Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I used to like Charlie the most. Now not so much, as I wonder occasionally if his character has been watered down somewhat as he is the most likeable, which influences the script somewhat. This episode ties in somewhat with last series 'The Gang Gets Analyzed', where I felt like he lost his edge a bit. But this episode redeemed him for me. He gives less a poo poo about the people around him than Frank. Everything is a cartoon. If the end justifies the means, his whole relationship with The Waitress is just a way to outlive her and live out a Pixar adventure. In some ways it's a lot more colder than Dennis' fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Charlie's version just being a mishmash of pixar movies was amazing.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The most fantastical part of this episode? You can't buy beer at gas stations in Pennsylvania, especially not at a little independent place like in the show.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, thanks for ruining my immersion you JERK

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
see you in hell, boners

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PA is all kinds of weird. You can only buy cases and kegs of beer at beer distributors. You can only buy wine and liquor at state owned stores. There are other odd places that you have to find if you want to buy 6-packs and 40's. I suppose a gas station could sell beers if it was specifically licensed to do so.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Charlie's fantasy reminds me of the Meet the Pyro video. He's just that detached from reality. I have no doubts that if we could see through his eyes all the time, it'd be animated and that's just how he sees the world.

And it is glorious.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
Dennis' reaction to the end of his own fantasy made me choke on my drink. "Huh? That's where I went with it? Well, OK, could be worse I guess."

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?
Cool off bozo.

New episode is great, I'm loving some of the character throwbacks this season. Oh Jackie Denardo, it's true they are so much more spectacular in person.

I'm still waiting to see how our boy cricks is doing :allears:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

FogHelmut posted:

PA is all kinds of weird. You can only buy cases and kegs of beer at beer distributors. You can only buy wine and liquor at state owned stores. There are other odd places that you have to find if you want to buy 6-packs and 40's. I suppose a gas station could sell beers if it was specifically licensed to do so.
There's also limits on how much you can buy at one time, so if you're having a big enough party you may have to buy a fraction of your order, take it outside, put it on the stoop, come back in, buy another part, take that outside, and repeat until you've bought it all.

PA liquor laws: really weird.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Just wanted to point out that Dee dies in Mac's dream because Dennis shoves her into the ninja's path.

FogHelmut posted:

Technically, only restaurants can be licensed to sell six-packs in PA. Some gas stations, like Sheetz, can get away with it because they have large dining areas and deep pockets.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

FXX is still a really ridiculously awkward sounding name and I can't help but shake my head when I hear the narrator say it during promos for the shows. Really don't understand why they didn't just go the FX2 route. This one sounds really stupid.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Irish Joe posted:

Just wanted to point out that Dee dies in Mac's dream because Dennis shoves her into the ninja's path.

Technically, only restaurants can be licensed to sell six-packs in PA. Some gas stations, like Sheetz, can get away with it because they have large dining areas and deep pockets.

None of the Sheetz around me have the licenses yet.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Mr. Carlisle posted:

FXX is still a really ridiculously awkward sounding name and I can't help but shake my head when I hear the narrator say it during promos for the shows. Really don't understand why they didn't just go the FX2 route. This one sounds really stupid.

Probably because there's a movie series by those names (FX & FX2).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Aatrek posted:

see you in hell, boners
Way to ruin it, jabroni.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Aatrek posted:

The most fantastical part of this episode? You can't buy beer at gas stations in Pennsylvania, especially not at a little independent place like in the show.

Hahaha, and I thought our liquor laws here in Utah were draconian. Eat poo poo, people from other places!

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.

Aatrek posted:

There's also that episode where Charlie is siphoning box wine into spaghetti jars in the grocery store. Some grocery stores did sell wine for about 5 minutes here in Pittsburgh but that was nixed pretty quickly, and you could only buy from this weird automated kiosk that had a little thing you had to breathe into to prove you weren't intoxicated. Totally unrealistic :colbert:

Although technically since that place sold hot dogs they could have had a liquor license. There's a six-pack shop near me that is ostensibly a "restaurant" because they have a little roller thing of hot dogs and a couple plastic lawn chairs for seating. Pennsylvania!

squeegee fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 12, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

squeegee posted:

you could only buy from this weird automated kiosk that had a little thing you had to breathe into to prove you weren't intoxicated. Totally unrealistic

Those "automated" kiosks were actually manned by good union folk down in Harrisburg. :911:

I always scoff at the top shelf liquors they have behind the bar. A real bar of Paddy's type would be serving poo poo like Windsor Canadian, Tortilla Silver and Dekuyper Schnapps, not the $50-100/bottle stuff they have on their shelves.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
What the gently caress. Here in SoCal, some places ONLY have a beer and wine license, so they don't stick hard liquor, and I thought this inconvenience was the height of cruelty. Now I have to go down to 7-11 to grab a bottle of Ketel and a 24 pack of Shock Top? This is how you know there's no god.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Double posting? This is how you know there's no god.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Those "automated" kiosks were actually manned by good union folk down in Harrisburg. :911:

I always scoff at the top shelf liquors they have behind the bar. A real bar of Paddy's type would be serving poo poo like Windsor Canadian, Tortilla Silver and Dekuyper Schnapps, not the $50-100/bottle stuff they have on their shelves.

