Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

jeeves posted:

How much money do you think was spent on this alone?

My guess? $3500.

e: I made a cuusoo account with the intention of opposing that goddamned apple store. The ammount of support it has is the most depressing thing ever. At least the birds and realistic trees projects have a shot.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Ka0 posted:

My guess? $3500.

e: I made a cuusoo account with the intention of opposing that goddamned apple store. The ammount of support it has is the most depressing thing ever. At least the birds and realistic trees projects have a shot.

Out of curiosity, why don't you like the apple store model?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Neurion posted:

*~*goons*~*

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Neurion posted:

Oh I don't know; lack of other detailed modular buildings for instance, a detailed hospital, a park, an stock exchange (complete with trader floor), a pharmacy, a soda fountain, a monument... any common civic or non-civic construction before a freaking apple store. What's next, a walmart??

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ka0 posted:

Oh I don't know; lack of other detailed modular buildings for instance, a detailed hospital, a park, an stock exchange (complete with trader floor), a pharmacy, a soda fountain, a monument... any common civic or non-civic construction before a freaking apple store. What's next, a walmart??

This. An Apple store is the most boring, unimaginative idea possible. A big modern glass box full of slave labour trinkets. (and yes, a samsung or nokia store would also be poo poo)

e: How about a museum, post office, comedy club, tennis stadium, subway station, 50s petrol station and car wash, doctor's office, car dealership, library, record store/apartment, dance hall, amusements/sideshows... Yeah basically anything before a real world brand store.

I hope the trees win. Or the old Japanese architecture could be nice.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 7, 2013

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

PriorMarcus posted:

I know that for the builder this took a lot of time and effort but the end result, to me, is dull. It's just grey bricks and straight lines.

I'd prefer to see a model that uses 12 pieces really inventively than this.

I highly recommend the mini modulars set if you like creative use of pieces. Or the mini Star Wars ships that come in the little globes.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
That helms deep sucks, I was into it until I saw the lazily multicolored bricks for the back pieces. Spend almost 2 years in prep and you do that? Go big or go home.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'd definitely like a museum modular. Or a library. Or some combination of the two? The little City Police museum raid set was a decent start, but I was disappointed when I saw it had no back.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The_Doctor posted:

I'd definitely like a museum modular. Or a library. Or some combination of the two? The little City Police museum raid set was a decent start, but I was disappointed when I saw it had no back.

Museum is what I'm hanging out for.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

yourafagpleasedie posted:

That helms deep sucks, I was into it until I saw the lazily multicolored bricks for the back pieces. Spend almost 2 years in prep and you do that? Go big or go home.

Those aren't the back pieces, but the the structural beams that you only see because they took apart the segments. Everything put together means you can't see the insides.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Merchant of Death posted:

This is excellent. At 2400 pieces it might end up being 200US/250CDN. The green is really nice and while the interior of the building is small it just looks pretty nice. I prefer it over cafe corner for sure.

They posted the design video for this on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04gLgWJyEps

Price is US $159.99/CA $189.99

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

AllisonByProxy posted:

They posted the design video for this on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04gLgWJyEps

Price is US $159.99/CA $189.99

drat, I'd live in the real version of this thing!

I hope that new piece is going to be included in a stack of sets - so useful.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Taeke posted:

Those aren't the back pieces, but the the structural beams that you only see because they took apart the segments. Everything put together means you can't see the insides.

Yeah, I saw it in person at BrickWorld-Fort Wayne. It's pretty goddamn impressive, and the backside is mostly "brick" bricks. The pile of orcs is pretty meh, but the rest of it is awesome. The designer said it breaks into five segments. I forgot my drat camera in the car, of course.

School's been eating up most of my time, but as of tomorrow afternoon, my current project will be done. I'll get my newly reorganized shelves up then.

New modular looks badass.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

The lego shop near my flat was having a "30% off" dealie and I did the only logical thing:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rabbit (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007
Since we're on the subject of classic space, my son got into my old legos this weekend while at my parents...

