Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, video games sometimes have good stories, but it's a matter of adaptation and different mediums. There's a reason the Super Robot Wars OG animes aren't written by all seventy-six of the people they probably have writing the actual games, and there's a reason the Tales of the Abyss anime drops a lot of random subplots.

AGE's problem is that the writer never realized that you can't write an anime exactly like a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

To be fair, video games sometimes have good stories, but it's a matter of adaptation and different mediums. There's a reason the Super Robot Wars OG animes aren't written by all seventy-six of the people they probably have writing the actual games, and there's a reason the Tales of the Abyss anime drops a lot of random subplots.

AGE's problem is that the writer never realized that you can't write an anime exactly like a video game.

That's one of AGE's problems. Some video games, for instance, actually have female characters with personalities.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, true, AGE wouldn't even be particularly well written as a video game. Or at all well written.

Or possibly not even 'written.'

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
One of the cool things about age is the 3 minutes at the beginning of the episode it spends recapping the previous episode, especially when it recaps something from EARLY ON in the previous episode instead of the events leading up to "now."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To give them very very slight credit, the AGE game actually makes a little more sense than the show. They develop things not developed in the show and alter some of the plot points.(Fardain makes more sense, for example.) It's still bad tho'.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Also montages are great, especially when they're used to avoid describing important events or giving the viewer a way to get emotionally invested.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Whoever's playing the game really loves hitting the synopsis button, okay?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is there a part of the Legilis's stat page that explains how it got built in like 2 days?

e: or how the Vagans got a part of the EXA-DB to begin with?

e2: or why they're dying of cancer despite the 'mars ray' not being a real thing, their colony being sufficiently shielded from most forms of spaceborn radiation, and their ability to bend electromagnetic radiation up to the visible spectrum? If I buy the sensor upgrade 9 does it explain why radar doesn't exist

muike fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 11, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
They're dying of cancer to make you feel sorry for them.

(It doesn't work very well.)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
So the girl that Kio meets, that has 3 months left to live and is very sick (despite not looking sick AT ALL) is still the one who serves dinner, and, presumably, makes it in her household. Her brother's an rear end in a top hat.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

muike posted:

So the girl that Kio meets, that has 3 months left to live and is very sick (despite not looking sick AT ALL) is still the one who serves dinner, and, presumably, makes it in her household. Her brother's an rear end in a top hat.

Cooking is something that the women folk do, you see

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
We need an extra touch of realism in our show. Something we don't strive for with any of our plot devices or internal logic. We'll have the terminal leukemia patient make the gruel and bread made of recycled shitfiber.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

muike posted:

Well she's too young to have kids. The writers were limited in how sexist they could be.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man if you think you're at the stupidest part of Kio's trip to Mars, you haven't seen poo poo yet.

Hint: the stupidest part happens when he leaves.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Nah I'm up to the moon assault and Girard Spriggan just showed up. Why does she have a man's name.
I do actually think the whole sick idiot Lu part was the worst thing about the Vagan colony arc because Ezelcant's retarded plan is a conventional kind of overwrought evil. Lu making dinner while having three months to live is something that's just done so casually it blows my frickin mind.

I think I've mentioned it before, but it's really the small things in AGE that belie the total incompetence and wrongheadedness of the staff. There are plenty of big things that you can point to and rightly say "wow, how dumb do you have to be to gently caress that up so badly" but it's the small things that really glue it all together. If a thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters will, given enough time, eventually write Shakespeare, AGE is the first thing those monkeys type that is actually legible and only has a few poo poo stains from the monkey hands which are used to throw poop.

muike fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 11, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

muike posted:

Nah I'm up to the moon assault and Girard Spriggan just showed up. Why does she have a man's name.

It gets explained. It's as stupid as her existence in AGE.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

muike posted:

I do actually think the whole sick idiot Lu part was the worst thing about the Vagan colony arc

THE AGE-3 CAN'T KEEP UP WITH ME!

You know, cause of all that super intense pilot training I didn't do on Mars.

I guess I could go fix the thing up and stick with it like my dad and grandp- hahahaha nope, let's just get on a brand new ugly piece of poo poo and ditch my old Gundam behind.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Let's be fair, the show's gimmick is that every challenge can be defeated with a new toy. Somehow, they manage to gently caress that up too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Boy, wait till you see how the Gundam Legilis gets taken out then.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Honestly at this point I'm just excited to get to Memory of Eden so I can see a beam saber get cut in half. And so I can force someone who is considered #1 Super AGE Fan to watch it with me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

It gets explained. It's as stupid as her existence in AGE.
I thought I heard a boy's name, but Girard looks like a girl!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Watching someone suffer through Age almost makes putting up with it for an entire loving year worth it. I still can't believe someone commited to this complete turd of a script without noticing how much it sucked for that long.

I would draw a parallel between this and Zeheart's sunken cost fallacy at the end but I've been doing those with nearly every Age post and the less I think about it the better.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

Honestly at this point I'm just excited to get to Memory of Eden so I can see a beam saber get cut in half. And so I can force someone who is considered #1 Super AGE Fan to watch it with me.

Honestly if they could make it through the worst of AGE, they won't find it bad since the OVA just ignores the worst parts of the show and completely focuses on Asemu.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He thinks Asem is the worst part of the show. I am giddy with anticipation.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To give them very very slight credit, the AGE game actually makes a little more sense than the show. They develop things not developed in the show and alter some of the plot points.(Fardain makes more sense, for example.) It's still bad tho'.

