Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If the eShop can handle Pokemon's release it is officially bulletproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

I'm hoping to download the new pokemon game, it releases on the 12th. My question is do new releases come online at midnight on the release day? And will there be any issues downloading it, like is there lag the eshop is notorious for? Thank you. :)

The eShop usually ends up being surprisingly fast for these retail downloads on release night. HOWEVER as others have said, this is probably the single biggest release it's ever had to handle. At the very least you should probably plan to have it download over night and then if it's faster you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
What about the eShop in Europe? Any idea if it follows the NA time schedule or it's seperate (and in this case, which timezone)?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

What about the eShop in Europe? Any idea if it follows the NA time schedule or it's seperate (and in this case, which timezone)?

This was answered is the other thread, it updates midnight CET (GMT+1).

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Thanks, it's a bit hard to keep track of the Pokemon thread (I'm guessing that this is the one you meant) :shobon:
So 1am over in Germany. Good enough, I'll try my luck with the download.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh neat, looks they they're finally putting multiple languages onto the Pokémon carts. No more multi-dipping! :toot:

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
I know it's passé to complain about VC releases...but really Nintendo?

The original NES Tennis and Golf for $5 a piece? So stupid.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

I know it's passé to complain about VC releases...but really Nintendo?

The original NES Tennis and Golf for $5 a piece? So stupid.

Yeah. Even their GB counterparts are less than the usual GB price on the 3DS.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Asda broke street date on Pokémon and so did the website that I ordered it from, yay :v: So much for digital downloads being the fastest method of getting a launch day release!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Regy Rusty posted:

The eShop usually ends up being surprisingly fast for these retail downloads on release night. HOWEVER as others have said, this is probably the single biggest release it's ever had to handle. At the very least you should probably plan to have it download over night and then if it's faster you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Bulbapedia tweeted that download times of an hour to and hour and a half were reported.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Do full size first party games EVER go on sale on the eShop? I've been using the eShop from the beginning and the only one I can remember was Ocarina of Time 3D being 50% off, once.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Very occasionally, yes. eShop-exclusive titles tend to be discounted more than retail downloads.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I still have that $30 worth of Eshop credit and I wanted to buy Virtue's Last Reward. Is there anything on the eshop that money would go towards that's better? I enjoyed 999, and I've been dodging spoilers so I could go into the game fresh (very rare for me to do), but I'm wondering if I should wait and get it at another time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Momomo posted:

So I still have that $30 worth of Eshop credit and I wanted to buy Virtue's Last Reward. Is there anything on the eshop that money would go towards that's better? I enjoyed 999, and I've been dodging spoilers so I could go into the game fresh (very rare for me to do), but I'm wondering if I should wait and get it at another time.

Ace Attorney 5 is eShop-exclusive and will be out on the 24th for $29.99.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of October 17):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Sonic Lost World (October 18) - €49.99 / Ł39.99
    Hot Wheels World's Best Driver - €39.99 / Ł29.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Clu Clu Land (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / Ł3.49
    Urban Champion (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / Ł3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / Ł4.49 until November 10

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Sonic Lost World (October 18) - €39.99 / Ł34.99
    Hot Wheels World's Best Drive - €24.99 / Ł19.99
    Planet Crashers 3D - €4.99 / Ł4.49 (permanent price reduction)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    City Connection (NES) - €3.99 / Ł3.59
DSiWare
    Cute Witch! runner - 200 Points / €1.99 / Ł1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    SteamWorld Dig (3DS eShop) - €7.19 / Ł6.39 from October 17-20
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / Ł5.39 from October 17-31
    Heavy Fire: Special Operations 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / Ł3.59 until October 17
    3D Game Collection (3DS) - €2.00 / Ł2.00 until October 25
    3D Mahjongg (3DS eShop) - €2.00 / Ł2.00 until October 25
    Gardenscapes (3DS) - €2.00 / Ł2.00 until October 25
    Murder On The Titanic (3DS) - €2.00 / Ł2.00 until October 25
    Tangram Style (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / Ł2.69 until October 31
    Dress To Play: Magic Bubbles (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / Ł1.79 until November 10

gently caress off, Urban Champion.

3DS dudes, note the upcoming SteamWorld Dig sale - it's one of the best games on eShop, so check it out if you haven't already bought it.

Both the WU and 3DS versions of Sonic Lost World seem like they'll be pretty good, but it's never easy to tell with Sonic games. The WU retail version is getting a "Deadly Six" first-print edition that includes some bonus NiGHTS-themed content; here's what the press release says about the digital version:

"You can also receive download codes for the additional level available in the Deadly Six Edition and five Black Bomb colour powers if you purchase Sonic Lost World from Nintendo eShop on your Wii U between 00:01 on October 18th and 23:59 on October 26th. Before purchasing you must first register your Wii U console with your Club Nintendo account, then log in to Club Nintendo after purchasing and check the banners to claim and redeem your free download codes on or before 31st December 2013. You can find out how to register Wii U in Club Nintendo."