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Red_Chief posted:

Since we're on the subject of classic space, my son got into my old legos this weekend while at my parents...

Looks like you need to hit up Bricklink for some missing parts! (At least get the wheel hubs, they look so much cooler in black)

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Red_Chief posted:

Nice, there's a couple of us with that set around here.

Sloppy posted:

Looks like you need to hit up Bricklink for some missing parts! (At least get the wheel hubs, they look so much cooler in black)

I'm still slowly getting the black hubs I need for mine. It didn't help that I decided to build Blacktron Battrax which took up 4 of them. I have 5 of the 8 I need right now(plus the 4 on Battrax). Maybe I should just find a bricklink store with 3 more and build an order around them.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I went to Brick Con in Seattle this past weekend. I went on Sunday with my family, including my niece & nephew. They generally love playing with my Lego and Lego games, so I thought they'd enjoy it.
Turns out my nephew is a total homebody and was whining incessantly about wanting to go home for a solid half-hour before my mom took him to sit down somewhere (and later learned he fell asleep almost immediately for the next two hours). My niece enjoyed it, but got bored as we got near the end of the displays.

Notables:
In the Monoland theme park display, there's a city worker siphoning out a porta-potty, but the other side of the truck's sprung a leak and it's spraying poo poo all over (portrayed with brown plants). There's another worker with a shocked expression and a passerby throwing up into a garbage can (portrayed with a stack of green flower stems).
Also in Monoland, there's a long line of Friends minidolls waiting to get into the bathroom.
The Colbert Report from previous years remodeled as the Cowbert Report because of the Pigs vs Cows theme of this year's Brickcon.
Jar-Jar hidden in a tree in Rivendell.
Rivendell & Hobbiton themselves; loving impressive
The giant blue lion which appeared to be heavily motorized but wasn't active
A swarm of classic space minifigs attacking Stormtroopers

I also hit Toys R Us yesterday and discovered there was a BOGO 40% sale (everything but Chima, Technic, and Mindstorms). I decided to grab a bunch of smaller Friends sets I've been putting off, and [url]http://brickset.com/detail/?set=40077-1]this[/url]. Since I hit the $60 threshhold, I also got the first minifig collection. It's a TRU exclusive and not a numbered set. Figs are a prisoner with big brown sideburns in gray overalls & stocking cap, cop with aviators and old-style hair with a tie and gold badge, woman with pink eyeshadow and lipstick in orange blouse & legs, doctor with stethoscope and braided ponytail hair, and a standard jester with happy and sad face prints. All figs except the doctor have back printing.
$20 MSRP, and the Tacoma store I got it at was down to three with a strict one-per-customer limit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So I started jamming random wing pieces together tonight and ended up with this.

OldGrey by mrxzzy, on Flickr

The tail isn't quite as smooth as I was imagining it, I might break it down tomorrow and see if I can clean it up (and get the main engine pieces to fit together properly). Should probably swap out some of the grey for blue accents too.

I love the hell out of the underside though.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Ninjago: Still The Best.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

So I started jamming random wing pieces together tonight and ended up with this.

The tail isn't quite as smooth as I was imagining it, I might break it down tomorrow and see if I can clean it up (and get the main engine pieces to fit together properly). Should probably swap out some of the grey for blue accents too.

Looks good!

I'm slowly working on a Classic Space APC like vehicle. Started with a not-so-Classic Space look and built it using whatever colors bricks I had. Now working through sections making it blue, trans yellow and light grey while adding classic space features. Some day I'll finish it(or cannibalize it for other projects).

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Recently got back from NYC and had a chance to check out The Art of the Brick at the Discovery Time Square. I thought it was well worth the $22 and would recommend the stop if you happen to be in the area. All I had was my cell phone handy and it was pretty dark, but I could post some photos if you guys are interested.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Optimist Prime posted:

Ninjago: Still The Best.