Any idea how it plays? If I find a game that provides satisfying, visceral Gundam space combat, its plot can be as dumb as it likes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Any idea how it plays? If I find a game that provides satisfying, visceral Gundam space combat, its plot can be as dumb as it likes.

Strike Suit Zero/Infinity on steam might scratch that itch if what you're after is firing shitloads of missiles and blowing up hordes of enemies and capital ships. There are no beam sabers though, if that is a deal breaker. It's also much more of an X-wing/TIE fighter kind of game than a Virtual On.

Note that Zero is the one with a campaign, while Infinity is more or less just an endless mode.

vvvv As far as I am aware, no funnels. Also most of the criticisms I read thought its main problem was being too hard. I would go with Infinity if you want to play it, personally. It's cheaper and gets you straight into what you want to be doing (blowing things up) with no pretense of story. It has a neat soundtrack and very Homeworld art direction, with some gorgeous backdrops.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 11, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Strike Suit Zero/Infinity on steam might scratch that itch if what you're after is firing shitloads of missiles and blowing up hordes of enemies and capital ships. There are no beam sabers though, if that is a deal breaker.

Note that Zero is the one with a campaign, while Infinity is more or less just an endless mode.

Really? The handful of reviews I'd seen made it out to play like rear end back when it first came out.

Beam Sabers and Shields would be nice, but perhaps not a deal breaker....Anything akin to funnels?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's Danball Senki. Like it's built on the engine but not quite as good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

The Gundam Battle series on the PSP and Vita was pretty good and I totally :spergin: about them in this post in the Super Robot game thread.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It's Danball Senki. Like it's built on the engine but not quite as good.

Much like the entirety of AGE in relation to Danball Senki?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Endorph posted:

To be fair, video games sometimes have good stories

I'll have to take your word on that, but it still seems to me that anyone who would hire video game people to write something that is not a video game deserves every single bad thing that results from that decision. I mean, I know that entertainment execs are stupid and shortsighted and unqualified to judge talent and all of that, but the whole AGE situation still plays more like parody than something that actually happened.

I don't know what the AGE guys were doing before the show and don't care to find out, but can anyone enlighten me as to how they got the gig? The more I hear about how the series played out the more boggled I am that there wasn't some serious intervention and/or mass firings along the way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, you wouldn't hire a radio drama writer to write a video game, right? Different mediums have different standards, and video games often have hours between major plot developments, or even any plot at all, with the blank space being filled by the actual 'game' portion. Once you've gotten used to writing a story around that expectation, I'd imagine it'd be hard to write a regular ol' anime, especially one that was expected to share its plot with a video game.

The dude who wrote AGE loving sucked at his job, but even a talented writer would struggle in a situation like that.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Well, yeah, which is exactly why hiring a game writer to script a serialized TV drama is beyond idiotic.

Again, AGE could have been terrific based on the concept alone, even with silliness like the AGE Device and Gunpla machine, but good writing did not factor into it at any point so I guess we'll never know.

I'm just morbidly curious as to how all these bad decisions were made, and why it was supposed that they weren't bad decisions. I'd bet there's a fascinating book to be had out of the whole debacle (one I'd also bet will never be written).

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Bimmi posted:

I don't know what the AGE guys were doing before the show and don't care to find out, but can anyone enlighten me as to how they got the gig? The more I hear about how the series played out the more boggled I am that there wasn't some serious intervention and/or mass firings along the way.

It's difficult to say anything for certain when you're talking about very opaque foreign business dealings, but I'll give it a shot. Level-5, the studio responsible for the crazy successful children's robot fighting franchise Danball Senki, were hired to make a Gundam video game and when Hino, the CEO, wrote up a plot outline for a new Gundam series (maybe with the intention of pitching it as a TV show or maybe just for the video game), the high-ups at Bandai liked it enough to use it for their next Gundam TV series. Probably so they could get a slice of that very successful Danball Senki pie.

When it's the CEO calling the shots, there's probably a reluctance to call him out when his writing gets terrible, and since Level-5 is a privately owned company there aren't many people to call Hino out anyway. Factor in the traditional Japanese loyalty-to-the-company mindset, and you've got a recipe for a very badly written series. At least someone managed to stop his original plan of 75 episodes.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
As a short aside to AGE chat, I'm gonna link this video in here again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f-L0bz56X4

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There is never a wrong time to celebrate of the Queen of Zion. Too bad she got killed off in a terrible show universe where you stay dead unless your name is Char Azanable.

edit:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 11, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know, AGE's concept of following three generations is actually really cool when you think about it. It's just a shame its actual execution is a loving tragedy.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Guys I have it they never intended Age to be good, they wanted to unite a fragmented fanbase and give it a common enemy they could all hate. Now it doesn't matter which Gundam show you think is the best, we can all agree that Age is the worst.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

TK-31 posted:

Guys I have it they never intended Age to be good, they wanted to unite a fragmented fanbase and give it a common enemy they could all hate. Now it doesn't matter which Gundam show you think is the best, we can all agree that Age is the worst.

But we already had that, it was gundam seed destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TK-31 posted:

They united us all to prepares us for the Gundams to come :allears:.

• Locked thread