Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

PJOmega posted:

http://meeples.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/big-ships-coming-for-star-wars-x-wing-miniatures-from-ffg/

In other news, did anyone here pick up multiple Wave 1 X-Wings and/or Tie Fighters? I can get the models from the core sets but I cannot get the unique pilots. Anyone willing to part with the pilot cards?

Edit: Also is the voidstate builder having problems for anyone else? It gets stuck on loading enhancement cards.

Voidstate went on a crazy long world tour and decided to push a bunch of untested code live right before doing so. It's not going to be super usable for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

Voidstate went on a crazy long world tour and decided to push a bunch of untested code live right before doing so. It's not going to be super usable for a while.

Glad I grabbed most of the card info for my text file from it before then I guess. Still, ouch.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
With Voidstate down, is there another decent squad building utility that'll let me restrict options based on what I do and don't actually own?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

voidstate works ok for me in firefox still.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

PJOmega posted:

http://meeples.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/big-ships-coming-for-star-wars-x-wing-miniatures-from-ffg/

In other news, did anyone here pick up multiple Wave 1 X-Wings and/or Tie Fighters? I can get the models from the core sets but I cannot get the unique pilots. Anyone willing to part with the pilot cards?

Edit: Also is the voidstate builder having problems for anyone else? It gets stuck on loading enhancement cards.

Right on. Wouldn't it be cooler if they were on the same scale though?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

thunderchief posted:

Right on. Wouldn't it be cooler if they were on the same scale though?

I'm sure you would TOTALLY buy a coffee table sized "miniature".

Edit: ok, so technically the Tantive IV would only be 55 centimeters (22 inches) long, but seeing as the not-quite-to-scale one is $90 bucks, who in the world would buy it? It would cost at least double that, if not more.

Editx2: Spaceship Earth (the sphere at Epcot Center) is only 180ft tall, or about 12% of the 1456 ft required to have the proper 1:270 scale of the 120km Death Star.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 8, 2013

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
If they're doing that, I eagerly await their sale of a 3D gameboard that is an elaborate recreation of the surface of the death star.

Edit: While that would be fun, I meant a 4x4 board at the appropriate scale.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 8, 2013

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Carteret posted:

I'm sure you would TOTALLY buy a coffee table sized "miniature".

Edit: ok, so technically the Tantive IV would only be 55 centimeters (22 inches) long, but seeing as the not-quite-to-scale one is $90 bucks, who in the world would buy it? It would cost at least double that, if not more.

Source on the $90? Was hoping it wouldn't be that much.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

That's the price they have it listed for behind the glass at the FFG Event Center, for what it's worth. I was never really into tabletop games, but I'm really loving X-wing. Although I wish FFG would get the wave 1 reprints out already so I can snag another Y-wing :argh:

Can anyone give me some advice on how best to use bombs? I have Slave 1 and a TIE Bomber but have mainly been using them as missile/torpedo platforms.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Commissar Canuck posted:

That's the price they have it listed for behind the glass at the FFG Event Center, for what it's worth. I was never really into tabletop games, but I'm really loving X-wing. Although I wish FFG would get the wave 1 reprints out already so I can snag another Y-wing :argh:

Can anyone give me some advice on how best to use bombs? I have Slave 1 and a TIE Bomber but have mainly been using them as missile/torpedo platforms.

If you live near the FFGEC you should come to our game night on Wednesdays. I'd be up for some X-Wing, and we're always playing a bunch of board games as well.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
What is the build quality like on these little things? Is it the sort of plastic type where the little pokey bits are gonna be bendy so they never actually point in the right direction exactly or does it stay rigid?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

thunderchief posted:

What is the build quality like on these little things? Is it the sort of plastic type where the little pokey bits are gonna be bendy so they never actually point in the right direction exactly or does it stay rigid?

They are nice and rigid, it's hard plastic, not the droopy stuff. That DOES mean you need to be really careful with the cannons and stuff like that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

thunderchief posted:

Easily the best I've ever seen for pre-painted minis. Nothing like the Star Trek Attack Wing minis.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

thunderchief posted:

Like alg said, they are very good quality and they are made of a hard plastic so not much bending. Not to mention if something does happen to a model, FFG has a really good track record of replacing them. I broke the peg off a B-Wing within a minute of opening it. I sent them an email and a few weeks later I got a package with a replacement model in it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah these are nothing like the StarShip Battles game that came out a few years ago that looked like crap. X-wings quality is 10x better.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Found a store that got a shipment of Wave 1 ships in. Have my unique TIE pilots and my Wedge now.

