Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of the Power kids...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I wouldn't have minded it as much if their entire reason for making Julie a lesbian didn't boil down to "Well, she makes rainbows when she flies. Rainbows are like, totally gay, right?" Seriously, I think somebody literally says that in the comic.

I think she already was gay in the first run. So you gotta ask her creator which came first-- rainbow powers or lesbian.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It could be one of those "personality equals powers" thing.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Say Nothing posted:

Is Julie Power still dating Karolina from the Runaways?
Avengers Academy #26.

Molly-blocked!

That guy has a flaming dick. They even drew firey veins on it. Comics are hosed up, man.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

General Bort posted:

I think she already was gay in the first run. So you gotta ask her creator which came first-- rainbow powers or lesbian.

There wasn't really any sign one way or the other in the first run; Julie was just a little too young for that to come up even without the hesitation that an 80's comic publisher would have toward presenting a homosexual relationship. I doubt there was an intentional connection, the kids swapped their powers around even before Simonson stopped writing the book.

I am completely unashamed of my Power Pack knowledge. It's the best all-ages book that Marvel published in the 1980's and there have been some terrific revivals in recent years. I genuinely don't have complaints about how they're being used right now (even with the ages problem).

Cover to Spider-Man/Power Pack #3.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Okay, since you're a self-confessed Power Pack fanatic, I've always wanted to ask one: What's your opinion on the "lost" TV pilot? I thought it was terrible but innocuous. Typical mid-90's Fox Kids TV fare.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Okay, since you're a self-confessed Power Pack fanatic, I've always wanted to ask one: What's your opinion on the "lost" TV pilot? I thought it was terrible but innocuous. Typical mid-90's Fox Kids TV fare.

I've never seen it and I would have been way outside the target audience when it was made anyway. Power Pack is one of those concepts that I don't know why Marvel hasn't mined. A kid friendly, targeted at the under 12 superhero movie or television show should be able to clean up if it was competently made.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Avenger Academy #29.
Those are teenagers, Hercules. You Greek pervert.

Avengers Academy #38.
Whole lotta pranking going on.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I never really followed Marvel or DC comics, but for some reason I got into Avengers Academy for the first dozen issues or so (I think up until they moved into the bigger school). Glad to see it's still going and still fun, as someone who's quite unfamiliar with the wild world of comics and its endless deeps of continuity it felt like a good perch to survey it all from, particularly since the protagonists were new and didn't have the same confusing, meandering stories.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dolash posted:

I never really followed Marvel or DC comics, but for some reason I got into Avengers Academy for the first dozen issues or so (I think up until they moved into the bigger school). Glad to see it's still going and still fun, as someone who's quite unfamiliar with the wild world of comics and its endless deeps of continuity it felt like a good perch to survey it all from, particularly since the protagonists were new and didn't have the same confusing, meandering stories.
It's not, they cancelled the title and put nearly the entire cast into a kill-'em-all abomination.

Sorry :(

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

CapnAndy posted:

It's not, they cancelled the title and put nearly the entire cast into a kill-'em-all abomination.

...What?

Wait, they put them into a what-now?

Comics! :argh:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

CapnAndy posted:

Did X-23 survive? She's the only one I cared about :ohdear:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Dolash posted:

...What?

Wait, they put them into a what-now?

Comics! :argh:

A ripoff of Battle Royale where all the characters were forced by a C-Grade villain to kill each other. For whatever reason.

I do the same thing, getting into new series with brand new characters because they're usually more creative and unrestricted, but usually soon cancelled. Marvel has created and forgotten a ton of fun characters in the past decade.

Poor Miserable Gurgi fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 12, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If you think anyone from Avengers Arena is going to stay dead you need to read more comics.

It's as temporary as it is dumb.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Did X-23 survive? She's the only one I cared about :ohdear:

Even if the characters weren't just guaranteed to come back whenever another writer wanted them, X-23 would be the safest of the lot as the closest to an A-lister the book's title has. Also, she's been announced as being in other titles after Arena ends.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Mr. Maltose posted:

If you think anyone from Avengers Arena is going to stay dead you need to read more comics.

It's as temporary as it is dumb.

No but a bunch of the ones that survive are going to have it worse judging from the NYCC previews, they get to be evil. Being dead is an easy fix but if you aren't Magneto once you go villain you hardly ever make it back to hero for more then a single arc.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Angry Walrus posted:

Even if the characters weren't just guaranteed to come back whenever another writer wanted them, X-23 would be the safest of the lot as the closest to an A-lister the book's title has. Also, she's been announced as being in other titles after Arena ends.

Considering she's shown up on a cover for one of the next X-Men issues, I think she managed to survive.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tensokuu posted:

Considering she's shown up on a cover for one of the next X-Men issues, I think she managed to survive.

