Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Read
Dec 21, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

Not as of 1.2 you don't.

Whaaaat, for real? That's a really nice change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

LAY-ZX posted:

Right click buffs in the hotbar to turn them off.

Also Gills potions no longer drown you outside of water.

SireRamen
Oct 11, 2013

Heavy neutrino posted:

Seriously? That's amazing, I'll have to try that out sometime as that's killed me in the past!

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Heavy neutrino posted:

Same thing for obsidian skin potions: you no longer need to go up for breath like water now. I can't tell you how many times forgetting this pre-1.2 killed me and dropped tons of money straight into lava.

Also, I love some of the new title splash text. Terraria: Obsessive-Compulsive Discovery Simulator

e: also, your social dye slots apparently alter the colors you are as a werewolf too :allears:

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 11, 2013

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space

Read posted:

Whaaaat, for real? That's a really nice change.

Yeah, that's an awesome change if true. I haven't gotten the staff yet since Plantera dicked me out of anything useful the one time I've killed him but I'll go murder him a few more times.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

LAY-ZX posted:

Not as of 1.2 you don't.

What are you saying here, spawn rates go up just from having a water candle in your inventory, if you place them on the ground or both?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pilchenstein posted:

What are you saying here, spawn rates go up just from having a water candle in your inventory, if you place them on the ground or both?

According to the wiki, a placed Water Candle has the same effect (but does not stack with) a held Water Candle.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

You have to put it down somewhere. That also means if you're trying to make a mad dash through the dungeon you should be sure to knock any you see off the wall.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Kyrosiris posted:

According to the wiki, a placed Water Candle has the same effect (but does not stack with) a held Water Candle.

Huh? The wiki says the opposite:

quote:

Multiple placed candles do not stack, but the bonuses from holding and placing a candle do.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Heavy neutrino posted:

Huh? The wiki says the opposite:

Oh. Clearly I should not try to read the wiki while distracted at work then. :doh:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

lohli posted:

Actually it's not really linear at all. I mean, it does have a pretty straight forward progression but the game allows you to sequence break. You can go from wood/copper straight to demonite/crimtane, trigger hardmode, and go straight to the dungeon for ectoplasm gear.
:objection:
The latest patch made it so the hardmode dungeon doesn't activate until after you kill Plantera!

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone got any pointers for beating the twins? I beat them before back when they had more hp and did more damage but for some reason I just can't kill them now. I've been using a megashark with crystal bullets. And tons of buffs.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Just as a heads up if people have trouble with joining games - the server software has auto port forwarding. I had a friend without access to his router just host his own server to join mine

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Hummingbirds posted:

Anyone got any pointers for beating the twins? I beat them before back when they had more hp and did more damage but for some reason I just can't kill them now. I've been using a megashark with crystal bullets. And tons of buffs.

If they're really causing you problems, build a skybridge and run away from them while you shoot them.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

:objection:
The latest patch made it so the hardmode dungeon doesn't activate until after you kill Plantera!

No, but the normal enemies there still spawn dungeon spirits. They made it easier to get spectre armor.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Read posted:

If they're really causing you problems, build a skybridge and run away from them while you shoot them.

Thanks, I guess I should have one anyway.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Hummingbirds posted:

First up, I assume you're using at least the adamantite/titanium armour, right? You might also want to reforge accessories to +defence. In terms of in battle strategy, I suggest just going up and down in kind of a circle with a gravitation potion. You should more or less be able to dodge around them. If you've got a megashark, I assume you've beaten the destroyer, so grabbing hallowed armour and some greater healing potions if you haven't already is a good idea. Beyond that, perhaps farm mimics for a philosophers stone?

If you're already doing all of that, I don't think anyone can help you.

Can you still cheese bosses by taking off the obsidian whatever, grappling onto some meteorite and wearing the cross necklace and cobalt shield so you'll just keep taking one damage each second from the meteorite and having invincibility frames taking most of the boss attacks?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

apostateCourier posted:

No, but the normal enemies there still spawn dungeon spirits. They made it easier to get spectre armor.

Have you tried this? Because I thought only enemies with more than 100 hp had a chance to spawn spirits, and that means only the dungeon slime until you unlock the harder dungeon mobs.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

First up, I assume you're using at least the adamantite/titanium armour, right? You might also want to reforge accessories to +defence. In terms of in battle strategy, I suggest just going up and down in kind of a circle with a gravitation potion. You should more or less be able to dodge around them. If you've got a megashark, I assume you've beaten the destroyer, so grabbing hallowed armour and some greater healing potions if you haven't already is a good idea. Beyond that, perhaps farm mimics for a philosophers stone?

If you're already doing all of that, I don't think anyone can help you.

Can you still cheese bosses by taking off the obsidian whatever, grappling onto some meteorite and wearing the cross necklace and cobalt shield so you'll just keep taking one damage each second from the meteorite and having invincibility frames taking most of the boss attacks?

I have hallowed armor and 62 defense equipped. Not including every defense buff there is. I'm probably just rusty I guess.

And no. I checked, the hellstone bridge I made awhile back now does 4-5 30-50 damage each second instead of 1 damage.

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 12, 2013

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I was under the impression that player-placed walls would stop enemies from spawning, but during eclipses and blood moons monsters are still getting all up in my poo poo. Are small gaps in the walls like the ones on the sides of the ankh and red brick chimney here:

still valid spawn locations? Cause that is some bullhonkey.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

During blood moons it's a free for all (they can spawn in your house) and the mobs can open doors.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Hummingbirds posted:

And no. I checked, the hellstone bridge I made awhile back now does 4-5 damage each second instead of 1 damage.

