Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

sebmojo posted:

I liked it. The super-devout novice assassin sacrificing a goat in the dorm room was hilarious.

I do think assassins that never actually kill anyone is a cop out though.

I could so watch a series made about life at the Assassin Guild school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebmojo posted:

I liked it. The super-devout novice assassin sacrificing a goat in the dorm room was hilarious.

It's more everyone taking the piss out of him because he says his prayers. There's a lot of Tom Brown's Schooldays in that section.

Assassins do kill people, but as is pointed out most wealthy people send their sons there for the quality of the non-lethal education. It's thus quite hilarious that most student assassins die in the course of training that is completely irrelevant to them.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

Jedit posted:

It's more everyone taking the piss out of him because he says his prayers. There's a lot of Tom Brown's Schooldays in that section.

Assassins do kill people, but as is pointed out most wealthy people send their sons there for the quality of the non-lethal education. It's thus quite hilarious that most student assassins die in the course of training that is completely irrelevant to them.

Having said its his worst standalone book, you guys are making it sound better than I remember (and it has been may years since I read it); I might have to pick it up again and give it another go

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Jedit posted:

I'd always assumed that children sent to the Assassin's guild purely for the quality of the education didn't participate in the assassin training, but I guess that doesn't make much sense. Still, there must be a certain amount of cachet for an aristocrat to have an heir who can read ancient Ephebian and knows whether it's polite to use the fish knife or the dessert fork to inhume a man at dinner.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Plus, if you're rich and powerful enough, at some point somebody is probably going to pay an assassin to kill you, so knowing their tricks is useful.

And it does solve the too many spare heirs problem if some of them aren't very bright.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Fideles posted:

Having said its his worst standalone book, you guys are making it sound better than I remember (and it has been may years since I read it); I might have to pick it up again and give it another go
Having read it for the first time 5-6 months ago I can safely say it's pretty decent. Certainly a dip in quality but by no means bad.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

Feeble posted:

Having read it for the first time 5-6 months ago I can safely say it's pretty decent. Certainly a dip in quality but by no means bad.

I have downloaded onto my kindle now so I will read it again this week and see if I find it any better this time around

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I loving love Pyramids and have always been confused by people who don't. It strikes me that I own a pretty random assortment of Discworld books and I don't think I've ever read any two in the right order, maybe that'll be the reading challenge for next year to go through the series start to finish.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

Corrode posted:

I loving love Pyramids and have always been confused by people who don't. It strikes me that I own a pretty random assortment of Discworld books and I don't think I've ever read any two in the right order, maybe that'll be the reading challenge for next year to go through the series start to finish.

I am halfway through Pyramids and I may be forced to admit I was wrong. Still not his best work but it is funnier than I remember

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

In case anyone else is interested, The Long Earth is currently $1.99 this month on the US kindle store. I had been going back and forth about buying this book, but decided to jump in at that price.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013
I have now finished Pyramids and I was definitely wrong, there are some truly classic Pratchett moments in there. You Bastard is definitely the best character in the book.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

If Pyramids has any faults it's that the best sequence is right at the start, but there are many other highlights.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arbite posted:

If Pyramids has any faults it's that the best sequence is right at the start, but there are many other highlights.

The start's cool, but the bit where the dead pharaohs start waking up is great too.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, I'm a pilot in training. Recently, in class, we were going over theory of flight, and the topic turned to jet engines and how they operate on a venturi principal. Now, see, I knew what a Selachii is from way back in the days I was obsessed with being a marine biologist(Ah the dreams of children), so I may have lost composure when I finally got the joke.

BTW, it's incredibly hard to explain the joke to a group of trainee pilots who are 8 years younger than you....

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I'm a pilot in training. Recently, in class, we were going over theory of flight, and the topic turned to jet engines and how they operate on a venturi principal. Now, see, I knew what a Selachii is from way back in the days I was obsessed with being a marine biologist(Ah the dreams of children), so I may have lost composure when I finally got the joke.

BTW, it's incredibly hard to explain the joke to a group of trainee pilots who are 8 years younger than you....

I remember my "oh, wow" moment with that.

I used to race sailboats and one of the ways of getting water out uses the venturi principle and is referred to as the "venturi", and being a nerdy kid I looked that poo poo up and hey, it's used in jet planes too, loving awesome!

I didn't get the joke until I was about 20 when I was drunk and bored and watching some show about sea craetures with friends, and then I laughed and laughed. How do you even start to explain why? "So there's this fantasy series and there's these two families..." and pretty much anyone has stopped listening by that point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

There's also an opera singer mentioned in Maskerade named Dame Tessituri. Tessituri is the Italian word for "texture", and in opera it's used to refer to the quality of a singer's voice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

AlphaDog posted:

I remember my "oh, wow" moment with that.

I used to race sailboats and one of the ways of getting water out uses the venturi principle and is referred to as the "venturi", and being a nerdy kid I looked that poo poo up and hey, it's used in jet planes too, loving awesome!

I didn't get the joke until I was about 20 when I was drunk and bored and watching some show about sea craetures with friends, and then I laughed and laughed. How do you even start to explain why? "So there's this fantasy series and there's these two families..." and pretty much anyone has stopped listening by that point.