I don't think they've said you'll be able to purchase this stuff separately, so keep that in mind.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, definitely gonna grab SteamWorld Dig now. Thought it looked pretty cool before, have to get it while it's on sale.

Urban Champion can gently caress itself, but Clu Clu Land is pretty cool. Not something I'd buy now, but I played it a fair bit in Animal Crossing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Momomo posted:

As ninja mentioned, AA5 comes out soon and will be exactly $30.

But VLR is a really good game and if you got all endings in 999, you'll enjoy your time with VLR.

Really, both games are essentially visual-novel likes, so you can pick based on which one you feel like playing right now.

(and in case you've missed it, Pokemon came out)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
US version of Cluclu land? I thought that game was famicom only except for being in animal crossing.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

greatn posted:

US version of Cluclu land? I thought that game was famicom only except for being in animal crossing.

It was an NES launch title.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

I don't know who gives less a gently caress about VC on Wii U:

Nintendo NA (for first gen NES sport games) or Europe (for Urban Champion)

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Hey. Tecmo Bowl defined football video games for me as a kid, even when better football games came out. I'm glad to see it, and it's just as hilarious as it always was to in essence punch your way across the football field.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Looks to me that Commodore themselves published the games in the US at least. So maybe they just had a timed license that expired after four years.

Weird licensing issues?! With Commodore?! Perish the thought!?

I'm sad, though, I hoped I'd see such bizarro childhood favorites as Rad Warrior (which I only recently managed to convince myself was not something I had hallucinated.)

Typhoon Jim fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 14, 2013

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

perianwyr posted:

Hey. Tecmo Bowl defined football video games for me as a kid, even when better football games came out. I'm glad to see it, and it's just as hilarious as it always was to in essence punch your way across the football field.

Ah, but it is not on the Wii U. There's a Wii and 3DS version (which no sense since it is not multiplayer).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Clu Clu Land is a pretty fun launch game, though I don't know if it'll be worth $5 to most folks. Urban Champion is like one of the earliest fighting games. It's also not a good game, even back when it was new (I remember when it was new :negative: ).

That being said, I own physical copies of both for my NES, along with pretty much all of the games currently on the Wii U VC, so I wonder why I bother buying VC games in the first place.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mercury Crusader posted:

Clu Clu Land is a pretty fun launch game, though I don't know if it'll be worth $5 to most folks. Urban Champion is like one of the earliest fighting games. It's also not a good game, even back when it was new (I remember when it was new :negative: ).

That being said, I own physical copies of both for my NES, along with pretty much all of the games currently on the Wii U VC, so I wonder why I bother buying VC games in the first place.

Gives you a good reason to replay them!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Nintendo in General.

If they gave a drat they wouldn't price NES games like the arcade ports (Ice Climber, Mario Bros, DK), Urban Champion, the old sports games at $5 like they were made of loving gold or something.

They'd be reasonably priced at $1-$2 like they should be, also stuff would be dynamically priced instead of fixed at a standard pricing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of October 17):

gently caress off, Urban Champion.

What the hell!? Super Mario Bros. 3 isn't even out on PAL Virtual Console yet. Why are they releasing Urban Champion already at all? :psyduck:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Ah, but it is not on the Wii U. There's a Wii and 3DS version (which no sense since it is not multiplayer).

The 3DS version definitely has multiplayer. All the NES (and Game Gear) VC games on 3DS have local multiplayer via Download Play.

greatn posted:

There was a second version for Famicom Disk System that was included in Animal Crossing, you're probably thinking of that game.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The 3DS version definitely has multiplayer. All the NES (and Game Gear) VC games on 3DS have local multiplayer via Download Play.

Huh! I wasn't aware. That's pretty cool.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mighty Switch Force 2 HD confirmed for next week in Europe. It's expected to be the same price as the 3DS version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Again, just so people know, MSF2HD doesn't actually have redrawn graphics or extra content like the first Wii U game, it's pretty much a straight port from the 3DS.

Also, Capcom posted an update on those MM VC games; they didn't really say anything, just that they're definitely in the queue. Japan already has X2 on Wii U and MMII/III/IV on 3DS, who knows why they're taking so long to come out elsewhere.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Well, they did give sort of a reason:

quote:

These are just a handful of titles in Nintendo's busy VC schedule. There are new titles releasing each week so that means a bit of a bottleneck.

