Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

So if Eater of Worlds despawns during a fight, do I have to break more orbs to resummon it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Respawn it, more like, but another three orbs will guarantee another tussle with the Eater of Worlds. There's also making his spawning item at an Altar, which involves rotten chunks and vile powder and then using it while within Corruption.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

1337JiveTurkey posted:

So if Eater of Worlds despawns during a fight, do I have to break more orbs to resummon it?

Many bosses, Eater included, despawn at dawn. So spawn bosses like that as soon as night falls if you think it's going to take a while.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I'm glad to hear the money cheats are fixed, I never used them myself.

The easiest legit way to earn money in the late game is to kill The Destroyer over and over again. Once you've built all the stuff you can build from Souls of Might and Hallowed Bars, you can just sell the bars and souls, and you'll earn about one platinum per boss kill.

Killing The Twins or Skeletron Prime works just as well, although they aren't a trivially easy fight like The Destroyer is. Seriously, that Golden Shower piss-magic spell utterly wrecks The Destroyer; with that spell and a set of endgame equipment I can solo-kill him five times in one night if I have enough summoning items.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Fewd posted:

Many bosses, Eater included, despawn at dawn. So spawn bosses like that as soon as night falls if you think it's going to take a while.

False, the Eater can be summoned in broad daylight as long as you're in the Corruption.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How to make money:
Go to the hardmode.
Drink a Battle Potion
Kill stuff.

Most stuff drops multiple coins, then the items they drop can be converted into gold easily.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

LAY-ZX posted:

False, the Eater can be summoned in broad daylight as long as you're in the Corruption.

This ^^^

He probably despawned because you left the corruption.

Bosses that can only be summoned at night: Eye, Skeletron, Skeletron Prime, Twins, Destroyer. They despawn (sometimes killing you first) at dawn.

Eater and Brain leave if you leave their respective biomes and the Wall despawns if it makes it all the way across hell.

Golem, Plantera and King Slime despawn if you get too far away. I don't know if the Queen Bee does this as well.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
So at what point do you think it's a good time to take on the wall of flesh? I've got a full set of molten armor, and will get the last sword for Night's Edge soon. I've beaten Skeletron but haven't looted the dungeon yet, and haven't really done much of anything at all in the jungle.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Wait how do you only need one more Sword for the Night's Edge if you haven't touched the jungle OR the dungeon?

You could probably fight him right now if you wanted, but I'd at least loot the dungeon first. There's some nice weapons in there plus you should come across a Shadow Key that will get you even nicer weapons from the chests in hell. And, yeah, if you're working on making a Night's Edge you might as well finish that too.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

LAY-ZX posted:

Wait how do you only need one more Sword for the Night's Edge if you haven't touched the jungle OR the dungeon?

You could probably fight him right now if you wanted, but I'd at least loot the dungeon first. There's some nice weapons in there plus you should come across a Shadow Key that will get you even nicer weapons from the chests in hell. And, yeah, if you're working on making a Night's Edge you might as well finish that too.

Well, I grabbed the muramasa because it was in the first chest I found, but haven't touched the jungle at all yet. So I fibbed a little.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

20 worlds and only one drat living tree that actually had an underground tunnel. No living tree wand. :negative:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Machai posted:

This ^^^

I ended up on the surface since I didn't have enough light in the chasms and I guess I jumped too high or somehow convinced the game that I wasn't really in the corruption. If I don't have to beat it first to make worm food, I think I'm going that route and building an ebonstone arena on the surface this time around.

six in a row
Feb 2, 2007
One time I got my kicks with Joe...
So..is there any sort of way to revert to an older version of terraria?

I hadn't played this in a long time, but my interested was piped when I saw the new patch. However, after a few days, I remembered that I don't really have the drive to play this game out in it's normal state - I find it really fun for a little while, but then kinda stop caring about 'progressing' (not even into hardmode yet), and am too lazy to actually mine poo poo to use for the creative/building side of the game.

Then I remembered that I had played the story of red cloud mod before, and I had absolutely loved it. I checked back in and since I played last there have been a TON of new improvements and additions, but what really caught my attention was that they had made multiplayer work for it. and I REALLY want to play through the newest red cloud version with a buddy.

