Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, considering he has a dedicated tech person now and his recent vow against killing we'll probably see more trick arrows this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I don't know much about the comics but I hope he still uses regular arrows on named bad guys that deserve it. I mean, yeah I understand why not murdering every single henchmen is a great idea but I'm not sure how I feel about sparing actual villains unless they plan to be reused properly and not just because filler.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
This show owns. Nothing else to really say here, I'm in for the duration.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
How bout that out the window dive & into the office below scene? How badass was that?!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Most shows would have dragged out Ollie on the island for longer. There'd normally be an episode where Diggle and Felicity are in Starling city, witting on their thumbs, and after 20 minutes, decide, gently caress it, lets go track down Oliver, then spend most of the rest of the episode on a travel montage tracing his steps and reach the island in the last 10 minutes.

This show? They skydive onto it in the first 2 minutes, and everyone is back in Starling city after the first commercial break. They didn't waste any time. :allears:

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Dead Snoopy posted:

How bout that out the window dive & into the office below scene? How badass was that?!

I poo poo you not that was the first moment of this entire show's run so-far that broke my suspension of disbelief. Not in any game-breaking way, just enough to make me step back and go "aww man" sadly. But then Ollie eventually got suited-up and using a bow as a melee weapon and I was fully happy again. :)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wolvorine posted:

I poo poo you not that was the first moment of this entire show's run so-far that broke my suspension of disbelief. Not in any game-breaking way, just enough to make me step back and go "aww man" sadly. But then Ollie eventually got suited-up and using a bow as a melee weapon and I was fully happy again. :)

Yeah, that was like a pull chain on some window blinds.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, that was like a pull chain on some window blinds.

That bugged me, but it was the skyscraper safety glass shattering so easily that broke me (for a minute). They only fell 1 floor, at least when John McClane did it, he fell the length of a firehose before he broke through the window.

(Edit: Now if they had bounced off of the glass and had to wait for Diggle to pull them up, I'd have been totally cool with that.)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think that you have to accept that, as gritty and realistic this show tries to be, it's still a comic book show. It's gotta make some concessions to badass action and larger-than-life heroics.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wolvorine posted:

Hahahah, you gotta be kidding me. I laughed my rear end of at so many points during this episode because of how ridiculous it all was. Especially that Tarzan swing to get Felicity off the land mine. But I embrace the absurdity, for it is awesome.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Phylodox posted:

I think that you have to accept that, as gritty and realistic this show tries to be, it's still a comic book show. It's gotta make some concessions to badass action and larger-than-life heroics.

Oh definitely, and if they had fallen even 2 floors I most likely would have rolled with it without thinking. I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm severely acrophobic, so I spent a lot of time when I was younger thinking about things like the stability of glass in tall buildings.

Taffer posted:

Hahahah, you gotta be kidding me. I laughed my rear end of at so many points during this episode because of how ridiculous it all was. Especially that Tarzan swing to get Felicity off the land mine. But I embrace the absurdity, for it is awesome.

I normally do too, that was why it made me sad when somethng -- Anything -- managed to crack my suspension of disbelief. Dude, the Rope Arrow I am completely down with. Like I said above, I think it was just something I spent too much time in my youth thinking too much about for me to not notice.

Wolvorine fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 10, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Wolvorine posted:

Oh definitely, and if they had fallen even 2 floors I most likely would have rolled with it without thinking. I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm severely acrophobic, so I spent a lot of time when I was younger thinking about things like the stability of glass in tall buildings.

I normally do too, that was why it made me sad when somethng -- Anything -- managed to crack my suspension of disbelief. Dude, the Rope Arrow I am completely down with. Like I said above, I think it was just something I spent too much time in my youth thinking too much about for me to not notice.

I just checked again to make sure, and they fell like 6 floors.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Man we are getting such good tv this year. :)

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!
I'll be very surprised if there isn't some plot later on having to do with Ollie's argument with Dig about "not being the vigilante anymore" directly in front of that news camera.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Is there any word on what episode Amanda Waller and the Suicide Squad will show up in? That's really what I'm most excited for this season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Usually "no kill" superhero rules irritate me because it just seems like a dumb way to keep things kid friendly versus the actual practicality of letting essentially weapons of mass destruction live on. However, this was an extremely organic and plausible way to turn Ollie into a no kill superhero, and it proves that the writers know how to use the long form to develop characters naturally. Nicely done Arrow.

Also, show owns, Ollie owns, Diggle owns, Slade owns, Felicity owns, it all owns. Even the Thea subplot was decent and the way they are moving Roy towards Speedy/Arsenal is believable.

How were the ratings?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

Usually "no kill" superhero rules irritate me because it just seems like a dumb way to keep things kid friendly versus the actual practicality of letting essentially weapons of mass destruction live on.

That was one of the only things I liked about the Daredevil movie, the fact that part of Matt Murdoch's character arc consisted of him realizing he was, in fact, a serial killer and no better than the people he was fighting against.