So you see, Nintendo knows you guys really like Mega Man, but they needed to get Urban Champion on the Wii U VC pronto.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Champeenship posted:

So you see, Nintendo knows you guys really like Mega Man, but they needed to get Urban Champion on the Wii U VC pronto.

Because it's impossible to release more than one game a week, of course. Meanwhile the Japanese PSN has 678 PS1 classic titles on it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

"busy VC schedule"

"Busy" would be if they were maintaining the three-a-week schedule they used to have going (the 3DS never had a period like this, but the Wii U and Wii both did).

The drip approach doesn't even make sense on the Wii U, because there isn't real scarcity to take advantage of; for example, they're touting that SMB3 is coming soon, but SMB3 is already purchasable and playable on a Wii U (just not very conveniently). Surely they'd do better financially by making it less of a hassle to purchase what they're already openly selling?

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 17, 2013

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
The one thing I have loving hated about Nintendo since the Wii launch is how loving slow the VC releases are. It's loving pathetic and comes off as insanely lazy on their part. Look at something like Steam which releases upwards of dozens of games per week and the ~maybe 3 games is just pitiful and unnecessary.

Literally mad irl about old video game downloads.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

The Machine posted:

The one thing I have loving hated about Nintendo since the Wii launch is how loving slow the VC releases are. It's loving pathetic and comes off as insanely lazy on their part. Look at something like Steam which releases upwards of dozens of games per week and the ~maybe 3 games is just pitiful and unnecessary.

Literally mad irl about old video game downloads.

Valve doesn't develop all the video games that get released on Steam.

The slow releases for the VC is lovely, but Nintendo only has so many games they can put up there before they run out and have to rely on third-parties for the rest of the games. Look at the 3DS VC: most of Nintendo's original Game Boy games are already on the system, with the only ones remaining being the Donkey Kong Land games, the early Pokemon games, Wave Race, and Play Action Football. I figure they think it's better to drip feed the poo poo rather than throw them all out at once and then people complain there aren't any games being released at all after the fact. That being said, the Wii U VC releases are anemic, and I wish they'd have a better release schedule.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Valve doesn't develop all the video games that get released on Steam.

The slow releases for the VC is lovely, but Nintendo only has so many games they can put up there before they run out and have to rely on third-parties for the rest of the games. Look at the 3DS VC: most of Nintendo's original Game Boy games are already on the system, with the only ones remaining being the Donkey Kong Land games, the early Pokemon games, and Play Action Football. I figure they think it's better to drip feed the poo poo rather than throw them all out at once and then people complain there aren't any games being released at all after the fact. That being said, the Wii U VC releases are anemic, and I wish they'd have a better release schedule.

I'm sure some companies might be more interested in releasing games on the VC if they had a better choice than releasing ancient (NES, GB) games on a system with an actual userbase or more modern (GBA, SNES) games on a system nobody owns. The fact that there's still no SNES or GBA games on the 3DS virtual console is absolutely criminal.

I would throw down $10 in a heartbeat for Earthbound, Minish Cap, older pokemon etc and that's not even getting into the 3rd party stuff.

uPen fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 17, 2013

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

univbee posted:

Because it's impossible to release more than one game a week, of course. Meanwhile the Japanese PSN has 678 PS1 classic titles on it.

And still no Ape Escape or Pac-Man World or Megaman anything.

Neither system is perfect.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

uPen posted:

I'm sure some companies might be more interested in releasing games on the VC if they had a better choice than releasing ancient (NES, GB) games on a system with an actual userbase or more modern (GBA, SNES) games on a system nobody owns. The fact that there's still no SNES or GBA games on the 3DS virtual console is absolutely criminal.

I'd be satisfied if they can get GBA games on the 3DS at all.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

The slow releases for the VC is lovely, but Nintendo only has so many games they can put up there before they run out and have to rely on third-parties for the rest of the games. Look at the 3DS VC: most of Nintendo's original Game Boy games are already on the system, with the only ones remaining being the Donkey Kong Land games, the early Pokemon games, Wave Race, and Play Action Football. I figure they think it's better to drip feed the poo poo rather than throw them all out at once and then people complain there aren't any games being released at all after the fact.
Yeah but in addition to not releasing Gameboy Advance titles they also have not released Nintendo 64 titles. Or many Super Nintendo titles. And were Gamecube games ever coming? They could be going way faster even if they only can put up their own titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I hate to bring up Sony again but the Vita's old-game-library is loving enormous and most of the titles (all of the titles?) that you buy on PSP, Vita or PS3/PS4 are playable on all 3(4) systems. Compare that to nintendo where you can't even transfer your purchases from one 3ds to a new one without physical access to the original 3ds.

Nintendo is seriously loving up here, if anyone should be crushing the 'sell our old games' shtick it's them.