Pity.

I'd have thought you've got more than enough. I'm honestly kind of surprised what you've got isn't doing it, especially if you're buffing. You're using an arena, right?

VV it was really stupid, but when you were starting to run out of options that weren't insane things like go farm mimics for three hours to get the right accessories and then get twenty platinum to reforge all your gear to the best possible modifiers, it was neat.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 12, 2013

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

They took out the hellstone/cross necklace exploit because it was pretty dumb. The bosses were also dumb, but they've been nerfed a little bit.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Ixjuvin posted:

I was under the impression that player-placed walls would stop enemies from spawning, but during eclipses and blood moons monsters are still getting all up in my poo poo. Are small gaps in the walls like the ones on the sides of the ankh and red brick chimney here:

still valid spawn locations? Cause that is some bullhonkey.

Eclipses/Blood Moons specifically overwrite the normal spawn rules and cause monsters to spawn no matter where you are. That's part of what makes them so dangerous.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Metal Meltdown posted:

Eclipses/Blood Moons specifically overwrite the normal spawn rules and cause monsters to spawn no matter where you are. That's part of what makes them so dangerous.

Oh, all right. :argh: I'm at a point where they're less 'dangerous' and more 'interrupting my interior design'. There's nothing more vicious than a cornered decorator, let me tell you.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

Pity.

I'd have thought you've got more than enough. I'm honestly kind of surprised what you've got isn't doing it, especially if you're buffing. You're using an arena, right?

I just checked again -- I was way off, it's more like 50 damage a second, so it'll kill you pretty loving quick.

Yeah, but it's right under a floating island and I think that's impeding my mobility a bit. Gonna do the skybridge. It's been awhile since I played and to be honest I'm not a "gamer" at all, I think I just need to get back in the swing of it.

All I want is a fairy bell. Need those souls :v:

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

What does it look like in non snow biome's during a blizzard? I figured it'd just be when it's raining out but the golem didnt spawn the entire time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Renzuko posted:

What does it look like in non snow biome's during a blizzard? I figured it'd just be when it's raining out but the golem didnt spawn the entire time.

It is when its raining you just got unlucky with the spawns.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Lame...Probably doesn't help that my crimson is right in the middle of my snow biome.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Golems get stuck on the terrain a lot and falls into pits super easily. Make sure to look around a little bit.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Holy poo poo i forgot about the sky dragon being a thing, my usual method of travel is climb up to my mushroom sky biome, jump into space then use my umbrella to fall for a long rear end time...all of a sudden, here's legally distinct not falcor flying after me he friggin WASTED me, doesn't help that I'd just used a potion to restore my health from an angry nimbus so all of that was on cooldown.

And yeah, I think next time it's not raining I'm gonna go out to the snow biome and flatten it out for ease of golem killing/getting killed by the golem because I'm still wearing molten armor.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Logan 5 posted:

:raise: Interestingly, Terraria gets Palladium wrong too. It's a bright silvery element, not orange.
The vast majority of metals are silvery in real life. They probably exaggerate/change the colors so people aren't going, "Is this Tin, Iron, Silver, Platinum, Palladium, Mythril, or Titanium?"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zemyla posted:

The vast majority of metals are silvery in real life. They probably exaggerate/change the colors so people aren't going, "Is this Tin, Iron, Silver, Platinum, Palladium, Mythril, or Titanium?"

I still have that issue between Silver and Platinum. :saddowns:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Read posted:

Or make an utterly massive cargo net out of hundreds thousands of ropes. Horizontal movement is kind of slow but vertical movement is fast. Also you can just grab on and jump back off to effectively refresh your jump/flight accessories. Just with Lightning Boots, Cloud in a Balloon with Horseshoe, and Magic Carpet I can move around in the air for a good while and a quick grab and release on rope let me do it all over again. Touch and go smoothly and you'll basically be flying non-stop while fighting stuff.

Zemyla posted:

I still do this, especially when using a spelunking potion because the glow just gets in the way even more. :(

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Ugh. I am bad at the video games. I still can't kill Plantera - I just don't do nearly enough damage to him. I've now got Adamantite armor, I pull him to the surface, and I can't even get him down to halfway. I have a golden shower, a Mythical Frost Staff (71 dmg in caster gear!), a mushroom spear, a zealous ice bow shooting hellfire arrows.. and nothing works. He just stomps the crap out of me.

Halp!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

TwystNeko posted:

Ugh. I am bad at the video games. I still can't kill Plantera - I just don't do nearly enough damage to him. I've now got Adamantite armor, I pull him to the surface, and I can't even get him down to halfway. I have a golden shower, a Mythical Frost Staff (71 dmg in caster gear!), a mushroom spear, a zealous ice bow shooting hellfire arrows.. and nothing works. He just stomps the crap out of me.

Halp!

Lure him to the surface and have an arena or a big open space to fight him. Equip any jump enhancing accessories such as Wings and make sure they have the "Warded" Prefix, which adds +4 to defense. You do have Wings at this point, right? Mobility is key. You can't just facetank bosses and expect to win, gotta keep moving.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TwystNeko posted:

Halp!
Try getting some Hallowed armor/weapons?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I don't understand, this game has some sort of progression, but I have yet to even come across any of it. Just a lot of holes and bypassing large bodies of water in dungeons.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

I don't understand, this game has some sort of progression, but I have yet to even come across any of it. Just a lot of holes and bypassing large bodies of water in dungeons.

Progression is kinda open-ended, and it's as you find things.

That Walkthrough link I linked earlier is decent for pre-hardmode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

Once you've got decent armour, explore the surface more.

• Locked thread