Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah but so can any number of things. Being the most broken FF6 character is like being the fattest Tea Party member. Congrats! You're pointlessly bloated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I wasn't joking. Every time I played through FF6 I shelved Gau immediately and dreaded the part where you meet him. I hate any character whose sole gimmick is Blue Magic. I also dislike Quina in FF9

I would understand if you zeroed on Sabin as the best since he's super-easy to use and doesn't fall off until you start getting the really broken endgame stuff, but... Cyan? Really? Even as a kid I could tell he was terrible.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I absolutely adore FFVI even though I am not a big fan of other games in the series. I cannot wait to play this, even with the knowledge that it'll look like a crummy Flash game at best.

I only hope this does not mean the rumored 3DS 3-d version would then be cancelled.

What are the odds of this getting released in the Vita, PS3, 3DS, or WiiU store?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

He has his moment right around the floating continent when you get that sword that casts windslash every other swing. It's easy to keep thinking he's decent when you have that to look back on.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Makes it all the more funny because Gau is actually better at using it than him.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Makes it all the more funny because Gau is actually better at using it than him.

In exactly one version of the game. Gau can't use the Merit Award in any of the ports.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You don't have to hit diagonals for the blitz attacks. For the circle one you can hit RRDDLLUU and it will always come out.

I know, I do that with the Dpad, but I really don't think it's going to help all that much when you're still forced to use a touchscreen for the input.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My final go-to party was always Sabin, Cyan, Terra and Mog, and Cyan was always my most powerful :smith:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Defiance Industries posted:

I would understand if you zeroed on Sabin as the best since he's super-easy to use and doesn't fall off until you start getting the really broken endgame stuff, but... Cyan? Really? Even as a kid I could tell he was terrible.

I didn't say Cyan was the best. I just found Gau to be an insufferable comic relief. Different strokes. My favorite party was whichever one had Sabin and Edgar in it. 6 had a lot of badass characters, the only ones I flat out never used were Mog and Gau

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 10, 2013

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Cyan is the worst character in FF6 because he is the only character for whom the opportunity cost of his unique skill is "no one else gets to do anything"

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's more likely the project was just quietly canned some time ago. I get the narrative you're interested in but there actually isn't anything backing this one up. It was (barely) announced at E3 2010 as part of the initial leadup to the 3DS's launch (along with games that never materialized like Persona 3DS) and nobody said anything about it since. I doubt we'll see anything from the game at all. I even asked about it at E3 in 2011 and they implied without directly stating that it wasn't coming out.

Yeah, it was one of the 3DS games, such as Assassin's Creed (went on to be Revelations) and Saint's Row (cancelled), that were just there to build buzz and show support. I think a bunch of different factors, especially FFXIV's relaunch, affected its development. Many of the names in their handheld departments went to fix up that MMO.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I absolutely adore FFVI even though I am not a big fan of other games in the series. I cannot wait to play this, even with the knowledge that it'll look like a crummy Flash game at best.

I only hope this does not mean the rumored 3DS 3-d version would then be cancelled.

What are the odds of this getting released in the Vita, PS3, 3DS, or WiiU store?

Theoretically, the tools are there to help port their games, especially for Playstation systems. However, you can play other versions of the mainline FF games on those systems. I think they released nearly a dozen different versions of FFIV between all those systems.

I don't think we'll see a fully 3D remake on the 3DS either. They've made a lot of money off smaller, less expensive 2D updates. You can check sale rank databases, such as Annie App (free registration required), to see that they've had very consistent sales. Getting a high rank on even the Kids chart is a pretty big deal.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Cyan is cool if you save that one sword that casts Wind Slash and then give him the Offering and Genji Glove, then he hits 8 times and does Wind Slash maybe 2 or 3 times. His ability sucks though and the only time it's not as insufferable is when you set ATB to wait (but it still sucks because it slows the game down). I hope whoever does the port just makes it an MP driven ability.

Also I have beaten FF6 about 10 times over the course of my life and I have never seen a limit break attack.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

1st AD posted:

Also I have beaten FF6 about 10 times over the course of my life and I have never seen a limit break attack.
I had to try to see a limit break, but this basically means you don't suck at the game.

