Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

I wonder how many of those response letters he posted for his followup column were misquoted...

I think Redskins is a disgusting name and should be changed immediately. I can not believe people do not think this is as obviously disgusting as Chief Wahoo. I really hope my letter isn't altered in any way and you print how angry I actually am. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I seriously cannot get over how lovely Rick Reilly must be.

He framed his father-in-law as a race traitor.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Calling someone an "Uncle Tom" is an incredible insult. Making someone into an Uncle Tom without their consent is like.....holy poo poo

Dank Fishbong
Jan 17, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm actually considering whether I should even go on ESPN just to check for stats anymore if ESPN just lets this go. I might just use Yahoo! sports or CBS Sports for updates, I think I'm done giving ESPN page hits. It means nothing in the big picture, but it feels right anyways.

I'll still follow ESPN employees like Adam Schefter on twitter, but not on the main site.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I've boycotted Cleveland.com after its parent company laid people off and switched to a digital strategy, so yeah why not? And since Twitter is free, you can still follow Schefter.

I think there's no way they let this go, though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Rap posted:

Calling someone an "Uncle Tom" is an incredible insult. Making someone into an Uncle Tom without their consent is like.....holy poo poo

Its beyond that. It's not just someone making someone else an Uncle Tom. This is a white man who lied about the opinions of an actual native american to tell other native americans they should not offended.

That is like the shittiest thing you could do before the Geneva convention would be involved.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kalli posted:

I wonder how many of those response letters he posted for his followup column were misquoted...

Go to the Washington Post's site, find an article about the name issue, and watch people rabidly defend it, no matter what mental gymnastics are required.

The worst are the "its racist" --> "no its not" --> "are you a minority?" --> "yes I'm a black guy" --> "so we can call a team the Fighting Negromen?" --> "THATS NOT THE SAME."

The articles about the old black guy that dresses up like an Indian Chief may have been the worst comments in internet history.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Sash! posted:

Go to the Washington Post's site, find an article about the name issue, and watch people rabidly defend it, no matter what mental gymnastics are required.

The worst are the "its racist" --> "no its not" --> "are you a minority?" --> "yes I'm a black guy" --> "so we can call a team the Fighting Negromen?" --> "THATS NOT THE SAME."

The articles about the old black guy that dresses up like an Indian Chief may have been the worst comments in internet history.

Basing genpop opinions, stances, and arguments off Internet comments is a really risky proposition--Internet comments almost as a rule tend to bring out extremism in groups and strange, ugly sides in people thanks to the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

I'm certainly not denying that he could haul up real, authentic, perfectly-quoted letters agreeing with him out of his huge mailbag, but trying to gain a sense of how the whole world looks and thinks based off the minorities that populate comment chains and message boards will give you a view of humanity composed primarily of extremist shitheads.

Dank Fishbong
Jan 17, 2013

by XyloJW

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its beyond that. It's not just someone making someone else an Uncle Tom. This is a white man who lied about the opinions of an actual native american to tell other native americans they should not offended.

That is like the shittiest thing you could do before the Geneva convention would be involved.

Amazingly, that isn't even what pissed me off the most.

Bob Burns posted:

When Rick’s article came out, it upset me to be portrayed as an “Uncle Tom” in support of this racial slur. I asked him to correct the record. He has not, so I must do it myself.
Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/10/10/blackfeet-elder-says-rick-reilly-misquoted-him-wants-redskins-banned-151696

What the gently caress kind of degenerate piece of poo poo do you have to be to not only make your own family member who was willing to give you his opinions on this look like an Uncle Tom and then refuse to change the record just because? (not to mention in an article with smug rear end in a top hat levels that would make Greg Schiano blush on top of massive racism)

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rpkd7s

quote:

While I stand by the reporting in my Sept. 18 column about the Washington Redskins nickname controversy, and felt I accurately quoted my father-in-law in the piece, clearly he feels differently. This is an incredibly sensitive issue, and Bob felt he had more to say on the subject after that column was posted on ESPN.com. We've spoken and cleared this up. I admire Bob and respect his opinions, and he's welcome to express them. Bob and I are good and I'm looking forward to my next steak with him.

