Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jines posted:

Just won my first-ever game of Dominions, this game is loving amazing. And frustrating. I watched four successively larger armies (topping out around 850 heavy infantry with 15-20 mages) get completely wiped out by the enemy's pretender in his capital, a statue of war with mistform, fire shield, deflection, fear, and a bunch of other ridiculous poo poo. I ended up going for the thrones instead, which worked a hell of a lot better. I'm not even sure what I'd have done otherwise - what the hell do you do with a god that can kill an army that size without going below 50% health?
If you can't avoid the fight entirely, Massive Air Evocation is a pretty solid answer to the problem of stuff not being dead. You basically can't get enough Shock Resistance in Dom 4 to overcome Thunder Strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Wasn't Mrs. Butterworth the LP where after a few turns he realized 75% of the players had gone AI?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
35 minutes ago, version 4.01 of Dominions 4 hit Desura

quote:

GAME
'?' for nation overview
'd' for details on nation overview
AI fixes for Ermor
Added tutorial
All sprites should look ok now
Could not right click on items in bottom of magic item treasury
Event and site fixes
Lost arm could sometime be unhealable
Network crashed with team numbers over 9
New sprites for Ether Warriors
Sceptre of Authority got Combustion instead
Stat fixes
Typos fixed
Utterdark reduced resources in caves and deep seas too
MODDING
Fixed bug with random fire spells when using mods
Modded magic items could not be forged
Modding: Gems for sites broke in previous version, fixed now
New nation mod commands: #tradecoast, #godrebirth, #aiholdgod, #aiawake
New unit & item mod commands: #giftofwater, #waterbreathing, #voidsanity,

Edit: The manual is currently only available from Illwinter's main page at the moment. I'll edit in some links in a bit, but it is divided into separate parts right now.
http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/

quote:

Manuals

There is one main manual that contains the tutorial and explains how the game works. There are also five reference manuals that contains all the spells and magic items in the game, all in an easy to print format. Lastly there are also two manuals for those who want to create their own maps or mods, you won't need them if you are new to Dominions.
Main Manual
Global Spells Manual
Summoning Spells Manual
Ritual Spells Manual
Battlefield Spells Manual
Magic Items Manual

Quick Reference Guide (list of keyboard shortcuts)

Modding Manual (4.0)
Mapmaking Manual (4.0)

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 9, 2013

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Still no reintroduction of #startfort or site fort supremacy :negative:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Desura isn't letting me download the patch :argh:

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

http://jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

EDIT: Oh wait, 2 or 3 posts up. Well, there's some interesting stuff in the manual, definitely worth checking out. This unreleased Trade & Taint game sounds kinda interesting.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 10, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I just had a guy with Awe 5, Fear 5 & protection 18 die to unbuffed militia, light infantry and archers.

What am I not understanding here?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goatface posted:

I just had a guy with Awe 5, Fear 5 & protection 18 die to unbuffed militia, light infantry and archers.

My money is on fatigue.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

goatface posted:

The power of dreams.

Alternatively, some really lucky arrow headshots?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

builds character posted:

My money is on fatigue.

I'm thinking lucky shot by the archers. That much fear would probably have militia running before fatigue could bring him down.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Did he have a shield?

Awe only works in melee, an arrow probably hit him in the eye or something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

goatface posted:

Low hp and some lucky DRN rolls? Something like 6.5% of all arrows will do at least one point of damage to 18 protection assuming no other mitigating factors, as well as 16.7% of all generic spear attacks that get past the awe.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
The desura link for the installer is a 404 :|

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

goatface posted:

Anyone have the old "999 dmg I want to believe" RNG pic on hand?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

The desura client will probably work.

I have to say, I'm not half as impressed with the current manual as I was with the Dom3 manual. The nation overview in particular is lacking, and the item descriptions are a bit meh.

It does explain the mechanics, but I do miss the more detailed overview/starter strategies. I suppose the wiki might step up.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Pierzak posted:

Anyone have the old "999 dmg I want to believe" RNG pic on hand?

(It's in the OP)

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Do they still use that weird RNG implementation in Dominions 4?
That always struck me as being a really weird choice.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

What's the most common age for newbie games? I'll probably sign up for the next one that pops up in the GGS, and it'd be nice to narrow down the number of nations I need to immediately learn about.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

All of them.

Maerlande
Apr 28, 2010

tooterfish posted:

Maerland does a lets play with EA R'lyeh in D3

His strategy centres around using polypal mothers to freespawn aboleths gibothingys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thnjw6zbecE

And also lulling people with that hypnotic voice. The guy should read children's audiobooks for a living.

