Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I just pulled the trigger on a 2009 Jet Black 135i Sport 6MT. Oh god debt. Oh god, that NOISE! It has a Berk Technology Race axleback. Not sure if it has a midsection as well.

I'll get some pictures and a sound clip in here sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Man, 1's are growing on me. I hated the melty look at first, but those are some good lookin' cars.
Nice grab, post pics

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Really a shame they didn't do more with the 1M Coupe. It was really the modern day interpretation of the E30 M3 in my book. Light weight, small, fun, and handles well.

Yeah yeah I know that the turbo isn't completely correct, but god drat, its a sexy little car.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'll never get over the droopy door sills.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
The new m235i (coupe) due out next year is supposed to be faster than the 1M around the Nürburgring.

E36 sized, much improved suspension, 320hp/tq, and optional LSD. No more droopy door sills either. I will probably finally replace my ZHP with that when it arrives.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've definitely got my eye on the M235i as well. It seems like it could be a modern spiritual successor to my E46 330ci.

I'm just afraid that it's going to end up costing like 50k once you add on the options that normal people buy daily driver cars with, at which point it's hard to ignore what you can pick up in the lightly used market for that much cash (or even a lot less).

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 11, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yeah, for the cost of a new M235, it wouldn't be hard to find a lightly used E92 M3 or 1M.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
The newer/older considerations are true about any car at any price range. Personally, I like more compact cars than the last generation 3 series, so cross shopping the M3 and m235i isn't really that relevant to me.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Five or six years down the line I'd pick up a used M235i in a heartbeat. They are shaping up to be pretty sweet.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Really a shame they didn't do more with the 1M Coupe. It was really the modern day interpretation of the E30 M3 in my book. Light weight, small, fun, and handles well.

'Light' isn't really applicable to the 1 series. The E82 1M weighs about 100 lbs. more than my 4 door E46. They're only a little lighter than the E90s.

That said, I still love the 135 and M135 - cheaper than an M3, and just as fast.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

HotCanadianChick posted:

'Light' isn't really applicable to the 1 series. The E82 1M weighs about 100 lbs. more than my 4 door E46. They're only a little lighter than the E90s.

That said, I still love the 135 and M135 - cheaper than an M3, and just as fast.

lets be honest, any car under 3500 is considered light in this day of bloated cars.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

lets be honest, any car under 3500 is considered light in this day of bloated cars.

True, dat.

Though there have been plenty of fat, heavy cars in the past, too. The 1987 Supra Turbo I used to have felt, if anything, twice it's size and portly weight (around 3600-3700 lbs.) Anyone complaining about fat cars needs to drive one of those first to see what a really fat car feels like.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

HotCanadianChick posted:

True, dat.

Though there have been plenty of fat, heavy cars in the past, too. The 1987 Supra Turbo I used to have felt, if anything, twice it's size and portly weight (around 3600-3700 lbs.) Anyone complaining about fat cars needs to drive one of those first to see what a really fat car feels like.

My 93' 525i is a heavy girl at 3600lbs but it actually handles really well for its weight. The only price for such nice handling is that it crushes various bushings into dust every year or so.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
So about 3 weeks ago I pull the trigger on an E34 535i. Auto, but still pretty fun, really good cruiser but a pig on fuel around town. Came with a set of 18" wheels from an M5 that did not suit it at all, as shown:

So, about $500 later, got some stock Style 5 15s, and IMO it looks a million times better.

Couple of things need to be addressed, but they're in the budget and should get it all sorted in the coming months.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/4094765727.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4122198687.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4123347528.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4100819064.html

Seems like local M3s are high priced and generally tasteless. Where should I be looking if I want to spend about $7k at most? California? I don't mind roadtrips.

Am I the one smoking crack thinking I can get a decent E36 M3 for 7k-ish, or are the people asking 8k++++ the ones smoking crack?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 13, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I keep wanting to find a cleanish 535i stick. There was one in the junk yard a while back.... it mad me sad to see it there.

What's your highway milage like?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I took a better video of the stock exhaust with the Turner pipes installed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJdnP-dPQ_k
the next in the playlist is me sort of driving around normally

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BlackMK4 posted:

Where should I be looking if I want to spend about $7k at most? California? I don't mind roadtrips.

Texas prices seem good; I paid $4900 at a strip mall dealer for my 540i, and am happy as a clam. No rust to worry about as long as you're not buying like a Galveston car. Probably a hell of a drive for you, though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jonny 290 posted:

Texas prices seem good; I paid $4900 at a strip mall dealer for my 540i, and am happy as a clam. No rust to worry about as long as you're not buying like a Galveston car. Probably a hell of a drive for you, though.

I bought a Daytona 675 on Halloween night last year in ABQ, NM. Driving a car home is no issue after that one.
I'll check their CL now.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Party Alarm posted:

Five or six years down the line I'd pick up a used M235i in a heartbeat. They are shaping up to be pretty sweet.
Same. We'll be about tired of the MINI by then, and the M235i will probably be right in line with what we'd like to spend.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

When does the 2-Series hit the states?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I keep wanting to find a cleanish 535i stick. There was one in the junk yard a while back.... it mad me sad to see it there.