I feel that this is full of bullshit.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

I feel that this is full of bullshit.

We got a Jedi here folks.

Dank Fishbong
Jan 17, 2013

by XyloJW
I admire Reilly's incredible ability of missing the point.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Look, I'm sorry I quoted him wrong and represented him poorly in front of a world audience, but he really should have kept the issue within the family to be sorted out so in light of that and other issues, I will not be apologizing for these events.

Dank Fishbong
Jan 17, 2013

by XyloJW
He didn't even own up to misquoting his father-in-law, he flat out said "I quoted him correctly."

Geez, Rick, given your track record of integrity so far, I wonder why people would doubt you.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Well the important thing here is that him and his father-in-law are simpatico again.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DasNasty posted:

He didn't even own up to misquoting his father-in-law, he flat out said "I quoted him correctly."

Geez, Rick, given your track record of integrity so far, I wonder why people would doubt you.

I wonder if he figures he is so far deep into shithead territory its pointless to turn back now

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DasNasty posted:

Eh, he's going to play the angle that his father in law lied about being misquoted without actually coming out and saying it. It's really about all he can do other than just be like "Yup, I did it. Fire me if you want."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Smoke 'em. Do it, ESPN.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm certainly not denying that he could haul up real, authentic, perfectly-quoted letters agreeing with him out of his huge mailbag, but trying to gain a sense of how the whole world looks and thinks based off the minorities that populate comment chains and message boards will give you a view of humanity composed primarily of extremist shitheads.

Maybe I could also cite...everything else that can provide a source of information. People defend that name pretty fiercely.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Surprised Reilly didn't let us know that they were buffalo steaks.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wonder if he figures he is so far deep into shithead territory its pointless to turn back now

This implies a level of self-awareness I don't think Rick's capable of.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.
The only problem with Washington changing their name is the inevitable change to the "Washington Tigers" and Dan Snyder suing a bunch of college teams, the Detroit Tigers, and Tiger Woods for trademark infringement.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
A friend of mine just sent me this on Facebook, so this story is definitely picking up steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbhNJkRnXUo
I forgot about this video. gently caress that slimey fucker.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
"felt I accurately quoted my father in law" did you take loving notes, dipshit? Like any Journalism 101 student knows they should?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chichevache posted:

A friend of mine just sent me this on Facebook, so this story is definitely picking up steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbhNJkRnXUo
I forgot about this video. gently caress that slimey fucker.

I am surprised the guy actually went ahead and said "Rick had it first on twitter." I feel like my basic human dignity would just make the words unable to form in my mouth after that poo poo.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Rap posted:

"felt I accurately quoted my father in law" did you take loving notes, dipshit? Like any Journalism 101 student knows they should?

The guy who interviewed the Pope a couple of weeks ago didn't bother to take notes. Said guy has owned an Italian newspaper for several decades :psyduck:

Life goes by better if you just bask in the sea of incompetence rather than swimming against the riptide.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am surprised the guy actually went ahead and said "Rick had it first on twitter." I feel like my basic human dignity would just make the words unable to form in my mouth after that poo poo.

Your mistake was assuming Stu Scott had basic human dignity. Boo-ya.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rap posted:

Or use a tape recorder. Or even have the basic mental capacity to remember that something is the exact opposite of the point you are trying to make with your column.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
That loving pathetic excuse is pissing me off now

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Or use a tape recorder. Or even have the basic mental capacity to remember that something is the exact opposite of the point you are trying to make with your column.

"You wanna see my notes!? They're right here!" *Throws an empty notebook at you.* *Gus gets fired*

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
So a radio host and writer in Dallas wrote a lengthy in-depth analysis of Tony Romo for the CBS station there.

Which was pretty much entirely, sometimes with the exception of a few words, copy-pasted from someone else' article. Like, the most blatant plagiarism you could do.