Except 1.2 breaks all tconfig mods. And I don't have a backup of the old install on my computer. I am not a computer wizard. Would something like system restore do the trick? Or is there some way in steam to get older versions?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I don't think there's any way to revert to an old version thanks to Steam, but it probably won't be long until Red Cloud gets a compatibility upgrade.

six in a row
Feb 2, 2007
One time I got my kicks with Joe...
Maybe. The info I found on their forums was really hit and miss - most of it pointing to lots of 'building from scratch' for things like tconfig. I don't know much about it either way, other than it seems like one of those extremely vague timeframes (could be in a week, could be in a few months, could be much longer until someone really starts working on it).

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Edwhirl posted:

So at what point do you think it's a good time to take on the wall of flesh? I've got a full set of molten armor, and will get the last sword for Night's Edge soon. I've beaten Skeletron but haven't looted the dungeon yet, and haven't really done much of anything at all in the jungle.

I can't remember what kind of armor I had because it was forever ago that I did this but what you have to do is drink the walking on water potion (can't remember the name at the moment), use a heat protection shield or potion, and then start at one side of the map, summon the wall of flesh, and continuously use the water bolt spell towards it while running away from it. It was incredibly easy. However, you have to loot the dungeon to get the water bolt.

Just checked out the new updates, they're incredible. Before 1.2 I had basically finished the game except for beating skeletron prime, which meant I couldn't finish my Hallowed armor. Finally today I was able to get some hallowed bars and craft my greaves. Hell yeah.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
How do I get Deathweed/seeds if I have crimson? Just SOL, no grav potions for me?

Is there anything else important lost in these substitutes

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Deathweed still grows randomly on crimstone. I don't know if it grows on crimson grass, I don't recall ever seeing it there.

The only other loss from getting Crimson is you can't get vile mushrooms, which means no vile powder, which means no directly transmuting Hallow to Normal terrain until you get the Clentaminator.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Verviticus posted:

How do I get Deathweed/seeds if I have crimson? Just SOL, no grav potions for me?

Is there anything else important lost in these substitutes

Create another world and hopefully it'll have the corruption in it

I am pissed. Skeletron Prime apparently just spawns randomly now and I've gotten him twice in two hours and I had him down to 8000 HP when dawn came. I will never beat this fucker :smith:

Hours of cursed flame collection down the shitter.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

The only other loss from getting Crimson is you can't get vile mushrooms, which means no vile powder, which means no directly transmuting Hallow to Normal terrain until you get the Clentaminator.

Good thing there's literally no reason to do that.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Klayboxx posted:

Ok, it doesn't just end with my guide duplicating....
WHY?

THIS IS GOING TO BE A HUGE PAIN IN THE rear end TO DEAL WITH!

I have a guide in my span area, and another one has moved into the house I looted on a floating island.

Zereth posted:

It means it won't poof if it falls in lava.

Ah, cool, I thought (hoped) it might be some kind of bat generator

Hummingbirds posted:

...use the water bolt spell towards it while running away from it. ...you have to loot the dungeon to get the water bolt.

It's worth the effort in my opinion. I love that thing. It clears a path, ricochets, lights up, kills guys.
Also, it looks like a book :shobon: So if you like Harry Potter, you can shout out expelliarmus, or whatever. I don't actually know if Harry Potter has a laser/water magic book weapon, but it should have.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mzbundifund posted:

Deathweed still grows randomly on crimstone. I don't know if it grows on crimson grass, I don't recall ever seeing it there.

Doesn't the Dryad sell vile powder during blood moons?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

LAY-ZX posted:

Oh right. I got it mixed with the Destroyer.

Harms
Dec 4, 2006
from outerspace
Can anyone confirm for me that Armor Polish does indeed drop from regular hardmode armored skeletons, i.e. not those found in the hardmode dungeon? Been going crazy farming for this item. I'm farming in an area that also spawns Corruption mobs, would that affect the drop rates from the skeletons?

Starting to get super frustrated - I've had 3 Beam Swords, 4 Trifold Maps, 4 Blindfolds, and 2 Vitamins drop - yet no a single goddamned Armor Polish.

Harms fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 11, 2013

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Harms posted:

Can anyone confirm for me that Armor Polish does indeed drop from regular hardmode armored skeletons, i.e. not those found in the hardmode dungeon? Been going crazy farming for this item. I'm farming in an area that also spawns Corruption mobs, would that affect the drop rates from the skeletons?