What are the good ninjas fighting this time? Looks like evil scientist zombies?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

What are the good ninjas fighting this time? Looks like evil scientist zombies?

To me it looks like an alternate dimension where Garmadon is sensei and Wu is the bad guy.

In other news, I had an interesting encounter at work today. It was dead-slow, and over the course of the day I was fiddling with parts from the play brick the kids can use and built a sort of micro-scale AWACS plane. Just as my shift's about to end, I get into conversation with a cute young woman who expresses interest in my model. She asked if she could buy it, but we can't sell from the kids' playbrick. Instead she asked if I could e-mail her the instructions and part list for my creation... and I thought "Hey, why the hell not?" So I took the model home, fired up LDD, and churned out instructions and a part list for it lickety-split. I had to do some cross-referencing between BrickSet and BrinkLink to come up with all the part IDs to use on BrickLink, as most of the parts I used in the model can't be ordered from the online PAB. Hope she has fun building it!

Here's a few :effort: renders for you guys to look at.

Edit: gently caress, forgot to mention. In the in-store build I used an illegal build technique, wedging the black tailfin plate between the studs. Naturally, LDD won't let you do that, so I placed it in the approximate location for the renders and instructions I gave her.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

MichaelFlatley posted:

Speaking of Lego minions, I made this a while ago based on one I found online and reversed engineered. Think it turned out okay.

If anyone wants the LDD file, it's here

Hah! That's great!

I accidentally bought a crapton of the wrong brick at the pick-a-brick. Decided to put it to artistic use anyways.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 11, 2013

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Neurion posted:

To me it looks like an alternate dimension where Garmadon is sensei and Wu is the bad guy.

In other news, I had an interesting encounter at work today. It was dead-slow, and over the course of the day I was fiddling with parts from the play brick the kids can use and built a sort of micro-scale AWACS plane. Just as my shift's about to end, I get into conversation with a cute young woman who expresses interest in my model. She asked if she could buy it, but we can't sell from the kids' playbrick. Instead she asked if I could e-mail her the instructions and part list for my creation... and I thought "Hey, why the hell not?" So I took the model home, fired up LDD, and churned out instructions and a part list for it lickety-split. I had to do some cross-referencing between BrickSet and BrinkLink to come up with all the part IDs to use on BrickLink, as most of the parts I used in the model can't be ordered from the online PAB. Hope she has fun building it!

Edit: gently caress, forgot to mention. In the in-store build I used an illegal build technique, wedging the black tailfin plate between the studs. Naturally, LDD won't let you do that, so I placed it in the approximate location for the renders and instructions I gave her.

This sounds like the AFOL equivalent of laughing at all of your jokes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

xzzy posted:

Nice. Wanna see it with the blue accents.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Jordanis posted:

This sounds like the AFOL equivalent of laughing at all of your jokes.

How do you mean?

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Neurion posted:

How do you mean?

Flirting.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Neurion posted:

How do you mean?

What ireladd said. She's into you, dude.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Neurion posted:

"Ordinarily, I'm not supposed to sell from the kid's bricks. ...but I could trade it for some coffee and company down at Starbucks."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Actually that sounds more like the AFOL equivalent of that goon who carried a printer five miles for a girl he liked.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Travis343 posted:

Actually that sounds more like the AFOL equivalent of that goon who carried a printer five miles for a girl he liked.

Phase 2: Lego Mix Tape

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Gravy Jones posted:

Phase 2: Lego Mix Tape

Holy poo poo, is there a ldd of that somewhere?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rev. B:

Rev. B by mrxzzy, on Flickr

Still not happy with it, picture doesn't show it but it feels too short on the back end now. Probably going to be a dud build but it was still fun.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Reduce the amount of thrusters to either 2 or 1 and add a vertical fin.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
But then it won't be fast enough to keep the chinstrap intact! :ohdear:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Thank you, I from the past, for this gift of lego I'm about to enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

drat I loved that set.