EDIT: and now the guy is on twitter repeatedly apologizing to the author and backtracking, claiming he didn't mean any harm and just researched stats from a bunch of areas. Which somehow leads to nearly identical 1,500 word articles.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Holy poo poo, good for Scott Kascmar for ripping that piece of poo poo apart.

Here's the rear end in a top hat desperately trying to cover his rear end (read from the bottom):

quote:

@MrChrisArnold 3h
@FO_ScottKacsmar your great work needs to be shared properly and i'd like to have you on the air to give you your props.

‏@MrChrisArnold 3h
@FO_ScottKacsmar also, i'd love to have u as a guest on our show. pls DM me so that we can contact u. again, u sir are greatness.

@MrChrisArnold 3h
@FO_ScottKacsmar i have absolutely no problem giving u tremendous credit for ur fine work. and will gladly do so properly. well deserved!

‏@MrChrisArnold 3h
@FO_ScottKacsmar again, no harm intended. all of the information i gathered was to balance the argument and shed light. u sir, are greatness

‏@MrChrisArnold 3h
@FO_ScottKacsmar i will also continue to give u, the wall street journal, jonathan bales, espn stats etc credit for proving this point.

@MrChrisArnold 3h
@FO_ScottKacsmar u are truly awesome. no harm intended. i will credit u & other sources of stats & data i used to gather this information.

‏@MrChrisArnold 3h
@FO_ScottKacsmar major apolgies for not crediting u for ur article. i looked over several sources for stats and data. u sir are trulyawesome

Dank Fishbong
Jan 17, 2013

by XyloJW

quote:

Jason McIntyre ‏@jasonrmcintyre 16h

Just a misunderstanding, obviously RT @tyduffy: Updated with Reilly statement. http://shar.es/EqJmS via @thebiglead
Hey, I agree. I too have heard people say "wow, this is really racist and terrible, I hope it goes away" and accidentally have interpreted as "it's no biggie, I don't care."

Wait, sorry, let me try that again. I have heard people say "I don't care about this racist thing" and then they act like they do care??? Well, it happens to the best of us, right?

warheadr posted:

So a radio host and writer in Dallas wrote a lengthy in-depth analysis of Tony Romo for the CBS station there.

Which was pretty much entirely, sometimes with the exception of a few words, copy-pasted from someone else' article. Like, the most blatant plagiarism you could do.

EDIT: and now the guy is on twitter repeatedly apologizing to the author and backtracking, claiming he didn't mean any harm and just researched stats from a bunch of areas. Which somehow leads to nearly identical 1,500 word articles.

This is hilarious, and I hope Arnold gets driven to a full meltdown :unsmigghh:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

St1cky posted:

The only problem with Washington changing their name is the inevitable change to the "Washington Tigers" and Dan Snyder suing a bunch of college teams, the Detroit Tigers, and Tiger Woods for trademark infringement.

Look the logo already kinda looks like a quarter, so just change it to Washington and become the Washington Washingtons.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just gonna leave this here........

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/sons-death-doesnt-make-adrian-peterson-a-great-person/?utm_source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

Bravely lovely even for Mushnick

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Phil Mushnick, has he continued his war against Pro Wrestling that he carried through the 90s?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

quote:

The suspect in the beating murder of Peterson’s 2-year-old is the boyfriend of Peterson’s “baby mama” — now the casual, flippant, detestable and common buzz-phrase for absentee, wham-bam fatherhood.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Rap posted:

Holy poo poo, good for Scott Kascmar for ripping that piece of poo poo apart.

Here's the rear end in a top hat desperately trying to cover his rear end (read from the bottom):

This was incredibly painful to read.

Dank Fishbong
Jan 17, 2013

by XyloJW

Well if you are a godawful beatwriter you might as well try to be a massive scumbag, any attention is good attention right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

The age demanded an image / Of its accelerated grimace
Is there an article out there by Mushnick praising Brett Favre for his grit and determination for playing after his Dad's death? There must be, right?

• Locked thread