Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Essobie posted:

I would probably do right stick for pitch and yaw (aiming), left stick for forward/back/left/right, left bumper for down, right bumper for up, left trigger for fire secondary, right for fire primary.

Eugh. I started to get spatially confused just thinking about that layout. I gotta throw another vote for Left Stick = Aim, Right Stick = Strafe, Triggers = Thrust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of KISS: PSYCHO CIRCUS: ETC ETC?

Also I know a couple of people like my writeups, but am I just pissing off everyone else? I worry.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Dominic White posted:

Eugh. I started to get spatially confused just thinking about that layout. I gotta throw another vote for Left Stick = Aim, Right Stick = Strafe, Triggers = Thrust.

And this is why fully 3D FPSs never stuck around. They are too hard. :(

You can get by playing keyboard only if you are just going to play single player, so yeah... that gamepad layout is fine (although I'm not sure why you'd aim with your left thumb unless you were left handed... every console FPS has aiming on the right stick for a reason).

I guess I was more speaking to how you need to set up a control config if you want to totally dominate in single player and even possibly compete in deathmatch.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Also I know a couple of people like my writeups, but am I just pissing off everyone else? I worry.

The write-ups are fantastic, so go nuts.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I like them! Keep going.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They're interesting and different. I'm sure if anyone doesn't like them, you should have known already so go hog wild. :wink:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yes, do more write-ups of bad fps games!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Not like the thread is running out of real estate or anything like that.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I think the Romero shrine is sheer and utter brilliance, it is literally the most amazing way a game like Daikatana could end. The ONLY way it could of been better is if it had 'John Romero made you his bitch' written in comic sans underneath.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Romero shrine area is SUPPOSED to be a cutscene flyby credits map, but the cutscene bit is disabled in co-op. There are other faces to punch! Go forth, perform your Christian duty.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

He did writeups of good FPS games too, and they were nice. Just keep doing whatever you want.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jblade posted:

I think the Romero shrine is sheer and utter brilliance, it is literally the most amazing way a game like Daikatana could end. The ONLY way it could of been better is if it had 'John Romero made you his bitch' written in comic sans underneath.

Or if that Romero portrait was towering over the player and John Romero had his eyes rolled back in his head. Underneath, a gilded replica of John Romero's dong stands erect over these words etched in stone, "Suck it down".

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

King Vidiot posted:

Or if that Romero portrait was towering over the player and John Romero had his eyes rolled back in his head. Underneath, a gilded replica of John Romero's dong stands erect over these words etched in stone, "Suck it down".

I'm thinkin' a new map for Reelism right here??

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Starhawk64 posted:

KISS: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child: The Reckoning: Part II: Colons Make You poo poo Your Pants With Fear is...surprisingly good, actually. It's made from the dudes who walked out on Ion Storm after seeing how lovely Daikatana was becoming and wanting to make not-lovely games, and it's got a bit of a Quake 2/Blood mashup to it.

Just no more of that "if you thought you liked Doom 2/whatever you are wrong" poo poo and it'll be cool. They're a nice change of pace from the usual affair of the thread.

As for where to get a copy, well, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
The development studios are quite dead and it's not really being sold in stores anymore, so it's kind of in that questionable abandonware section Strife is--but without the caveat that it's not on Home of the Underdogs.
Would it be safe if I uploaded it, or should I dig for a site to buy it from?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Geight posted:

I'm thinkin' a new map for Reelism right here??
I'm not sure ZDoom can handle rendering dongs with the intricacy required for Romero's ego.

TerminusEst13 posted:

As for where to get a copy, well, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
The development studios are quite dead and it's not really being sold in stores anymore, so it's kind of in that questionable abandonware section Strife is--but without the caveat that it's not on Home of the Underdogs.
Would it be safe if I uploaded it, or should I dig for a site to buy it from?
It should be okay, but you should ask Axemaniac first (PMs if you have plat, axemaniac@somethingawful.com if you don't) and he'll let you know for sure.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maybe you ca get Lowtax to send you the copy of it he used for his review in 2000 or so :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DAIKATANA EPISODE 4: BILL CLINTON ON BUFF ISLAND

:allears: Absolutely fantastic stuff man. I'm really glad you braved that poo poo-storm for all us sinners. I've always meant to play through all of Daikatana, but haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

Seriously I love this. Its making my work week much more enjoyable. :haw:

Probably take a little bit of a break to recuperate from loving Daikatana, but PLEASE do more of these. Preferably with other terrible FPS games. I can't get enough. :allears:

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Colon Semicolon posted:

Well gently caress you too buddy! I don't get how it's garbage with all the times I've played it, it's pretty fun, with a few bullshit moments here and there. Though if you insist on thinking so, give it a shot with the Pyromania mod or something else that changes up the gameplay a bit.
I didn't know anybody actually liked that game. It just seemed like a textbook case of 90s PC game excess gone horribly wrong to me. Massively overcomplicated controls for no good reason, gigantic empty, boring levels because bigger is better, obnoxious enemies that constantly zip around in random directions "just like a real deathmatch player!" and so on. If you liked it then maybe there's something to it, but the game has a bad habit of crashing every five minutes on every computer I've ever tried it on, so I'll never find out for myself.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Those criticisms apply to 2 more than 3, though. It's basically the same game as 1, only with an extra dozen gimmick weapons and maps that are bigger without being any more interesting. It also had some total bullshit parts like the boss that turned invisible and fired homing mercury missiles at you.