Hey man! I never said it's a good strat! It just works.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Microcline posted:

What's the most common age for newbie games? I'll probably sign up for the next one that pops up in the GGS, and it'd be nice to narrow down the number of nations I need to immediately learn about.

All of them pretty much have everything in them, just in different quantities. Though I suggest EA myself because MA and LA both have dompopkill factions like Ermor, R'lyeh and C'tis. Those are much harder and different to beat than normal, so I would leave out learning them until you know more about the game.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Woah, downloading this now, I was absolutely addicted to Dom 3 quite a few years ago...kind sparked an interest in some cool Norse Mythology stuff (hence my name I use in most online games).

I had no idea that this was even in development....I remember reading on the shrapnel forums in roughly 2008 that the 2 designers of DOM 3 were kinda busy and not that interested in making a sequel. Glad that times changed and pretty keen to try some of the new mechanics.

I can still remember some of the epic multiplayer games I played .... Probably my finest was pulling off a win as Mid Marignon against all 3 Pangaea's allied against me....endless waves of Maenads : ).

Once I've played around with it a bit I'll sign up for a game with some goons.

Neif fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 11, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Why do in game descriptions of items and spells have less details than the manual?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
The direct download link from Desura's website now works. Please update your game to 4.01.

:siren: THE DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK NOW WORKS. GO UPDATE YOU FUCKERS. :siren:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Do you mean the exact opposite, diogines?

Burning Pearl, F1, FR5

No mention of attack boost.

All you really need to know about the lighted lantern is that it is tainted.

That said, they're aware of the issues with the ritual/summon/item section of the manual, that will be revised. A few other sections will likely see updates.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Now that the full game's out, I think I'm game to try multiplayer. What setup are goons using for PBEM most frequently right now?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
We go to http://www.brainwrinkle.net and sign up for games.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
We use network games, not PBEM. See this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498140

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Speleothing posted:

We go to http://www.brainwrinkle.net and sign up for games.

Where can I find my order number if I bought it from Desura?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I tried signing up on brainwrinkle. They asked me for a "Matryx link", but I wasn't sure what that was and I left it blank. Was that the order number? Do I just wait for an email now? Also, like Tuxedo Catfish says, what do I need to copy from Desura to prove I'm legit?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Well, it looks like I'm activated. I'll probably take a bit of time to make sure I know how things work, since I'm not sure I'll have a stable connection next week.

In other news, anyone have tips for fighting EA T'ien Ch'i with C'Tis? They're using Warriors of the 5 Elements with a major water bless, and they can cut through my starting expansion parties pretty easily. Will heavy infantry be able to stand up to their shortswords? My pretender is a dormant red dragon, hasn't woken up yet.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Everything will get chewed to poo poo by W9 warriors, including your "heavy" infantry and your dragon. You want indep archers, preferably tribal like Lion Tribe. It's also possible to fatigue them pretty hard using skeleton spam, since W9 means they accumulate fatigue 1.5x as fast.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, archers would do pretty well since 5Es don't have much armor, so long as you make sure to have a decently sized forced of blockers in front of them as a speed bump.

Any reason why you made your dragon dormant? Its one of the best early supercombatant pretenders, made to be able to take provinces alone in the first year without extra gear. Making it dormant defeats that purpose.

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Where can I find my order number if I bought it from Desura?

EDITED to remove instructions that were well in excess of what is required.

Schneeble fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 12, 2013

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
You can just put a link to your Desura profile showing that you bought the game too!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's really quite flexible, since Brainwrinkle manually activates each account.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
I e-mailed him a screenshot of my purchase receipt

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
I guess im supposed to post here for the signup thing for the multiplayer, thing. Im real.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Slaan posted:

Any reason why you made your dragon dormant? Its one of the best early supercombatant pretenders, made to be able to take provinces alone in the first year without extra gear. Making it dormant defeats that purpose.

We started the game to teach another player about SCs. I was gonna bust out mine after he had about a year of rampaging, and then he'd have to figure out a way to counter it. If I had the research, I was going to send the player a ring of regeneration as a suggestion.

Unfortunately, he seems to have messed his initial expansion pretty bad, and the player who didn't handicap himself is rolling all over the map. It's kind of funny, but I need to slow him down if I want a shot at winning this. So I put pressure on his cap and raid with my dragon when it comes out.

I've parked a little army in a swamp 2 provinces from his cap in the hopes that environmental penalties will give me a slightly easier time. I had 2 sauromancers out sitesearching, so they're gonna try and catch up to provide support magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Just curious. What mages did you recruit for what purpose for EA C'tis? I haven't really played them outside of single player. I know that Sauromancers being StR is a big deal though.

• Locked thread