Funnily enough, those "FF6 LIMIT BREAK COMPILATION" videos aren't even complete since they only show World of Ruin skills. I've gotten some low-level limit breaks in the WoB and they are absolutely not the ones shown in the WoR videos, so it might even be related to your level and your equipment.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I had to try to see a limit break, but this basically means you don't suck at the game.

Funnily enough, those "FF6 LIMIT BREAK COMPILATION" videos aren't even complete since they only show World of Ruin skills. I've gotten some low-level limit breaks in the WoB and they are absolutely not the ones shown in the WoR videos, so it might even be related to your level and your equipment.

It also doesn't help that the only characters in FF6 who really have a use for the Attack command are Locke and Setzer thanks to having nothing really better to do innately and having broken weapon setups that ignore usual Genji Glove/Offering penalties. Nobody else ever has an excuse to be hitting that top option in the combat menu because they got something better to do. (Or if they're cool dudes with pointy spears, have turned it into Jump instead.) I think those two have the only limits I've ever seen, simply because even thirteen year old me figured out right quick there's no reason for even guys who are theoretically good at mashing attack like Sabin and Cyan to ever do so when I can just Aura Bolt/Dispatch instead.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

I've never heard of this. Do you have any names for the attacks or anything?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I've never heard of this. Do you have any names for the attacks or anything?
I can't even remember it, all I know is that I was loving around with 15x emulator speed so my party was in bad enough shape that it triggered a Limit. Mog's is supposed to be that Moogle stampede thing and all he did was a named single-target attack that did four digit damage.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

1st AD posted:

Cyan is cool if you save that one sword that casts Wind Slash and then give him the Offering and Genji Glove, then he hits 8 times and does Wind Slash maybe 2 or 3 times. His ability sucks though and the only time it's not as insufferable is when you set ATB to wait (but it still sucks because it slows the game down). I hope whoever does the port just makes it an MP driven ability.

I think it's a 1/16 chance of activating in a near death state. It's probably not unusual to go through the game without ever having seen one. There isn't anything like FFVIII's Hero medicine to force it out. My very first Limit Break/Desperation Attack was Relm casting Death on a target who was immune to death.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I liked Cyan once I figured out the psycho Cyan glitch, it's probably the only way to make him useful. Of course you couldn't do jack poo poo until everything on the screen was dead, and he was only using physical attacks so it took a bit but it was fun to watch the game play itself for a bit. Took a bit of work to set up, and really it was only good for using against poo poo you were too lazy to kill by hitting buttons.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

The White Dragon posted:

I can't even remember it, all I know is that I was loving around with 15x emulator speed so my party was in bad enough shape that it triggered a Limit. Mog's is supposed to be that Moogle stampede thing and all he did was a named single-target attack that did four digit damage.

Moogle Rush is just Punch Rush done by a Moogle. Each character only has one Desperation Attack; the people who tear the code apart to write algorithm guides have confirmed it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dross posted:

Nonsense, I can't wait to see which character is Sol. I bet it's Sabin.

You seem to be under the assumption they'll only use each FFD character once per FF6 character. Sol will be both Sabin AND Edgar. Relm will probably be Alba. :gonk:

The only way things would get worse would be if the FFD guys teamed up with DQ9's translators, turning FF6 in to an eye-bleeding mashup where everything is a terrible pun. All I know is that if Sabin cannot suplex the Ghost Train Square Enix is dead to me forever. I'm glad I have the SNES emulator on my iPad in case I'd ever want to play FF6 on mobile instead of my SNES though. I'd be lying if I said I was surprised by what FF6 iOS is going to be. :smith:

Also the best combat in FF6 was always having Mog and Gogo using two different dances, constantly flipping the battlefield back and forth between the two of them while Edgar chainsawed poo poo and Umaro just smashed people in the face. Also if you replaced Edgar with Cyan and went Cyan/Mog/Gogo/Umaro he was kinda almost usable. Or you use Gau instead and just run the full-auto murder squad of Gau/Umaro/Mog/Gogo. :black101:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Uh even if the guys behind the DQ9 translation redid FF6's, they wouldn't do that because that sort of goofy thing wouldn't fit with the game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Dr Pepper posted:

Uh even if the guys behind the DQ9 translation redid FF6's, they wouldn't do that because that sort of goofy thing wouldn't fit with the game.