Also after ~50 levels that were all basically the same claustrophobic maze ending with a reactor to blow up and an escape hatch, I was really glad to see bigger maps with different narratives and objectives types.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 10, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I liked 3 as well, and in the several times I've played it the game has never crashed on me. I've also done co-op and DM in it with some friends and it kicked rear end.

It just sucks that you don't get to pilot the Pyro-GX (unless you're using a mod that replaces the GL with it) since it got thrown into the sun from a faulty warp drive :( and the Thiefbot is a dick but it always was a dick.

I kind of wish a Descent 4 would happen because Miner Wars doesn't seem like a decent alternative, but given the state Interplay is in it's never gonna happen. If anything I'd love to see someone try adding Oculus Rift support to D1/2/3 :getin:

Speaking of 6DOF games, did anyone try that PC source port of Forsaken? I found it kind of fun but I never got to try deathmatch mode and I ended up quitting after this one level in a nuke plant with a time limit due to getting lost.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 10, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Didn't Descent 3 have a competitive scene?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zeether posted:

I kind of wish a Descent 4 would happen because Miner Wars doesn't seem like a decent alternative, but given the state Interplay is in it's never gonna happen. If anything I'd love to see someone try adding Oculus Rift support to D1/2/3 :getin:

Have you played Retrovirus? Its on steam and they're messing with Oculus Rift support :getin:

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2634

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Descent 1 supported those wacky early-90s VR goggles and 3D orb controllers didn't it? I still have an old 3D textbook that talked about how that poo poo would be the future.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

Descent 1 supported those wacky early-90s VR goggles and 3D orb controllers didn't it? I still have an old 3D textbook that talked about how that poo poo would be the future.

The 3D orb controllers worked perfectly for Descent. Sadly the one I had broke and they're also wildly incompatible with modern operating systems.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Are you talking about the Norvint Falcon or whatever it was called?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Cyberman I think? The book I had was from like 1994.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Are you talking about the Norvint Falcon or whatever it was called?

I'm talking about http://www.bluesnews.com/articles/spaceorb360-review.html

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Clearly the best control scheme for Descent:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

The CYBERMAXX?

http://www.zardoz.net/technology/cybermaxx/

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005
Speaking of controllers...

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
There must be some sort of universal constant in which whenever I think "Romero's ego couldn't have been that bad..." someone posts something that proves it was.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gashroom posted:

:frogsiren: Oh my, Its... so beautiful. I can't stop laughing. :haw:

What the hell was the point of that anyways? If you wanted to play a shooter and a flight sim at the same time?! or are you supposed to use the trackball to move?! But there are buttons, but then you'd have to rest your hand on the ball, that can't be comfortable... I.. just... what!? :allears:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Gashroom posted:

Oh poo poo I remember seeing this one, too.

Someone call Valve and tell them their new Steam controller is here.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

More fiddly bits means more headshots.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

:frogsiren: Oh my, Its... so beautiful. I can't stop laughing. :haw:

What the hell was the point of that anyways? If you wanted to play a shooter and a flight sim at the same time?! or are you supposed to use the trackball to move?! But there are buttons, but then you'd have to rest your hand on the ball, that can't be comfortable... I.. just... what!? :allears:

So its made to play Descent and nothing else?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gashroom posted:

This got reviewed on PlanetQuake back in the day. You were supposed to use the joystick to move and the trackball to aim.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

This got reviewed on PlanetQuake back in the day. You were supposed to use the joystick to move and the trackball to aim.

That's actually not a bad idea on paper, but the scale of the controller makes it totally unworkable. A trackball is almost as accurate as a mouse, and the joystick allows for analogue movement, which is something that the keyboard can't offer. Laying it out like a flight-sim HOTAS combo is the issue.

Apparently Valve's crazy new controller (which a lot of devs are singing the praises of now) does similar things. The left pad acts like a trackball, the right like an analogue stick. Might not be 100% as precise as a mouse, but it does allow for decent FPS and strategy gameplay on the couch.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

It might actually be kind of useful if it was reversed and you could use it with the traditional mouse/keyboard set-up positions.

I'm also kind of curious about who those two goons in the back are.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I'm pretty sure those guys are the "two-fisted killing machine" mentioned in the ad copy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think I found an eBay auction for the only one that anybody ever bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extreemly-rare-Madcatz-Panther-XL-joystick-trackball-mouse-PC-bundle-/310762251100?pt=Mice&hash=item485adfa35c

It looks like it connected through an old printer port and it comes with a floppy disk for installation. I guess I can forget about being the King.