Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The Seasons of Love arrangement was weird to me too, not just because nobody went for the high note, but because they had a girl singing the 'DIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEED' part. I don't know why they'd do that, considering they have multiple male cast members who could belt that note in their sleep (Hi Chris!).

I really like the piano on it, though. I like the piano on all the songs this week; it sounds... I don't know, richer than usual. Fire and Rain is my favorite in terms of arrangement; Kevin and Chord sound amazing and those harmonies are to die for. :unsmith:

cathalc posted:

Do we know if there's going to be anything that addresses the real-life side of this as part of the episode beyond an R.I.P card at the end or something like that? Any cast interviews or features on Cory?

Early on, something was mentioned about PSAs that would air during the commercial breaks, but I don't know if they're still doing that or if there will be anything else.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spergatory posted:

Fire and Rain is my favorite in terms of arrangement; Kevin and Chord sound amazing and those harmonies are to die for. :unsmith:

That's easily my favorite of the songs and I think it's absolutely stunning. My mom is a HUGE fan of the original song, so I heard it a lot as a kid. I distinctly remember hearing it as a kid one time and honestly bursting into tears because I could just sense the emotion in the song (I was like, five. Cut me some slack.)

Anyway, earlier I was listening to the Glee version of the song and getting really emotional, partly because a really close family friend (like, basically another older brother) died the same day I found out about Cory's death, at the same age no less. The circumstances around the deaths were far from identical, but without going into too much detail, there are plenty of reasons that I've kind of been linking the two deaths in my mind. Long story short, I can listen to the songs now without feeling as sad, and I think it's because I finally grieved in a way I hadn't quite yet for the death of my friend through the music.

Thanks, Glee. :unsmith:

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
Well, tonight's the night. :smith: . Been listening to most of the songs recently, but couldn't bring myself to listen to Lea's yet.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Tonight is indeed the night and while I've not been around for the past week (and in fact still haven't watched last week's episode, I'm a busy, busy lady), I'd like to remind everyone of something very important:

quote:

While I know that criticizing this show is the thread's favorite past time (because there is so very much to criticize), let's keep in mind that this episode is functionally a public funeral organized by the people who loved Cory the most and it would take a special kind of douchebag to tell them that they're mourning him incorrectly. If you end up angry about the episode – let it go.

I don't know how tonight's going to go down. I know a lot of us have had our beefs with Finn in the past. Finn probably doesn't deserve to be painted as a saint and that's likely to happen. I cannot even begin to fathom how difficult this episode was to write or to act in or even just to think about for most of the cast. Try to be respectful, even if you don't like how they handle it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I'm just kind of expecting to be mostly confused at how at least three weeks have past on the show timeline, since the episode takes place three weeks after Finn's funeral or something. It's a very "What month even is it anymore? Are they graduating tomorrow?" situation!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xeria posted:

I'm just kind of expecting to be mostly confused at how at least three weeks have past on the show timeline, since the episode takes place three weeks after Finn's funeral or something. It's a very "What month even is it anymore? Are they graduating tomorrow?" situation!

Lima lives in a time bubble. I smell a Doctor Who crossover!

But yeah, this episode is going to :smith: as hell and I hope nobody feels the need to attack it for serious reasons.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Although I haven't watched Glee in several years, I am still interested in seeing what happens tonight. I don't know if a situation quite like this has ever happened in television before. I guess my big question is whether they are going to attribute Finn's death to anything specific. From a storytelling standpoint it drives me crazy to think they won't give a cause for Finn's death, but I am also not spergy enough to ignore the fact that this episode wasn't born of any story-driven creative direction. It seems like it would be inherently disrespectful Cory to say that Finn was killed in a mugging or hit by a drunk driver or something.

I'm just really interested in seeing how this plays out.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Pretty much everything in Glee will drive you insane if you look at it from a storytelling standpoint.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Although I haven't watched Glee in several years, I am still interested in seeing what happens tonight. I don't know if a situation quite like this has ever happened in television before.

John Ritter from 8 Simple Rules would count, right?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

BreakAtmo posted:

John Ritter from 8 Simple Rules would count, right?