"Run, run, or you'll be well-done!"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sunning posted:

I think it's a 1/16 chance of activating in a near death state. It's probably not unusual to go through the game without ever having seen one. There isn't anything like FFVIII's Hero medicine to force it out. My very first Limit Break/Desperation Attack was Relm casting Death on a target who was immune to death.
Also the battle has to have lasted for at least 17 seconds. Or maybe it's 16 seconds. And no, I swear I'm not making this up.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr Pepper posted:

It didn't fit in to DQ9 either. :v:

They would absolutely turn Kefka in to some horrific Monthy Python nightmare.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also the battle has to have lasted for at least 17 seconds. Or maybe it's 16 seconds. And no, I swear I'm not making this up.

Well theres the problem. I'm always trying to keep battles under 16 seconds.

But seriously, the limitations are basically must be in protracted battle, heavily wounded, and even then its 1/16th chance? No wonder I never saw one of these things like so many other people.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest 9's translation was done by experts and it was exactly what it needed to be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wild Arms 2's translation was done by experts too. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragon Quest is a goofy-rear end series where all the spells are named after onomatopoeia and puns are frequent and common. The translations fit just fine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

Wild Arms 2's translation was done by experts too. :v:

This sentence translated by the Wild Arms 2 team.

Nathander
Apr 23, 2008
I'd always thought even in Japan that DQ tended to be a really light hearted series with occasionally bleak moments, so I've never really understood the backlash for DQ IX and the DS remakes translations. I mean am I totally off base and there's something I'm missing here?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not really the goofiness that bugs some people, it's how they're goofy. Admittedly I'm no Dragon Quest expert but I remember seeing a video from the opening of one of the DS games and every character had such a thickly written cockney accent that it was almost impossible to read. I could see why people would dislike that. It was like Yangus in DQ8 but without the voice acting.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nathander posted:

I'd always thought even in Japan that DQ tended to be a really light hearted series with occasionally bleak moments, so I've never really understood the backlash for DQ IX and the DS remakes translations. I mean am I totally off base and there's something I'm missing here?

They lay it on a little thick sometimes, that's all. Also the first round of games translated over here and their remakes had a much more generic translation that ditched most of the onomatopoeia and puns and I'd imagine some people got used to that

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Anything's better than ye olde NES Dragon Warrior translations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest 9's translation was done by experts and it was exactly what it needed to be.
The Zere pun was absolutely loving incredible. I was like "why is this town named Zere? I don't get it!" and then ten hours later Zere Rocks and I almost threw my DS across the room.

Also, it's shameful to admit it, but I didn't figure out why the abbot was named Jack until they had the dialogue box explicitly attributed to Jack of Alltrades.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Zere pun was absolutely loving incredible. I was like "why is this town named Zere? I don't get it!" and then ten hours later Zere Rocks and I almost threw my DS across the room.

I didn't get that pun until right now.

Urgh.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Dragon Quest is a goofy-rear end series where all the spells are named after onomatopoeia and puns are frequent and common. The translations fit just fine.

I've never played a DQ game but I watched my roommate playing one of the recent ones, and I saw that one dude had a skill called Axes of Evil, and from that I knew it was a pretty cool game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also, it's shameful to admit it, but I didn't figure out why the abbot was named Jack until they had the dialogue box explicitly attributed to Jack of Alltrades.

Let's not forget Coffinwell, where everyone has the plague. And it's run by Mayor Laria.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I've never played a DQ game but I watched my roommate playing one of the recent ones, and I saw that one dude had a skill called Axes of Evil, and from that I knew it was a pretty cool game.
That was DQ8, and some of the puns in that were pretty incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

That was DQ8, and some of the puns in that were pretty incredible.

8 is the only DQ I've played. I loved it, puns and all.