Also Wedge (Marksmanship) - Biggs (Stealth, R2-F2) - Ten Numb (Autocannon, Draw Their Fire) is silly good.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 11, 2013

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Found a store that got a shipment of Wave 1 ships in. Have my unique TIE pilots and my Wedge now.

Also Wedge (Marksmanship) - Biggs (Stealth, R2-F2) - Ten Numb (Autocannon, Draw Their Fire) is silly good.

Sweet, going to have to swing by my LGS today when they open. See if they got theirs in.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I wandered into Fastbreak Sports on the Northside of Brisbane today, and they had a BUNCH of wave one ships in there too.

Of course in my excitement, I realise now that I didn't even think to look for Y-wings and just grabbed a Tie and X-wing...

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Good lord: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/10/showcase-stunning-x-wing-repaints.html

This Lambda looks amazing.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I would do terrible things to get a set of the asteroids. The repaints are really good but god drat those asteroids.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
What do people think of 3D asteroids? While they certainly look pretty, I'm concerned that they'd interfere too much with the actual gameplay. You can't really overlap ships on top of asteroids (as much as you'd want to avoid it, it would happen) and wouldn't even be able to get close with some ships like the YT1300.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Daedleh posted:

What do people think of 3D asteroids? While they certainly look pretty, I'm concerned that they'd interfere too much with the actual gameplay. You can't really overlap ships on top of asteroids (as much as you'd want to avoid it, it would happen) and wouldn't even be able to get close with some ships like the YT1300.

I made these asteroids and unless someone flies directly on top, I don't have a problem with them. If someone lands on top you have to unscrew it but some people just put bases on the asteroids then put them on top of the asteroid templates.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

I must be the only one who doesn't like those repaints. The asteroids are ok, but goddamn is that Lambda atrociously ugly.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Leif. posted:

I must be the only one who doesn't like those repaints. The asteroids are ok, but goddamn is that Lambda atrociously ugly.

Yeah, you can paint your Firesprays and your YT-1300s however you like. You can put fancy squad colors on your alphabet fighters and I'm with you all the way. But Lambda shuttles don't look like that.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Daedleh posted:

They don't impede the game at all if you do it right. You set the 3d asteroid on top of an asteroid template. So if it looks like a ship will land on an asteroid you leave the template in place and just move the 3d asteroid for the time being. Replace when ship is no longer occupying the location.

No luck on wave 1 ships here. Checked LGS and both BnN's in my area :(. I envy you all so much right now.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

TouchToneDialing posted:

I made these asteroids and unless someone flies directly on top, I don't have a problem with them. If someone lands on top you have to unscrew it but some people just put bases on the asteroids then put them on top of the asteroid templates.

What did you use for the stands, and how easy is it to remove the pumice from the template for movement? I'd like to have asteroid models to go with all my other splurging on this game, but they'd need to be practical from a gameplay standpoint (which yours appear to be).

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Devlan Mud posted:

What did you use for the stands, and how easy is it to remove the pumice from the template for movement? I'd like to have asteroid models to go with all my other splurging on this game, but they'd need to be practical from a gameplay standpoint (which yours appear to be).

I used this set and sliced the top off a set of asteroids to get the graphics. The metal rod in the middle unscrews from the mount in the asteroid and base. So if someone flies into it, you just unscrew it. I like these more than the plastic bases because you can break them down completely for easy storage.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Inperial lists are really dominating here. The most common list I see around is Turr Phenir with a Stealth Device, Krassus Trelix with the Heavy laser Cannon, and two Ties. Having the Firespray toss 4 dice all the time with one re-roll is just brutal and the Ties can still swarm a wounded ship.

Sadly, my models are lost in the mail. The list goes like this:
-Luke with R2D2
-Arvel Crynyd + Stealth
-Grey Squadron Y-wing with Ion Cannon
-A-wing with Prototype pilot.

Also, what is the verdict on torpedos/missiles? They seem to be way too expensive for a one-shot weapon, especially compared to some turrets/abilities.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Inperial lists are really dominating here. The most common list I see around is Turr Phenir with a Stealth Device, Krassus Trelix with the Heavy laser Cannon, and two Ties. Having the Firespray toss 4 dice all the time with one re-roll is just brutal and the Ties can still swarm a wounded ship.

Sadly, my models are lost in the mail. The list goes like this:
-Luke with R2D2
-Arvel Crynyd + Stealth
-Grey Squadron Y-wing with Ion Cannon
-A-wing with Prototype pilot.

Also, what is the verdict on torpedos/missiles? They seem to be way too expensive for a one-shot weapon, especially compared to some turrets/abilities.