Starting to get super frustrated - I've had 3 Beam Swords, 4 Trifold Maps, 4 Blindfolds, and 2 Vitamins drop - yet no a single goddamned Armor Polish.

If you still need some armour polish I have 3 that I don't need.

lohli fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 11, 2013

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What does everyone do for money? I farm the Destroyer for Might and Hallow bars, is there anything more efficient? Reforging vampire knives at 72g a pop is painful.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

Harms posted:

I can confirm, because I've managed to have one drop for me and have yet to visit the hard mode dungeon.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Got a couple of question; I'm building a Yggdrasil complex right on the end of Crimson, as two of the large trees spawned there and I figured I could build my living tree complex between them. How hosed am I when I reach Hard Mode? Does living wood block Crimson or am I looking at the whole complex getting corrupted? Can I quarantine Crimson with living wood or do I need a different material?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Living wood does not get corrupted, just like normal wood would. You can definitely block the Crimson off, although be wary of it spreading underground and around a wall.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

KazigluBey posted:

Got a couple of question; I'm building a Yggdrasil complex right on the end of Crimson, as two of the large trees spawned there and I figured I could build my living tree complex between them. How hosed am I when I reach Hard Mode? Does living wood block Crimson or am I looking at the whole complex getting corrupted? Can I quarantine Crimson with living wood or do I need a different material?

I think wood is immune, but don't take my word for it.

Just go to the Dryad, buy a bunch of magical fairy rainbow dust, and throw it everywhere until the Crimson is at an acceptable distance. Then dig a big loving trench at least 3 blocks wide and fill it with something incorruptible, like obsidian or glass or lava or Guides or something.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Just started playing this game this week, the mode where you die and lose items seemed like the best choice so I went with that.

Mostly I died a lot and fell down a lot of holes.(and then my stuff fell down holes, too)

BUT, last night right before bed I found a sick trident and boomerang right as I started a new world. Skies the limit!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Machai posted:

This ^^^

Bosses that can only be summoned at night: Eye, Skeletron, Skeletron Prime, Twins, Destroyer. They despawn (sometimes killing you first) at dawn.

Eater and Brain leave if you leave their respective biomes and the Wall despawns if it makes it all the way across hell.

Golem, Plantera and King Slime despawn if you get too far away. I don't know if the Queen Bee does this as well.

The Queen Bee will not despawn. I know this because I accidentally clicked on my Magic Mirror slot when trying to target her and she followed me back to my house.

cutie
Oct 22, 2010
I made a cosy hobbit hole

I really struggle at being creative with this type of game and all my buildings look like total poo poo. This is the first time I have been quite happy with something I made.

The tree to the left is enormous and harpies spawn at the top. (I'm playing on a medium size world). I plan to do a generic tree house type thing with the tree and have some npcs living in boxes hanging from the branches.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Dareon posted:

The Queen Bee will not despawn. I know this because I accidentally clicked on my Magic Mirror slot when trying to target her and she followed me back to my house.

I swear half my decent spelunking expeditions end in an accidental Mirror-port, after which I remember why I never keep that loving thing on my bars.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Enallyniv posted:

I swear half my decent spelunking expeditions end in an accidental Mirror-port, after which I remember why I never keep that loving thing on my bars.

At which point you end up getting gangbanged by three Diabolists at once in the HM Dungeon and wonder why exactly you took the mirror off of your bar.

And the cycle repeats.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Holy cow, paladins do not mess around. Golden Shower only gets them madder.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Holy cow, paladins do not mess around. Golden Shower only gets them madder.

If you use a chain to hang above them, then fire down on top of them with a gun or magic, the knockback keeps him from using hammers. I'd have a Mana Flower handy to keep the pressure on, because he has a crapload of health and defense.

It's all about positioning and endurance. They do drop one of the most powerful melee weapons, though.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Paladin's won't throw hammers so long as you're horizontal from them; they'll just slowly trundle towards you while you shoot them full of (a lot) of holes.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
What's the best way to deal with enemies spawning on top of your houses? I made a cool-as-gently caress floating castle entirely out of bone and poo poo like zombies keep spawning all over the place right on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Office Thug posted:

What's the best way to deal with enemies spawning on top of your houses? I made a cool-as-gently caress floating castle entirely out of bone and poo poo like zombies keep spawning all over the place right on top of it.

Sounds to me like it needs a Dwarf Fortress treatment: add more spikes and/or lava.

• Locked thread