age and hires a biographer to write his book as a WWE publication. If Steve Jobs hired somebody to write an honest book that's not flattering to him at times because it's truthful then I can really see anyone with ultimate power in their company (or even industry at times) doing it (except for Trump).

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Justin Godscock posted:

I think we'll get it when Vince formally retires and gives the keys to Steph/HHH and finally kisses wrestling goodbye and after WWE changes under new management. I can see Vince as the kind of guy that goes "gently caress it, what do you want to know?" with old age and hires a biographer to write his book as a WWE publication. If Steve Jobs hired somebody to write an honest book that's not flattering to him at times because it's truthful then I can really see anyone with ultimate power in their company (or even industry at times) doing it (except for Trump).

assuming that Vince won't just walk away into the ocean when he retires

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I would also love a book on Vince, but I don't think we'll get it till after he dies.

So we'll never get it.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Jerusalem posted:

I would also love a book on Vince, but I don't think we'll get it till after he dies.

So we'll never get it.

Nonsense. When Vince dies, he'll have his brain surgically implanted somewhere on John Laurinitis' body, Krang style.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Justin Godscock posted:

This will never happen Vince will not retire he will die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

If Meltzer is still writing when Vince dies, his obit will be something.