Yeah, but the unprecedented part comes from the fact that the on screen romance was also an off the screen relationship at the time of his death. I pretty much detest Lea Michelle from everything I've ever read of her, but I cant imagine the challenge with facing the loss of a loved one in real life, and then also acting in a performance that mirrors the loss of a character who is still that same person.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Yeah, but the unprecedented part comes from the fact that the on screen romance was also an off the screen relationship at the time of his death. I pretty much detest Lea Michelle from everything I've ever read of her, but I cant imagine the challenge with facing the loss of a loved one in real life, and then also acting in a performance that mirrors the loss of a character who is still that same person.

What? I've never read anything bad about Lea, really. What is there to detest?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Not here, not now. If you have anything negative to say about the show or anyone on it, kindly shove it for the time being, thanks.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
If we can't complain about Glee while watching, what can we do? :ohdear:

When does Glee come back after tonight's episode -- November?

Arclight
Jan 26, 2006

This episode is going to to be really weird without Quinn.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Already getting chills. Christ.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Spergatory posted:

Not here, not now. If you have anything negative to say about the show or anyone on it, kindly shove it for the time being, thanks.

Yeah, not trying to threadshit or anything. Didn't want to come off that way.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The crazy part is until Mercedes had that line, the fact that he was the first cool kid to "cross over" just didn't really click for me, and that made it more sad for some reason. :smith:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

What? I've never read anything bad about Lea, really. What is there to detest?

You know how Ryan Murphy can't write anything original and depends on his actors to supply material for him based on their real lives?

Do you remember what a try-hard, cut throat bitch Rachel was in S1? How she sent Charice to a crack house in S2 because she was competition?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

the truth posted:

You know how Ryan Murphy can't write anything original and depends on his actors to supply material for him based on their real lives?

Do you remember what a try-hard, cut throat bitch Rachel was in S1? How she sent Charice to a crack house in S2 because she was competition?

Let's uh...not go here.

Kurt. :smith:

Burt. :smith:

Carol. :smithicide:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Mike O'Malley, who would of thought he would be a good dramatic actor.

:(

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Awww man Burt. :cry:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I missed the first ten minutes, how did he die?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mo0 posted:

"how it happened is unimportant"

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Mo0 posted:

They haven't explained it. Doesn't seem like we're getting one either.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
Proving once again that Burt is the best TV dad ever.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
So are they just not going to give an in-show reason for why he's dead?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpazmasterX posted:

Seems that way. Frankly, probably the most tasteful choice.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

SpazmasterX posted:

Kurt said that he "didn't care how he lived his life" or something to that effect, which is probably the closest you are going to get, and even then reading into seems pretty pointless.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

SpazmasterX posted:

Yeah, they've specifically skipped three weeks into the future post-finding out and funeral. (Also makes the 'explanation' for any characters who aren't in the episode that they went to the funeral itself but can't take the time away to make this memorial week that Will's doing.)

that one girl
Mar 30, 2011
Well. I made it until Mercedes' lip quivered at the end of the song. Got the lump in my throat then. When Burt teared up, so did I. The sobs started when Carol started talking. Don't think they're gonna stop any time soon.

PIUGoddess
Feb 20, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Seems that way. Frankly, probably the most tasteful choice.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure they announced it a while ago that they wouldn't be disclosing any cause of death.

This episode is hitting me super, super hard, I think because the facial reactions are basically REAL LIFE. This isn't acting, and it's devastating to watch.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So good, yet so so sad. :smith:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I was kinda hoping the guys would do "It's so Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday," but this is still a lovely song.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
Angry Santana is the best Santana.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:stare: Holy poo poo.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I haven't watched Glee since the grease episode.

That Santana moment was the best moment in the whole drat show's history. I feel so vindicated and almost want to watch the rest of the episodes I've missed.

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:
Made it to Carols speech. Waterworks!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Mog posted:

That Santana moment was the best moment in the whole drat show's history. I feel so vindicated and almost want to watch the rest of the episodes I've missed.

There really have been moments of brilliance even amongst the poo poo, IMO

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Captain Mog posted:

Glee is a series of boring moments, utterly brilliant moments, and complete douchelord moments. It's a matter of how much you want to work through two of those to get to the third when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one feeling a sense of relief as this all goes on? Like, I'm pretty sure the writers also did this so that fans could, for lack of a better term, let go of Finn, and for me it's working. Is that weird? :shobon:

• Locked thread