TRy explaining West Side Story

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

TRy explaining West Side Story

Ow...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I like Pyramids except when Ptraci is around. The first third (assassins) and the last third (mummies) are awesome, but the middle part has waaaaaay to much Ptraci.

You Bastard is loving awesome, though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2013/10/announcing-the-discworld-collectors-library/

New hardcover editions (with new art) for UK. They look awesome!

edit: None past Jingo though, Gollancz only has the rights to the first 21 books.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 10, 2013

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Hedrigall posted:

http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2013/10/announcing-the-discworld-collectors-library/

New hardcover editions (with new art) for UK. They look awesome!

edit: None past Jingo though, Gollancz only has the rights to the first 21 books.

"The contract is for the UK and Commonwealth (excluding Canada)."

Well that's just not nice UK :canada:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Interesting cover art.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I prefer the Kidby art.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jesus, it's the Mondo posters of literature. I'm glad I own those books already, so won't feel tempted.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Oh my those are tempting.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

John Dough posted:

Oh my those are tempting.

I don't really find them all that tempting. I definitely prefer the Kidby covers. Maybe it's nostalgia though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd find it more tempting if they had the rights to do all 40 books :(

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I want the Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters ones as posters.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Looks like there may be hope after all

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A good day for humanity really, I hope Terry knows and is feeling a lot better ;).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'd love a poster of all four Death covers. Soul Music and Hogfather, especially.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Science of Discworld 4 REALLY does not feel like he wrote it. The dialogue feels forced and the characterizations feel...also forced, as if it's fanfic. No, not fanfic, because fanfic already assumes one knows the characters. It's written as if it feels the need to remind people of the characters they're talking about...like a ghostwriter or something hastily thrown together based upon Pratchett notes. It wasn't funny and the librarian felt like a self-insert. And the actual PLOT was just boring, the fundamentalist religious types were barely there enough to be strawmen, much less a credible threat.

:( I wanted to like it, too.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 16, 2013

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Did it feature the sentence ' "Ook" sighed the librarian as he unsheathed his katana...'?

I reread Small Gods this week, and I think its probably his best book. My favourite discworld books are the one-shots like this or Pyramids or Thief of Time where it feels like he either has a point or is letting his imagination lead it, rather than shoe-horning in another "Nobby Nobbs does not much resemble a human" joke.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Did it feature the sentence ' "Ook" sighed the librarian as he unsheathed his katana...'?

In some ways, yes...

Also, it has lots of footnotes, but they're not...Pratchett footnotes. They're not funny, they're actually footnotes. As in [Rincewind remembered this event in small gods]*

*See Small gods

That's a little detail that is actually pretty telling. Instead of using the footnotes for the usual extra jokes, they're flat out just boring footnotes.

Either someone convinced Pratchett that he needed to remind his readers of his own references, or...well, I'm not sure there is an or, other than the possibility that he really had to phone it in without any attempts at humor. "Add footnote to bottom, "see Small gods".

Or it could lend credence to the theory that it's someone trying to EMULATE Pratchett's style but not quite grasping it, such as what the footnotes are ACTUALLY for: jokes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

In some ways, yes...

Also, it has lots of footnotes, but they're not...Pratchett footnotes. They're not funny, they're actually footnotes. As in [Rincewind remembered this event in small gods]*

*See Small gods

That's a little detail that is actually pretty telling. Instead of using the footnotes for the usual extra jokes, they're flat out just boring footnotes.

Either someone convinced Pratchett that he needed to remind his readers of his own references, or...well, I'm not sure there is an or, other than the possibility that he really had to phone it in without any attempts at humor. "Add footnote to bottom, "see Small gods".

Or it could lend credence to the theory that it's someone trying to EMULATE Pratchett's style but not quite grasping it, such as what the footnotes are ACTUALLY for: jokes.

Or that he's using real footnotes on this one because it's a Science book, like he did in the previous three SOD books that were all written before his diagnosis.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013
I left my copy of Guards Guards on a train today. Later on in the day I walked into a tree. Overall a bad day.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedit posted:

Or that he's using real footnotes on this one because it's a Science book, like he did in the previous three SOD books that were all written before his diagnosis.

There were lots of footnotes in SOD1 that were humorous and not just "see book x."

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Mister Roboto posted:

There were lots of footnotes in SOD1 that were humorous and not just "see book x."

I liked the idea of SOD, but struggled to get along with them; felt like there was a lot of pushing the whole humanist agenda throughout, though maybe I'm being unkind. I'm an atheist-leaning-humanist, but I think Dawkins is a oval office so perhaps that's just where me and Terry disagree.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Finding out Pratchett thinks highly of Dawkins would be the second most depressing thing I've ever heard about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shelvocke posted:

I liked the idea of SOD, but struggled to get along with them; felt like there was a lot of pushing the whole humanist agenda throughout, though maybe I'm being unkind. I'm an atheist-leaning-humanist, but I think Dawkins is a oval office so perhaps that's just where me and Terry disagree.

Just out of curiosity, where do you live? There's some cases where the standard accepted way things are in Britain would be pushing the atheist/humanist agenda in America.