What's your highway milage like?

I used to have a '90 535i 5-speed. It was a brutal gas hog. It could barely get 20mpg on the highway if you drove like a grandma. More realistically like 18-19mpg highway, like 14-15mpg city.

Cool car though, but honestly I don't miss it that much.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
So I went and checked out the 91' 318i today. Sadly it has a lot more problems than he lead me to believe. There was some unknown oil leak that had the oil pan caked in oil. The differential looked like it was also leaking oil. The Drivers seat was broken on the left back brace so you couldn't even sit in the seat correctly. When you pushed the clutch all the way down to the floor it made a horrible grinding noise. Tons of the internal trim needed to be replaced or glued down. The dash board was cracked horribly all over the place. Third gear popped out twice while I was accelerating to get on the highway. Most of the internal electrical needed work. 3/4 windows worked correctly, but neither of the wing mirrors were responding.

But, the body looked very straight, the engine sounded really good. No rust I could find. It was everything I wanted, but for too much. I offered $900 and he came as low as $1300 but I just couldn't see spending that much on something that was going to be sitting in my garage for the next 6 months. I really wanted it though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Tab8715 posted:

When does the 2-Series hit the states?

At the earliest, this time next year. More likely early 2015.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Noxious posted:

So I went and checked out the 91' 318i today.

Oil leaks and superior German Adhesives

Sounds about right for this car.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

You guys get goony for V8 power right?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/cto/4104109224.html

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Really nice car, but overpriced for what you get. If finishing it was so simple, he'd do it so he could sell it for more. Love it though.

EDIT: I'd finish it and put it back to bone stock appearance, with stock 325e wheels.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
13k for a swap with a leaky exhaust, wiring issues (keeping the EWS, ugh) and basically no interior. Ha.

The M62 swap seems to be the motor de jour in e30s, but it's really starting to grate on me. I've got two local idiots doing these swaps and talking about "optimal weight distribution" when they probably couldn't tell the difference between an M42 and an M30 in the front of an e30. There's this weird culture surrounding e30s where it's not cool to do the well-documented, easy swap. It's gotta be something ridiculous...recently I heard someone tell me they were looking to buy a K20, the honda motor with 197hp and 140ft-lbs.

Personally I'd just go for an LS1 over an M6x any day. I've gotten to the point where BMW purists really start to piss me off.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
13k could get you into an E46 M3 and as much as I love E30s, I don't think I'd trade a half finished V8 swapped one for an M3.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Isn't the E34 M50 a simple drop in for the E30? Why in the world wouldn't you just do that and get the comforti chip.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

8ender posted:

Isn't the E34 M50 a simple drop in for the E30? Why in the world wouldn't you just do that and get the comforti chip.

Insert incoherent ramblings about power to weight, and something else random and stupid.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

My M50 E34 is still a hoot even though its a panzer tank. The same engine in something ~1000lbs lighter sounds like a RWD fun machine. What is wrong with people.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

This is the one. Take $7500 cash and go see it. gently caress dude, what more do you want? Records, one owner, good shape...? Who gives a poo poo if the wheels are chrome, you know you're going to ditch them anyway.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

8ender posted:

Power and sound are pretty good reasons to do an M60.

LS_ motors are superior in many ways, but you can get a well taken care of M62b44 for $250 at a junkyard.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Party Alarm posted:

Power and sound are pretty good reasons to do an M60.

LS_ motors are superior in many ways, but you can get a well taken care of M62b44 for $250 at a junkyard.

Don't get me wrong, I love the M62, and there is a ton of cars and other car makers that use the M62 and to an extent, its more powerful brother, the S62. But the motor is god drat huge for its size

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But the motor is god drat huge for its size

That is pretty much true of every DOHC V8.

The flipside of this is that DOHC, multivalve engines make significantly more horsepower for their displacement than 2 valve OHV designs like an SBC. Which is why you see BMW making 400+ HP out of 4 liters where it takes a 6.2l SBC to make the similar power figures.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 14, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The first week of my E39 ownership was highlighted by popping the hood for car guys. JESUS IS THAT A CUMMINS

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I finally figured out what that unlabeled 3rd button in my center console does, the one next to the defrost button. I don't know why I need a button that turns off all the power windows/sunroof but I guess it's nice to know that it exists.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have two. One is on the console and the other is behind the steering wheel. They are simple switches on a simple circuit. Both must be on for the windows to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

rscott posted:

I finally figured out what that unlabeled 3rd button in my center console does, the one next to the defrost button. I don't know why I need a button that turns off all the power windows/sunroof but I guess it's nice to know that it exists.

Similar to how the radio and climate control points towards the driver and not the passenger, that button is to lock out all the non drivers from further messing with the operation of your ultimate driving machine.

8ender fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 15, 2013