That list is going to have a hard time killing anything. None of the ships are offensive and Y-Wings with Ion Cannon's work better in twos. A-wings are really only good as missile deliver ships so they should always have a missile or should be a different ship. I dont like missiles or torpedoes either. Iv never played a list using missiles that doesn't fall apart in the later part of the game.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Assault missles are really good, especially if they're sticking a nice easy to hit Fire Spray in the middle of their ties.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So I just played a rather large 2 vs 2 game with each side fielding 250 point squadrons, and using all the new wave 3 ships.

The Rebels fielded 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing and the HWK, while the Imperials fielded 4 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 TIE Bomber and 1 Lambda Shuttle.

I was playing on the Imperial side (controlling the Interceptors, the Bomber and the Shuttle). It was my first time controlling any of the larger ships, I found it clunky as hell and I think I need a bit more practice before I can pull it off properly, currently I think that the best tactic is just to stick the Shuttle back where it won't get in the way of your TIEs maneuvring, I also think that it can be effective to pair it up with a Bomber if you use the pilot that can transfer target lock or the guy who can absorb target lock. In the game the Bomber didn't really get to do much and as the Rebels decided it was a priority target and brought it down rather early using missiles and torpedoes from the Y-Wing, A-Wing and B-Wing. Kyle Katarn (piloting the HWK) proved really useful as his ability to transfer his focus token to another Rebel ship at range 1-3 allowed for some devastating use of the Adv. Proton Torpedoes and also made Koiogran turns more viable. I had earlier kind of dismissed the TIE Advanced for being too expensive and not maneuvrable enough when compared to a TIE Fighter and an Interceptor, but Vader with Squad Leader was an excellent support asset and even managed to make himself count by chipping away at some of the Rebel ships in concord with the TIE Fighters. Bad maneuvring on my part cost me Turr Phenir early in the game, setting the Imperials back a bit, but my other Interceptor piloted by Soontir Fell (with Daredevil) was easily the deadliest ship I fielded managing to maneuver behind the Rebels and attack them in the rear with almost total impunity, once he got in range of Vader's Squad Leader he became even more deadly, at one point Soontir Fell managed to one-shot Wedge and also ended up finishing off another X-wing, seriously damage the B-Wing and destroy the Y-Wing when it lost its shields.

To sum it up: Bombers seem too vulnerable and may be a bit of a gamble compared to what they bring to the table, the Shuttle is hard to maneuver right to take full advantage of its support capabilities, Interceptors and/or lots of TIEs still seem like the best choice for an Imperial player.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I really doubt TIE Bombers are going to come into their own until the really big ships hit. As it stands they are pretty mediocre.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I've had a lot of success with missiles myself. Tycho rolling on a TIE at range 3 with Push the Limit is awesome. Focus and target lock make hitting for decent damage pretty easy. It's really good for popping Howlrunner early.

Then Tycho just maneuvers circles around fools after that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

nvm

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 13, 2013

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think for missiles to be great you have to have a way to have both focus and target lock at the same time or they're too luck dependent.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

I think for missiles to be great you have to have a way to have both focus and target lock at the same time or they're too luck dependent.

With Kyle Katarn there's actually a rather a handy way to do this for the rebels as he can transfer his focus to any ship at range 1-3. The Imperials can do this the other way around with Colonel Jendon transfering a target lock, however this can only be done at range 1 making it significantly weaker, compounded further by the difficulty of keeping a shuttle within range 1 of a number of your ships without it getting in the way of something.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

My normal squadron is

Wedge
Lando with Nein Nub and Chewbacca
Prototype Pilot with assault rockets.

It lets you move up focus with the A-wing, then have Lando activate later in the order, go straight 4 and give the A-wing a target lock on the enemies that moved after it did.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
A friend of mine and I just pooled together for a nice used lot of X-Wing stuff! For 100 € we got:

2 base games
2 Tie Interceptor
1 Tie Advanced
1 A Wing
1 X Wing
1 Y Wing
and the Millenium Falcon and Slave 1.

Two questions: one, can you guys suggest some starting matchups that aren't too advanced, but not just the bare basics (X-Wing vs 2 TIEs) either? We're used to tabletop games and I think I've got a pretty good grasp of the rules, so I'd like to start with 2-3 ships per side, perhaps one base game + TIE interceptor/A-Wing.

Two, from what I've seen so far the game seems pretty simple and rules-light. That's fine for something to play inbetween, but does it have enough staying power to keep you interested after the first couple of games?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The game is deep as heck. I suggest starting here: http://www.themetalbikini.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

These repaints :getout:

http://www.themetalbikini.com/2013/10/j-songs-repaints-arts-and-spacecrafts.html

• Locked thread