She is going to be making Wolverine so so uncomfortable

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Avenger Academy #27.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SirDan3k posted:

No but a bunch of the ones that survive are going to have it worse judging from the NYCC previews, they get to be evil. Being dead is an easy fix but if you aren't Magneto once you go villain you hardly ever make it back to hero for more then a single arc.

If you are talking about the cover with Baron Zemo, I don't think so.

I guess, since this is speculation based on the solicit.
They are supposed to be in a book called "Avengers: Underground" which is about teen heroes, so Deathlockett, Bloodstone and Anachranisim go undercover to get into a Masters of Evil group and bring it down from the inside.
Like there could be some "temptation to switch side" thing, but it looks like they are making it out alive.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Say Nothing posted:

Avenger Academy #27.

The *GASP!* look is priceless.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Say Nothing posted:

Avenger Academy #29.
Those are teenagers, Hercules. You Greek pervert.

Finesse is intrigued, X-23 is unimpressed.

quote:

Avengers Academy #38.
Whole lotta pranking going on.

Oh god Warbird and Quicksilver making out under the bleachers.

Why did Hopeless have to ruin it? WHYYY!?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Via Tumblr

Probably one of the best goofy covers ever :)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

To me it looks like X-23 is trying to act unimpressed. But she does seem to be looking down towards his knee.
"Yeah it's pretty big. I guess."

quote:

Oh god Warbird and Quicksilver making out under the bleachers.

Wow, I never saw that before. I guess I was too busy marveling at Hank Pym using his particles to enlarge Wolverine's sandwich.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

Wow, I never saw that before. I guess I was too busy marveling at Hank Pym using his particles to enlarge Wolverine's sandwich.

That has to be an homage to the Colossus sandwich panel, right?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Julie Power, unsurprisingly is about to throw up.

Wolverine and the X-Men #17.
Doop!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What is Doop? Is he a thing like MXZPLYZTX or whatever or is he a mutant ghost machine or what?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Drifter posted:

What is Doop? Is he a thing like MXZPLYZTX or whatever or is he a mutant ghost machine or what?

Doop is awesome. You should go read X-Statix

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Doop is Doop.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Drifter posted:

Doop is Doop.

Anyone have that page where he's being attacking by someone trying to brainwash him with TV and retaliates with his home movies? Or did I make that up?

Edit: Beaten like anyone who's fought Squirrel Girl.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Drifter posted:

He looks like if Slimer was into comics and made up his self-insert Mary Sue that was really popular with all the mutants. Really popular. :pervert:

Anyone remember Bloodstrike? Here's two characters from that universe, Troll and Seahawk.

They look so familiar to me, somehow.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wolverine and the X-men 34

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 13, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I only just noticed he put an NC-17 rating tag on his personal home movies :xd:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Drifter posted:

I just found that issue, and in this context he's the black bag man, defending the school against external threats nobody wants anybody to know about. Such as the League of Nazi Bowlers.

Or possibly even Satan himself.

ETA: JFC table breaking.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Via Tumblr

Probably one of the best goofy covers ever :)

I'll be goddamned. I was just trying to remember this comic the other day. I had one of the Creature Commando comics when I was a kid and it was loving marvelous. A werewolf, a medusa, a Frankenstein's monster and a vampire team up to fight nazis :allears:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'll be goddamned. I was just trying to remember this comic the other day. I had one of the Creature Commando comics when I was a kid and it was loving marvelous. A werewolf, a medusa, a Frankenstein's monster and a vampire team up to fight nazis :allears:

I'll see your Creature Commando's and raise you "Nick Fury's Howling Commandos*". It was a Marvel SHIELD team made up of monsters like a mummy, a zombie and a Warwolf. That's a wearwolf who gets his powers from Mars, not the Moon.

*= Not to be confused with Sgt. Fury's Howling Commandos who are a bunch of soldiers from WW2.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

Wolverine and the X-men 34

Thank you, that's awesome. Might want to make it a timg to stop breaking tables, though.

darthbob88 posted:

I just found that issue, and in this context he's the black bag man, defending the school against external threats nobody wants anybody to know about. Such as the League of Nazi Bowlers.

Or possibly even Satan himself.

ETA: JFC table breaking.

Clearly there needs to be a Doop & Squirrel Girl team-up book. Maybe throw in Deadpool, too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just read the Wikipedia article on Doop.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm pretty sure you can trace all modern furry fandom back to Princess Sally from the Sonic cartoon (and that comic) and possibly Gadget from Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers.
Blame the television series, and specifically Rouge the Bat and her oversized bat-rack.

Contribution:
Bravest Warriors #1.

Bravest Warriors #6.
The best way to deal with evil alternate versions of yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
drat, this thread doesn't get many posts.

Contribution...

I don't know the source.
I really don't want to know.

• Locked thread