It wasn't done as well as Arrow is doing it, of course, but I appreciated the effort.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

zoux posted:

Usually "no kill" superhero rules irritate me because it just seems like a dumb way to keep things kid friendly versus the actual practicality of letting essentially weapons of mass destruction live on. However, this was an extremely organic and plausible way to turn Ollie into a no kill superhero, and it proves that the writers know how to use the long form to develop characters naturally. Nicely done Arrow.

Also, show owns, Ollie owns, Diggle owns, Slade owns, Felicity owns, it all owns. Even the Thea subplot was decent and the way they are moving Roy towards Speedy/Arsenal is believable.

How were the ratings?

0.9 in the demo. Not as good as the series premiere, but the same as last year's finale. It's a solid number for The CW and the show seems to be maintaining its audience, so things are looking good.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

XboxPants posted:

I just checked again to make sure, and they fell like 6 floors.

:raise: If this is true, then I suffered a shameful lapse in attention during the episode, and I am... err... shamed.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Wolvorine posted:

:raise: If this is true, then I suffered a shameful lapse in attention during the episode, and I am... err... shamed.

They did fall about 6 floors which means that the cord on those blinds was at least 50 feet long. But who cares, fun show is fun.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, considering he has a dedicated tech person now and his recent vow against killing we'll probably see more trick arrows this season.

Boxing glove arrow is a lock.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Poisoned arrows, to inject sedatives into the body. Has he used poisoned arrows in the past? I don't remember.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Torrannor posted:

Poisoned arrows, to inject sedatives into the body. Has he used poisoned arrows in the past? I don't remember.

I foresee taser arrows

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Torrannor posted:

He had the magical wifi arrow in like episode 2, I don't see a problem with knockout arrows or taser arrows or an inflating boxing glove arrow. :colbert:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Alternate reality arrows, that summon his cousin with the crazy psychic powers.

What will be Roy Harpers shtick? Speedy? Sounds a lot like Flash, will they both be super-fast heroes? Doesn't sound too interesting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Speedy is an archer that has no speed related powers.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Also Thea is Speedy.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Taffer posted:

I embrace the absurdity, for it is awesome.

This needs to be the new thread title btw.

Also, Roy holding the gun he took off the Hoods just screamed 'Arsenal' to me, not as much Speedy/Red Arrow.

Also I really hope that the likely Ollie/Slade falling out does not revolve around a love triangle with Shado.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Speedy is an archer that has no speed related powers.

Reminds me of a gag in the first episode of Young Justice.

Guy1: I see Flash and Flash jr.
Guy2: His name's Speedy. Duh.
Guy1: No. Speedy's Green Arrow's sidekick.
Guy2: Well, that makes no sense.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Oh man, that premiere.

Last season Ollie had to learn to be human again. Now he has to learn to be a hero.

That shot of him looking at a green arrow as Diggle asks "So what do you want to be called?" :neckbeard:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

WarLocke posted:

Oh man, that premiere.

Last season Ollie had to learn to be human again. Now he has to learn to be a hero.

It's a great direction to go not just for his growth as a person, but for his growth in fighting ability, too. It's a lot easier to fight bad dudes if you're willing to fight on their level and just smoke them. He's gonna have to step up his game if he's gonna go up against criminals without killing them while they're trying to murder him right in the face. If only he had a bunch of sidekicks or hot vigilante girls to back him up...

(hmm, I just realized Felicity is basically Oracle. And I'm okay with that)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

XboxPants posted:

It's a great direction to go not just for his growth as a person, but for his growth in fighting ability, too. It's a lot easier to fight bad dudes if you're willing to fight on their level and just smoke them. He's gonna have to step up his game if he's gonna go up against criminals without killing them while they're trying to murder him right in the face. If only he had a bunch of sidekicks or hot vigilante girls to back him up...

(hmm, I just realized Felicity is basically Oracle. And I'm okay with that)

There has apparently been some talk of a pseudo-Birds of Prey episode, which I assume would slot Felicity into Barbara's role from the comic. (Although it ruins the blonde/brunette/redhead gimmick)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
What rank of IT makes it so you're privy to super high-level corporate meetings like Felicity? I mean, I love her, don't get me wrong, but there's no way she'd just be allowed to hang out during those.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

New Leaf posted:

What rank of IT makes it so you're privy to super high-level corporate meetings like Felicity? I mean, I love her, don't get me wrong, but there's no way she'd just be allowed to hang out during those.

I doubt someone would tell a major shareholder who they can and can not bring into a meeting. :shrug:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

New Leaf posted:

The one where you do lots of secret illegal poo poo for your bosses.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I just assumed at this point she is listed as his personal assistant. Which you might expect in a meeting like that.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
That actually makes sense, I didn't think about it like that..

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

There has apparently been some talk of a pseudo-Birds of Prey episode, which I assume would slot Felicity into Barbara's role from the comic. (Although it ruins the blonde/brunette/redhead gimmick)

I actually watched that entire series, and as bad as it was it had a certain charm. I attribute that totally to the actresses playing Harlene Quinzel and Barbara Gordon. :swoon:

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe Felicity runs out of dye?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Maybe Felicity runs out of dye?

And uses less make-up then season one. I mean she is a pretty lady don't hide it under pounds of make-up.

• Locked thread