Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Shipping chat is dumb and those of you defending it are dummies. I come to SA to stay away from that sort of thing dammit.

Besides everybody knows it's AnniexRobot'sHoodie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Well I learned a new thing today, thanks guys you can stop now. please

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

VanSandman posted:

I come to SA to stay away from that sort of thing dammit.

So you come to Something Awful to stay away from something awful. Heh.

Now, I am not saying this as shipping chat, but Annie's blush was so intense and so adorable that it made me wonder if she might not have a slight crush on Yssengrin. Unused to praise from father figures is a better explanation. Thank goodness.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
A part of me hopes that the next page shows Ysengrin suddenly having a deadpan expression while claiming Annie is still weak.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Wittgen posted:

So you come to Something Awful to stay away from something awful. Heh.

Now, I am not saying this as shipping chat, but Annie's blush was so intense and so adorable that it made me wonder if she might not have a slight crush on Yssengrin. Unused to praise from father figures is a better explanation. Thank goodness.

I guess to expand, as someone with self esteem problems, it's easy to rationalize away praise from nice people like Mr. Donland as "oh that's just the way they are, they aren't really being sincere," but with Ysen, you can't really do that because he is a Forest Creature and purely honest (and he likes to insult you by calling you weak, and now you proved you're awesomeness and he loved it).

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

SeedyV posted:

A part of me hopes that the next page shows Ysengrin suddenly having a deadpan expression while claiming Annie is still weak.

I'm still hoping she visits her forest friends in the village soon.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

PrinceRandom posted:

I guess to expand, as someone with self esteem problems, it's easy to rationalize away praise from nice people like Mr. Donland as "oh that's just the way they are, they aren't really being sincere," but with Ysen, you can't really do that because he is a Forest Creature and purely honest (and he likes to insult you by calling you weak, and now you proved you're awesomeness and he loved it).

I don't think honesty is necessarily a universal trait among forest creatures but Ysengrin is definitely a straight shooter.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I love watching these two interact when one of them isn't trying to kill the other.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Their friendship sure has progressed given what happened the last time we she saw Ys out of his tree suit.

Cannonballoon fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 11, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Dawww. He trusts her now :3:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Heh, I'm sure we'll never run into some other creature able to control fire in the future :chord:

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
I just really liked this panel:

:3:

Also had time to finally do this.

If you require the services of a medium, I am happy to talk with you.

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 11, 2013

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Happy Y full of praise for Annie was moving enough, but the fact that he likes and trusts her enough to let her see him out of his tree, there's not enough :3: in the world.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Heh, I'm sure we'll never run into some other creature able to control fire in the future :chord:

Foreshadowing :tinfoil:

Wyld Karde posted:

Happy Y full of praise for Annie was moving enough, but the fact that he likes and trusts her enough to let her see him out of his tree, there's not enough :3: in the world.

That's exactly what I was thinking too. And it's not just the fact that he shows himself in his vulnerable state to Annie, but the fact that this is Ysengrin, to whom strenth and resilience are some of the highest values, who flies into a rage if he gets the mere idea humans aren't intimidated by him, because to Ysengrin, it means they don't respect him. It's probably as close and intimate to him as you can get.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Now Annie, when you walk back to the Court, and Kat and Elgamore are surprised and worried about the state of your clothes, do NOT say "Oh don't worry, this blood isn't mine, it's Ysengrin's."

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Man even out of his tree suit Ysengrin is a really big doggy.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

It's nice to have a Friday panel set in a relaxing moment for once. No two-day cliffhangers, just a gal and her doggy chilling out. :3:

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Ys would probably take offense if you called him a dog. He is a mighty wolf-tree-man... thing.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm pretty sure calling him 'nice doggy' would skip the 'probably take offense' phase and go right to 'oh dear, where is my jaw?' phase. But that's okay, he still looks like a nice doggy today. :v:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I just want to thank the random people of the forum using Gunnerkrigg Court characters as their avatars, because it made me ask "why do some of these avatars look so similar," which eventually led me to reading Tom's wonderful comic. Seriously, this is like my favorite thing on the internet right now, and I've devoured the archives and am now left waiting restlessly for each new strip. :3:

I do wonder just what exactly Ysengrin is though, since after the recent reveal with Coyote I think that he used to be something more (power-wise, I mean).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

imperialparadox posted:

I just want to thank the random people of the forum using Gunnerkrigg Court characters as their avatars, because it made me ask "why do some of these avatars look so similar," which eventually led me to reading Tom's wonderful comic. Seriously, this is like my favorite thing on the internet right now, and I've devoured the archives and am now left waiting restlessly for each new strip. :3:

I do wonder just what exactly Ysengrin is though, since after the recent reveal with Coyote I think that he used to be something more (power-wise, I mean).

Both Yesngrin and Renard are from medieval folktales, Yesngrin was basically the Tom to Renard's Jerry.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

imperialparadox posted:

This is exactly how I got into it, except it was through Talking Time avatars instead of SA.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

imperialparadox posted:

Ya. Gunnerkrigg avatars are pretty common around this forum. We get a lot of people commenting that they saw all the avatars then read the comic.

VV: I think I've had like four GK avatars now. I know what you mean.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 11, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I know you are talking about the av fairy but it really is tempting to grab the ones people post after a new panel.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

dyzzy posted:

I know you are talking about the av fairy but it really is tempting to grab the ones people post after a new panel.

I hear that. I love my Trelyate one or else I'd already have another Kriggatar.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I should be in bed so I decided to toy with Paint.NET

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 11, 2013

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Kennel posted:

Holy crap, that's nice.

I like my Jonestar though. Took forever to get it under the size limit.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Dr Pepper posted:

Both Yesngrin and Renard are from medieval folktales, Yesngrin was basically the Tom to Renard's Jerry.

Now that you mention it it's sort of obvious, I wonder how I managed to overlook that. I really like how the comic incorporates threads of existing folklore into its mythos.

Also, thanks avatar fairy, whoever you are!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Anoia posted:

Jonestar

Now I really want to see Jones drawn in the style of Jojo's Bizarre adventure.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Jonestar? Jones is the etherial avatar of the sun, here to watch the earth.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well, look what happens while I'm off the forum for a few hours. Thanks, Av Fairy!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
These last few pages have been really really great. I especially like how Annie gets that blood on her and is just like 'oh blood? whatever, it'll wipe off'

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Kennel posted:

Woah, these look really nice. Good job on those. Also the idea of two kinda horrifying teenage girl ether-beasts posing for selfies is really funny, so kudos to the tumblr person too.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I've been hoping for that ever since the Tom comment on http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=601

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

The Lord of Hats posted:

Since she's an immortal being who has been on Earth since the dawn of time, Jones is clearly a Pillarwoman.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

pandaK posted:

Most popular ships are actually pretty grounded in things that happen in the canon. It could be a major thing or the most minor of interactions between the two characters which balloons into said ships. At that point it's basically like writing "What if?" fanfiction.
Also I find your statement about ignoring the creator's personal connections with their story kind of odd. I find that the vast majority of media consumers prefer to make their own interpretations on what they've read or watched etc instead of fully deciphering what the author originally intended with their text. Isn't this the whole point of the mentality that "the author is dead?" At least that's what I think on this matter. I'm not necessarily defending shipping, nor am I condemning it. I just feel that there is a precedent for their existence and shouldn't be considered "totally unnecessary."

"Let me explain, Mr. Pines-sometimes, when people like a show, they make up a whole new version of that show in their heads and get mad when the real one doesn't match up!" ~ Alex Hirsch

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Tupperwarez posted:

Since she's an immortal being who has been on Earth since the dawn of time, Jones is clearly a Pillarwoman.

Tonjones?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

RickoniX posted:

Tonjones?

It's not unusual.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Wyld Karde posted:

It's not unusual.

I hate you.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

This chapter ended as :3: as it started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

This was a good chapter. :unsmith:

That sucks. The :smith: is coming, friends. And it will hit with a force hitherto unknown.