I'm sure that's mostly stuff they drink themselves and not anything they actually sell.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Aatrek posted:

Which lends further support to the claim that The Gang is actually all dead and the show is really just a modern spin on No Exit with more cursing and drunkenness. Too bad they're all too self-absorbed to realize that they are in Hell.

Theorycrafting!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Advice posted:

What the gently caress. Here in SoCal, some places ONLY have a beer and wine license, so they don't stick hard liquor, and I thought this inconvenience was the height of cruelty. Now I have to go down to 7-11 to grab a bottle of Ketel and a 24 pack of Shock Top? This is how you know there's no god.

Pfft, that's what you get for wanting to drink hard liquor and Shock Top of all things. :smugdog:

But seriously, you guys should count yourself lucky you can by alcohol in gas stations/convenience stores at all. Up here in Western Canada that's not even an option. I know it is in Quebec, and probably Ontario, but no such luck once you hit the prairies. Once while taking a trip to Seattle, a couple friends and I spent an hour walking around trying to find a liquor store; google was no help since liquor stores don't seem to be all that common down there, and it took us a long time to remember we could just buy beer at the gas station across the street from our hotel.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I loving love that they all just steal and run out the front door at the end :allears:

FoglyOgly
Sep 23, 2009

ShadyNasty posted:

The best part is, we still have four episodes including "Flowers for Charlie"

Please, please tell me this is like Flowers for Algernon but with Charlie. If it's anything else I really don't even want to see it. I don't even see how it could be anything else. I didn't even know I needed such a thing in my life until I read the title.

Toadstool
Feb 20, 2003

Hubris, overweening pride.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I loving love that they all just steal and run out the front door at the end :allears:

It looked like the only thing Frank took were two bags of marshmallows though. He didn't even run back to get a couple of those tasty dogs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

justcola posted:

I used to like Charlie the most. Now not so much, as I wonder occasionally if his character has been watered down somewhat as he is the most likeable, which influences the script somewhat. This episode ties in somewhat with last series 'The Gang Gets Analyzed', where I felt like he lost his edge a bit. But this episode redeemed him for me. He gives less a poo poo about the people around him than Frank. Everything is a cartoon. If the end justifies the means, his whole relationship with The Waitress is just a way to outlive her and live out a Pixar adventure. In some ways it's a lot more colder than Dennis' fantasy.

Charlie is still the most lovable, he's always been. Rewatch Charlie Kelly - King of Rats if you are in doubt. His poo poo is heavy.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

FoglyOgly posted:

Please, please tell me this is like Flowers for Algernon but with Charlie. If it's anything else I really don't even want to see it. I don't even see how it could be anything else. I didn't even know I needed such a thing in my life until I read the title.

Rob McElhenney revealed on May 14, 2013 that Game of Thrones series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss wrote an episode of the ninth season of Sunny: according to Charlie Day, it's a "Flowers for Algernon" type of story about "Charlie getting smarter" in a "Limitless" style, and is called "Flowers for Charlie".

FoglyOgly
Sep 23, 2009

ShadyNasty posted:

Rob McElhenney revealed on May 14, 2013 that Game of Thrones series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss wrote an episode of the ninth season of Sunny: according to Charlie Day, it's a "Flowers for Algernon" type of story about "Charlie getting smarter" in a "Limitless" style, and is called "Flowers for Charlie".

There is a God, and he watches Always Sunny.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

gucci mangosteen posted:

Hahaha, and I thought our liquor laws here in Utah were draconian. Eat poo poo, people from other places!

Yeah, I was gonna mention Utah as a point of comparison, but then people just kept throwing out crazier PA stuff. I mean in Utah you can at least buy piss beer (<3.2%) in a grocery store/gas station, and that was even before they started loosening up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ShadyNasty posted:

I really, really hope that the Waitress is in more than one episode this season, because there's no reason for her to not be in this one.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Mortanis posted:

Charlie's fantasy reminds me of the Meet the Pyro video. He's just that detached from reality. I have no doubts that if we could see through his eyes all the time, it'd be animated and that's just how he sees the world.

And it is glorious.

I think that was my favorite part of this episode. I really like seeing Charlie's worldview

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I really, really hope that the Waitress is in more than one episode this season, because there's no reason for her to not be in this one.

Can only see that going as Charlie gets super smart, woos the waitress, then realises he is going to get dumb again so pushes her away as to not ruin the little time they had.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with the episode though, since I don't think they'll actually make him smart but instead it will be some sort of The Gang Breaks Dee twist.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Like, maybe there are gas fumes from the basement and everybody else is getting dumber - but Charlie has always been dumb so he's just really good at it and looks super-smart in comparison.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Irish Joe posted:

They probably just fill them with the cheap stuff for a bigger profit margin.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Are you guys talking about previews without spoilertags or what <:mad:>

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
No, we're discussing possible storylines based on the future episode titles. Which are not spoilers, as much as you may want them to be.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I didn't notice it until I rewatched it, but the scary story the waitress is reading Charlie and the kids during Charlies fantasy is "The Nightman Cometh".

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does anyone understand the roolz to Nyte Krollerz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
That's like the third reference to it in the series and I still don't know exactly what it is.